PDA

View Full Version : Caffeine Does Not Dehydrate You!!!!!!!

dream
08-19-2005, 00:30
I keep seeing this all the time "caffeine is a diuretic!""Don't drink cokes/coffee it will dehydrate you" on whiteblaze .Thats just bad science (I was gonna say a flat out lie). It is just as much of a diuretic as water. These studies (around 9 so far) were done in 2002 there's no reason why this myth needs to be perpetuated 3 years later. I am providing full text of the articles and links to the pages. This is old news folks. Sorry to burst those bubbles. This isn't secret info and yes it has been published in tons of medical journals so it's not just " E-medicine ".

COFFEE AND KIDNEY FUNCTION

The effects of coffee or caffeine consumption on several aspects of kidney function have been studied including diuresis, detrusor instability and kidney stones.

Increased urine output over a 24 hour period was observed with high coffee intake (aprroximately 6 cups equating to 642mg caffeine) though such effects have not been confirmed at levels below 300mg (1).

Athletes and physically active people are often recommended to abstain from consuming caffeinated beverages. It is assumed that caffeine, which is a mild diuretic, will exaggerate the dehydration and electrolyte loss caused by exercise and lead to impaired athletic performance or health although no scientific evidence is offered in support of this assumption. Nine studies, which have looked at the effects of caffeine consumption on the volume of urine, have recently been reviewed (2). The author wrote in his abstract that “The scientific literature suggests that athletes and recreational enthusiasts will not incur detrimental fluid-electrolyte imbalances if they consume caffeinated beverages in moderation and eat a typical U.S. diet”.

Two of these nine studies are particularly informative. The first study was one to collect urine over a 24-hour period (3). It was found that there were no significant differences in the volume of urine produced in response to water, 114 mg caffeine or 253 mg caffeine. The second study was the only one to measure urine production during exercise (4). It was observed that a single dose of 8.7 mg caffeine per kg body weight led to a significant increase in urine production vs. placebo at rest but a non-significant reduction in urine production by comparison with placebo both at rest and during cycling exercise.

A recently published large cross sectional study of 27,936 Norwegian women found that coffee consumption was not significantly associated with urinary incontinence (5). This confirms the results of three earlier but smaller studies (6,7,8). Patients with symptoms of urgency and frequency due to detrusor muscle instability often complain that their symptoms are exacerbated by drinking coffee or tea. It has been shown that a single dose of 200 mg caffeine significantly increased detrusor pressure in 20 women with confirmed detrusor instability but not in 10 asymptomatic women (9). Although a study of 41 elderly women found that a decrease in the amount of caffeine consumed was associated with fewer episodes of involuntary urine loss, this association was not significant (10). In a case control study of 131 women with detrusor instability and 128 controls, caffeine intake was significantly higher in cases than in controls (11). Cohort studies and intervention trials are required to confirm these results.

A high fluid intake is the oldest existing treatment for kidney stones. However, recent research suggests that the composition of the fluid may also exert a beneficial influence. An early case control study was the first to show an inverse association between coffee consumption and a history of kidney stones (12). In a subsequent cohort study of 45,289 men in the USA, 753 new cases of kidney stones were diagnosed and the risk of developing a stone fell by 10% in response to 240 ml/day of caffeinated or decaffeinated coffee (13). In a cohort study of 81,093 women in the USA, 719 new cases of kidney stones were identified and the risk of developing a stone fell by 10% in response to 240 ml caffeinated and 9% in response to 240 ml decaffeinated coffee (14). The available evidence consistently demonstrates that coffee consumption lowers the risk of developing a kidney stone.

References:

1.Neuhauser-Berthold, M. et al. Annals of Nutrition & Metabolism,41, 29-36, 1997.

