PDA

View Full Version : Saving a life

Just Bill
10-25-2013, 00:28
Well I shared my version, and boy what fun that was. So tell me yours. Now that we all know the wrong way to tell a story- what's the right tale. Not to dismiss your service to our country, or as a LEO, but let's confine the responses to the outdoors. First person stories preferred, but if you know a good one that didn't directly involve you and isn't from a book, please share.

Not a fun topic I suppose, and I try to be a fun guy. So to make it more enjoyable- how about a prize for the best tale. You guys can vote.

Winner can take their pick,

A copy of Pathfinder by Ron Strickland- http://www.amazon.com/Pathfinder-Blazing-Wilderness-Modern-America/dp/0870716034/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1382675231&sr=1-1&keywords=ron+strickland

Or one of my personal favorites- Coyote Stories by Mourning Dove- http://www.amazon.com/Coyote-Stories-Mourning-Dove/dp/0803281692

As an added bonus- if the winning tale is a first person story you win them both.

FYI- Ron is the fella I met on my LT hike. Founder of the PNT- pretty neat guy- http://www.ronstrickland.com/rs/Home.html

Dogwood
10-25-2013, 00:42
Respectfully JB, I don't think saving lives should be a competitive thing, as I think you're making it into, something to get bragadocious about, or to talk about to receive a prize. You shared what you said you did; best left at that. Besides, the people who save lives/a life may never know they did.

Teacher & Snacktime
10-25-2013, 00:47
I could share several stories of saved lives, and they'd all be first person....but I was on the receiving end each time. If that counts, then when I get back from the trip with AK I'll try to record them....if the thread is still active.

By the way, thanks for breathing some life into the forums. Obviously it's not always personally rewarding....downright masochistic at times, but I think we all needed a little rhetorical exercize.

Dogwood
10-25-2013, 01:05
downright masochistic at times, but I think we all needed a little rhetorical exercize.

Uhh, you might not want to read my latest yuk yuk thread post. If you do read it PLEASE take into account it was the yuk yuk thread. Why Soitenly!

max patch
10-25-2013, 01:24
Oh good gawd.

Dogwood
10-25-2013, 01:47
Lighten up Max For good gawd's sake it's almost 2 a.m on a fri morn relax you made it past hump day have a cold one brother. let's refocus. Have you ever cowboyed atop max patch on a clear fall or winter night watching and counting the falling stars?

rickb
10-25-2013, 06:48
Well I shared my version, and boy what fun that was.

With all due respect, you did not tell us anything -- not a word -- about the time you saved the lives of some Thru hikers on the AT. Here is what you wrote:

"I’ve literally saved the lives of over fifty people in the woods. Some of them thru-hikers on the AT."

We got the part about you helping/saving the 50 people shivering at waters edge on a canoe trip. But what about the thru hikers?

Simple question: Did you really literally save the lives of some thru-hiker on the AT?

bfayer
10-25-2013, 08:42
Statistics on saving lives is like statistics on which guy or gal is the best looking. There is no way to measure it.

The best you can say in most cases is that you provided assistance to someone in need.

If I had a dime for every person that thanked me for saving their life or the life a family member I would be rich. At best 99% of the time we just make their lives less miserable by getting them into a more manageable situation.

Bottom line: Help those you can, and pray for those you can't.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

kayak karl
10-25-2013, 08:58
there are doctors, nurses, paramedics, ambulance drives, hospital workers, scientists, police, fire, milatary and etc that save lives everyday and never mention it. don't belittle their work with a bragging contest.

aficion
10-25-2013, 09:26
there are doctors, nurses, paramedics, ambulance drives, hospital workers, scientists, police, fire, milatary and etc that save lives everyday and never mention it. don't belittle their work with a bragging contest.

this .

Just Bill
10-25-2013, 09:30
RELAX
Maybe deep in his cups dw got you folks off on the wrong impression;). Steady Teach seemed to get it fine (Your storys would be excellent!).

I politely made light of the kind way my accidental slip of a sentence and inadequate follow up was handled.

Don't take yourselves so seriously. Please stop bringing offense to the table when none was on the menu.

After my reception- What incentive would anyone have to share a story? Hence the prize.

I spent all my money on my yacht and mansion- can't give a free book to everyone that answers, so there has to be a single answer to reward.

I do not find it hard to believe that folks out there have found themselves in a situation to save a life. I am curious, interested, and intrigued to hear their story.

Just like this website, the only negative thing in this thread is what you bring to it.

