PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice from "grown-ups." How on earth do I quit my job?

_ciel
10-24-2013, 11:25
Hi all, I am in a bit of a pickle and need some advice.

I am a federal government employee and I have been here for a little over 2 years when I started out as an intern. The work that I do is not realated to my degree, and I never planned on staying long term. Admid the budget debacle, we've been on a hiring freeze since before I was hired on, and I just feel a little guilty about quitting when I know that I cannot be replaced. I haven't told any of my coworkers about my plans to attempt a thru-hike because I haven't figured out how to break the news to my boss that I will be leaving in February.

I've thought of perhaps asking for a leave of absence for a couple of months, just in case something happens and I have to get off of the trail. Regardless, I am planning on attending graduate school beginning in August/September, and I just don't know how to approach the subject, especially when I'm being handed more responsibilities everyday.

Does anyone have advice on how they approached their boss about their thru-hike? This is my first "big girl" job and I don't want to ruin the relationships I have built here....

OCDave
10-24-2013, 11:34
No one can fault you for leaving your job to attend Grad school. Takinging a bit of time off to enjoy life a bit before continuing your academic life is reasonable. You run little risk of ruining this relationship if you are completely honest rather, this will likely keep the door open if your long term goals change.

Good Luck

Feral Bill
10-24-2013, 11:40
I'm not sure this is the place to look for grown-up advice, but here goes. You do not owe it to any employer to stay forever. Employers (including government agencies) lay people off when business dictates all the time. You should give as much notice as is possible, with an honest explanation if you wish. If you can get a leave of absence, so much the better.

QHShowoman
10-24-2013, 11:43
Hiring freeze or not, everyone can be replaced if need be.

Be sure to give your employer 2-4 weeks notice (so give notice in early January, at the very latest) and while you don't owe them an explanation, you can simply say that you want to take time off to travel before starting grad school in the fall. No employer expects someone right out of college to stay in the same job for more than 2 years, anyway.

I would discourage you from taking the leave of absence route because you don't want to delay training someone else to take over your responsibilities with the expectation that you're going to return, when you probably won't. Doing so will leave a far worse impression than it would if you just quit outright.

atmilkman
10-24-2013, 11:55
Did you sign an "agreement/acknowledgement" that stated you can be let go at any time without notice or reason?

Coffee
10-24-2013, 12:11
Only a rare employer would provide an employee with several months of notice prior to layoffs and I'd argue that a non management employee is going above and beyond the call of duty if providing say a month notice. Very few managers expect an entry level person to stay forever and understand that when people go back to school. No explanation is owed regarding leaving a few months prior to grad school unless you feel like volunteering information. I wouldn't provide more than a month of notice because there is always a risk that you could be let go on the spot.

Looking back, there were many missed opportunities for vacation and travel that I chose to forgo due to a perceived duty as an employee. However such attitudes are rarely reciprocated. I recommend being professional and courteous but never sacrificing personal goals out of an exaggerated sense of duty.

Ktaadn
10-24-2013, 12:16
Hiring freeze or not, everyone can be replaced if need be.

Be sure to give your employer 2-4 weeks notice (so give notice in early January, at the very latest) and while you don't owe them an explanation, you can simply say that you want to take time off to travel before starting grad school in the fall. No employer expects someone right out of college to stay in the same job for more than 2 years, anyway.

I would discourage you from taking the leave of absence route because you don't want to delay training someone else to take over your responsibilities with the expectation that you're going to return, when you probably won't. Doing so will leave a far worse impression than it would if you just quit outright.

I think this is all great advice.

They key is to be honest and proffesional. Remeber, bosses are people too. They understand that you have to do what is best for you. They would not hesitate to do what is best for them either. Don't lie to anyone and don't burn any bridges and your career will be fine. I have changed jobs within my company a couple of times and I have twice been rehired by an old boss. If you have proven your value, they will happily welcome you back.