2. Armstrong, L.E. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 12, 189-206, 2002.

3. Grandjean, A.C. et al. Journal of the American Collegeof Nutrition, 19, 591-600, 2000.

4. Wemple, R.D. et al. International Journal of Sports Medicine, 18, 40-46, 1997.

5. Hannestad, Y.S. et al. British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 110, 247-254, 2003.

6. Burgio, K.L. et al. Journal of Urology, 146, 1255-1259, 1991.

7. Brown, J.S. et al. Obstetrics and Gynecology, 87, 715-721, 1996.

8. Roe, B. and Doll, H. Journal of Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nursing, 26, 312-319, 1999.

9. Creighton, S.M. and Stanton, S.L. British Journal of Urology, 66, 613-614, 1990.

10. Tomlinson, B.U. et al. International Urogynecology Journal, 10, 22-28, 1999.

11. Arya, L.A. et al. Obstetrics and Gynecology, 96, 85-89, 2000.

12. Shuster, J. et al. Journal of Chronic Disease, 38, 907-914, 1985.

13. Curhan, G.C. et al. American Journal of Epidemiology, 143, 240-247, 1996.

14. Curhan, G.C. et al. Annals of Internal Medicine, 128, 534-540, 1998.

Armstrong's Study Shows Caffeine Does Not Increase Dehydration
By Janice Palmer

Caffeine is not the diuretic demon people are often told to avoid during exercise or while working in extreme environmental conditions.
In fact, caffeine is no more a diuretic than water, according to a research review article by Larry Armstrong, a professor of exercise and environmental physiology at the Neag School of Education.

http://www.advance.uconn.edu/images/javacup.jpg
For decades, health and exercise experts have warned that consuming caffeine and caffeinated beverages can lead to dehydration. But Armstrong, an avid runner and a well respected scientist in the fields of thermo-regulation and human performance, observed evidence to the contrary, so he investigated whether abstaining from caffeinated beverages was scientifically and physiologically justifiable.

"While there have been several studies done that show caffeine is a mild diuretic, there is no evidence that exercise, when combined with the consumption of caffeine or caffeinated beverages, will result in chronic dehydration, and this is contrary to the advice of most exercise physiologists, physicians and dieticians," explains Armstrong, who has been conducting fluid balance research since 1980.

"Therefore, the health and performance of athletes and recreational enthusiasts will not be impaired if they consume caffeine and caffeinated beverages in moderation and eat a well-balanced diet," he says. The National Coffee Association funded his study.

Among his findings:

When caffeine or a caffeinated beverage is consumed, the body retains some of the fluid;
Caffeine consumption causes a mild diuresis very similar to that of water (water, when consumed in large volume, increases urine output);
There is no evidence that consumption of caffeinated beverages causes a fluid-electrolyte imbalance that is detrimental to health or exercise performance;
A person who regularly consumes caffeine has a higher tolerance to the diuretic effect;
The determination of safety or risk of consuming caffeine and caffeinated beverages depends on several factors, including the amount consumed and tolerance to caffeine.
For decades, caffeine has been a favorite stimulant for athletes trying to make weight or enhance muscle definition before competition. Both the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and the International Olympic Committee classify caffeine as a banned substance, because of its ergogenic properties. But while there are instances of abnormal and unhealthy diuretic use by athletes, Armstrong reports that "these examples should not be interpreted to mean that the average person who participates in exercise several times a week would be jeopardizing his or her health by consuming one or two caffeinated products each day."

Because the scientific literature analyzed by Armstrong focused on moderate amounts of caffeine (one to four cups of coffee a day), he advises that further research be conducted to determine if chronic, high-dose caffeine consumed over several days results in fluid-electrolyte imbalances.

His findings were published in the June issue of the International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism and were recently presented at the American College of Sports Medicine conference in St. Louis, Missouri.

Links : http://www.advance.uconn.edu/2002/020722/02072207.htm
http://www.cosic.org/coffee-and-health/kidney-function

Scrunchy
08-19-2005, 04:17
Coffee lovers rejoice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jaybird
08-19-2005, 05:22
a round of STARBUCKS for everyone! :D

hand me a TRIPLE ESPRESSO & a "RED EYE VENTI"!
woooooooooooooooo-hooooooooooooooo!

SnakebiteSurvivor
08-19-2005, 05:27
Quoting from the above:

"It was observed that a single dose of 8.7 mg caffeine per kg body weight led to a significant increase in urine production vs. placebo at rest but a non-significant reduction in urine production by comparison with placebo both at rest and during cycling exercise."

Hello? Am I missing something here? The same dose, at rest, leads both to a significant increase and a non-significant reduction?

Anyhow... based on my own (admittedly "anecdotal") experience: a cup of coffee seems to lead to an immediate increase in output over the next couple of hours (more than, say, orange juice) in a non-stressed situation. But in a stressed sittuation (like hiking uphill immediately after breakfast), this effect seems to disappear, since the body naturally conserves fluid. This would seem to confirm one basic premise of the study, namely that the diuretic effect of caffeine is suppressed during exercise.

papa john
08-19-2005, 07:59
Of the ones I read they all mention eating a balanced diet. Do you consider the food you eat on the trail to be balanced?

gsingjane
08-19-2005, 09:02
Thank you for posting this information. Hydration is an issue that seems to be very susceptible to psuedo-science and folk wisdom. Over the years I have heard so many things about fluid intake, thirst, daily requirements, etc. that do not make sense on an experiential or a common sense basis. I appreciate your helping to clear up at least one misconception.

