PDA

View Full Version : Platypus 2.0L gravity filter vs. Sawyer 3-1 inline

AAhiker
10-24-2013, 09:09
Getting ready to get a new filter because, quite frankly, pumping gets old. I generally use Platypus "bottles" and the Platypus hydration tube so I like the company and product but I am torn as to which one of these two products would work best. the Sawyer has better micron filtration but the platypus has the added carbon. Has anyone used either of these? My other concern is I often find that the water sources are rather meager. Would a pump be a better idea simply because I can get water from smaller/shallower water sources? Oh also I give my dog water via my hydration hose, anyone know if the Sawyer will provide enough flow?

HooKooDooKu
10-24-2013, 10:46
First of all, even if you purchase a Sawyer, you can still add a Pladypus carbon element as well. However, I've wondered if you couldn't just get some fish-tank carbon and put it inside a MSR silt-stopper pre-filter to get the same effect.

I've always used the Sweetwater pump and recently purchased the Sawyer Mini to try. The flow of even the Mini seems adequate, at least starting from the clean filter.

I tried the mini this past weekend with conditions of low water (i.e. slow flows across the ground will none coming out of pipes). Not having a pump for that situation makes it more tricky. The typical solution I've seen so far is to scoop a bowl depresion in the ground for the water to fill, the use a cup or cooking pot to scoop the water up with to put in a 'dirty' water bag. I tried laying my dirty water bag on the ground and letting the flow try to fill it up, but I got lots of leaf litter, dirt, and even small rocks in the bag. I'm using the MSR Silt-Stopper as a prefilter to the Sawyer, so at least all that junk wasn't getting in the filter to be back flushed... but if you are likely to encounter that type of situation and you're not going to use a pre-filter, you might want to think about bringing along the back-flush syring (which is actually bigger than the Mini itself).

chall
10-24-2013, 12:24
I have the Gravityworks bottle kit (http://www.rei.com/product/849793/) and I love it. So convenient, filters water quickly, and isn't too heavy (9.5oz). It works perfectly with any Platypus product. If you mostly solo hike, some say it would be a little overkill, but the great thing about this is that you can leave your 2L bag of dirty water hanging up and in a tree and filter it as needed. I drink a lot of water when I make camp for the night, so it works for me. The dirty bag has the giant zippered opening so it makes it easier to fill up at a water source that isn't a flowing stream.

Bucho
10-24-2013, 17:24
Out of those, get the Sawyer 3-1. It's not even a question, the platypus kit is stupid heavy and expensive. Hiking on your own inline is the way to go and if you decide that you'd rather use a gravity filter it's not hard to build a better kit with the sawyer than you can buy from platypus.

P.S. You can just buy the platypus carbon accessory and add it to a sawyer system.

P.P.S. Most people hike the A.T. without a pump filter so it's entirely doable, but it's not the worst idea to bring something to scoop with.

Ercoupe
10-25-2013, 06:46
I use the Sawyer with adapter to connect to the Platypus drinking tube. Gravity feed works good for me, carabiner on bottom of bag hooked to my hiking pole strap. Slight squeeze to get air out. None moving shallow water sources can be a difficulty, but with a cup doable. Looking for that good prefilter method, to extend filter life.