PDA

View Full Version : multi tool

squeezebox
10-25-2013, 05:04
Looks like a multi tool might be handy to fix something if you get into a bad spot. But damn it weighs a lot. Maybe better to go through all your equipment every time in town and do maintenance there/then. Thoughts??

4Bears
10-25-2013, 06:21
A multi-tool does look handy, and yes most are quite heavy to carry around. Now then with most packs being internal frame or frameless now that is one thing hikers no longer have to worry about as far as needing a tool for adjustment. Stoves need little or no adjustment, if they are of the type that do a light weight specialized tool is most likely available for it. Tents don't really need a tool for adjustment, save the rare ding in a pole end and if it is aluminum then you can most likely use some sort of make shift tool, and if you think you might need a zipper pull replacement take along a paper clip or use a piece of your bear bag line or tent guy line. So in my opinion for hiking on a groomed trail such as the A.T. no you don't need one. Now if you are going on a true extended wilderness hike then perhaps you might consider carrying one, but then again one would have to look closely at the equipment he is using and see what uses there might be for it.

MuddyWaters
10-25-2013, 07:08
There is likely not a single thing it could be used for.
If you cant state explicitly what it will be used for, without using the words "in case", it doesnt need to come.
First aid excluded

You are only a 2-4 days from town at a time maximum. Anything that needs fixing,can be fixed in town in a day or 2 without carrying useless weight.

Rasty
10-25-2013, 08:00
My current gear doesn't have any fixable components that a multi tool could be used for. A small knife to cut a 2mm cord or block of cheese is all I need along with a needle and thread and a few feet of duct tape.

tarditi
10-25-2013, 11:19
I brought my Leatherman PST, a small fixed-blade knife, and a few other things - never needed them. I'm the kind of guy that brings back-ups of back-ups, live by the Boy Scout Motto "Be Prepared" and all that... don't need it at all on the AT. I've learned my lesson.
If you want a light weight pocket knife then fine, but you really won't need much.

Slo-go'en
10-25-2013, 11:48
I agree, a multi tool is pretty much useless. A good sewing kit is more usefull. That is needle, thread, thimble and the little needle threader thingie. You need the thimble to push a needle through heavy matterial.

For example, on my last trip I noticed that my pack wasn't riding right - it was tilting at an angle. On closer inspection, I found my hip belt was about to seperate completely from the pack. It was litterly hanging on by a thread on one side.

Exactly how the belt-pack interface on this pack works is a bit hard to explain, but suffice to say because I had a sewing kit I was able to repair the problem and continue on. Although if I had inspected my gear closely before I left, I might have noticed this was going to be an issue, but who ever does that?

flemdawg1
10-25-2013, 11:53
The only functions that I've ever had for a multitool are:
-use the pliers as a pot holder,
-use the knife for cutting cheese, sausage, guy lines and making tent stakes from sticks,
-use the scissors for trimming nails/cuticles.
-use screwdriver for adjusting backpack straps (my Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone straps screw into the backpanel)
-Use can opener and bottle opener.

All of these funtions can be fulfilled with a medium size swiss army knife (knife, screwdriver, can/bottle opener), and a small piece of silicone cupcake cup. Or a 1oz folding knife, a small folding tool Gerber Solstice, and use my bandana to grab my pot.

grayfox
10-25-2013, 13:02
I keep one in the car with my town clothes. I have needed it at the trailhead a time or two.

SCRUB HIKER
10-25-2013, 13:26
If you cant state explicitly what it will be used for, without using the words "in case", it doesnt need to come.
First aid excluded

You are only a 2-4 days from town at a time maximum. Anything that needs fixing,can be fixed in town in a day or 2 without carrying useless weight.

Couldn't have said it better myself. There's no way you need a multi-tool for backpacking. I barely ever use my tiny little $3 gas station folding knife.

hikerboy57
10-25-2013, 13:30
24615.7 oz

Sarcasm the elf
10-25-2013, 14:01
I carry a leatherman micra (http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/product/684351/leatherman-micra-tool-colors), only weighs 1.75 ounces and I use it all the time.

My second choice would be the victorinox classic that Hikerboy posted above.