Jane in CT

neo
08-19-2005, 09:18
i kinda like a little caffine:cool: neo

tlbj6142
08-19-2005, 09:22
I keep seeing this all the time "caffeine is a diuretic!""Don't drink cokes/coffee it will dehydrate you" on whiteblazeDon't drink it 'cause it tastes like *****. Takes too much time and effort to make and is hot. Hot beverages make me feel sick.

rickb
08-19-2005, 09:23
Among his findings:

(water, when consumed in large volume, increases urine output);

Really.

The determination of safety or risk of consuming caffeine and caffeinated beverages depends on several factors, including the amount consumed and tolerance to caffeine.

Huh? I thought he just said that drinking coffee was as healthy for an athelete as drinking water.

icemanat95
08-19-2005, 09:29
I have been just as guilty of perpetuating this as others. While caffeine is a diuretic, the fluid uptake from the coffee has been shown to be FAR greater than the loss of fluids caused by the caffeine. While you won't likely get 100% use of the fluid the caffeine is in, you'll get most of it. Water is still more efficient, but....I need my caffeine.

Lone Wolf
08-19-2005, 09:33
Coffee is a poopuretic. Gets the turtle to poke the cotton every time. :cool:

kyhipo
08-19-2005, 09:36
thank God because i quit drinking booze i would be hurting without my java:dance ky

Frosty
08-19-2005, 10:51
Sorry to burst those bubbles. This isn't secret info and yes it has been published in tons of medical journals so it's not just " E-medicine ".

caffeine is no more a diuretic than water, according to a research review article by Larry Armstrong, a professor of exercise and environmental physiology at the Neag School of Education.Au contraire, this article is 100% e-medicine. The article you posted is NOT a scientific article. It was not published by anyone of any medical reputation. It was published on cosic.org, a fringe website dedicated to proving that coffee is not a health problem and that it is good for you. This is e-medicine at its worst.

The article presents its pre-determined agenda, and lists references to legitimate articles (which may or may not apply or even be taken in context) to make it seem like a scientific article. The publishing website may as well be funded by the United Coffee Producers, as it pushes coffee and has articles refuting every scientific study ever done that shows any negative impact coffee may have on the body. For instance, the website clains that although almost all studies show an increase in bladder cancer with caffeine use, this is due to bias in the experimenters and the fact that coffee drinkers smoke a lot and tobacco is the real cause of urinary cancer. Right.

I drink coffee, a lot of it, but do so knowing that it is not a health benefit and that it makes me pee rather soon after drinking it.

I think for the time being, in a dispute between the Harvard Medical School and the Neag School of Education, I'll stick with Harvard, thank you very much.

Footslogger
08-19-2005, 11:13
[QUOTE=Frosty]I drink coffee, a lot of it, but do so knowing that it is not a health benefit and that it makes me pee rather soon after drinking it.
==========================================
Me too ...and I take the more empirical approach to the cause and effect relationship.

'Slogger

Lanthar Mandragoran
08-19-2005, 17:45
Realize that there are two kinds of caffiene, and many people (including this author) seem to get the two confused

1) Caffiene the chemical (aka molecular caffiene) - Other than giving you a buzz, it is relatively benign.

2) Caffiene the ingredient - this is the white chalky powder. it includes a number of alkaloids in addition to chemical caffiene. these alkaloids are generally what is "unhealthy" about "caffiene". This is what the FDA recognizes as caffiene. When you consume caffiene in coffee form, it is impossible to not consume these alkaloids as well (though, cold-brewed coffee reputadely pulls less of these alkaloids from the coffee grounds while still pullling the good coffee flavor and - yes this can happen from a chemical point of view).

Therefor, the statement "Caffiene is not a diuretic" may very well be true, but that does not mean that Coffee is healthy (doesn't mean it's unhealthy either). I typically have to pee after drinking a cup of coffee (more so than a similarly sized cup of water), but I rarely have to pee after chewing jolt-gum.

Tha Wookie
08-19-2005, 21:05
What a BS thread!!!

hahahaha!!!!!