HikerMom58
10-25-2013, 09:33

THIS^^^^^^ and I don't know that JB meant this thread to take away anything from any of these fine men & women. That seems a lil harsh to me. I do love to hear stories about random people saving other peoples lives.

I love bfayer's post! +1

I have a story. My Dad, uncle, myself & other cousins went for a "swim" at Orange Pond up in NH. My dad was floating around in an inner tube because he could not swim. My uncle loved to pull pranks on us all the time. He decided to surprise my dad and flip him off his inner tube. My Dad tried to stop him by honestly telling him he couldn't swim. My Uncle didn't believe him so off the inner tube he went into the water.
As my Dad was floundering around in the water, bobbing up & down in the water & gasping for air, I swam over to my uncle. I SCREAMED at him to give the inner tube back to my Dad, telling him he really can't swim and started pulling it away from him towards my Dad. My 15 yr old adrenaline was pumping... I remember it like it happened yesterday.

Pedaling Fool
10-25-2013, 10:06
When I was a kid (very young, less than 10) our family use to go to the "Mountains" for camping and swimming -- I think we only did this a couple/few summers, then my parents split up...

One time I was at the little swimming hole that was fed by a little water fall and also drained off by another waterfall to the main body of water below. I remember sitting at the edge of the pool just watching and sunning myself (I did that a lot as a kid, I wasn't a very active kid I just sat around and observed things). There was this other boy, a little younger than I and his sister, when all of a sudden he started yelling and flapping around and seemed to be headed for the other waterfall that drained out the pool. I jumped in, swam to him and brought him back to the edge, where his sister and mother were thanking me profusely; it was as though I were some kind of hero.

I don't think I saved his life, but they sure treated me as if I did and kept commenting on how mature I was for such a young age and brought me back to my parents to think them for what I did.

Poedog
10-25-2013, 10:19
Cut your losses, save some face, take a hike. There, I just saved your life. Gimme a book.

Old Hiker
10-25-2013, 10:29
Got one.

Sitting down, eating lunch. BIG dog came rushing up, stuck his nose in my lunch and tried to get it. I'd seen him coming at the last minute and had my knife out, as I was sitting and didn't know what was going to happen. Not enought time to get up and grab my sticks. Friendly enough and took a thump on the head as a "No" and backed away. Photographer owner came up a couple of minutes later - stated "He does that". Went on down the Trail, no leash, no nothing. Dog followed eventually.

I saved the photog's life by NOT killing him at that time for scaring the *whatever* out of me. Glad I had no heart problems.

Old Hiker
10-25-2013, 10:30
Cut your losses, save some face, take a hike. There, I just saved your life. Gimme a book.

"Pithy Answers" be OK? :)

atmilkman
10-25-2013, 10:30
One time my sister when she was 11 years old, her and her friends were playing by the lake when an alligator grabbed one of the little girls by the leg. My sister picked up a 2"x4" and beat it on the head till it let go. The girl had to be taken away by ambulance. The leg wasn't tore up real bad and she received stiches and was just fine. The paramedics said if it wasn't for her quick thinking and immediate response it could have been much worse. It made the TV and newspaper. They called her a hero also. The gator had to be captured and killed because it was right next to an apartment complex. To this day she never brings the incident up when in a crowd and the topic shifts to gators which it always does when talking about hiking in the swamp. Sometimes I make it a point to do so because I'm as proud of her today as I was back then. If I don't think it's at a time when it will embarrass her. She really doesn't like to brag. Oh, she's a nurse, has been for over 30 years.

kayak karl
10-25-2013, 10:32
THIS^^^^^^ and I don't know that JB meant this thread to take away anything from any of these fine men & women. That seems a lil harsh to me. I do love to hear stories about random people saving other peoples lives.

I love bfayer's post! +1

I have a story. My Dad, uncle, myself & other cousins went for a "swim" at Orange Pond up in NH. My dad was floating around in an inner tube because he could not swim. My uncle loved to pull pranks on us all the time. He decided to surprise my dad and flip him off his inner tube. My Dad tried to stop him by honestly telling him he couldn't swim. My Uncle didn't believe him so off the inner tube he went into the water.
As my Dad was floundering around in the water, bobbing up & down in the water & gasping for air, I swam over to my uncle. I SCREAMED at him to give the inner tube back to my Dad, telling him he really can't swim and started pulling it away from him towards my Dad. My 15 yr old adrenaline was pumping... I remember it like it happened yesterday.
i don't think JB meant to either. i don't think JB means a lot of things he writes. he may have wilderness skills, but dale carnegie he's not.

and your event can not stop there. you need to tell the learning part of the event. did yous make your Dad learn to swim? did it cause you to make sure your children learned to swim? did you thank God for letting you be there to help your Dad? otherwise it can become a "look what I did" event.
we have to be very careful with the word "I". we do nothing alone in this life.

aficion
10-25-2013, 10:35

At the PunchBowl too long?

aficion
10-25-2013, 10:37
Got one.

