PDA

View Full Version : dumb, dumber, dumbest.

squeezebox
10-27-2013, 00:24
what's the dumbest thing you have seen on the trail?

lush242000
10-27-2013, 00:31
Gotta bait better than that to catch the big one.

Sent from somewhere.

Sarcasm the elf
10-27-2013, 00:37

The road crossing on the unmarked crosswalk across the a palisades parkway.

Wise Old Owl
10-27-2013, 00:44
24632 uhhh no comment....

mrcoffeect
10-27-2013, 05:42
Im going with humans. Bears and mice and squirrels are much smarter than most humans.

squeezebox
10-27-2013, 06:44
when I did a bicycle tour in Europe I thought the person who brought a hammer for tent pegs was stupid. the next week I met someone who brought a 3" steel ball welder to a 6" gas pipe.
Somebody gave me a hard time for not having fenders. He did not have a tent.
somebody brought a clock radio instead of a watch , the radio did not work.

Tuckahoe
10-27-2013, 06:55
I tend to believe that what's dumb is subjective. You may not have brought it, I may not have brought it, but they did and in the end who cares?

John B
10-27-2013, 07:07
A young Israeli couple on a section hike carrying an 8-pack of bottled water. It didn't cross their minds that you can get water from a stream. My hiking partner showed them the MSR filter and how to use it -- from their expressions, you'd think they just witnessed the miracle of creation itself.

Terry7
10-27-2013, 07:36
Two brothers camping over night at a shelter in Nh. packed in store bought wood for making a camp fire. :)

WeatherGuy
10-27-2013, 08:10
Me. Back in 2001 I weighed 195 lbs and my pack was 65+ lbs. In 2014 I'll be 155 lbs and my pack fully loaded with food and water will be under 30 lbs.

twilight
10-27-2013, 10:06
Many years ago, I ran into two section-hikers in SNP using a Backpacker's magazine article as trail guide/map to do their section-hike. Also, I think on the same trip there were two girls packing a full size cabin tent(4 person) that you would use for car camping:eek::eek::eek:.

Twilight

aficion
10-27-2013, 10:24
Twilight[/QUOTE]

Couple of backpacker dudes who tied up their mean snarly, aggressive dog, beside a shelter right on the trail to the spring. Dog lunged at me as I was going to get a drink. They were all lucky I wasn't using hiking poles yet. All they got was a piece of my mind. Morons really.

Carbo
10-27-2013, 10:35
Seen this many times coming back down to the parking area at the DWG - weekenders hiking up the trail, ladies all decked out in heels, jewelry and smelly perfume... no water, no clue.

illabelle
10-27-2013, 10:38
Me. Back in 2001 I weighed 195 lbs and my pack was 65+ lbs. In 2014 I'll be 155 lbs and my pack fully loaded with food and water will be under 30 lbs.

Good for you, WG!!! Way to go!
On another note, you've been a member since 2003, and this is your second post!!!!!? Incredible. I think you win the gold medal for true pith.

fiddlehead
10-27-2013, 11:33
A young Israeli couple on a section hike carrying an 8-pack of bottled water. It didn't cross their minds that you can get water from a stream. My hiking partner showed them the MSR filter and how to use it -- from their expressions, you'd think they just witnessed the miracle of creation itself.

Reminds me of the time in GA on my 2nd day, ran into a couple from Florida who had "Maine or bust" signs on their packs and they were going real slow.

Stopped and talked a bit and they asked me what I was doing about water? I said I just drink it from seeps.

They said they started with 4 gallons and were going to run out soon and didn't know what they'd do.

They were on their 4th day and still not at Neels Gap where they hoped to fill up their 4 gallon jugs.

Sorry to say that I prejudged them as non-finishers of their dream.

rickb
10-27-2013, 11:35
Spruce Grouse are pretty dumb.

Bronk
10-27-2013, 11:48
what's the dumbest thing you have seen on the trail? Somebody with a big mouth who had no idea what they were talking about.

aficion
10-27-2013, 11:53
Spruce Grouse are pretty dumb.

