PDA

View Full Version : vibram fivefinger hiking shoes -- ever tried em?

jefals
10-24-2013, 03:36
Are y'all familiar with these? My daughter-in-law informed me of them today. Below is a link to these shoes on amazon.

I did a hike yesterday, steep climb, I'd say about 2400 feet, and my toes were really jamming and I was in major pain. My big toenail is blue, and I will surely lose it...just a matter of time.
So these shoes look like they might eliminate that problem, and I was just wondering if y'all know anything about them.
Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dshoes&field-keywords=vibram+five+finger+hiking+shoes&rh=n%3A672123011%2Ck%3Avibram+five+finger+hiking+s hoes

WolfCBP
10-24-2013, 06:58
I mow my lawn in them and do water sports, that is about it. The soles are not as thick as boots and shoes. Depending on the trail, the bottom of your feet could be quite tender after a hike. Also, it is very easy to "stub" your toe. Personally, I would not use mine for hiking, but I recommend considering the opinions others might leave since we all have preferences.

Durtydan
10-24-2013, 07:55
I have a pair of VFF that I use hiking all the time aside from very low temps (and I'm tempted to get a thick pair of toe socks and try it this season) but the tenderness you are talking about is only in the beginning as your feet toughen up to not having the cushioning that you'd normally have and the stubbing is also something that can be avoided as time goes on as you not only toughen your feet up but it changes your entire stance and mode of walking (for the better of course). I'd say if you have an REI, or EMS close by, check for a clearance pair and give them a shot. Do not buy them an go straight to the woods, take a few days/weeks and break in your foot on reg terrain and go slow with it. You will absolutely be in pain down your leg as those random muscles that don't ever get used are pushed to the limit but after a while you will be able to tackle anything and never want to go back.

Here's the way I looked at it. Everyone does think they look silly on, but I also thought trekking poles looked dumb and served no purpose when I first started hiking and now I can't go a day without them and couldn't care less what someone's opinion on them is.

So good luck but I'd be glad to see more VFF users out there

slbirdnerd
10-24-2013, 08:07
Try to work with what you've got. (I can't imagine hiking in those 5-toed shoes.) Your shoes/boots should be a half size bigger than you wear and laced properly for what you're doing: http://sectionhiker.com/hiking-boot-lacing-techniques/.

RCBear
10-24-2013, 08:53
I did the tough mudder in them and they were perfect for 12 miles of mud and slosh. Kept my feet from turning into bricks. I dont care for them for hiking though. Especially with a pack on.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Shutterbug
10-24-2013, 12:07
Are y'all familiar with these? My daughter-in-law informed me of them today. Below is a link to these shoes on amazon.

I did a hike yesterday, steep climb, I'd say about 2400 feet, and my toes were really jamming and I was in major pain. My big toenail is blue, and I will surely lose it...just a matter of time.
So these shoes look like they might eliminate that problem, and I was just wondering if y'all know anything about them.
Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dshoes&field-keywords=vibram+five+finger+hiking+shoes&rh=n%3A672123011%2Ck%3Avibram+five+finger+hiking+s hoes I just completed a rim to rim to rim hike of the Grand Canyon in my Vibram FiveFinger Shoes. I wouldn't wear anything else. Just be sure to get the ones with the "Trek" soles. Now they are called "TrekSports." Some versions of the FiveFinger Shoes have a softer sole.

Shutterbug
10-24-2013, 12:09
One more comment -- wear socks. When I started wearing VFFs, I didn't wear socks. Without socks, they tend to get grit inside. Socks solve that problem.

jefals
10-24-2013, 12:23
thanks guys. Looks like mixed reviews on the VFFs. I see the company makes this same design, but different models for different activities, but I'll assume that everyone was referring to the model specifically made for hiking.

Meanwhile, I'm taking my "traditional" hiking shoes back to REI in the next day or two. I thought the clerk that sold them to me was pretty good; he had me try on several different kinds, and I thought these were the best. (If they were, I'm gonna have to find plan B )-- maybe see if I can get some custom made or something.