Sitting down, eating lunch. BIG dog came rushing up, stuck his nose in my lunch and tried to get it. I'd seen him coming at the last minute and had my knife out, as I was sitting and didn't know what was going to happen. Not enought time to get up and grab my sticks. Friendly enough and took a thump on the head as a "No" and backed away. Photographer owner came up a couple of minutes later - stated "He does that". Went on down the Trail, no leash, no nothing. Dog followed eventually.

I saved the photog's life by NOT killing him at that time for scaring the *whatever* out of me. Glad I had no heart problems.

Got my vote. Wait..I forgot. I'm not playing this particular silly game. My bad.

Old Hiker
10-25-2013, 10:42
Got my vote. Wait..I forgot. I'm not playing this particular silly game. My bad.

Rats. I was SO close to having to learn how to read if I got a book.

Poedog
10-25-2013, 10:53
At the PunchBowl too long? Whew, you better believe it. The ghost of poor Ottie Powell kept me up all night, whispering, "JB, why? Why didn't you save ME JB?"

Pedaling Fool
10-25-2013, 10:57
Whew, you better believe it. The ghost of poor Ottie Powell kept me up all night, whispering, "JB, why? Why didn't you save ME JB?"Enough time has passed, I guess it's ok for Ottie Powell jokes...

kayak karl
10-25-2013, 10:57
so this is a light hearted thread on life and death :o

JB do you get them to sign a release for your book before or after you save they're lives?

A.T.Lt
10-25-2013, 10:58
This one time...at band camp...Oh..wait, wrong story!

aficion
10-25-2013, 11:00
Whew, you better believe it. The ghost of poor Ottie Powell kept me up all night, whispering, "JB, why? Why didn't you save ME JB?"

LOL. Regret the bad steer on the apples. Hadn't been up there lately. Of course there are fish and frogs to eat in the pond.

aficion
10-25-2013, 11:02
Enough time has passed, I guess it's ok for Ottie Powell jokes...

Ottie's no joke, but he appereciate's them. He is quite the prankster himself.

WingedMonkey
10-25-2013, 11:16
I've spent a substantial part of my last 20 years helping people die.

Dogwood
10-25-2013, 11:16
C'mon Mr Bill, you know I enjoy you. I appreciate your stories and comments. But, from what I see you're not above exaggerating just a wee bit, politely pontificating, and coming off a bit bragadocious. That's OK in my book though. You balance out well. I'm not talking down but across to you. You're certainly not unique in those characteristics that sometimes appear. It takes one to know one. C'mon give me a big hug.

Deer Hunter
10-25-2013, 11:17
LOL. Regret the bad steer on the apples. Hadn't been up there lately. Of course there are fish and frogs to eat in the pond.

Definately enough frogs. Hard to get to sleep without earplugs.

Hill Ape
10-25-2013, 11:22
my son would have been 11 in two days. his organs saved three lives, his heart went to a little girl who had never been home since the day she was born. some of you are coming off as real asses here.

maybe bill said some things that got under your skins. maybe you should all stop taking each other so damn seriously

Poedog
10-25-2013, 11:38
my son would have been 11 in two days. his organs saved three lives, his heart went to a little girl who had never been home since the day she was born. some of you are coming off as real asses here.

maybe bill said some things that got under your skins. maybe you should all stop taking each other so damn seriously
Your son is definitely still alive through those that he saved, and for that my thoughts go out to you. My grandmother passed away on Wednesday, and my mother isn't expected to make it through the week (end stage Alzheimers). I don't take anyone seriously on here, as I don't come on here for advice. This is more of a way to pass time and have a laugh in between changing, feeding, and cleaning my mother. I'm sure Bill's a good guy; he just wants attention (as we all do).

ChuckT
10-25-2013, 11:54
Got one.