ChuckT
10-24-2013, 12:21
Hi all, I am in a bit of a pickle and need some advice.

Does anyone have advice on how they approached their boss about their thru-hike? This is my first "big girl" job and I don't want to ruin the relationships I have built here....

I am not a rolling stone, far from it, 47 years in the same job. I mention this because I think it was less than ideal. The 3, 4, maybe 5 year span in one place is enough.

How to seperate yourself from your position? (Sidebar: This is not easy too do.) Set aside who you are, who and what your family situation is, and who or what your immedite boss is. When you are ready, and remember you don't have to give more than a 2 - 3 week notice, go talk to the boss as one indivigual to another. Don't let any hierarchy creep in. Just say that you are moving on. You don't even have to say why. To be polite you can expand a bit by saying that you feel you are not being challanged enough in your present position and that a change of enviornment will be of benefit to you personally.

Telling the boss that you are off to hike the AT may not be what you want to do - what if your plans fall through? Even if the boss has already heard of your plans I think you'd be better served by portraying your plans as a career affirming move not as moving away from something. Above all you want to be seen as making an adult decision. (And you can barf afterward).

Cvt

coach lou
10-24-2013, 12:26
Slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan...............................:)

peakbagger
10-24-2013, 12:36
No matter what preparation you do in advance, an AT thru hike is at best a 1 in 10 shot (okay for some who want to quibble a 1.5 in 10 shot). So what will you do for the four months if you are one of the 9 out of 10 who for one reason or another leave the trail? It definitely not a good option to ask for your job back. In theory with an outdoor background you can pick up seasonal work. If you feel grad school is something you want to do to find a more rewarding career rather than a way of "escaping" one you don't want to do the rest of your life than you have your answer. With regards to leaving any job, never burn any bridges and try to spend a bit of time after you have informed the boss with you coworkers but keeping it positive, they still have to work there so be careful not to reinforce the bad things about why you are leaving, keep it positive about what you will be doing. Even though the temptation is to give constructive feedback in an exit interview, I wouldn't as its generally ignored as biased by the fact that you are leaving.

bigcranky
10-24-2013, 12:55
I'd want to have the grad school thing nailed down before starting a thru. That means being accepted and confirming that with any required deposit. You'll also want to make sure the grad program has good contact info for you on your hike, in case they need to get in touch (for example, to offer you an assistantship.) Then you can hike with a clear head and a clear schedule.

As for quitting the job, it's hard to do, especially since it sounds like you enjoy your job and the people you work with. But once the grad school thing is nailed down, it'll be relatively easy to give 4 weeks notice with the simple explanation of "travel before grad school." Really, not a big deal and hardly something that will harm your long term prospects even with the same employer.

Good luck.

Hill Ape
10-24-2013, 13:30
this happened to me last year, i posed it as a hypothetical, stressed IF i was going to leave... turned out we have a policy, and if i waited until my 10 yr seniority date, i would be eligible. as the conversation progressed, i got more open with my manager. i have always found that honesty really is the best policy. so now, i have a tentative 2015 thru in the planning stages, with right of return to an equivalent position waiting when i get back.

i am replaceable, but i'm good at what i do in a field where experience matters, and have a decent relationship with the company.

all that said, i am 38 yrs old, and have postponed a thru hike pretty much every year since i graduated high school, then served in the USAR, then went to college, then had kids, etc etc etc etc ad nauseum... i am tired of postponing

YMMV good luck

yaduck9
10-24-2013, 13:46
The hiring freeze, you mentioned, is not your responsibility, it is not your responsibility, it is not your responsibility, keep repeating.........

It is the responsibility of management to hire enough employees to handle the workload.

I would think that 4 weeks notice would be more than adequate notice. Workplace gossip can make life difficult, so I would share zero information on your hiking plans. No one can fault you for going back to school.

When you turn your notice in, I would present a typed letter to your manager stating that your leaving to go back to school. Verbalize, in person, keep it brief and to the point; leaving to go to graduate school, spending brief amount of time with family, i value the time i have spent here.