I carried my full size multitool once, on my first overnight A.T. trip and it quickly became obvious that it was no more useful on a backpacking trip than the cotton bluejeans that I had brought along.

TEXMAN
10-26-2013, 19:11
I left a really nice leatherman in a hikers box because the weight I thought was not too much was killing me the second day out ...Now I carry a Swiss Army credit card ...the same size as a credit card with a light, knife, scissors, toothpick, tweezers and a screw driver bit

winger
10-26-2013, 21:02
I carry this one all the time: http://www.leatherman.com/19.html

Wise Old Owl
10-26-2013, 23:34
24615.7 oz

if that works for you that's fine - I found it handy on a sales floor for cleaning my nails... the pins are too weak that hold the blades. The blade goes dull too fast, and there is a huge difference in Leatherman vs Wenger in quality.

Over the years here I have had the chance to test lots of blades and make fuze sticks, pop blisters, and other fun things..

My preferred uber light knife is Squirt... Yes I know I have a few in my gallery - but squirt is my pot holder and stakes puller. It makes a great companion to removing bark from wet twigs for Qwiz's ti stove.

http://www.rei.com/product/802322/leatherman-squirt-ps4-multitool

garlic08
10-27-2013, 10:08
You should carry the tools to fix critical items that may fail in really bad situations.

My approach has been to carry nothing that requires anything like a multitool to repair--no stove, no pack frame, no tent poles. So no multitool for me. Others should perhaps carry one.

On my last several thru hikes, I've been able to repair my gear with needle and thread, a single-edged razor blade, duct tape, a judicious tap (percussive engineering) with an appropriate rock, and a piece of wire I found at an old mine (the trail provides).

bigcranky
10-27-2013, 10:23
I started out carrying a big Leatherman, then a smaller one, now down to the tiny SAK Classic and a small Gerber folding knife. It took me a while to realize that I wasn't carrying anything that had screws or bolts or whatever that could be repaired with a multitool. My repair kit is some duct tape wrapped around my hiking pole, a tiny sewing kit (very useful), and a repair patch for my Thermarest, which I haven't needed even once in ten years.

Wise Old Owl
10-27-2013, 10:55
This is why I find the thinking on these threads interesting. Because its a multi-tool - you instantly think "Repair" and type it out in your posts. - I don't use a multi tool for repair - It took me a while to get here. I picked up a pot that had been on the stove with my fleece wrapped hands and melted the fleece. Now I use the Squirt as my pot holder. The other parts are for foot care, cutting cheese and beef stick - picking up and moving the wood stove when lit. Yep it has a useless screwdriver - OK by me - but it keeps the blisters off my fingers. Just a personal preference and it had to do with the Swiss not holding up.

Oh and don't buy black ones - harder to find in the pack at night.

None yet
10-27-2013, 11:10
I am gearing up for a 2014 thru hike and as a sailor/cruiser always had more than enough of everything 'in case'.

I was trying to justify the weight of my leatherman or Swiss Army until I read this post - both are staying home. Thanks

Rasty
10-27-2013, 11:12
I am gearing up for a 2014 thru hike and as a sailor/cruiser always had more than enough of everything 'in case'.

I was trying to justify the weight of my leatherman or Swiss Army until I read this post - both are staying home. Thanks

You need something to cut with, just don't need much.

bobp
10-27-2013, 11:18
24615.7 oz

Not all backpacking is done on a trail that passes through the heart of the most densely populated areas of the US. I don't disagree that a tiny cutting tool is all that the town-to-town AT requires. But my very sick sense of humor is imagining the what movie 127 Hours would have been like if James Franco were trying to cut his arm off with the baby Swiss Army knife above.

bigcranky
10-27-2013, 11:39
Of course different trails would require different tools and packing strategies. The AT requires a fairly specialized set of gear that probably doesn't work as well for other, more remote, trails.

