PDA

View Full Version : Family debate

Duramax22
10-25-2013, 20:27
Help solve a family argument. If your financial situation allows, is it a waste of time and money to take a half day on Friday and drive 4hr to smokies to backpack say newfound gap to icewater springs to mt leconte and then down another trail over the weekend?? or is it even waste of time to drive down Friday after work and do only leconte Saturday and sunday????

Night Train
10-25-2013, 20:31
The answer: Compromise.

MuddyWaters
10-25-2013, 20:33
Not at all.
4 hrs is nothing as far as drive time, and unless someone drives a F-350, the gas cost wouldnt be bad either.

Train Wreck
10-25-2013, 20:40
If you have the money and time, I'd consider it a worthwhile investment for a weekend. Why is your family mad about this? Would you be skipping out on some other obligation, perceived or real?

hikerboy57
10-25-2013, 20:42
are the leaves mulched?

illabelle
10-25-2013, 20:57
On some level all of it is a waste of time and money. Earlier this month we spent money for airfare and 250 shuttle miles and a hostel and airport food - just so we could wear ourselves out tramping up and down the hills and bogs of southern Vermont, when we could've stayed home and walked around the neighborhood for a solid week, while spending every night in our own bed, showering every day, and carrying nothing but water. Our neighbors would certainly think we were weird! Anyway, we happily spent the money and the time because we valued the experience.

The further you have to drive, the more important it is to get the most bang-for-your-buck. Or is that miles-on-your-boots? We're fortunate to be in the Knoxville area, with almost half the trail within 2-7 hours drive. If we lived in coastal NC, we'd take advantage of every 3-4 day weekend we could to get in longer sections. I guess to answer your question, I'd do the half-day on Friday to maximize your time on the trail. Or bargain for a full Friday on a different weekend.

On another topic, you do know that you have to have reservations and permits to backpack in the Smokies, right? If not, go to their website and get educated. :)

Duramax22
10-25-2013, 20:59
haha no house duties. she thinks 4hrs is to far for a weekend. I tried reasoning with her that you will be there by 4 on Friday and don't have to leave until 6 on sunday

Duramax22
10-25-2013, 21:01
ha yes im aware we go often

lush242000
10-25-2013, 21:09
haha no house duties. she thinks 4hrs is to far for a weekend. I tried reasoning with her that you will be there by 4 on Friday and don't have to leave until 6 on sunday

A 4 hr drive too long for a weekend? Hell I have driven 14 hours to hit a football game.

Sent from somewhere.

Dogwood
10-25-2013, 21:20
Help solve a family argument. If your financial situation allows, is it a waste of time and money to take a half day on Friday and drive 4hr to smokies to backpack say newfound gap to icewater springs to mt leconte and then down another trail over the weekend?? or is it even waste of time to drive down Friday after work and do only leconte Saturday and sunday????

Depends. Explain family first. Let's just say I may understand.

The Old Boot
10-25-2013, 21:23

Heck I drive almost an hour to get to a decent grocery store and 2 to get to the MEC store!

I drove just over 500 miles to go to the Michigan Fall hang - left home Friday morning at 7 AM, pulled in to the campground around 5:30 Friday evening. Camped for 2 nights, went cross border shopping Sunday afternoon and stayed an extra night right near the border, was home late Monday afternoon.

Tell her 4 hours is nothing!!

Train Wreck
10-25-2013, 21:27

We've done 1600+ miles of the AT from Springer to Massachusetts in sections of varying lengths. Of that, probably 50% of the trail we've done so far has been on weekend hikes within a 4 hour drive from our home (inclusive of the AT from Hot Springs, NC through all of VA). I didn't think it was too far at the time for a weekend, with the only other option being not hiking at all. I guess it all depends on how badly you want to hike.

bigcranky
10-25-2013, 21:37
Yeah, but I like to be home by mid afternoon on Sunday, so I can unpack, spread out the gear to dry, grab a shower and some dinner, and get ready to face the week. Leaving the trail at 6pm for a 4 hour drive home, arriving at 10pm and trying to get ready to go to work in the morning sounds like not much fun. So for me that means I like to have a full three days for a 4 hour drive -- leave Thursday after work, get a room somewhere near the trail (or hike in late), and start early Friday morning.