SCRUB HIKER
10-24-2013, 12:27
I saw it done on the PCT once this year, but only once, by a thru-hiker. I don't know what type of FiveFingers he was wearing specifically, but he didn't wear socks. He told me his feet were tough enough already from playing years of high-level beach volleyball.

I also had a good friend on the AT who wore them as camp shoes. Most people say they wouldn't like FiveFingers as camp shoes because they want their feet to get air, but he loved them because they forced his toes to spread out after a day of walking. I think there are possibilities for them ... I say give them a try, because your current system obviously needs some help.

jefals
10-24-2013, 12:29
I just completed a rim to rim to rim hike of the Grand Canyon in my Vibram FiveFinger Shoes. I wouldn't wear anything else. Just be sure to get the ones with the "Trek" soles. Now they are called "TrekSports." Some versions of the FiveFinger Shoes have a softer sole.
Thanks Shutterbug. If I get this type of shoe, I'll definitely get the kind made for hiking. As to your next comment -- yes, I'll also definitely wear socks!
Hope you had a great hike in the canyon -- I'm sure you did. I've been there several times, and it's one of my favorite places on earth!

ChinMusic
10-24-2013, 12:34
I saw a lot of these in GA and none in PA.

jefals
10-24-2013, 12:39
I saw it done on the PCT once this year, but only once, by a thru-hiker. I don't know what type of FiveFingers he was wearing specifically, but he didn't wear socks. He told me his feet were tough enough already from playing years of high-level beach volleyball.

I also had a good friend on the AT who wore them as camp shoes. Most people say they wouldn't like FiveFingers as camp shoes because they want their feet to get air, but he loved them because they forced his toes to spread out after a day of walking. I think there are possibilities for them ... I say give them a try, because your current system obviously needs some help.

that part about the "too tough for socks" made me smile...brought back memories, of when I was a kid at summer camp, and I'd see other kids walking barefoot on rocks while thinking about lunch, swimming, or the little-girl camper in "bunk 3"...totally oblivous to any sensation that might be coming from their feet.. I'd try it, and I'd be goin, "OUCH!, OH! UUCH!" -- I always admired those kids, and wished I could be one of them...! :)

Thanks for the info. These type of shoes -- I don't know how long they've been around, but thinking they might be fairly new, and so with a lot of things "radical" will take some time to break into mainstream. If that's the case, we might start seeing more and more of them.
I think I might just like a good pair o sandals, maybe, for camp shoes. These 5 fingers look kinda expensive for camp shoes.

jefals
10-24-2013, 12:40
well, that tells ya somethin!

Sailing_Faith
10-24-2013, 12:54
I love mine, but have only done day hikes with them so far. I do like the feel of them, but agree with others who suggest that you wear them around a bit before you go out hiking with them on. They take some getting used to.

jefals
10-24-2013, 13:06
Try to work with what you've got. (I can't imagine hiking in those 5-toed shoes.) Your shoes/boots should be a half size bigger than you wear and laced properly for what you're doing: http://sectionhiker.com/hiking-boot-lacing-techniques/.
slbird, I just pulled up that youtube you sent. I haven't looked at it yet, but it looks like it's going to be GREAT info! I've bookmarked it. I think, when my toe heals, I'll check out this video, and go back to my mountain ( I call it "Torture Mountain"!), and try out whatever I learn from the video. Thanks much!

RCBear
10-24-2013, 13:34
I found getting all my toes into the right slots took some getting used to.

....but I'm all tumbs any way :-)

Sailing_Faith
10-24-2013, 15:06
I found getting all my toes into the right slots took some getting used to.

....but I'm all tumbs any way :-)

yes, I had that trouble too. The socks make it easier though.