Bronk
10-27-2013, 11:40
A leatherman type tool sounds like a good idea until you look at the types of tools that are included in it and think about the likelihood of you using them on a backpacking trip. I've carried a leatherman on some trips but only remember using it a few times, and that was usually for the knife or the can opener, which you can get in a smaller knife. When I want a leatherman its for the pliers or the screwdrivers, which aren't all that useful on a backpacking trip...in the rare instance where you might need a screwdriver, a knife will work in a pinch.

hikerboy57
10-27-2013, 12:10
24615.7 oz

Not all backpacking is done on a trail that passes through the heart of the most densely populated areas of the US. I don't disagree that a tiny cutting tool is all that the town-to-town AT requires. But my very sick sense of humor is imagining the what movie 127 Hours would have been like if James Franco were trying to cut his arm off with the baby Swiss Army knife above. I bring the full size Swiss Army knife in the backcountry but I still have no intention of cutting off my arm. I can't even stand needles at the doctors office

Rasty
10-27-2013, 12:13
I bring the full size Swiss Army knife in the backcountry but I still have no intention of cutting off my arm. I can't even stand needles at the doctors office

I'll cut your arm off. That's what friends are for.

cjlusmc
10-27-2013, 12:25
I plan on taking the leatherman style cs on my thru next year. There are only two major uses that I can foresee, but they are big ones: using the knife to open and cut food, and using the scissors to trim toenails (this also saves weight on toe nail clippers). I also use it frequently while hiking to trim duct tape to cover blisters/ hot spots. Yes the AT is always close to civilization but I would rather be able to take care of myself real time on trail and not be forced to get off at a town that I might have otherwise skipped for some stupid reason that was preventable with a tiny multi tool. I keep it clipped on my shoulder strap next to a photon micro light. I dont need it that often, but when I do it is worth every gram and is easily accessible.

hikerboy57
10-27-2013, 12:26
I'll cut your arm off. That's what friends are for.
knew i could depend on you. just make sure you cut off the bad one.

Sarcasm the elf
10-27-2013, 13:16

Like we said, the full size multitools usually aren't justified for the A.T., but having some sort of tool is extremely useful. Check out the leatherman Micra or leatherman squirt PS4. Each weight about two ounces, I use my Micra all the time when I'm backpacking.

http://www.leatherman.com/20.html

http://www.leatherman.com/22.html

Rasty
10-27-2013, 13:17
knew i could depend on you. just make sure you cut off the bad one.

Your left or my left

bigcranky
10-27-2013, 13:43
So now I need to carry a Sharpie to write on my arms so you'll cut off the correct one. Sheesh, more pack weight.

Rasty
10-27-2013, 13:46
So now I need to carry a Sharpie to write on my arms so you'll cut off the correct one. Sheesh, more pack weight.

Dual use. Also great for writing your journal on the Shelter walls.

Sarcasm the elf
10-27-2013, 13:51
Dual use. Also great for writing your journal on the Shelter walls.

Also good for writing your journal's web address in every sign in Southern Georgia...

just think you could start a journal called: Facebook.com/TheAdventuresofNorthCarolinaRasty

:banana

Rasty
10-27-2013, 14:05
Also good for writing your journal's web address in every sign in Southern Georgia...

just think you could start a journal called: Facebook.com/TheAdventuresofNorthCarolinaRasty

:banana

Who uses Facebook anymore?

HikerMom58
10-27-2013, 14:16
Who uses Facebook anymore?

Me me!! (Raising hand) If it weren't for Facebook, I wouldn't know that MM , aka Mountain Mike , is on his way back home to SD tomorrow AND his mother threw him a 50th birthday party that he couldn't attend. :>( He only got to hike a few days b/c while he was in NH, he was being awesome helping his dad work on his cabin. That man has building skilzzz!! :banana There is pics to prove it! :>)

aficion
10-27-2013, 14:32
Me me!! (Raising hand) If it weren't for Facebook, I wouldn't know that MM , aka Mountain Mike , is on his way back home to SD tomorrow AND his mother threw him a 50th birthday party that he couldn't attend. :>( He only got to hike a few days b/c while he was in NH, he was being awesome helping his dad work on his cabin. That man has building skilzzz!! :banana There is pics to prove it! :>)

Hey Mom! How's MM's leg doing?

hikerboy57
10-27-2013, 14:46
Your left or my left
come to think of it, stay away from my appendages..i'll chew through my arm if i have to

HikerMom58
10-27-2013, 14:52
Hey Mom! How's MM's leg doing?