MuddyWaters
10-25-2013, 22:20
Sometimes, you just have to take what you can, when you can get it.
If it makes you happy, thats what matters.

Life isnt about making logical financial decisions. If that were the case, no one would have kids.

kayak karl
10-25-2013, 22:23
drove from jersey to NC linville gorge (6hrs one way) for 2 days camping and hiking with the gorge rats, but they had cookies ;)

lush242000
10-25-2013, 22:34
drove from jersey to NC linville gorge (6hrs one way) for 2 days camping and hiking with the gorge rats, but they had cookies ;)

Cookies are important.

Sent from somewhere.

Feral Bill
10-25-2013, 23:12
My rule of thumb is the travel time does not exceed the play time.

Spirit Walker
10-25-2013, 23:18
For years my husband and I were hiking, backpacking or doing trail work at least three weekends a month. Most of the time the drives were between 4 and 7 hours, one way. It was good for the marriage - lots of time together. We'd drive two hours, eat dinner, then drive the rest of the way to the trail. Gas was cheaper then, , but if you can afford it, why not?

HooKooDooKu
10-25-2013, 23:21
I regularly drive 5 hours to do 1 and 2 night trips in GSMNP.

For me, the biggest $$ saving thing I started doing was to cut out driving to Smokies on Friday and staying in a hotel. Instead, I get the car 100% packed up on Thursday. Then when I come home from work on Friday, I take a nap. Try to wake up and leave about 1am which will get me to the Smokies about the time most places are openning for breakfast. I pick up a quick breakfast and hit the trial.

I've also left even earlier, eaten breakfast in the car (Poptarts) and started hiking at or before day break.

Tuckahoe
10-25-2013, 23:31
Coming onto a forum to get the backing to win a family debate (I am assuming with the wife), that is really bad... tsk tsk

When I was much younger and doing a lot of Civil War reenacting, traveling four hours for an event was pretty common. And most all of the folks I associated with regularly would go as far as 6 hours away from home for a weekend event, and usually leaving after work on Friday evenings and getting home late on Sunday or early Monday morning.

Being in my 20s I never worried about how far I traveled for a weekend trip.

Now that I am older and backpacking has replaced reenacting, I dont try and cram a lot into a weekend trip and with generous leave earned at work I dont try to. I enjoy road trips much more building in travel and recovery days. Things are also a little different with a traveling companion.

Most folks though are not in my situation, and if I were not where I am at now, I wouldnt hesitate one bit to drive far, walk hard and plop my head on my pillow at home early on a Monday morning.

bobtomaskovic
10-25-2013, 23:50
I hike of course it makes sense to me. Out west that's still within day trip distance.

rocketsocks
10-26-2013, 04:33
I always figure the road trip is half the fun...love exploring places I've never been.

Lone Wolf
10-26-2013, 04:44

you're 23. you married with kids? if not who the hell you arguin' with? just go

rocketsocks
10-26-2013, 05:26
he's right!

repeat after me...I'm only 23, the world is my play ground, I shall not want...unless you do have a wife and chilren, then you're in the same boat as many....repeat after me.

if I take off for six months to go hiking....my wife she gon be piiissed, yer on your own!

russb
10-26-2013, 06:04
"Waste of time and money?" It depends. Waste is dependent upon whether the value of what one receives is in excess of the value of the resources expended. It is a family argument because different people perceive the value of the resources and the value of what the resources were traded for differently.

illabelle
10-26-2013, 06:31
"Waste of time and money?" It depends. Waste is dependent upon whether the value of what one receives is in excess of the value of the resources expended. It is a family argument because different people perceive the value of the resources and the value of what the resources were traded for differently.

Agree. You said what I meant.

q-tip
10-26-2013, 09:21
what else are you doing anyway-heck-go hike.....

Bronk
10-26-2013, 09:21
Sounds to me like someone is trying to tell you they don't want to go. Or they don't want you to go.

