PDA

View Full Version : NeoAir XLite reflective layer discentigrating

HooKooDooKu
10-25-2013, 13:18
Wondering if anyone else is having a problem with their NeoAir XLite losing it's reflective layer?

When I first got mine, I always inflated it by mouth. But soon noticed what I though was mold growing inside it. So I started inflating it with some sort of pump to keep the moist air out. But over time, I've noticed the "mold" seemed to be getting worst. So I decided I'd try a mild bleach solution inside the bag to clean it. But my attempts to "clean" the pad only made the "mold" problem worst. That's when I finally realized that I didn't have mold growing inside the pad, but that the reflective layer was coming off. The sub-strait is still there, but the silver layer is disappearing.

Is this happening to anyone else?

Venchka
10-25-2013, 13:32
Contact Cascade Designs. They may make it right with a replacement.

Wayne

HooKooDooKu
10-25-2013, 14:55
I've started the process of doing a return thru REI under their policy for products that appear to have a manufacture's defect. Unfortunately, the purchase was over a year ago, so I've got to ship it back to them 1st. Last time I had a manufacture's defect, I had the product for less than a year and so they shipped me a replacement and a pre-paid return shipping label. That way, I had my replacement quickly, and has something to ship the used product back in.

daddytwosticks
10-25-2013, 15:00
This issue has been discussed over at Backpackinglight.com. I recently returned my Xlite after only sleeping on it for five nights. Went back to a large sized Prolite. IMO, best compromise between comfort, durability, weight, etc. Didn't have the problem you are having, though. Good luck. :)

MuddyWaters
10-25-2013, 19:12
So?
Is it less warm? Does it deflate?

Well known issue, makes one wonder why they went from translucent to opaque material.

Wise Old Owl
10-25-2013, 19:18
based on a guess - how old is it and how much have you used it?

HooKooDooKu
10-25-2013, 20:32
based on a guess - how old is it and how much have you used it?
I bought it in April of 2012. I've been taking about 1/2 dozen trips per year (usually 2 nights each). So it's only been used about 25 nights since it was purchased. I noticed the disintegration starting within three trips, but I thought it was mold (because it started out simply looking discolored).

HooKooDooKu
10-25-2013, 20:35
So?

Well known issue, makes one wonder why they went from translucent to opaque material.

No problem with deflation... but this reflective layer is a major part of what gives the pad it's R-value. Most of my trips so far have been in summer, so it hasn't been an issue. But I also do some 'very cool' weather hikes (temperatures near or just below freezing).

slowfeet
10-26-2013, 00:15
So?

+1 to well known issue and why they went with a more opaque/less see thru material. I knew exactly why they changed the color/material when I saw the new 2013s in store.
It still happens with the new ones and even my xtherm just less visible unless using a bright flashlight.

CD will replace it if you call them.

If you want to avoid that issue, use a pump/airsack from the start.(moisture seems to speed up the flaking....especially when packing it up everyday while "wet" inside) I used a airsack with my new one and there was less or no flaking of the material....but, eventually I went back to using my lungs and have the issue again. Not a big deal IMO or at least for my temps/uses.

swjohnsey
10-29-2013, 06:01
My Neoair Xlite survived thru-hike with no leaks but developed delamination near top with slow leak. It was the old style. I sent it back to CD and they sent me a new one, new style.

Violent Green
10-30-2013, 23:38
Yep, very common problem with the pads that were made with the see through nylon. Not a problem with the opaque ones. :) Seriously though, most of the insulating value in a Neoair comes from the paper(or whatever material that is) grid that is in the pad which creates pockets of dead air. Think about why down is a great insulator - because all those plumes creates thousands of air pockets. I would still ask Cascade Designs to give you a new pad, but keep in mind your new one will have the same "problem".

Ryan