Go ahead and just drink coffee.....

Rancid
08-19-2005, 21:47
Good news for this coffee lover; but my pack weight just went up a 1/2 lb.

Nightwalker
08-19-2005, 23:28
Good news for this coffee lover; but my pack weight just went up a 1/2 lb.
That's alright. You'll quickly pee out at least an extra 8 ounces!

Nightwalker, coffee lover
(even though my doctor says not to. But he's just a stupid neurologist. What does he know?)
:D

Moon Monster
08-20-2005, 02:04
First, the study ignores other causes to the perception of caffeine being a diuretic. Already described in this thread are caffeine causing faster than normal urination need and it being a "poopuretic." Both are really related as caffeine and its cousins (e.g., theobromine--also found in coffee and teas) are smooth muscle relaxants. Examples of key smooth muscles are the colon and neighbors and the detrusor muscle mentioned in the article.

Second, caffeine is a chemical. The FDA's definitions of food addatives does not create a new chemical entity that is a mixture of compunds. The FDA may allow a label to mention caffeine if the "caffeine" concoction has impurities, but the FDA's legal definitions do not serve as chemistry.

Third, this article, while of research sponsored by an organization that renders the conclusions suspect for conflict of interest reasons, is still indeed a legit article in a peer reviewed (I think) journal. Here's the abstract:

Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2002 Jun;12(2):189-206. Related Articles, Links

Caffeine, body fluid-electrolyte balance, and exercise performance.

Armstrong LE.

Departments of Kinesiology, Nutritional Sciences, and Physiology & Neurobiology, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT 06269-1110, USA.

Recreational enthusiasts and athletes often are advised to abstain from consuming caffeinated beverages (CB). The dual purposes of this review are to (a) critique controlled investigations regarding the effects of caffeine on dehydration and exercise performance, and (b) ascertain whether abstaining from CB is scientifically and physiologically justifiable. The literature indicates that caffeine consumption stimulates a mild diuresis similar to water, but there is no evidence of a fluid-electrolyte imbalance that is detrimental to exercise performance or health. Investigations comparing caffeine (100-680 mg) to water or placebo seldom found a statistical difference in urine volume. In the 10 studies reviewed, consumption of a CB resulted in 0-84% retention of the initial volume ingested, whereas consumption of water resulted in 0-81% retention. Further, tolerance to caffeine reduces the likelihood that a detrimental fluid-electrolyte imbalance will occur. The scientific literature suggests that athletes and recreational enthusiasts will not incur detrimental fluid-electrolyte imbalances if they consume CB in moderation and eat a typical U.S. diet. Sedentary members of the general public should be a less risk than athletes because their fluid losses via sweating are smaller.

Fourth, here is another article of interest, which is again about caffeine consumption during outdoor exercise--this time: climbing Mt. Everest.

The effect of drinking tea at high altitude on hydration status and mood.

Scott D, Rycroft JA, Aspen J, Chapman C, Brown B.

Colworth House, Unilever R&D Colworth, Sharnbrook, Bedford MK44 1LQ, UK. [email protected]

The effect of drinking tea on hydration status and mood was studied in nine male and four female members of expeditions based at Mt. Everest base camp at an altitude of 5,345 m. Whilst exposed to altitude-cold diuresis, participants were subjected to a crossover experimental design comprising two 24-h dietary interventions. In the "tea" condition, hot brewed tea formed a major part of fluid intake, whereas in the "no-tea" condition tea was excluded from the diet. Subjects were prohibited in both cases from consuming other caffeinated beverages, caffeinated foods, and alcoholic drinks. Mean fluids ingested [mean (SE); tea=3,193 (259) ml versus no tea=3,108 (269) ml] and urine volume (tea=2,686 (276) ml versus no tea=2,625 (342) ml] were similar under both conditions. Statistical analysis found no difference in urine stimulated as a result of the tea intervention (P=0.81). Several markers of hydration status were also taken immediately pre and post each condition, including measures of urine specific gravity, urine electrolyte balance (K+, Na+), and urine colour. None of these measures indicated a difference in hydration status as a result of the dietary intervention in either the control or tea condition. A difference was, however, found in mood, with subjects reporting reduced fatigue when tea was included in the diet (P=0.005). The study shows therefore that even when drunk at high altitude where fluid balance is stressed, there is no evidence that tea acts as a diuretic when consumed through natural routes of ingestion by regular tea drinkers, but that it does have a positive effect on mood.

