PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Thru Hiker

kzab77
10-25-2013, 19:05
Hey all, just was thinking the other day about crossing the border when on my way to to Springer for my thru hike, and was wondering if any one had any troubles crossing. Would not want to have to turn around before even getting near the trail lol

Wise Old Owl
10-25-2013, 19:32
I crossed over a few years back... Passport is a huge requirement at border crossings... on the trail there are cams in place. Please do not do it at night. Residents of both nations who own property adjacent to the border are required to report construction of any physical border crossing on their land to their respective governments, and this is enforced by the International Boundary Commission. Where required, fences or vehicle blockades are used. All persons crossing the border are required to report to the respective customs and immigration agencies in each country. In remote areas where staffed border crossings are not available, there are hidden sensors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensor) on roads and also scattered in wooded areas near crossing points and on many trails and railways, but there are not enough border personnel on either side to verify and stop coordinated incursions Some of these are seismic and portable, and buried..

kzab77
10-25-2013, 19:45
yes I am for sure crossing the border, just don't know how they will take me telling them im going for a 4 to 6 month hike. I know we are allowed 6 months in the US without a visa and such but im sure it will be a difficult crossing to do. i have a wedding i need to attend mid july so i would at least have a date i would be coming back to canada but no plane ticket to show that, then back out again to finish the trail. if all goes to plan that is lol

lush242000
10-25-2013, 19:54
I crossed over a few years back... Passport is a huge requirement at border crossings... on the trail there are cams in place. Please do not do it at night. Residents of both nations who own property adjacent to the border are required to report construction of any physical border crossing on their land to their respective governments, and this is enforced by the International Boundary Commission. Where required, fences or vehicle blockades are used. All persons crossing the border are required to report to the respective customs and immigration agencies in each country. In remote areas where staffed border crossings are not available, there are hidden sensors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensor) on roads and also scattered in wooded areas near crossing points and on many trails and railways, but there are not enough border personnel on either side to verify and stop coordinated incursions Some of these are seismic and portable, and buried..

Yep. Just like in the movie Screamers.

Sent from somewhere.

Dogwood
10-25-2013, 22:31
It shouldn't have to be said but make sure you get the right info from the right people FOR YOUR SITUATION. No second guessing, second hand info, or assuming! Explain what you want to do. Different situations and what documentation you possess/have to possess play important roles. One issue you're going to probably have here is that your talking almost exclusively to a non Canadian audience. IMO, perhaps a better approach is to contact Canadian Border Authorities or the U.S. Border Patrol as it relates to Canadians coming to the U.S and to Canadian hikers who have recently hiked in America as Canadian citizens. Can't you find a Canadian hikers website and illicit responses from those who have thru-hiked the AT recently? Like you said, it's worth the effort to get this info correct and prepared properly for a smooth crossing twice in about 6 months. It's going to likely be no big deal though.