Shutterbug
10-24-2013, 15:21
These type of shoes -- I don't know how long they've been around, but thinking they might be fairly new, and so with a lot of things "radical" will take some time to break into mainstream. If that's the case, we might start seeing more and more of them.
The VFFs have been around for several years. When they first came out, a lot of people tried them. A few, like me, adopted them as their full time shoes. More people found they didn't like them. The popularity seems to have peaked. REI used to have 8 to 10 different styles of VFFs on display. When I was in REI a few days ago, they only had three styles of VFFs on display. Vibram has reacted to the decreased demand by reducing the number of styles available. They discontinued my favorite style -- KSO Trek. Bottom line -- many people have tried VFFs. Most who try them continue to wear "normal" boots and shoes. Only a few, like me, have really adopted them. My story is one of chronic foot pain. I was diagnoses with "bone spurs" and had constant foot pain. When I tried the VFFs, I discovered that the foot pain disappeared. Most people focus on the toes as the primary difference, but for me the big difference is the fact that VFFs don't have a built up heel. They change how my foot hits the ground. I wear them everywhere I go, even to church on Sunday. Besides solving the foot pain issue, I get to meet a lot of interesting people. They are a great conversation starter.

jefals
10-24-2013, 16:16
The VFFs have been around for several years. When they first came out, a lot of people tried them. A few, like me, adopted them as their full time shoes. More people found they didn't like them. The popularity seems to have peaked. REI used to have 8 to 10 different styles of VFFs on display. When I was in REI a few days ago, they only had three styles of VFFs on display. Vibram has reacted to the decreased demand by reducing the number of styles available. They discontinued my favorite style -- KSO Trek. Bottom line -- many people have tried VFFs. Most who try them continue to wear "normal" boots and shoes. Only a few, like me, have really adopted them. My story is one of chronic foot pain. I was diagnoses with "bone spurs" and had constant foot pain. When I tried the VFFs, I discovered that the foot pain disappeared. Most people focus on the toes as the primary difference, but for me the big difference is the fact that VFFs don't have a built up heel. They change how my foot hits the ground. I wear them everywhere I go, even to church on Sunday. Besides solving the foot pain issue, I get to meet a lot of interesting people. They are a great conversation starter.

Thanks a lot, Shutterbug. This is really excellent info on this topic. I didn't think about the heel, and even tho my hiking experience is limited, I'm pretty sure you're right that that would be a major difference. And to me, at least thinking about it, it seems like it would be a negative rather than a positive. As you said most folks focus on the toes, that's of course what I was thinking of as well -- some way to avoid these smashed toes on the downhills.
Yeah, I can see how they would be a great conversation starter! :)

Theosus
10-24-2013, 18:38
I have a pair of fila's copy of these, called Skeletoes. I've worn them a few times around my neighborhood. Farthest I've walked with them is about a mile. I couldn't see myself hiking in them! They are too much trouble to put on and take off on the trail, and I get a lot of grit in them. A friend of mine swears by his, when he's not bare footing, he's in his leather look VFF's. My favorite hiking shoes are open on the sides, like sandals, but with a closed toe. I did 17 miles in them in a day, with thick socks to protect from blisters, and only had two rock issues.

Different Socks
10-24-2013, 19:10
One more comment -- wear socks. When I started wearing VFFs, I didn't wear socks. Without socks, they tend to get grit inside. Socks solve that problem.

How do you wear socks with them when all your toes are in one garment but have to be separated when you put on the VFF's?

alverhootzt
10-24-2013, 19:40
I bought the treks 2 years ago and wear them occasionally now for day hiking. I've found that I just get blisters in different places. Never tried socks. I like them otherwise - you get used to taking care to pick your feet up, etc. I'm not sure I'd wear them with a big pack on though. I agree with shutterbug, they're a good conversation starter. good luck

Shutterbug
10-24-2013, 21:13
How do you wear socks with them when all your toes are in one garment but have to be separated when you put on the VFF's? The socks have toes too. Toe socks are available on eBay for less than $2 a pair.

Shutterbug
10-24-2013, 21:19
I bought the treks 2 years ago and wear them occasionally now for day hiking. I've found that I just get blisters in different places. Never tried socks. I like them otherwise - you get used to taking care to pick your feet up, etc. I'm not sure I'd wear them with a big pack on though. I agree with shutterbug, they're a good conversation starter. good luck I donII
I don't understand the concern about wearing VFFs with a pack. I wore them last week with a 40 lb. pack. It didn't make a difference. I have never had a blister when wearing VFFs. I use heel crack lotion on my feet (available at Walmart) to keep them from drying out.

jefals
10-24-2013, 22:02
a lot of y'all have mentioned not wearing socks, or seeing hikers wearing these vffs wo socks.. I don't even wear house-shoes without socks, and wouldn't think of hiking without socks. Seems to me that would really add to the chafing and blistering -- can't see what possible benefit there is to not wearing socks...