Mini-Mosey
08-20-2005, 08:20
I agree with Lone Wolf's post.....it's a "poopuretic"!! Nothing better than having that cup of coffee in the morning...really waking up....then digging the cathole...

Sorcerer
08-20-2005, 14:00
Is a diuretic. We know that.

I read an article on MSN the other day about the poopuretic effects of coffee. This is also true. However, the poopuretic effects of coffee help to reduce the chance of colon cancer. They don't attribute the poopuretic effect to caffeiene though...you can get that effect from decaffinated coffee too!

fiddlehead
08-21-2005, 01:32
That's good news. I like coffee and never stopped drinking it even though i too was fooled into thinking it was a diuretic. Now i can have that second cup in the morning, aye?
Reminds me of when the word used to be that aluminum pots caused Alzheimer's or some BS. I always remembered my grandmother cooking on aluminum and living to be 92, so i ignored that BS and have almost always used aluminum for my cooking pot. Then they finally came out and said it was not true and aluminum was fine.
So now, there's nothing wrong with my heating (unfiltered) water for my 2nd cup of coffee with my aluminum pot! (don't drink Decaf though!) (i hear it's bad for you)

SGT Rock
08-21-2005, 08:57
I know this is anecdotal data, but....

I've been a coffee drinker for years. I drink fresh brewed hot coffee on the trail every morning (except when I run out), but I have also gone days without it and not suffered from withdrawal - so I consider myself well adjusted to caffeine without being dependent on it. I drink coffee even on hot days in the desert, places like the Mojave and Iraq. I've never found coffee to add more urine flow than drinking water. Some of the Arabs I worked with think we Americans are nuts for the amounts of water we make US soldiers ingest because, according to them, it only makes you pee and loose water. Where one of my soldiers may go through one quart an hour, one of them may go through a quart in three or four. Of course we were also wearing a lot more stuff :D Something else to mention is the coffee and tea over there is about 10 times as strong (maybe an exaggerating, I don't know how to quantify this) and they drink it hot, even in the heat of the day. Staying fit even in these harsh conditions is normal for Arabs - and no, most of them are not dressed in the traditional Arab garb, they are wearing jeans and t-shirts.

So based on my experiences, I've come up with a non-scientific hypothesis that at times seems to be supported by research like the ones cited. Situation 1: a person drinks water in the morning and urinates. It doesn't register as abnormal, just part of the normal daily routine. I've noticed this when I camel up with water or try hydrating before a ruck march or long run - sometimes it is counter productive to good hydration to drink water - water can be a diuretic!
Situation 2: Now the same person drinks some coffee in the morning on top of what they would normally intake in fluids. Then they notice when they have to pee and since they have been told that coffee is a diuretic - it sticks in their mind that coffee is causing it. What may add to the effect is if someone is not as adjusted to the small amount of extra caffeine and experiences some of the other effects that caffeine can induce. I have even felt these effects when I use coffee after being awake and active for over 24 hours. Try staying awake and in a fight for 72 hours straight and then drink a large cup of coffee :D

I see it as sort of like when people get sick on the trail and they blame Giardia. Even though, according to research, it is probably not Giardia but a hygiene issue. It is a reinforced belief that may not have any bearing on the situation at hand, but one that is accepted as conventional wisdom without the need of proof.

So I'll keep on drinking coffee. The only thing that concerns me is running out.:sun

Footslogger
08-21-2005, 12:41
Rock ...the only exception I would cite in your examples is that caffeine is a vasoconstricor (reduces blood vessel diameter) and water is not. The ultimate effect of drinking coffee versus water first thing in the morning may be similar (urnination) but the base cause is different. With caffeine, it's more the body's reaction to vasoconstriction. With water, it's more the body's reaction to fluid volume intake. Notice I said "MORE" in both of those statements. There is some overlap, since drinking the same amount of coffee and water produce the same increase in fluid volume.

'Slogger

Tha Wookie
08-21-2005, 16:24
My father just happened to send me this website that calculates how much coffee (or other drinks) it would take to kill you, by weight. I think it means drinking them in a row.

http://www.energyfiend.com/death-by-caffeine/

At 185 lbs, the site says it would take 87.5 cups to turn me into compost.
I think the amount of creamer I use would get me at 20. :D

Ridge
08-21-2005, 17:59
My husband is the only coffee drinker around here. He swears its the nectar of the gods. His favorite is made from Kona beans. I know because I get him a bag every xmas. On the trail he uses a homemade concoction that resembles the International Café stuff you buy in the cans at stores. He prefers brewed but because of the weight (and quick to prep) he uses this instant or freeze dried mixture. I don't know about the dehydration part, but it must give one a temporary boost of sorts, he doesn't hike without it.