Good memory aficion :>).. He had gout or something a while back, I remember that as well. He seems to be doing fine, now. :>) He's the BEST!!

Wise Old Owl
10-27-2013, 15:24
don't cut my wings bro.......

Another Kevin
10-27-2013, 16:20
Hmm. I haven't abandoned my Leatherman yet.

The knife blade is handy - cutting cheese or sausage at the very least, or cutting Spectra cord, or vandalizing shelters (JUST KIDDING!!!).
The itty-bitty screwdriver is there when I need to adjust my glasses. I used to carry a jeweler's screwdriver for the purpose, but then I could never find it at need. (I have an extra #0-64 screw stuck in a piece of tape in my sewing kit, by the way.)
I've used the pliers to straighten bent eyeglasses, crimp in a temporary rivet in my snowshoes, grip a hot pot, or put the simmer ring on my stove.
The scissors have various uses. What I used mine for on the last trip? Made muffin batter in a freezer bag. Snipped the corner of the bag to squeeze it into foil muffin cups (and steam baked them in my Grease Pot).
I've used the church key for, uhm, the obvious purpose of access to alcohol. OK, this was actually off-trail, but nobody else in my group had an opener!
I've even used the awl to lace my backpack waistbelt with cord after the buckle once broke on the trail.

It appears that the Squirt has essentially I need - thanks, Sarcasm, for the pointer - and the next time I'm in the mood to spend a few bucks to pare a quarter pound, that may be what I go for. (I'm still carrying an original Leatherman PST - no longer being manufactured - which has served me well for years.) I use it regularly enough that I feel naked without it, so while I might go for a lighter weight multitool, I'm unlikely to abandon having one.

Mags
10-27-2013, 18:48
But my very sick sense of humor is imagining the what movie 127 Hours would have been like if James Franco were trying to cut his arm off with the baby Swiss Army knife above.

I've backpacked in Utah (solo). I've also been canyoneering in Blue John Canyon where Ralston went (not solo)

Besides carrying a cheap knock-off SAK (which is what he carried), he may have been better not using a choke stone to hold his weight. A definite no-no. Esp when canyoneering solo. :)

For what it's worth, I carry the small SAK when backpacking.

For climbing and backcountry skiing, which are more equipment intense, I do carry a Leatherman kick.

jeffmeh
10-28-2013, 14:11
if that works for you that's fine - I found it handy on a sales floor for cleaning my nails... the pins are too weak that hold the blades. The blade goes dull too fast, and there is a huge difference in Leatherman vs Wenger in quality.

Over the years here I have had the chance to test lots of blades and make fuze sticks, pop blisters, and other fun things..

My preferred uber light knife is Squirt... Yes I know I have a few in my gallery - but squirt is my pot holder and stakes puller. It makes a great companion to removing bark from wet twigs for Qwiz's ti stove.

http://www.rei.com/product/802322/leatherman-squirt-ps4-multitool

I'm with WOW on this one. The Squirt PS4 gets you a small blade, pliers, scissors, etc. at a relatively low weight.

jefals
10-28-2013, 19:44

Is that right, MW? Do you mean that from any place on the AT, you're just 2-4 days from town? I kinda thought, at least in Maine and New Hampshire, the towns might be fewer and farther between...

MuddyWaters
10-28-2013, 19:57
Is that right, MW? Do you mean that from any place on the AT, you're just 2-4 days from town? I kinda thought, at least in Maine and New Hampshire, the towns might be fewer and farther between...

Depends on the hiker.
Not at 20-25 miles per day.

jefals
10-28-2013, 20:03
Depends on the hiker.
Not at 20-25 miles per day.

got it. thx!

Son Driven
10-28-2013, 23:28
Seen abandoned in hiker boxes, on multiple occasions during my 2013 through hike.

double d
10-29-2013, 01:09
24615.7 oz Best "multi-tool" on the planet for hiking!

Jeff Kindy
10-29-2013, 08:25
I carry a Leatherman Kick everyday. The only thing I wish it had was a saw. But for section hiking I am getting one of the leathermen with the scissors instead of the pliers.