Yummy too.

Semodex
10-27-2013, 12:00
24632 uhhh no comment....

Umm...how did you get my picture?

max patch
10-27-2013, 12:42

Your ex posted it.

http://www.maine2georgia.com/mswingfoot.jpg

Rasty
10-27-2013, 12:46
That picture is just wrong! :)

Hill Ape
10-27-2013, 12:49
my exwife, on her first overnight hike. she packed a blow dryer, and a nice dress, in case we went out to eat. i laughed so hard i made her cry.

kayak karl
10-27-2013, 12:54
i see a lot if people inexperienced on the trail, but dumb, not so much.
i will never call anyone who is trying to experience the outdoors dumb.

Wise Old Owl
10-27-2013, 13:00

sorry that is a well known hiker on WB who over thunk the experience. Most likely had a pack heavier than ...nevermind. :sun I put it there for the regular folks to get "OMG!" moment without mentioning names...

Rasty
10-27-2013, 13:01
sorry that is a well known hiker on WB who over thunk the experience. Most likely had a pack heavier than ...nevermind. :sun I put it there for the regular folks to get "OMG!" moment without mentioning names...

I heard he had a TP fetish

MDSection12
10-27-2013, 13:05
Great post, great attitude. I try to be this way, though I'm not always successful. If someone takes the initiative to get healthy or be outdoors, or best yet; get healthy by being outdoors, I want to support that. :)

Wise Old Owl
10-27-2013, 13:14
my exwife, on her first overnight hike. she packed a blow dryer, and a nice dress, in case we went out to eat. i laughed so hard i made her cry.

Its funny - but these are different times... My dad as a youth kept a suit, shirt, and tie, in his backpack so he could go into town and meet girls.

max patch
10-27-2013, 13:17
Its funny - but these are different times... My dad as a youth kept a suit, shirt, and tie, in his backpack so he could go into town and meet girls.

If it worked then thats weight well carried.

Sarcasm the elf
10-27-2013, 13:24
Your ex posted it.

http://www.maine2georgia.com/mswingfoot.jpg

There's a part of me that is disappointed that I didn't join WB until well after he had left. I found so many of his posts to be unintentionally hilarious.

Semodex
10-27-2013, 13:46

Seriously though...after I put on all my hiking doo, I feel like I look just like that!!

max patch
10-27-2013, 13:46
sorry that is a well known hiker on WB who over thunk the experience..

Thats FaithWalker, the "well known" hikers ex gf who deserved better and finally kicked MS to the curb.

MuddyWaters
10-27-2013, 13:47
While Mr. Minnesota was quite the character, he did make it to Maine.

Its actually good that we dont all fit the same mold sometimes.

Of course there are many evolutionary dead ends for ever successful abberation.

ChuckT
10-27-2013, 14:21
[QUOTE=Wise Old Owl;1810759]24632 uhhh no comment....[/
QUOTE]

Hmm, my copy of Flora and Fauna of The Eastern Forests, Flotchar, Beterson, Mackey, et al. Says "Hiker Americanus will sometimes be observed in the Urban Camoflage phase. Something that these authors would rather not have seen the first time."

ChuckT
10-27-2013, 14:26

My first wife brought cowboy boots to hike in.:datz

max patch
10-27-2013, 14:27
MS questioned why any man would decide to grow a beard as it "made their mouth look like a vagina".

max patch
10-27-2013, 14:28
I heard he had a TP fetish

Depends if a roll a day rises to level of fetish.

rickb
10-27-2013, 15:06
MS questioned why any man would decide to grow a beard as it "made their mouth look like a vagina".

Your point being that he was living in the past?

StovieWander
10-27-2013, 15:17
Cold and wet slack-packers without rain gear or spare clothing.