See your doggie, raise you one - Wolf/dog hybrid ('leave you to guess which was dominant) on the AT north of GSMNP came up when my back was turned & stole 1/2 of a large pizza, box and all. Also no leash, no nothing (what is it with some dog owners anyway?). Owner apologized all over the place BUT didn't leash the dog. I let it go. Stupidity has its own rewards, I hope!

cvt

ChuckT
10-25-2013, 11:55
Just Bill - and please take this seriously, you need an editor.

cvt

Dogwood
10-25-2013, 12:08
Just Bill - and please take this seriously, you need an editor.

cvt

So does Pedaling Fool and one other person.....uh what's his name again?.... oh yeah that tree guy.....uh with the initials DW.

Lone Wolf
10-25-2013, 13:48
thank you....

Old Hiker
10-25-2013, 13:56
See your doggie, raise you one - .......................................Stupidity has its own rewards, I hope!

cvt

Yeah, usually they get to reproduce prolifically .

Sarcasm the elf
10-25-2013, 14:11

If by that you mean that you work in a hospice or a related job, then I thank you for all that you do.

FarmerChef
10-25-2013, 14:16
thank you....

You sir, deserve a big thank you as well.

aficion
10-25-2013, 14:18
Your son is definitely still alive through those that he saved, and for that my thoughts go out to you. My grandmother passed away on Wednesday, and my mother isn't expected to make it through the week (end stage Alzheimers). I don't take anyone seriously on here, as I don't come on here for advice. This is more of a way to pass time and have a laugh in between changing, feeding, and cleaning my mother. I'm sure Bill's a good guy; he just wants attention (as we all do).

Thoughts and prayers with you and yours. Dad is in middle stages so still has some good quality of life. Out walking his dog by himself right now. Let me know if there is anything I can do. Not just sayin'.

Poedog
10-25-2013, 15:07
Thanks man. And a big thank you to anyone performing hospice care (WingedMonkey?); truly grateful for all they do. Walking the dog, eh? That's great; dogs should be right up there on the list of life savers as well. Not just in a Lassie sort of way either ;). Truly selfless creatures.

HikerMom58
10-25-2013, 15:12
i don't think JB meant to either. i don't think JB means a lot of things he writes. he may have wilderness skills, but dale carnegie he's not.

and your event can not stop there. you need to tell the learning part of the event. did yous make your Dad learn to swim? did it cause you to make sure your children learned to swim? did you thank God for letting you be there to help your Dad? otherwise it can become a "look what I did" event.
we have to be very careful with the word "I". we do nothing alone in this life.

Sure KK... I'll finish my story. My Dad never learned to swim. (he is a city slicker from NY- 1 of 7 kids)

I do thank God for using me to save my Dad's life. No one around was aware what was happening but God has given me a gift, I believe, of being sensitive/aware of "danger/trouble". In this case, it was my Dad that needed someone to speak up for him on his behalf.
I don't hesitate, either. I spring into action, like a boss. Things like this happened to me a lot in my life.

This is a gift or curse whatever way you want to look at it...

My mom told me that she never had to worry about my younger brothers growing up as long as I was around. I was 5 years old when she felt comfortable with me watching out for my 3 younger brothers. I would never let any harm come to them. If anything did happened, I would "let the world know" so help would come ASAP.

When my husband, daughter and I were hiking the AT near Greylock. We were shuttling over to the trail head by bus. This young girl got on the bus too. She looked like she didn't feel good at all. When she got off the bus, I couldn't stop myself from following her with my eyes. I was worried about her for some reason.
Sure enough, before we pulled away I saw that she was walking along but then just fell forward on her face. She was laying limp on the ground. I jumped up and shouted to the bus driver, pointing to the girl outside the bus, "Someone needs to help that girl, NOW! My husband and daughter didn't have a clue what I was doing/talking about. They never noticed her at all. The bus driver jumped out to help her along with others that came running toward her.

I'm not bragging at all... this stuff just happens with me.

Yes, I made sure both of my children know how to swim! :>) My mom taught me and my 3 brothers to swim.

Even when I can't help myself or anyone else, I know that I can do/ go through all things through Christ who gives me strength.

I don't take any credit at all.

Pedaling Fool
10-25-2013, 16:15
Enough time has passed, I guess it's ok for Ottie Powell jokes...

I don't take anyone seriously on here, as I don't come on here for advice. This is more of a way to pass time and have a laugh in between changing, feeding, and cleaning my mother. I'm sure Bill's a good guy; he just wants attention (as we all do).I got looking at my post in response to one of your posts and realized it may have been taken too seriously by some. Just wanted to clear up that I didn't intend it to be serious and I agree with your attitude with posting here on WB.

