PDA

View Full Version : I don't want a trail name.

bishbash
10-25-2013, 06:35
I just want to be called by my real name, is that gonna be ok?

To be honest I am not actually going to be doing the AT for another 5 years, but already worried that people are gonna think I'm a stick in the mud for not having a trail name.

aficion
10-25-2013, 06:40

To be honest I am not actually going to be doing the AT for another 5 years, but already worried that people are gonna think I'm a stick in the mud for not having a trail name.

As long as you don't have any noteworthy habits or idiosyncasies, you'll be okay. Otherwise, you'll get tagged with one, whether you like it or not.

bishbash
10-25-2013, 06:41
I was thinking perhaps I shall tell people that my real name is Angel Dust, but whilst on the trail I shall be using the pseudonym of "Rob". Yes that would work, would only be a white lie and I would feel happier.

bishbash
10-25-2013, 06:42
Fair enough aficion, there must be some people (a lot?) that don't use trail names. Right?

Doc
10-25-2013, 06:52
I assume that your name is Rob so tell folks that your trail name is Rob. When they ask further questions you tell them that it stands for "rain on back" with an outlandish story to back it up. Another option is to use "just Rob" and folks will call you Rob. Check out the AT listing of 2000 milers and you will see some without trail names.

John B
10-25-2013, 07:05
You could start by using your real name on this site. John Buckner; Lexington, Kentucky.

aficion
10-25-2013, 07:29
You could start by using your real name on this site. John Buckner; Lexington, Kentucky.

Can I call you Sloop?

lush242000
10-25-2013, 08:09

Don't worry about it.

Sent from somewhere.

Traffic Jam
10-25-2013, 08:12
Lol! On the trail I always use my real name and have heard some really snarky comments.

Mags
10-25-2013, 08:25
Some people will insist on a trail name. The majority of people won't care. But, the minority is usually the most vocal. :)

Sailing_Faith
10-25-2013, 08:31

... Hum.... :)

Sarcasm the elf
10-25-2013, 08:36
Some people will insist on a trail name. The majority of people won't care. But, the minority is usually the most vocal. :)

And some people simply have a real name that's catchy enough to become a trail name. :)

moldy
10-25-2013, 08:57
Resistance is futile, you will become assimilated into the collective. So says the Borg. Trail names are a gift given to you by others, refusal is not a good option. You may think you are alone out there and you will start out that way. In a weeks time you will be on the team and will be awarded your "trail name". You will embrace it. Resistance is futile.

no-name
10-25-2013, 09:07
It is fine to not have a trail name.

Trailweaver
10-25-2013, 09:18
Good grief. . . Worry about something that is really important, like whether you're gonna freeze to death in your wet clothes or break your leg when (not if) you fall scrambling over some rocks. Go with Rob, and tell people it is your trail name.

illabelle
10-25-2013, 09:39
I don't have a trail name yet. Occasionally someone will ask my trail name, but nobody ever thought it was weird that I don't have one.

On the other hand, I feel like I'm missing out by not having an alternate identity. My husband keeps trying to give me trail names, but so far they've been kind of dumb (Yes, "dumbbell" has been mentioned!).

I know! I'll make a new identity for each section we do. That way I can support my multiple personalities! :bse

bfayer
10-25-2013, 09:44

Can I call you Sloop?

Only if he hikes with his Grandfather :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Rolls Kanardly
10-25-2013, 09:46
Add a trail name, try out your trail name, change your trail name, get rid of your trail name. Most on the trail will like you no matter what moniker you go by.

Rolls Kanardly

Dogwood
Uhh, a user name doesn't seem to currently be bothering you. How about the trail name Bishbash to match this sites user name ... uhh, you're using?

The Solemates

on whiteblaze, your trailname is now stick in the mud

aficion
10-25-2013, 09:51

beats panties in a wad

Mags
10-25-2013, 09:53
And some people simply have a real name that's catchy enough to become a trail name. :)

Only lazy people use 80+ yr old family nick names on trails.....

;)

aficion
10-25-2013, 09:54
Only if he hikes with his Grandfather :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

fayer nuff

Dogwood
10-25-2013, 10:02
Fair enough aficion, there must be some people (a lot?) that don't use trail names. Right?

WRONG. In the AT Rule Book that all AT hikers are required by law to memorize and abide by pg 114 paragraph 2 it specifically states "all hikers must adopt a trailname under penalty of trail law." If you are found guilty in a court of your trail peers they are ordered to take all your Ramen for a period lasting no longer than 3 trail days for the first offense. If found guilty of a subsequent similar Level 1 offense you are ordered to additionally hike for a period of no more than 3 trail days with one hiking shoe.

