PDA

View Full Version : laundry

squeezebox
10-25-2013, 04:50
so if you go the laundry mat to wash all your clothes what do you wear during washing?
Since you have so few clothes do you ever share a machine with another hiker?

max patch
10-25-2013, 05:10
Rain jacket and pants.

I've never shared a machine.

Lone Wolf
10-25-2013, 05:42
what max said

rusty bumper
10-25-2013, 08:59
Same as max

Teacher & Snacktime
10-25-2013, 09:01
Crazy Larry "TOW" in Damascus has loaner clothes for you to wear when you do laundry at his hostel....so start walking.

Tennessee Viking
10-25-2013, 09:03
Apparently Kent Laundry claims hikers just do their laundry in the buff.

Just carry some light shorts and shirt for town clothes or hand wash the set you have on.

aficion
10-25-2013, 09:17
Just wear your clothes when you go swimming and hang them by the fire to dry while you hop around in your sleeping bag.

Dogwood
10-25-2013, 09:49
so if you go the laundry mat to wash all your clothes what do you wear during washing?
Since you have so few clothes do you ever share a machine with another hiker?

Mees thinkish somehow you would have figured it out without asking.

Slo-go'en
10-25-2013, 12:20
I was hiking with a woman once who use her Tyvek ground cloth as a togga when doing laundry. We happend to be staying at a motel where there were also a lot of construction workers staying. She was a bit hit with that crowd in that outfit for sure :)

CarlZ993
10-25-2013, 15:31
Had a spare pair of running shorts & short sleeve shirt. Wore them while washing my other stuff. After I was done, I continued to wear my spare shorts & shirt & kept the other pair as my spare. Rotated back & forth.

Because I had so few clothes, I often shared washers & driers with my hiking buddy.

QiWiz
10-27-2013, 11:19
I wear rain gear when washing stuff.

Hill Ape
10-27-2013, 12:07
rock out with your... well, you know how it ends. you might get funny looks, but nobody ever says anything to the smelly naked guy

be that guy

max patch
10-27-2013, 12:25
rock out with your... well, you know how it ends. you might get funny looks, but nobody ever says anything to the smelly naked guy

be that guy

I don't know if you're trying to be funny or not, but thats horrible advice.

Pretty much the last straw for hikers to use the laundromat in Kent was when the owner was watching her store at home via her video cameras when she saw 2 hikers doing their laundry totally naked. She called the police to have them arrested. While the police were there processing the scene other customers arrived to do their laundry.

Hill Ape
10-27-2013, 12:31
lol, somebody really did it? oh my god... of course i was being sarcastic. i wanna hike with those guys, my new heroes

Spirit Walker
10-27-2013, 12:41
I carry a spare pair of shorts and wear a jacket or rain jacket to do laundry. My husband usually just strips and stays in the motel while I do his laundry.

On the AT, when I was solo, I sometimes shared a machine with other hikers. That can be a problem if something goes wrong. e.g. At Fontana, one of the dryers was broken and was really really hot. When I took the laundry out, I found that some of the laundry had shrunk, badly. The other hiker's long underwear was no longer wearable. My fault, because I had put it in the dryer.

bigcranky
10-27-2013, 13:45
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=15996&catid=member&imageuser=266

Actual sign at the laundromat in Hot Springs. Apparently some folks do try to wash aaaaaaallll their clothes at the same time. Hmmm.

max patch
10-27-2013, 13:49
I don't know if you're trying to be funny or not, but thats horrible advice.

Pretty much the last straw for hikers to use the laundromat in Kent was when the owner was watching her store at home via her video cameras when she saw 2 hikers doing their laundry totally naked. She called the police to have them arrested. While the police were there processing the scene other customers arrived to do their laundry.

Oh, and they weren't sitting quietly waiting on the laundry. They were running around the laundromat and generally carrying on (non sexual) having a good time. Not real good for business.

danil411
10-28-2013, 10:39
i did this. sometimes shared. threw in my silk sleeping liner when i wanted to beef up individual load.