Exit interviews; there is no upside to an exit interview, for you, or anyone else.

Rasty
10-24-2013, 13:54
The hiring freeze, you mentioned, is not your responsibility, it is not your responsibility, it is not your responsibility, keep repeating.........

It is the responsibility of management to hire enough employees to handle the workload.

I would think that 4 weeks notice would be more than adequate notice. Workplace gossip can make life difficult, so I would share zero information on your hiking plans. No one can fault you for going back to school.

When you turn your notice in, I would present a typed letter to your manager stating that your leaving to go back to school. Verbalize, in person, keep it brief and to the point; leaving to go to graduate school, spending brief amount of time with family, i value the time i have spent here.

Exit interviews; there is no upside to an exit interview, for you, or anyone else.

+1 excellent advise

Bronk
10-24-2013, 13:55
Would your employer feel bad about it if they decided to fire you, furlough you or lay you off? Would it matter to you if they felt bad about it? Would it change anything? Would they give you months of notice if they decided to get rid of you? The most notice I'd give is two weeks. And you are under no obligation to explain yourself or what you're doing...they probably wouldn't get it anyway...just tell them you've decided to take some time off to pursue other things and you're really glad for the opportunities you've had there and hope you can use them as a reference in the future. No need to be a jerk about it but you sure as hell shouldn't feel guilty about doing what you want to do. You say they are giving you new responsibilities all the time, right? Surely there are others in the organization they can give your stuff to when you're gone. They'll shuffle things around and before they know it they will forget you ever worked there.

_ciel
10-24-2013, 14:12
Thanks guys for all the feedback!

I think I will give about a months notice and have my plans more firmly in place before letting anyone know. I probably will tell them about my hike, just because I believe my coworkers and my boss to be the type of people to offer great support. I'm the youngest in my office and a lot the people I work with have kids my age, so I feel like they would understand.

I hope there is cake on my last day. :)

bfayer
10-24-2013, 14:49
My question is how do you plan to pay for your hike and how will you support yourself during grad school?

If the answer is you have enough money set aside to cover the hike and support yourself while attending school, then the answer is give them fair notice and go hike.

On the other hand if the answer involves Mom, Dad or moving back into your old room after the hike, then you need to stay with the job until you start school.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

QHShowoman
10-24-2013, 15:00
On the other hand if the answer involves Mom, Dad or moving back into your old room after the hike, then you need to stay with the job until you start school.

Really, that's none of anyone's business except for the OP.

Sailing_Faith
10-24-2013, 15:04

I think I will give about a months notice and have my plans more firmly in place before letting anyone know. I probably will tell them about my hike, just because I believe my coworkers and my boss to be the type of people to offer great support. I'm the youngest in my office and a lot the people I work with have kids my age, so I feel like they would understand.

I suspect there will be cake. :)

The truth is that this life is short. Normally it does not matter that it is short when you are in your twenties, since there (seems to be) so much time ahead of you.

Read though some threads here. Folks who want to hike, but feel guilty for leaving.... Family, spouse, young children, jobs that they can not get back.... Folks who wanted to hike but had to give it up for injury or illness.

After grad school the pressure to establish yourself professionally will only be stronger... Especially if you meet someone and are making decisions as part of a couple... Then add children in (as many do) the difficulty becomes exponentially more profound.

I suspect there will be cake, and more then that great admiration to see someone "going for it". Enjoy your cake, may you have it... And eat it too!

keep us posted, good luck!

Autummyst
10-24-2013, 17:31

Hi ciel :) What does your contract require? Most workplaces require 2 weeks notice. I ask because I got screwed over when I tried to be nice by giving a previous employer of mine a months notice before I left to work in South Korea. It was a nonprofit and I thought that since they were people oriented and 'great' as employers they would want more notice and deserved it. I was TOTALLY wrong. Not to say that my experience will be everyone's, but I gave them a months notice and 2 weeks later they said they 'didn't need me anymore' as they were already hiring the next person. I had been relying on that last paycheck and now was cut short 2 weeks. I learned my lesson and like so many here, now would never give advance notice other than what's required not matter how nice or thoughtful I thought the company was.