Slo-go'en
10-26-2013, 11:23
Yep, a total waste. I think you should stay home, sit on the coach, drink beer and watch football all weekend. That's much better for you ;)

Rasty
10-26-2013, 11:25
Yep, a total waste. I think you should stay home, sit on the coach, drink beer and watch football all weekend. That's much better for you ;)

Better yet watch Oprah

johnnybgood
10-26-2013, 12:12
I hike when and where I want...4 hour drive is about max for me for a day hike. I've had family drop me off in PA to hike while they went to Gettysburg for the day.

modiyooch
10-26-2013, 13:26
You live at the beach, and I live in the foothills of those mountains. I drive 4 hours to the beach for the day and still get 8 hours of swimming. I would definitely go to the mountains for the weekend.

Dogwood
10-26-2013, 13:56
BIG boy talk ensuing! What are we social workers? Really? Are we personally aware of the details within your families intimate situation that we can give YOU reliable or comprehensive advice? What, just because it involves a hiking trip and this is a hiking website we as hikers are supposed to help YOU DECIDE what is appropriate for your situation? DUBIOUS! People eliciting opinions in open internet forums attempting to justify positions or come to conclusions is potentially fraught with problems. When it comes to something as important as your family life and from the vital role you play as a father and husband I would hope you don't rely on the opinions of internet users to come to deciding what is right for your family and situation. Your family and you deserve more! Don't they? I know I'm being harsh, and perhaps I'm not in line with the spirit of you asking this question, but I sincerely hope you don't rely on us for solving your "family debate!" I do sincerely hope your did gain something of value on your thread though.:)

WolfCBP
10-26-2013, 14:01
Without knowing all the details/quirks of your relationship, it is difficult for anyone to provide "perfect" opinions. However, from my perspective, I go hiking for my health. (Physical and mental) It is the best escape from my cubicle jail Monday-Friday. If you NEED to go, then that is your reason. If you WANT to go, then you might consider a compromise of some sort.

Odd Man Out
10-26-2013, 17:08
If I lived 4 hrs from SMNP and DIDN'T spend a beautiful fall weekend there, it would be a wasted weekend.

canoe
10-26-2013, 19:38
Help solve a family argument. If your financial situation allows, is it a waste of time and money to take a half day on Friday and drive 4hr to smokies to backpack say newfound gap to icewater springs to mt leconte and then down another trail over the weekend?? or is it even waste of time to drive down Friday after work and do only leconte Saturday and sunday???? MAX I dont know what map or clock you are looking at but the GSNP is much closer to 8hour drive than 4. You might want to check that out again.

OCDave
10-26-2013, 19:49
Waste of time? What else would you prefer do with it than spend it with your family with adventure as a destination?

Just got back from a day spent driven by my 15 yo w/learner's permit. Two hours each way to hike about 2 hours. I wouldn't consider any of those hours wasted.

You only get a limit amount of time. Spend it however you want, but pay attention to what you get in return.

flemdawg1
10-28-2013, 13:19
Yeah, you're asking the wrong people. This board has actually advised people to get divorced so they can thru-hike.

If the wife doesn't think it worth it(assuming she's going) then it ain't worth it. Especially if she a likely to keep vocally disagreeing the whole weekend.

dr.rock
10-28-2013, 13:46
go !!!!!!!!

MDSection12
10-28-2013, 14:07
My rule of thumb is the travel time does not exceed the play time.
+1

I apply that to all my hobbies.

perdidochas
10-28-2013, 14:24
MAX I dont know what map or clock you are looking at but the GSNP is much closer to 8hour drive than 4. You might want to check that out again.

Yep, using google map, I get 7 hrs to the east side of the Smokies. Then again, that assumes both driving the speed limit and no major traffic or delays.

Pedaling Fool
10-28-2013, 15:47
Yeah, you're asking the wrong people. This board has actually advised people to get divorced so they can thru-hike.