Zipper
10-24-2013, 22:20
Before I started my hike, I heard about the Barefoot Sisters, though I hadn't yet read their books (didn't do that until I finished my hike, so I didn't know about all the trials and tribulations they went through doing it barefoot!) I was all enamored of the idea of hiking barefoot.

So I had this great idea that I would thru hike in Five Fingers. Next best thing! I trained in them, hiked 22 miles with a pack in them on the Black Creek Trail in Mississippi, hiked through Big Bend in them, and just wore them everywhere in the 8 months prior to my hike. I don't know if that contributed to my general foot health during my hike or not, but maybe! One theory about Five Fingers is that because your foot isn't encased in a shoe, your foot muscles have more opportunity to work, making the whole foot stronger and healthier.

A couple of weeks prior to my hike, I changed my mind and decided maybe I needed more of a sturdy shoe for the trail. So I ended up hiking in trail runners. But I used my Five Fingers for my camp shoes for 3/4 of the hike (switched to Crocs for the SOBO portion in the fall when it got cold) and I also hiked in them occasionally, like after a stream crossing, or across the Cumberland Valley in PA (18 miles of flat farmland.)

I love my Five Fingers and still wear them regularly. I wear them without socks. Some things to be aware of: they get wet quickly - in just 1/4 inch of water they will get wet because the water soaks in between the toes. They aren't warm, as others have said, so I think they would be tough in a NOBO spring start because it can be soooo cold! They get smelly easily. But you can throw them in the washing machine. And they are not comfortable on gravel or sharp rocks, in my opinion. It's doable, but it's not comfortable, When hiking in my Five Fingers, I have to go much more slowly and pay more close attention to where I place my feet, where as in trail runners I can be more speedy and less worried about hitting the sharp edge of a rock the wrong way.

I did meet people who hiked the whole thing in Five Fingers so it is possible!

And as others have pointed out, your toes shouldn't be hitting in your boots so another solution might be bigger shoes.

Good luck!

Zipper
VA-ME VA-GA 09

jefals
10-25-2013, 00:19
Before I started my hike, I heard about the Barefoot Sisters, though I hadn't yet read their books (didn't do that until I finished my hike, so I didn't know about all the trials and tribulations they went through doing it barefoot!) I was all enamored of the idea of hiking barefoot.

So I had this great idea that I would thru hike in Five Fingers. Next best thing! I trained in them, hiked 22 miles with a pack in them on the Black Creek Trail in Mississippi, hiked through Big Bend in them, and just wore them everywhere in the 8 months prior to my hike. I don't know if that contributed to my general foot health during my hike or not, but maybe! One theory about Five Fingers is that because your foot isn't encased in a shoe, your foot muscles have more opportunity to work, making the whole foot stronger and healthier.

A couple of weeks prior to my hike, I changed my mind and decided maybe I needed more of a sturdy shoe for the trail. So I ended up hiking in trail runners. But I used my Five Fingers for my camp shoes for 3/4 of the hike (switched to Crocs for the SOBO portion in the fall when it got cold) and I also hiked in them occasionally, like after a stream crossing, or across the Cumberland Valley in PA (18 miles of flat farmland.)

I love my Five Fingers and still wear them regularly. I wear them without socks. Some things to be aware of: they get wet quickly - in just 1/4 inch of water they will get wet because the water soaks in between the toes. They aren't warm, as others have said, so I think they would be tough in a NOBO spring start because it can be soooo cold! They get smelly easily. But you can throw them in the washing machine. And they are not comfortable on gravel or sharp rocks, in my opinion. It's doable, but it's not comfortable, When hiking in my Five Fingers, I have to go much more slowly and pay more close attention to where I place my feet, where as in trail runners I can be more speedy and less worried about hitting the sharp edge of a rock the wrong way.

I did meet people who hiked the whole thing in Five Fingers so it is possible!

