PDA

View Full Version : Hennessy Hammock: Classic or Zip?

adamkunzler
10-26-2013, 13:11
I'm thinking of getting a hammock, but I'm not sure the pros and cons of the classic versus zip models from Hennessy. Does anyone have opinions about the differences?

Thanks.

1azarus
10-26-2013, 13:15
...don't mean to distract you, but you might look at hammock forums -- you have way more choices than those two...

Nighthauk
10-26-2013, 13:50
As mentioned above there are a lot of options out there other than Hennessy. While Hennessy is a good starting hammock and there is nothing wrong with them they just a limited in their options. In you want to go over to hammockforums.net there is a wealth of information over there.

NH

kayak karl
10-26-2013, 16:35
the classic is a bottom entry and can be difficult with a quilt or pad. my son loves my old HH explorrer for just hanging around camp. i put a zipped mod on my ultra-explorer in 2008 before they had the option. probably getting a new one (ultra-explorer-zip) at christmas when the have the scout for free with it. i own 5 hammocks and my HH is still my go to when i need a net. use DIY for winter. KK

tiptoe
10-26-2013, 16:41
I have a classic HH, which I use with a pad and a sleeping bag, and I never had a problem getting in or out with the bottom entry. I also like that it seals pretty much automatically once I'm inside, keeping the skeeters out.

Tri-Pod Bob
10-26-2013, 17:09
I have a classic HH, which I use with a pad and a sleeping bag, and I never had a problem getting in or out with the bottom entry. I also like that it seals pretty much automatically once I'm inside, keeping the skeeters out.

Same here. Just got into hanging in July with a HH. I also have the HHSS for colder weather & used it on a just completed 80+ mile hike from NH to Mass. No problems with entry/exit. That being said, I'm going to send my HH Explorer to 2QZQ for their #4 zipper mod, which will allow me more flexibility of use when bug season is not an issue. On a side note from 1 noob to another, this hammock thing is addicting. While on my hike, my newest possession arrived.....a camo BIAS Weight Weenie (plus a matching underquilt) that's 11' long, 64" wide & comes in at about 11 oz. Definitely go to Hammock Forums for everything hammock & also check out Shug's vids on YouTube. The man is a wealth of hands on knowledge (as are many HF members) & is entertaining to watch, too! BTW....welcome to WB!

adamkunzler
10-26-2013, 19:04
Thanks for the input guys. I've been looking at hammocks for awhile and have spent time at hammockforums.net. I'm probably going to go with the hennessy explorer as my first hammock. I've heard a lot of good about it. I just wasn't sure if having the zipper was better or worse than the velcro bottom. I'm sure it varies a lot person to person. Either way I think people will get a kick out of me getting in and out of the hammock the first few times. :0)

Wise Old Owl
10-27-2013, 00:11
Hmm I am sort of with KK on this but modified the pad with a cut 3/4 with a split. And I have a 3/4 Stormcrow custom - But since the thyroid removal - I cant handle cold anymore and don't do winter anymore.

Oh I like the bottom entry... I tried the side zip once... ended up like a wrapped banana... :banana