Sailing_Faith
10-27-2013, 15:27

What a great post. Excellent point. :)

Lone Wolf
10-27-2013, 15:29

shelters mostly

max patch
10-27-2013, 16:16
Your point being that he was living in the past?

No point. Just conversating. If you want a website where every post needs to have a point I'd suggest checking out Trailplace. Every question is answered promptly and accurately by all 5 or 6 active members. It has a great signal to noise ratio, unlike WB.

Wise Old Owl
10-27-2013, 16:28
slow as molasses over there... I like it from time to time.

max patch
10-27-2013, 16:49
I like it....but its even deader than Groups are here.

rickb
10-27-2013, 17:14
No point. Just conversating. If you want a website where every post needs to have a point I'd suggest checking out Trailplace. Every question is answered promptly and accurately by all 5 or 6 active members. It has a great signal to noise ratio, unlike WB.

Just making a joke regarding the change in grooming habits of the modern woman, mixed with a touch of nostalgia for the hirsute days of yore.

To wit, The notion that MS's observation is rather anachronistic.

aficion
10-27-2013, 17:29
Just making a joke regarding the change in grooming habits of the modern woman, mixed with a touch of nostalgia for the hirsute days of yore.

Perhaps, thereby, reflecting significant passage of time since getting "lucky"? Aesthetics differ and change, like global temperatures.

Rasty
10-27-2013, 17:29
I like it....but its even deader than Groups are here.

You made a funny!

aficion
10-27-2013, 17:30
You made a funny!

Yuc !

max patch
10-27-2013, 18:14

Now I see what you mean. Sometimes I can be sloooow. Now that I get it - that was a good un!

Sarcasm the elf
10-27-2013, 18:14

Presumably snail space has far less of a sense of community then?

When I created my account at WB, I needed answers to questions about backpacking and I got them promptly...along with a lot of noise and thread drift. Before long I had most of the answers I needed, but the noise and drift kept me thoroughly entertained and kept me signing in time and time and time again, and all of that off topic nonsense is how we built friendships beyond the singular subject of backpacking.

Fast forward a few years and I've now met and hiked with a half dozen of the better characters on the blaze, and I look forward to meeting many more.

Rasty
10-27-2013, 18:17

When I created my account at WB, I needed answers to questions about backpacking and I got them promptly...along with a lot of noise and thread drift. Before long I had most of the answers I needed, but the noise and drift kept me thoroughly entertained and kept me signing in time and time and time again, and all of that off topic nonsense is how we built friendships beyond the singular subject of backpacking.

Fast forward a few years and I've now met and hiked with a half dozen of the better characters on the blaze, and I look forward to meeting many more.

Just remember it's not a popularity contest around here.

hikerboy57
10-27-2013, 18:21
cant have too many friends.

hikerboy57
10-27-2013, 18:26

you can find the answer to any conceivable at question by using either the search function or the articles on the home page. but whiteblaze is supposedly more than just an informational resource, its a community.

10-27-2013, 18:42
Dad and son lighting a stove.
Whisper light, they do not read any directions, the shelter is full and so is the picknick table so they are off in the woods about 25 feet away,

they get it together pump it up and dad turns on the fuel like wide open and lights it, the cup run over great big ball of fire, so dad yells defective stove she is going to blow, he jumps up and kicks it into the woods, gas on fire spewing out the whole way.

Lucky there were lots of people around, everybody starts stomping the leaves that are on fire out. One guy runs over and turns the fuel off. NOW everyone explains how the stove works. Dad says to son, "WE should have read the instructions" . Next they put up the tent............ it never ended.

Sarcasm the elf
10-27-2013, 18:42

I had just assumed that we are all equally unpopular.

grateful 2
10-27-2013, 19:01
24632 uhhh no comment....It's ok. She's on her cell phone.