Starchild
10-25-2013, 10:07
In 5 years you may change your mind, or perhaps you will get one you like. Either way I have met some thru's that have no trail name. If it appears like you may be getting one perhaps the best way would be to just say right away please do not call me that, it is hurtful to you. Most thru hikers I have met are good hearted and I believe they will honor such a request.

Peace

aficion
10-25-2013, 10:07
WRONG. In the AT Rule Book that all AT hikers are required by law to memorize and abide by pg 114 paragraph 2 it specifically states "all hikers must adopt a trailname under penalty of trail law." If you are found guilty in a court of your trail peers they are ordered to take all your Ramen for a period lasting no longer than 3 trail days for the first offense. If found guilty of a subsequent similar Level 1 offense you are ordered to additionally hike for a period of no more than 3 trail days with one hiking shoe.

would that make you go round in circles like a one footed duck?

Special K
10-25-2013, 10:15
I don't have a trail name yet.....I know! I'll make a new identity for each section we do. That way I can support my multiple personalities! :bse

Sybil.....

Sailing_Faith
10-25-2013, 10:15
would that make you go round in circles like a one footed duck?

Stick in the Mud / One Footed Duck,

this is your second excellent suggestion on this thread....

Special K
10-25-2013, 10:16
wrong. In the at rule book that all at hikers are required by law to memorize and abide by pg 114 paragraph 2 it specifically states "all hikers must adopt a trailname under penalty of trail law." if you are found guilty in a court of your trail peers they are ordered to take all your ramen for a period lasting no longer than 3 trail days for the first offense. If found guilty of a subsequent similar level 1 offense you are ordered to additionally hike for a period of no more than 3 trail days with one hiking shoe.

lololololol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

coach lou
10-25-2013, 10:28
I have found it very difficult to call you by your 'Trail' name after I know your real name!

aficion
10-25-2013, 10:33
Stick in the Mud / One Footed Duck,

this is your second excellent suggestion on this thread....

Love your dog's handle.

Old Hiker
10-25-2013, 10:41
Just stare at them if they try to tag you. Wait until they call you by the correct name. "No habla" worked for a while in my class until I learned.

How about "Rob Anybody" - Feegles - Terry Pratchett ?

Besides: it's "Resistance is USELESS !!" SHOUTED VERY LOUDLY by a Vogon. The Borg are wanna-be-s.

ChinMusic
10-25-2013, 11:15
If Stick in the Mud does want trail name..... Fine

tarditi
10-25-2013, 11:16
You'll get over it, Mudstick. :)

Old Hiker
10-25-2013, 11:55
You'll get over it, Mudstick. :)

Short end of ..?

Dirty end of ..?

Slo-go'en
10-25-2013, 12:03
One reason for having a trail name is that when starting out with 20+ people there will be more than a few people with the same first name. So, when you call out "HEY BOB" four people will turn around and say "WHAT?"

Also, when writting in shelter registers, having a trail name helps other know which "Bob" you are.

rickb
10-25-2013, 12:40
Bish Bash?

No! On the AT its Bash Bish!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bash_Bish_Falls

Driving patterns are similarly flipped.

You can survive without a trail name, but be warned you will never be able to answer a a simple question regarding your moniker with just a word or two. On the plus side you will more easily be able to get lost in a crowd of one.

aficion
10-25-2013, 12:50
I used to not want a trail name. Now I do. It's my favorite readily available trailside food that maintainers love to hate. "Nettles". So that settles that. Thanks for bringing it up Rob.

atmilkman
10-25-2013, 13:04
I have found it very difficult to call you by your 'Trail' name after I know your real name!

I've noticed that.

greentick
10-25-2013, 13:04
I just want to be called by my real name, is that gonna be ok?....

OK, ByMyRealName, that's a mouthful but it might work.

Lone Wolf
10-25-2013, 13:46

that'll be just fine. trail names are overrated anyway

hikerboy57
10-25-2013, 13:46

that'll be just fine. trail names are overrated anyway the only cool one is already taken

BradMT
10-25-2013, 13:49

If I'm there you'll be in good company... never had one in the 1970's, still think it's a bit "gay" today. But to each his own.

NO, you do NOT need a trail name! :D

Old Hiker
10-25-2013, 13:54
OK, ByMyRealName, that's a mouthful but it might work.

Beamer In?

kayak karl
10-25-2013, 13:56
still think it's a bit "gay" today. But to each his own. like the trail name "Brokeback" ?

T.S.Kobzol
10-25-2013, 14:33
if you keep being complicated and difficult on the trail then hikers might just call you an A$$@@@e

:-)

Different Socks
10-25-2013, 14:41
The year I did the trail, there were at least a handful of people that did not get trail names nor use them. And that was okay, and they were okay with just their real names.