Coffee
10-24-2013, 17:39
Hi ciel :) What does your contract require? Most workplaces require 2 weeks notice. I ask because I got screwed over when I tried to be nice by giving a previous employer of mine a months notice before I left to work in South Korea. It was a nonprofit and I thought that since they were people oriented and 'great' as employers they would want more notice and deserved it. I was TOTALLY wrong. Not to say that my experience will be everyone's, but I gave them a months notice and 2 weeks later they said they 'didn't need me anymore' as they were already hiring the next person. I had been relying on that last paycheck and now was cut short 2 weeks. I learned my lesson and like so many here, now would never give advance notice other than what's required not matter how nice or thoughtful I thought the company was.

This scenario is pretty common. Sometimes people even get walked out immediately, although that is more rare.

yaduck9
10-24-2013, 17:47
This scenario is pretty common. Sometimes people even get walked out immediately, although that is more rare.

It may be worth the time to "research" how former employees, in your position, were treated.

Tricky, because you will not want to foreshadow your departure.

Relax, be cool.

Keep your eye on the prize, everything else is just a distraction.

Good Luck!

QHShowoman
10-24-2013, 18:14
OP works for the government, people, they don't do anything swiftly. :)

TEXMAN
10-24-2013, 19:35
As a retired federal employee I would stress that you want to leave in good graces because your final paperwork will have you identified as re-hirable or not and that will follow you for any govt job. Secondly it was always my experience that the day after someone leaves they are pretty much forgotten.

robin31
10-24-2013, 21:16
I just resigned from a career that is rewarding and a job I love. It's all about prioritizing what's important in life. I've been dreaming about this since I was 14, so at the age of 40, I divorced, sold the house, quit my job and I'm going for it. Am I uncertain about my future? Yes. Will I know everything will be okay? yep.. Jobs come and go. People can be replaced. Just go for it! You'll regret it if you don't. Life is too damn short and your life (anyone's life for that matter) can change in the blink of an eye. You die once so start living everyday like it's your last. You got my support.

Odd Man Out
10-24-2013, 22:15
Another thing to think about is how this might affect your transition back into a career later. I've been on lots of search committees to fill open university faculty positions. I would say that our search committees can be turned off by a person who has a habit of moving from job to job. But as you have been in just one position for two years, that should not raise red flags. Also, if we see a person has left a good job for no apparent reason, we get suspicious. But (as already pointed out), leaving a position that doesn't match your training to go to grad school is a reasonable. It's better to be up front about it than say nothing and leave people guessing. Also, if there is a long blank spot on the CV, that can look odd. But a few months off to hike prior to grad schools shouldn't be a big deal. Not having a reference letter from a previous employer can also look bad, so leaving on good terms can help in the future. It would be worth talking about that with your boss.

atmilkman
10-24-2013, 22:18

I've known quite a few people that have used 2 weeks vacation for their notices to avoid cases such as these.

BobTheBuilder
10-24-2013, 22:48
My advice is similar to many others. I have had a lot of people work for me in the last 30 years, and have worked for several people. Some bosses with maturity issues will get mad at you when you give your notice, but that is their problem, not yours. Nobody I ever met stayed n the same job their whole life. Act like a professional, give your two weeks notice, don't sow discontent, and leave with nothing but good things to say about everybody. Don't fool yourself that you are irreplaceable - none of us are. If you get hit by a bus tomorrow, the world will go on. If you give two weeks notice, the world will go on.

Autummyst
10-25-2013, 00:29
I've known quite a few people that have used 2 weeks vacation for their notices to avoid cases such as these.