If the wife doesn't think it worth it(assuming she's going) then it ain't worth it. Especially if she a likely to keep vocally disagreeing the whole weekend.And that's why he should get a divorce. Problem solved :sun

Shutterbug
10-28-2013, 16:16
Help solve a family argument. If your financial situation allows, is it a waste of time and money to take a half day on Friday and drive 4hr to smokies to backpack say newfound gap to icewater springs to mt leconte and then down another trail over the weekend?? or is it even waste of time to drive down Friday after work and do only leconte Saturday and sunday???? Duramax22, there are some key facts that you didn't share with us. Are you thinking of doing the drive and hike together or are you thinking of leaving you wife home while you drive and hike. It makes a world of difference in your argument. If you speak of the 4 hour drive as quality time spent together in which she can talk and you are willing to listen then the time won't be wasted and the cost isn't really relevant. Then, speak of the hike as "building memories." When I was your age (a long time ago), my wife and I did that sort of thing every chance we could. We built memories that we still value. The cost has long since been forgotten.

Duramax22
10-28-2013, 19:19
hhah there will be no divorces lol. we were having a simple debate on whether 4hrs is to far for a weekend. We are both avid hikers. Shutterbug, we always go together. She is a Firefighter and doesn't like the idea of hiking alone

Grits
10-28-2013, 21:06

From Surf City I would look at Mt. Rogers/Grayson Highlands or as Kayak Carl said Linville Gorge. (first picture Mt. Rogers this past weekend) (2nd pic Linville gorge)Closer and just as amazing places to hike. Just my two cents worth. :)

TNjed
10-28-2013, 21:35
Man, I've driven to Blood Mountain for a day hike, twice! That's at least 4 hours one way, but I don't care. You get it when you can get it.

canoe
10-28-2013, 21:39
hhah there will be no divorces lol. we were having a simple debate on whether 4hrs is to far for a weekend. We are both avid hikers. Shutterbug, we always go together. She is a Firefighter and doesn't like the idea of hiking aloneAgain you are not getting to the smokies in 4 hrs unless you fly. 4 hrs will get you to Winston Salem maybe

Train Wreck
10-28-2013, 22:33
Divorce your wife. Go hiking. You only live once.
While you're at it, forget about the 4 hour drive, just go for it and thru-hike the whole enchilada. You can do it!!!
It will only cost you about $1000.
Sleep with your food and avoid shelters.
Trail magic is good.
Trail magic is bad.
It's just walking.

There ya go. The best of Whiteblaze, summed up in one pithy paragrapth. No need to read any more advice.
You're welcome :D

aficion
10-28-2013, 22:37
Divorce your wife. Go hiking. You only live once.
While you're at it, forget about the 4 hour drive, just go for it and thru-hike the whole enchilada. You can do it!!!
It will only cost you about $1000.
Sleep with your food and avoid shelters.
Trail magic is good.
Trail magic is bad.
It's just walking.

There ya go. The best of Whiteblaze, summed up in one pithy paragrapth. No need to read any more advice.
You're welcome :D

You win post of the day! By the way, whatever you are drinking...............I'll have a double.

HikerMom58
10-28-2013, 22:47
You win post of the day! By the way, whatever you are drinking...............I'll have a double.

I triple that...Don't forget the BEST of whiteblaze advice is - Hike Your Own Hike so we can tell you how you're doing it all wrong & it's all good!

Teacher & Snacktime
10-29-2013, 05:47
Heck, I'm not one to ask....I've driven 8 hrs just to watch someone fly away :)

modiyooch
10-29-2013, 07:29
From Surf City I would look at Mt. Rogers/Grayson Highlands or as Kayak Carl said Linville Gorge. (first picture Mt. Rogers this past weekend) (2nd pic Linville gorge)Closer and just as amazing places to hike. Just my two cents worth. :)
2464024641 We were at Grayson Hiiglands Sunday. Drove 4 hours round trip for roughly 3 hours of hiking. It was great. It was also cold, so pack the gear.

aficion
10-29-2013, 07:48
Call me crazy, but I've driven all weekend, just to see someone for an hour. I've driven all weekend to see a horse race that lasted 2 minutes. I've driven all weekend just to drive someplace new and check it out briefly. I like to drive. Four hours is nothing. With good company........blink of an eye..........not even a question.

Seatbelt
10-29-2013, 07:59

How about just starting a big-azzed argument which leads to a big-azzed vocal fight which leads to her sayin' "take a hike, buddy!" Then yer free to go.......

Theosus
10-30-2013, 22:03
If she says, "Just do whatever you want!" Then go ahead and do whatever you want. Don't succumb to that passive-aggressive BS...