And as others have pointed out, your toes shouldn't be hitting in your boots so another solution might be bigger shoes.

Good luck!

Zipper
VA-ME VA-GA 09

Thanks Zipper. I didn't know about the wet factor, and if others have mentioned that they weren't warm, I didn't catch that either. After all this, I think I'm going to try and stay with traditional hiking shoes now, even tho I think I tried all the possibilities at my REI and these that I wound up doing all this damage to my toe in, seemed at the time to be the best fit.
Thanks again, and congrats on that '09 hike!

Shutterbug
10-25-2013, 12:10
Thanks Zipper. I didn't know about the wet factor, and if others have mentioned that they weren't warm, I didn't catch that either. After all this, I think I'm going to try and stay with traditional hiking shoes now, even tho I think I tried all the possibilities at my REI and these that I wound up doing all this damage to my toe in, seemed at the time to be the best fit.
Thanks again, and congrats on that '09 hike!If you are concerned about the cold factor, Vibram makes an insulated version of the Vffs. They are waterproof and have a layer of insulation. I have a pair, but don't have much need for them because I go to Arizona during the winter.

ted_4
10-25-2013, 19:50
If the VFFs sound too intimidating, Merrel makes a similar product, I think they are called Trail Gloves. They are a bit of a compromise between hiking shoes and barefoot shoes because they have the thin sole of VFFs but lack the individual toes. Might help the transition if you are considering switching

annamagpie
10-26-2013, 08:17
I would suggest trying these instead! A true barefoot feel--if that is what you are going for--in my opinion. I tried the vibrams but returned them--my toes were too long and I didn't like how my foot felt caged inside. Tighter than a sneaker. Now I am talking about running trails, not backpacking. I haven't tried my Xers's backpacking yet, but intend to. Whatever you try--just remember there is a learning curve. Go slowly and short distances at first. Let your feet get used to them. and your calves, and your ankles!http://xeroshoes.com/shop/feeltrue-products/sensori-venture-mens-barefoot-sandals/

jefals
10-26-2013, 21:21
If the VFFs sound too intimidating, Merrel makes a similar product, I think they are called Trail Gloves. They are a bit of a compromise between hiking shoes and barefoot shoes because they have the thin sole of VFFs but lack the individual toes. Might help the transition if you are considering switching

Thin soles? Hadn't heard about that either. I'm definitely not inquiring about these because I wanted a barefoot sensation, or anything like that. Just thinking that this design would keep my toes from jamming into the end of the shoe. ( Yesterday, btw, the doc burned a hole in my toenail so he could press down and drain the blood out! -- I DON'T WANT THIS AGAIN!!!).

I've, since my last post, spoken with a sales person at Vibran, who advises me to stick with traditional shoes for serious hiking. And if the soles are thin, I don't think I want that over any serious rocks. So, think I'll stick with traditional shoes, but I have to find a good place to try them out before a serious hike.

Wise Old Owl
10-26-2013, 22:18
Yea - always fun for that bare foot feel when a toe nail falls out...

None yet
10-27-2013, 12:04
I first wore Vibrams in a half marathon followed by two marathons and several hundred miles of hiking, including steep climbs. I have five pair (two different models) and wear them for everything from walking the beach, sailing, kayaking etc. and have never had blisters, hot spots and no swollen toes. I wear them with and without socks.

I plan on wearing them for most of the AT and switching them out with a trail shoe if needed (they aren't waterproof or warm).

Try different models and sizes Vibrams. A friend broke them in by wearing them only a couple miles a day. I wore them for the half the day I bought them.

Good luck - I think your footwear will be the most important piece of equipment.

Hot Flash
10-28-2013, 10:07
VFF are the ugliest, most ridiculous footwear ever, and that's including Crocs. Not only that, but they're annoying as hell, with that constant, nagging, something-is-between-the-toes feeling. Also, people who wear them won't shut up about them. Yeah, we know you are wearing VFF. Good for you, we don't care, and no we don't want to be regaled with constant praises of how much you like your buttugly shoes.