FarmerChef
10-25-2013, 15:23
I don't have a trail name yet. Occasionally someone will ask my trail name, but nobody ever thought it was weird that I don't have one.

On the other hand, I feel like I'm missing out by not having an alternate identity. My husband keeps trying to give me trail names, but so far they've been kind of dumb (Yes, "dumbbell" has been mentioned!).

I know! I'll make a new identity for each section we do. That way I can support my multiple personalities! :bse

Yes but your name is cool enough to also be a trail name so if you met me on the trail I wouldn't know the difference. In fact I'd ask you how you got that trail name :D

FarmerChef
10-25-2013, 15:25

Don't worry about it. I've met so many "just _______" and it never bothered me. No one else seemed to care either. I have a great memory of a guy whose name was "Dave" and that's all I knew him by for the duration of our section hike.

illabelle
10-25-2013, 16:50
Yes but your name is cool enough to also be a trail name so if you met me on the trail I wouldn't know the difference. In fact I'd ask you how you got that trail name :D

Well, then I guess I'll have to invent a story or two. :-?

illabelle
10-25-2013, 16:52
In fact I'd ask you how you got that trail name

By the way, FarmerChef, I've seen here and there posts about the "chef", but I don't recall anything about the "farmer." Please enlighten us.

Malto
10-25-2013, 17:58
You can go without a trail name if your name is good enough. I met a hiker named Blaze, he happened to be a very fast hiker. I was quite surprised to find out that was not a trail name, it was his real name. It worked.

Rasty
10-25-2013, 19:36

+1 on that name. We only need two more votes and it's official

hikerboy57
10-25-2013, 20:50
i think mudstick has a better ring to it.ringringring

Wise Old Owl
10-25-2013, 20:55
how about Yuc Yuc Yuc? someone has to delete a few that havent been used since 2006

Sarcasm the elf
10-25-2013, 21:56

Plenty of folks feel similarly, don't think you'll have any issue.

On a related note, what is Bishbash? It makes me think of Bashbish falls, which is located very close to the A.T. In southern Massachusetts.

http://www.newenglandwaterfalls.com/bigpics/Bash-Bish-Falls.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bash_Bish_Falls

Gray Blazer
10-25-2013, 22:00
Come up with a palindrome like Madam, I'm Adam. Did you ever notice that palindrome spelt backwards is emordnilap? You'd think they could have come up with a better word for palindrome like maybe a palindrome?

Dr. Professor
10-25-2013, 22:40
i think mudstick has a better ring to it.ringringring

Yup, pithier.

+1 for Mudstick.

MuddyWaters
10-25-2013, 23:23
Trailnames give you something to talk about when you meet someone, and ask how they got it.
Its easier to remember than real names, for me at least

We are also conditioned to use peoples last names. Asking someone if they know "Mike" would always get the response "Mike who?". Asking them if they know "Hikerdude" wouldnt, so in some ways it really is easier.

You might be given one and never know about it. Or you might have one thrust upon you that sticks and you cant shake. There are benefits to pre-choosing your own just in case.

illabelle
10-26-2013, 06:10
I think many of us have a few trail names we never even knew about. Frequently we'll encounter someone on the trail, perhaps share a shelter, but not get their names. Later, when the person is no longer around, we're referring to them as Dog-man (man hiking with 2 dogs), Cold-man (man in shorts, said he "loved" the cold), Brit, Loud Guy, Old Guy, and others that have faded from memory. Transient names for transient people.

Rasty
10-26-2013, 08:13
the only cool one is already taken

You are correct Rasty is taken

q-tip
10-26-2013, 09:17
you just got one-NONAME!!!

aficion
10-26-2013, 10:35
pish tosh

Del Q
10-26-2013, 14:01
My feeling on the subject would be that just because someone SUGGESTS a trail name for you, it does not have to be accepted, right?

There is no rule on this kind of a thing but to me a trail name is something that you (might) carry along with you forever.

A guy I have run into two times on the trail was filling up his water bottle and said "I always carry 2 liters". I said always, he said "always". I said, well that could be your trail name, 2 liter. he LOVED it, and adopted it.

hikerboy57
10-26-2013, 14:03
You are correct Rasty is taken
i said cool, not nasty, rasty

coach lou
10-26-2013, 14:27
you just got one-NONAME!!!

We could not keep up with him to give him one..........I told him when we met in the parking lot ..."that we'd give him one by the end of the walk!"..................but, we never could catch him. Finally in the last nite, he stopped and waited for us to catch up!:)

Rasty
10-26-2013, 20:52
i said cool, not nasty, rasty

It's nasty but so much more!

hikerboy57
10-26-2013, 20:53
It's nasty but so much more!
lovin the avatar

Rasty
10-26-2013, 21:04
lovin the avatar

Like the user name, it fits.