Dogwood
10-27-2013, 19:25

I tread lightly in calling anyone else dumb(ignorant) as I've done, still do, and will continue to do many dumb(ignorant) things. Ignorance or being dumb is simply defined by me as not knowing about something. I also know NONE of us is above some level of ignorance.

jefals
10-27-2013, 19:32

don't know if that was the dumbest thing, but probably one of the smartest things was losin that weight! "Weigh" to go, Weatherguy! ( Although, I don't know, 155 ... you might have overdone it a little???)

Mags
10-27-2013, 19:34
There was once a person on the trail who had a Rambo "survival knife" (in New Hampshire no less) attached to his pack, enough canned goods to stock a 7-11, an old school western style canteen and wore work boots. Looked to be out of shape, too.

The shmuck forget his map too, became a little lost and ended up where he started earlier that day a "big" 12 miles later.

That guy was me on his first backpacking trip.

hikerboy57
10-27-2013, 19:40
there were 3 people who started from springer this march wearing monks robes, one with a hatchet, another with a machete, and one wearing a basketweave backpack. no sleeping bags, a coupla blankets, no tent..i called them the friars club,and they were absolutely clueless. they were off the trail after just a few days, which is good.

Sarcasm the elf
10-27-2013, 19:49
There was once a person on the trail who had a Rambo "survival knife" (in New Hampshire no less) attached to his pack, enough canned goods to stock a 7-11, an old school western style canteen and wore work boots. Looked to be out of shape, too.

The shmuck forget his map too, became a little lost and ended up where he started earlier that day a "big" 12 miles later.

Did you at least remember to bring a can opener?

Sarcasm the elf
10-27-2013, 19:50
there were 3 people who started from springer this march wearing monks robes, one with a hatchet, another with a machete, and one wearing a basketweave backpack. no sleeping bags, a coupla blankets, no tent..i called them the friars club,and they were absolutely clueless. they were off the trail after just a few days, which is good.
Did you ever get any backstory on them? I was intrigued when you an Oz first mentioned them.

hikerboy57
10-27-2013, 19:51

i think that was me in '77. well i was in shape at least

hikerboy57
10-27-2013, 19:55
Did you ever get any backstory on them? I was intrigued when you an Oz first mentioned them.
i never saw them after day one, someone told me they got off the trail 2 days later. it was pretty cold and wet. they would have had serious problems.i had spoken to them that day, they were each on some sort of spiritual pilgrimage.if they stayed out too much longer, im sure they would have met their maker.

Sarcasm the elf
10-27-2013, 19:58

From a previous thread:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?90453-Worst-Meal-You-ve-Ever-Cooked-On-the-Trail

Alright TW, I think I've got the winning story.

The first ever overnight I did as an adult had a memorable experience. My buddy and I had just dropped a good chunk of money buying gear for backpacking even though we couldn't afford it, in order to make ends need and still hike, my buddy who had no experience made his own soda can alcohol stove for the trip.

I was skeptical at first, but he tried it out in his kitchen and the soda can stove worked well, it boiled water quick enough and was practically free, so I agreed to use it. He even bought a MSR backpackers pot to go with the stove.

On our first day out we made it seven miles ( a big deal on your first trip wearing a pack in over a decade). We got to the campsite and I proceeded to make dinner. I removed the stove that was nestled in the new cookpot, lit it with the denatured alcohol I bought and made couscous.

The first few bites were okay, but then I accidentally took a bite from the part that was at the bottom of the cookpot and my mouth exploded in pain and sent signals to my brain that we were under attack. I instantly turned green and without consciously knowing what happened I ran close to the edge of the tent site and spit out everything in my mouth, replacing it with dry heaving. Not knowing what happened, I unsuccessfully tried to rinse my mouth out as my very concerned hiking buddy tried to see if he could help. He said so something to the effect of "I've never had couscous before but this tastes terrible". To which I responded that I ate the stuff all the time and that this must save been contaminated.

After a brief discussion, the truth came out. It turns out that my buddy was too lazy to buy proper cooking alcohol when testing his stove. Instead he grabbed the only flammable liquid he had available, his girlfriend's nail polish remover, and used that for his first few trial runs. The problem is that nail polish remover does not fully burn down and instead leaves a residue that tastes something like rocket fuel. Turns out that since he hadn't washed the stove before putting it inside the cookpot, all the residue was shaken out into the cookpot.