Smart! Luckily, I don't have to deal with it this time around...I'll have my job waiting for me when I get back. But boy, did I learn lesson when it happened many years ago :o

QHShowoman
10-25-2013, 05:36
Another thing to think about is how this might affect your transition back into a career later.

OP is going to grad school immediately after hiking, so this is a non-issue. Furthermore, no prospective employer will even bat an eye at a 6 month gap in the resume of a 22 year old. With 2 years of gov't work experience under his/her belt, the OP is already well ahead of the game.

And there's no shame in sayjng 'I took 6 months off to hike the AT.' I hear things like that from applicants all the time - took time off to travel abroad, do volunteer work, to 'find themselves,' etc.

Mags
10-25-2013, 08:29
At 22 yo, 6 mos off prior to grad school is not an issue. Almost expected.

Now if you are say almost 40 and decide to take 6 mos off, that's another story. :)

I noticed when I turned 35 that the gap in my resumes were more problematic vs when I was 25 or even 30.

So it goes.

_ciel
10-25-2013, 09:51

The official stance according to the OPM website is 2 weeks notice. And I plan on using my leftover leave for the period between quitting and starting the trail. That's awful that they kicked you out a week later, but thankfully as another commented "the government doesn't do anything quickly." ;)

Grad school has been the goal since before I started and when the opportunity to do the AT presented itself, I couldn't help but to go. I just had to adjust my plans a little. I've been saving furiously and have enough to hike and have a cushion after I come back. With a bachelor's in Chemistry, I think I'll be able to find work relatively easily if I have to pull off the trail for any reason. Thanks everyone for your inquiry and concern on this!

perdidochas
10-25-2013, 10:26
As a retired federal employee I would stress that you want to leave in good graces because your final paperwork will have you identified as re-hirable or not and that will follow you for any govt job. Secondly it was always my experience that the day after someone leaves they are pretty much forgotten.

I've found it takes a week to forget somebody that leaves ;-) unless they owe you money. Still haven't forgotten that guy.

Bati
10-25-2013, 20:04
When I was in my twenties, I quit my government job to go hike the AT before starting grad school. Based on timelines, I didn't have the assistantship lined up when I left; I recall getting the news in Hot Springs.

I kept my formal reasons for quitting (safety-related) very clear and had them well documented and was told I qualified for unemployment when I left. I had to take terminal leave, so I never did file, which is one regret I have, as it could have put more pressure on changing the situation for the folks still there (it was resolved several years later.) From what I heard from several people and from a return visit, I was not forgotten the day after I left.

So I think you have a great plan, and my advice is to ask for a leave of absence, but be clear that you're planning to go grad school afterwards. In my case, I had asked for one, it was denied, but had it been granted and the safety situation not been resolved (it wasn't at that time), I could not have returned. Let them decide if the paperwork is worth the risk that you might not return or not; the worst you can hear is "no" which is where you are now. Two weeks formal notice is fine, but if there's someone you trust, you can talk to them about it earlier. I told my plans early on to someone at work who left to hike the AT a few years after I did, on a leave of absence.

CELTIC BUCK
10-29-2013, 14:13
My suggestion would be 2 weeks notice ; in writing Never a email; stating accepted at Graduate School and Thanking them for the learning opportunity. If you want to in a face to face meeting share that before starting back to Grad School you are off on a Grand Adventure the AT. Decent people will admire you and the rest really don't matter.

gravityman
10-29-2013, 14:28
I had been relying on that last paycheck and now was cut short 2 weeks.

If they terminated you before you're mutually agreed on date, they owe you unemployment. If you told them that, they would have back peddled, because it makes the unemployment premium they pay go up, and they don't want to do that. The only way they can get out of paying that unemployment premium is if either they fired you for cause (didn't show up for work, did something illegal, etc) or if you voluntarily quit.

This sounds like a sucky employer, and you should advertise who that is.

gravityman
10-29-2013, 14:33

I seriously doubt this. I think it's urban legend. If they walk you out, they fired you.

