PDA

View Full Version : baby carrier pack?

hikerboy57
10-25-2013, 18:04
my daughter has a 1-1/2 yr old daughter and wants to get back into hiking again.no serious backpacking, just day hikes.
can anyone recommend a baby carrier that wont break the bank?

ChinMusic
10-25-2013, 18:24
Are you friends with JPD on FaceBook? She looks like she has a sweet one.

hikerboy57
10-25-2013, 18:30
Are you friends with JPD on FaceBook? She looks like she has a sweet one.
i have yet to engage with facebook

Sarcasm the elf
10-25-2013, 18:57
i have yet to engage with facebook

That just proves you're smarter than most of us.

My buddy has had good luck with the ones Kelty makes. He used his extensively taking his oldest daughter on long daily hikes and actually wore one out (he admitted that he pushed it beyond what it was designed for). When he sent it back to Kelty to see if it could be repaired they looked at it and said "that's not supposed to be possible" and just sent him a new one.

Maui Rhino
10-25-2013, 20:05
I have a Kelty Tour 1.0 baby carrier that I picked up at Sports Authority for $150. I'm a bladder guy, so I rigged up a way to carry my bladder inside one of the pockets. Then, using a 1/4" T fitting, some 1/4" ID tubing, and an extra bite valve, I set it up so that it has two bite valves--one for each of us. I also tried to make an overhead sun shade, but it didn't work well in the wind. I have some ideas for a Mark II sunshade, but he is starting to outgrow the pack, so I doubt I will go back to that particular project. It's probably easier to just get the factory sunshade for the pack, but I like to DIY stuff.

The Kelty Tour 1.0 has a pretty comfortable suspension system. Loaded with my son and all our gear (jackets, diapers, wipes, sunscreen, lunch and water) for a 5 mile hike, it comes to about 45 lbs. The pack carries the weight well, and the cargo pockets are just roomy enough. When my first son was born, the baby backpack I had did not have any pockets to carry your gear. I ended up bungee-cording a daypack underneath. It worked, but I like the Kelty Tour much better, for its better comfort and load capacity.

HikerMom58
10-25-2013, 23:07
my daughter has a 1-1/2 yr old daughter and wants to get back into hiking again.no serious backpacking, just day hikes.
can anyone recommend a baby carrier that wont break the bank?

This makes me happy!!! :>) I'll keep my eyes and ears open! :)

Just Bill
10-26-2013, 13:08
HB-
You're pretty well outta luck.

JPD uses an Ergo Baby. Nice carrier, very popular- costs $100 new. You can probably find a used one easier than a used pack. You can wear it backwards or forward. just carry the diaper bag you'd normally use or she can have grandpa carry it. Ergo Baby, depending on your daughter/granddaughter typically only works from 3 months to around 20/30 pounds. My son got too long for my short torso wife before he got to heavy- so it got retired before he hit two. JPD and my wife are small- when I carried my son in the Ergo it got way to hot for both of us.

The osprey poco+ is the Cadillac of the bunch, so you won't likely find a used one- I'm sure you know what the new ones cost.

I had no luck with the smaller Kelty's- the frameless ones are outgrown quickly and are more like a taco. It takes two people to put one on (unless your wife is not looking) as slinging it on means slinging your child. Same overheating issue, and while your story is all ladies, I didn't have the heart to put my son's nuts in the level one Kelty.

For a chevy man like yourself- the full framed Kelty is nice, does the job, and will go up to 40 pounds. You don't need to be a lumberjack to wear them and since they are the most popular your chances of finding a used one are higher. The full frame lets you set the pack upright, very nice when parent takes a break, because once you take your child out, they don't go back in easily. So a quick snack break is easy.

I have a handme down Evernew (or something like that), we never commited to springing for a new one and we don't have the outdoorsy people here to fuel the used market. The pack sucks. I have to pad it for my son to be comfortable in it. Worse, it is unwearable for my wife, and I can only make it two hours at a crack. My 25 pound son and a 3l bladder means I have maxed out the frame before I even carry a wet wipe- all the cheap packs max out around 35 pounds. It got us though RMNP though and a few odd trips- so no complaints. But even burly folks won't have much fun, and you can see in the photo- someone still needs to carry a separate bag.

Good luck- maybe you better get out there for Model Year End Clearance and start slingin em.

hikerboy57
10-26-2013, 13:10
thanks,jb .

Roll Tide
10-26-2013, 14:16
Go to Craigslist or look at yard sales in your area. I've seen them as low as $5.00.

Dogwood
10-26-2013, 14:57
MIGHT might have one for you. My bro has one and I know his two girls have outgrown the one he has. His youngest daughter(my awesome darling niece) is now 3. I'm checking for you. Left a message for him. Remind me later though if I forget.

hikerboy57
10-26-2013, 15:03
MIGHT might have one for you. My bro has one and I know his two girls have outgrown the one he has. His youngest daughter(my awesome darling niece) is now 3. I'm checking for you. Left a message for him. Remind me later though if I forget.
that would be cool.let me know

Dogwood
10-26-2013, 15:07
If I can come through for ya, now, can you get me a good deal on a used PU to kick around the mainland? :D

hikerboy57
10-26-2013, 15:12
If I can come through for ya, now, can you get me a good deal on a used PU to kick around the mainland? :Dtough to come across, most people keep their trucks till theyre ready to fall apart, but yeah of course i would.

Dogwood
10-26-2013, 15:16
THX but I was only kidding.........I like to walk long distances quite often.:D