Your post along with a show I watched last night about the Lindbergh Kidnapping case and how it was dubbed the Crime of the Century. Then I thought about all the media coverage of the OJ Simpson case which was also dubbed the Crime of the Century.

Long story short, my post was an extension of all that, nothing else. I really should stop doing obscure postings.

Train Wreck
10-25-2013, 20:32

WM, what led you to choose this as your life work? I'm asking this in all sincerity, no joking, no other motivation rather than a sincere desire to know. I have a close friend who worked for hospice for nearly as long as you. I've also had direct experience with hospice workers through the loss of family members. It is definitely a job that not just anyone can do.

WingedMonkey
10-25-2013, 20:59
Detachment and loss of ego.

Dogwood
10-25-2013, 21:26
Detachment and loss of ego.

That was raw like a freshly sliced yellow onion.

Rasty
10-25-2013, 21:31
I do the heimlich for tips

Train Wreck
10-25-2013, 21:35
I do the heimlich for tips

You should be tipping your customers for eating and NOT choking!

squeezebox
10-25-2013, 21:43
Life is a circle . Helping people to die well , is as important as taking good care of a newborn baby. I'm lucky to have done both.

aficion
10-25-2013, 21:50
Life is a circle . Helping people to die well , is as important as taking good care of a newborn baby. I'm lucky to have done both.

It has been my good fortune as well.

Night Train
10-25-2013, 22:12
Maybe I'm missing the intent of the OP, however, in my profession this subject is unspoken. Kayak Karl and Lone Wolf......Thank you very much.

importman77
10-27-2013, 14:19
Not to take away from the serious subject of really saving lives but, when I was a kid we had a little joke that went kinda like this: "Hey man, I saved your life last night!".... "Really how?" "There was a pack of *****t eating dogs heading toward your house and I shot them". Seemed funny at the time.

HikerMom58
10-27-2013, 15:10
Maybe I'm missing the intent of the OP, however, in my profession this subject is unspoken. Kayak Karl and Lone Wolf......Thank you very much.

I don't know why people would feel the need to be so secretive about a profession that is all about saving people's lives. (Or even helping people die comfortably.)
People that are all about patting themselves on the back, will do it whether or not they save lives for a living or not.
I don't believe that everyone that is in a life saving profession needs to be afraid of bragging if they want to share their stories. I think it's uplifting and a very positive thing to share.

We just had a story shared on our local news channel, the other day. A 14 yr. old boy saved the life of his teacher. She was choking on a bite of food. She couldn't talk or breathe. This boy had learned the Heimlich maneuver just 3 days prior to saving her life. He tried hitting her on her back, but when that didn't work, he did the maneuver and it worked. :) He was basking the glow of being a hero!! Good for him!!

Water Rat
10-27-2013, 15:28
For first responders, saving lives in just something they do. Not to downplay the significance of it, but it is all part of the job. Some people shuffle papers. Some people save lives. Doesn't necessarily mean they are being secretive about it. Some people sign confidentiality agreements when they sign on to work at their place of employment...and HIPAA keeps many from talking about their deeds.

In a country where people sue at the drop of the hat (sometimes, even if their life has been saved), it is not always wise to talk about what good deed one has done. Especially on the internet.

Lone Wolf
10-27-2013, 15:32
For first responders, saving lives in just something they do. Not to downplay the significance of it, but it is all part of the job. Some people shuffle papers. Some people save lives. Doesn't necessarily mean they are being secretive about it. Some people sign confidentiality agreements when they sign on to work at their place of employment...and HIPAA keeps many from talking about their deeds.

In a country where people sue at the drop of the hat (sometimes, even if their life has been saved), it is not always wise to talk about what good deed one has done. Especially on the internet.

this is correct

Another Kevin
10-27-2013, 15:47
Does everyone arguing here give blood? (Or at least everyone with blood that the Red Cross will take? I know that various people have disqualifications.)

Does everyone arguing here carry basic tools like a fire extinguisher, road flares, a towing cable, a blanket and a shovel in their cars? And know how to use them at need?

Anyone here stopped a drunk friend from driving home? Or referred a depressed one to suicide prevention?

Saving lives. It's something we all can do. Nothing to do with heroism - which is something we all hope we will have within us when it's needed, but that most of us will disclaim when it's actually brought to our attention.