Astro
10-29-2013, 20:21
I seriously doubt this. I think it's urban legend. If they walk you out, they fired you.

It is not an urban legend, it is true. If you are an engineer going to a competitor in the high tech industry, they will walk you to the door (and when you look at the big picture, I personally think rightly so). I have seen it first hand. When turning in my 2 weeks notice to that company I was sure to make it clear to them that I was not going to a competitor.

QHShowoman
10-29-2013, 20:56

This is not necessarily true. In tech companies, they do this all the time. They will usually give you severance pay for two weeks, but walk you out immediately and disable your email and computer access so you don't steal any sort of intellectual property.

At the last company I worked for, I also had to sign a non-compete that prohibited me from working for similar tech companies - worldwide - for two years.

WolfCBP
10-30-2013, 04:47
I recommend you go with leave of absence. If you quit, they lose that billet and that position vanishes. They are not permitted to backfill....yet. Unless your experience is like mine in CBP and you are ready to escape the public sector.

Starchild
10-30-2013, 08:36
You may be surprised at the support you might receive if you came right out and told them (in due time). Now this is not a sure thing, but it happened many times to me in situations where I thought I would hurt relationships. Before even considering my thru, saying that I needed a day off for hiking was like playing a trump card, everyone backed down, if I said I was not feeling well people questioned and tried to convince me to come in anyway. Sort of unexplainable, but my take is that I was suppose to be doing what I was doing in life and people could not oppose that. Also for the thru I feel many deeply respect that and will back off any objection.

That was my situation with hiking and the AT, not saying it will work for everyone.

Good Luck

xokie
10-30-2013, 09:00
Slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan...............................:)

Since the Coach has wisely stepped away from the silly concept of "grown up" advice may I suggest you check out Johnny Paycheck's greatest hits.

sseldovia
01-12-2014, 15:58
We're getting close to the "down to the wire" here, but would like to throw out my story. I've been with the same company for 3+ years, and after talking to a couple of friends, decided to let them know my plan months and months in advance. That way, they can begin to decide what they'll do about it - hire a temp, spread the work out, etc - well in advance. I've had an incredible amount of support from everyone - several people, including my boss, bought me things from my Amazon wishlist. And I get to come back to a job if I want it, taking a leave of absence. Open, honest communication is key in any relationship - even and especially work ones. Good luck!!

4eyedbuzzard
01-12-2014, 16:18
As a retired federal employee I would stress that you want to leave in good graces because your final paperwork will have you identified as re-hirable or not and that will follow you for any govt job. Secondly it was always my experience that the day after someone leaves they are pretty much forgotten.I still visit my old government office when I'm in town back home. Made many friends in the short time I was there before transferring to another agency (they knew I was leaving two months in advance). Few people in Federal service hold grudges. People move around all the time, especially for advancement. If OP is not in a temporary "NTE" appointment or under a hiring authority that doesn't confer "status", she is a "career conditional" employee (< 3 years service) and has certain status rights (mostly the ability to be considered for jobs that are only open to current federal employees) for three years following her resignation. This opens up a lot more federal positions for her during and after grad school. She needs to check her latest SF-50 (notification of personnel action) to make sure of her status and keep as many doors open as possible.

Bags4266
01-12-2014, 16:38
Career and money first. Hell with any fed job you have a pension. Put off the hike for 25 years.

MuddyWaters
01-12-2014, 17:45
Career and money first. Hell with any fed job you have a pension. Put off the hike for 25 years.

"Career" is a 4 letter word to some people, a poor substitute for a real life.
Everyones different.

Son Driven
01-12-2014, 17:58
Burn the ships (Hernan Cortez) not the bridges.

4eyedbuzzard
01-12-2014, 18:02
"Career" is a 4 letter word to some people, a poor substitute for a real life.
Everyones different.Yep. It all depends upon the individual - especially if they like what they do for a living.

And rearranging the words: a real career can also be a substitute for a poor life.