Dances with Mice
08-28-2005, 13:16
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050828/ap_on_he_me/fit_health_coffee

Java Joy: Study Touts Coffee's Benefits

The findings by Joe A. Vinson, a chemistry professor at the University of Scranton, in Pennsylvania, give a healthy boost to the warming beverage.

"The point is, people are getting the most antioxidants from beverages, as opposed to what you might think," Vinson said in a telephone interview.

Antioxidants, which are thought to help battle cancer and provide other health benefits, are abundant in grains, tomatoes and many other fruits and vegetables.

Vinson said he was researching tea and cocoa and other foods and decided to study coffee, too.

His team analyzed the antioxidant content of more than 100 different food items, including vegetables, fruits, nuts, spices, oils and common beverages. They then used Agriculture Department data on typical food consumption patterns to calculate how much antioxidant each food contributes to a person's diet.

They concluded that the average adult consumes 1,299 milligrams of antioxidants daily from coffee. The closest competitor was tea at 294 milligrams. Rounding out the top five sources were bananas, 76 milligrams; dry beans, 72 milligrams; and corn, 48 milligrams. According to the Agriculture Department, the typical adult American drinks 1.64 cups of coffee daily.

Points off for reporting an average with 4 significant figures and not stating the standard deev. (I always wanted to tell a chemistry professor that.)

AbeHikes
08-28-2005, 22:40
I think it's that you're supposed to drink 8 - 8oz glasses of coffee every day. :rolleyes:

SGT Rock
08-28-2005, 22:41
I think it's that you're supposed to drink 8 - 8oz glasses of coffee every day. :rolleyes:
DAng, and I have been drinking four 16 ounce cups. My bad.:datz

justusryans
08-29-2005, 07:48
4 - 16 oz cups of lifer juice, is that all? what kind of lifer are you? bosonmates drink that much before breakfast! :banana:D

TDale
08-29-2005, 10:46
java-hounds, I've found an easier way! I"ve taste-tested this and it's got that smooth, low-acidity taste like cold-process concentrate. At $1 a cup it's sooooo good.

www.javette.com

Lanthar Mandragoran
08-29-2005, 16:18
javette looks very similar to toddycafe.com's single serving packs... alternately they have http://www.toddycafe.com/shop/product.php?productId=76 campfire coffee packs that supposedly make a pot of coffee...

TickPicker
09-05-2005, 12:26
Coffee is a poopuretic. Gets the turtle to poke the cotton every time. :cool:
Wolf (man) You're killin' me........that's hilarious :jump

MacGyver2005
09-05-2005, 19:07
The title of this thread is very contradictory to the article provided. Dehydration is not necessarily related to a diuretic. A diuretic increases the flow of urine; this does not mean that it dehydrates you. An increased flow of urine from properly hydrating, especially from water, is a diuretic effect that is not dehydration. You are hydrated if your urine is clear and copious. The two terms, dehydration and diuretic, are oh too often used hand in hand when infact, as the Sarg pointed out, good ol' H2O can act as a diuretic, although through different means. Water is a diuretic when you consume vast quantities of it, thus hydrating at the same time. A chemical diuretic will remove fluids from the body before the body has adequately utilized them, and in turn dehydrating. Let us be careful to use the two terms properly.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME 2005

Tha Wookie
09-05-2005, 19:29
The title of this thread is very contradictory to the article provided. Dehydration is not necessarily related to a diuretic. A diuretic increases the flow of urine; this does not mean that it dehydrates you. An increased flow of urine from properly hydrating, especially from water, is a diuretic effect that is not dehydration. You are hydrated if your urine is clear and copious. The two terms, dehydration and diuretic, are oh too often used hand in hand when infact, as the Sarg pointed out, good ol' H2O can act as a diuretic, although through different means. Water is a diuretic when you consume vast quantities of it, thus hydrating at the same time. A chemical diuretic will remove fluids from the body before the body has adequately utilized them, and in turn dehydrating. Let us be careful to use the two terms properly.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME 2005
Wow. most impressive. about the most sensible thing I've ever heard on this site.