Theosus
10-30-2013, 07:09
VFF are the ugliest, most ridiculous footwear ever, and that's including Crocs. Not only that, but they're annoying as hell, with that constant, nagging, something-is-between-the-toes feeling. Also, people who wear them won't shut up about them. Yeah, we know you are wearing VFF. Good for you, we don't care, and no we don't want to be regaled with constant praises of how much you like your buttugly shoes.

If a person is a vegetarian, owns a dog, and wears VFFs, how does he decide which to interject into a conversation first?

But seriously... I have seen a few VFF hikers, but the shoes ARE pretty butt ugly. I find them to be Okay - just a pain to deal with. crossing a creek takes forever if you take those off and then have to put the toes socks on and get them turned out right, and get every toe in the right place, then get the shoe on and toes situated. I have been wearing a sort of sandal thing with a closed toe, usually with socks but not always. I can walk up to a creek, slip them off, throw them to the other side of the creek, walk across, and slip my shoes back on.

nickgann
10-30-2013, 10:07
I have done some 4-5 day hikes with them, and do like them for many reasons(which are very relative). What I will mainly say is that on longer expeditions you can expect sticks/thorns/etc to stick in them and cut you and possibly the shoe... and depending on your physical stature and how well your feet handle stress it may not be the most effective way to travel.

jefals
10-30-2013, 12:35
I have done some 4-5 day hikes with them, and do like them for many reasons(which are very relative). What I will mainly say is that on longer expeditions you can expect sticks/thorns/etc to stick in them and cut you and possibly the shoe... and depending on your physical stature and how well your feet handle stress it may not be the most effective way to travel.

Ouch! Good to know. I mentioned in an earlier post, I spoke with the folks at the company (Vibram) and they even said, for serious hiking, I should stick with traditional shoes.

annamagpie
10-30-2013, 16:05
wicked good sale on fivefingers: http://gearup.active.com/Event.aspx?l=00010702142900000000&a=103013_Vibrum-Jasmine7-Waves&jb=n&cid=LLS2527&uid=710448

Shutterbug
10-30-2013, 16:35
Ouch! Good to know. I mentioned in an earlier post, I spoke with the folks at the company (Vibram) and they even said, for serious hiking, I should stick with traditional shoes.

My guess is that there was more to the conversation than your summary and that their advice to you was based on your concerns. Vibram wouldn't say "... stick with traditional shoes.." as a blanket statement.

It has been my observation that Vibram FiveFinger Shoes are appropriate for a minority of hikers. For those, like me, that have feet that match the VFF mold, the VFFs are a great choice for "serious hiking."

My advice -- buy a pair of VFFs from REI. Wear them a while to see if you like them. If you do, keep them. If you don't take the back. You won't know if they will work for you until you try them.

Elder
10-30-2013, 16:43
[QUOTE=Theosus;1811789]If a person is a vegetarian, owns a dog, and wears VFFs, how does he decide which to interject into a conversation first?
What caliber of gun to carry?

jefals
10-30-2013, 18:54
My guess is that there was more to the conversation than your summary and that their advice to you was based on your concerns. Vibram wouldn't say "... stick with traditional shoes.." as a blanket statement.

It has been my observation that Vibram FiveFinger Shoes are appropriate for a minority of hikers. For those, like me, that have feet that match the VFF mold, the VFFs are a great choice for "serious hiking."

My advice -- buy a pair of VFFs from REI. Wear them a while to see if you like them. If you do, keep them. If you don't take the back. You won't know if they will work for you until you try them.

That's correct Shutterbug. It was what the rep told me after some back and forth about my particular experience and concerns. But after listening to everbody on here, I think I'm sticking with traditional shoes for the time being. I'm sure my experience with the reg. hiking shoes was because of my own hiking inexperience -- or just plain stupidity -- in not following the REI rep's advice to try them out before taking them out to the trail. I rationalized, "Listen, it's not really going to test these shoes, just wearing them a few times to the store or something -- the only way to really tell is to actually wear them out on the trail". BIG MISTAKE. I didn't even consider the trails close to my house! Even tho they're asphalt, they do have some gentle hills, and they are not so far away, that I'll have to wear bad shoes long enough to hurt.

redseal
11-01-2013, 08:44
I actually just started using them from everyday use and trail running. So far I love them. I have not tried them with a backpack yet though. Someday I will give it a go though.

michaelosborne
11-13-2013, 23:05
I have the VFF KSO Trekkers and use those as my everyday shoes if I'm going somewhere that requires me to wear footwear or else I prefer being barefoot. I've only done day hikes in them but I imagine with a long distance hike they'd start irritating my feet after a few days.