Bags4266
01-12-2014, 18:05
The op is looking at a solid future. Don't discourage him/her on something that is so trivial as a walk in the woods.

foodbag
04-25-2014, 15:18
I've quit two jobs for the purposes of going out on the A.T., the first to attempt a thru-hike and the second, to pick up where I left off after the thru-hike was unsuccessful. In both cases I gave 8 weeks' notice and told them exactly what I was planning to do. I was 42 years old the first time and 47 years old the second time and to this day I have never had any trouble explaining the gaps in my resume related to the A.T. In fact, on both occasions there was cake, as someone aptly described it, and encouragement all around.

Life is a finite experience - there will always be another job, school, etc.

Lambarrassment
04-25-2014, 18:14
You and I sound a lot alike. I wasn't working for the government but it was still my first "big boy" job. I had been there for two years and they were also not in a position where they could easily replace me. I left it earlier this month and am about to start my hike.

I had a very strong relationship with my boss; we had a lot of shared interests and spoke about things beyond work on a regular basis. I don't know if that's the case for you. That helped me in the sense that I felt he would understand where I was coming from with the urge to leave and do something adventurous, so all I had to do was be honest. It also made it much more difficult, because it just sucks having to break bad news to someone you like.

I told him in January. I asked him to get lunch with me, no agenda. We spent most of the meal just talking about what we had done over the holidays, and a little bit about our reflections of 2013 and our goals for 2014. I broke the news near the end, once I felt I had sort of put my job in the context of that bigger picture. It was important to me to present my decision in way that didn't make it seem like I was leaving due to an issue with the company or a lack of interest in their work. I always framed it not as a rejection but as an affirmative choice to pursue something else. I'm considering graduate school too, but I didn't even bring that up. That wasn't the point. The point was, I was leaving.

I told the rest of the staff the next week at the end of a lunch meeting, all at once. Didn't want to play favorites and let someone hear it through the grapevine. I also didn't tell anyone before my boss. That was the right move, believe me.

Anyways, this worked for me and I didn't ruin any relationships. A tactful presentation, a good deal of advance notice, and making sure everyone heard it directly from me minimized the chances of hard feelings.

As with all things, YMMV. Congratulations on deciding to take the plunge, and best of luck with your situation!

Drybones
04-25-2014, 21:17
I am not qualified to respond to this thread as I am not a grown up...as my wife has said "he may grow old but he will never grow up".

Speakeasy TN
06-05-2014, 11:21
My boss told me that I would be rehired when I got back IF I didn't let his wife find out what I was doing because she'd always wanted to thru hike and he couldn't afford for he to quit work!

sketcher709
10-07-2014, 22:54

It is not urban legend. It happens more often that I guess you think. In some industries or depending on your position it is almost expected.

lemon b
10-08-2014, 01:56
If you have a good job with good benefits and those are rare today. My advice would be to consult with an experienced employment attorney, not a bunch of hikers. A good job can affect your future family and can also impact the age you can retire. We are hikers not lawyers.

Teresa&Lisa2016
10-21-2014, 10:30
Does anyone have advice on how they approached their boss about their thru-hike? This is my first "big girl" job and I don't want to ruin the relationships I have built here....[/QUOTE]

I am in a very similar position. I have been at my job about two years, and I am CONSTANTLY going back and forth between whether or now I should "stay the course", apply for the management position that is open, stay in a city I only feel lukewarm about, or follow my dreams to hike the AT, and only find out what that brings by taking the RISK. The best thing you can do is be honest with your co-workers and friends at work. I told my boss with about 5 months notice so that we could plan for a smooth transition and I could assist in hiring and training. Like everyone else said, no matter how much it feels that way, you do not owe any job or any employer anything but honestly, appropriate notice and working HARD until you leave. You don't owe them your life plans. Hope to see you on the trail :)

timbercreek
03-04-2015, 10:28
You might want to consider section hikes to see if life on the trail over an extended period of time is really what you want to do.