Sasquatch!
01-22-2014, 00:56
I hiked about 1000 miles in VFF KSO's last year. 800ish on the PCT, and 200ish on the NCT.

I wear a thin injinji liner. Helps keep my feet clean, from getting sweaty, and keeps the VFF's from getting funky as quickly. Changing socks was an every 5-10 mile affair, especially in SoCal.

Wet wasnt a problem. As long as its not very cold, and I keep moving, wet is fine. I can walk the VFFs dry. I still have to take breaks and let my feet dry completly though. Same thing with shoes.

After about twenty miles from Mexico I had horrible blisters. They finally callused up around Big Bear, and I havent had blister issues since. But man, that first round was rough.

The main disadvantages of hiking in VFF's are they totally suck in snow, ice, or slippery mud. Also, kicking rocks, or roots, presents a very real fracture risk. Ive had a few instances where I thought I broke toes kicking something. But, I didnt.

I'm gonna maybe do the whole PCT this year. In Vibram kso's, of course.

snail2010
01-22-2014, 11:22
Merrill makes a shoe with a sole like the five finger but without the toe separation. Been doing some hiking in the high dessert (lots of rocks and spiny plants) and they've been great! The plantar pain I was feeling in trail runners is gone!

RockDoc
01-22-2014, 15:54
I tried them like 5 years ago but didn't like them. Carried them on the AT as camp shoes but found them to slip on mud too badly. Returned them to REI for refund. They really never fit my feet.

Toon
01-22-2014, 20:30

Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dshoes&field-keywords=vibram+five+finger+hiking+shoes&rh=n%3A672123011%2Ck%3Avibram+five+finger+hiking+s hoes

You should read born to run. It talks about how all these new hi-tech running shoes are causing injurys. Mans foot was designed to run without shoes. Man evolved to run and track animals by wearing them out. (If you believe in evolution) its called persistents hunting and there are still tribes in central Africa doing this today. I'm not saying go hiking with no shoes. But if you just strengthen your feet a minimal shoe like the five finger is the best for preventing injury. Arch support is really bad for hour feet. Think about a Roman arch would you put a pole under the arch pushing up to strengthen it. No that would destroy it. Its the same concept with a foot arch. Modern shoes are destroying our feet. You should never land on your heel while walking. Shoes enable you to do that.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

DaFireMedic
02-23-2014, 20:07
I had knee surgery 4 months ago and started hiking again about a month ago. I decided to try the Vibram FiveFingers on the suggestion of a friend who said that they have helped his knees. I am up to 10 mile hikes now with a 10 pound pack in the Vibrams and can't recommend them enough. I started slow like the "experts" say to, just one mile to start with and slowly adding distance each week. My feet were a little sore after the first few hikes as my feet got used to using all the little muscles that had been wrapped up in shoes all my life, but no soreness since. But most important to me, I’ve had no knee soreness at all. I used to have knee soreness toward the end of every hike and every sustained downhill section caused problems for me in recent years. I feel none of the impact through my knees when wearing the VFF’s.

I just ordered my second pair and plan to hike the John Muir Trail in them (I did the JMT in 2012) if I can make it back up there this year, and if I feel I am ready by then.

Positives (so far):

No knee soreness!!! This one alone is enough to overcome all the negatives for me. I feel like I have a new lease on life with regards to hiking.

Very comfortable with good traction (with the Treksports)

Light weight. These are by far the lightest shoes I’ve ever owned.

Negatives (so far):

You must start with short hikes. They take some getting used to as you start using muscles that you rarely used before.

Little or no insulation. These are fine as long as you are hiking, but I can tell that the feet will likely get cold if walking on snow or in extremely cold weather. The toe socks help, but I wouldn’t use the VFF’s in snow.

Your feet get wet easily when walking on wet ground or muddy ground. On the other hand, they dry very quickly.

Like I said, if you decide to try them, do so slowly and let your feet, ankles, and legs get used to them. They may feel great and tempt you to overdo it. Don’t, or you may end up unable to hike for weeks. Start short, like a mile or so around your neighborhood, then add to it each week. Also, watch YouTube videos on barefoot running to learn the forefoot strike, as this is the proper way to use them. If you try to walk like you do in traditional running shoes, you will have problems.

redzombie
06-07-2014, 22:51
I just finished the River to river trail with my VFF. They suck in mud but are great in stream crossing. One thing I did like is they are easy to clean, and rocks don't get in the shoe very easily. I did start to get a blister on the ball of my foot, but it was tolerable. Now I have been wearing VFF now for about four years so my feet were a bit tough. I love em especially with socks. They dry super quick, and when wearing VFF's you learn to look where you walk. Not many people understand the importance of looking where you put your feet.

Old_Man
06-10-2014, 13:31
I bought a pair of Merrell Trail Gloves which are similar to VFF but they don't have the infamous toe design. I suffered from knee problems due to years of bad posture, running injuries, and general slovenliness. After I switched to the Merrell, the knee pain was gone. I did a couple of distance hikes carrying weight because I was curious how they would work. At first there was some soreness in the foot but the muscles felt incredibly strong in my feet and there was surprisingly very little pain at the end of the day (carrying approx. 25-30 lbs about 8-10 miles/day). </br> However, I live in Florida where the ground is sandy, not rocky. These shoes are great for that environment. When walking on asphalt/concrete/gravel, I have to go slower and step lighter because there isn't a lot of padding on the sole.

RockDoc
06-10-2014, 15:08
There's no way that I would ever recommend that product.
Vibram is being leveled with a class action suit for making false claims about these shoes...
http://www.runnersworld.com/running-shoes/settlement-site-for-vibram-class-action-suit-opens

I bought them but they did not fit my feet (toe holes were in the wrong place), so I returned them. We called them "glorified socks" at the time, that's about all they are... They are really dangerous if you hit any mud because there's so little tread.

CalebJ
06-10-2014, 16:29
I bought a pair of Merrell Trail Gloves which are similar to VFF but they don't have the infamous toe design. I suffered from knee problems due to years of bad posture, running injuries, and general slovenliness. After I switched to the Merrell, the knee pain was gone. I did a couple of distance hikes carrying weight because I was curious how they would work. At first there was some soreness in the foot but the muscles felt incredibly strong in my feet and there was surprisingly very little pain at the end of the day (carrying approx. 25-30 lbs about 8-10 miles/day). However, I live in Florida where the ground is sandy, not rocky. These shoes are great for that environment. When walking on asphalt/concrete/gravel, I have to go slower and step lighter because there isn't a lot of padding on the sole.
I used Trail Gloves on my BMT section a month or so ago and loved them. They were very comfortable and dried quickly. After a total of 300 or so miles, the mesh is starting to wear through on the sides of the shoes. Not sure what to make of that. I'm definitely going to keep a close eye on the second pair to see if they fail similarly. For anyone considering the Trail Gloves (or similar minimal sole design), spend some time letting your feet get used to the direct contact with the ground. If you're doing bigger miles, your feet will probably experience some tenderness at first. It's worth the adjustment though.

Old_Man
06-10-2014, 16:31
I don't think they're good for all terrains. But the strange thing that I've noticed about minimalist shoes is that they make you more conscious of things like gait, posture, speed, etc. Things you don't necessarily notice when wearing a shoe designed to absorb everything. As a result of this heightened mental presence, you stand up straighter and step lighter. I will admit that there probably isn't a lot of benefit to actually wearing minimalist as opposed to normal shoes. But the strength training that you have to go through to actually use the shoes is likely what makes people claim that minimalist foot wear makes them better runners, hikers, etc. It's really all about improving form and efficiency.

bamboo bob
06-10-2014, 18:51
I can't help thinking of them as a fad. Hard to imagine them replacing trail runners. But if they work for you ignore everyone else.