Not an experience that I will soon forget.

HikerMom58
10-27-2013, 20:03

That's great Elf. I like hearing ur back-story.

When I created my account on WB, I think I joined so I could attend a WB meetup in downtown Roanoke. I needed to comment on the thread or something.
After that, I only got on to find out the latest "trail news". I stayed "camped out" on Trail Journals. I read every trail journal I could stand to read. I learned a lot about the trail by reading hikers trail journals.

After a while I got into reading some threads, I noticed that some people posting were really mean to each other. I was surprised. I thought to myself, I have to be careful not to bring any of that kind of "attention" to myself... EVER. :eek:

When I posted my first post, I was really hoping to become good friends with everyone here. I didn't know how to do that, tho. I proposed starting a FB page in my very first thread. Interestingly enough, Rasty seemed interested in this idea. ;)

The rest is history, but I really wanted to make friends more than anything else. I have made so many friends here. I, like you Elf, like meeting & hiking with the ones I've met. I look forward to meeting many more, as well.

I didn't want to popular. I just wanted to "blend in" and be myself.
I have the "gift of gab" and that is the only reason my post count is as high as it is.... :P
No, you can't have too many friends! :>) You gotta be a friend to have friends.

I am confuzzled about the community aspect of WB. Do we strife to be a "friendly community" or just a community of people that talk about hiking?
Are we supposed to stick with the topics, on the threads, better than we do now or are we free to "let it fly", be funny & entertain each other?

If I were to guess the correct answer to my own question, I would think that the real "informational" type threads should be dedicated to the subject at hand, but the more "social" based threads, like this one, should be fun. Anything goes. IDK??

Rasty
10-27-2013, 20:41
I never approved of any Facebook stuff. If I did then I was drunk posting.

Traffic Jam
10-27-2013, 21:18
Last summer this cute, young couple showed up at our shelter to spend the night. They were driving cross country, started in L.A., I think, and just spontaneously decided to hike. They had yogurt, blueberries, and a bottle of water. No sleeping bags, no mats, no headlamps. Dumb? Probably. But they had a blast and I really enjoyed spending time with them.

Wise Old Owl
10-27-2013, 21:21
I never approved of any Facebook stuff. If I did then I was drunk posting.

Uh OK inquiring minds want to know... members... whats with the avatar?

hikerboy57
10-27-2013, 21:24
it reminds me of hikermoms old avatar. rasty looks like hes rushing off somewhere on a mission of meanieness

Wise Old Owl
10-27-2013, 21:26
Well I am a owl I would like to hear his human answer.

aficion
10-27-2013, 21:36
it reminds me of hikermoms old avatar. rasty looks like hes rushing off somewhere on a mission of meanieness

Woah big guy. Mom's old Avatar looked like a happy, fit person working out. ????? Nothing suggesting meaness. Or Meaniness. Or a fat butt.

hikerboy57
10-27-2013, 21:43
Woah big guy. Mom's old Avatar looked like a happy, fit person working out. ????? Nothing suggesting meaness. Or Meaniness. Or a fat butt.
noooooooooooooo just the opposite.hikermoms got no meanieness.just the way they both seem to be running off to save someone.actually hikermom and shmaybix are hot twins.
although theyve never been seen together

Sarcasm the elf
10-27-2013, 21:46
I had just assumed that we are all equally unpopular.

Speaking of which, I really wish there was a way to find out how many people have you on their ignore list. I don't want names, just a running tally of the total, it would be a fun way gauge how many people do or don't feel the love.

aficion
10-27-2013, 21:52
noooooooooooooo just the opposite.hikermoms got no meanieness.just the way they both seem to be running off to save someone.actually hikermom and shmaybix are hot twins.

Just checkin.

aficion
10-27-2013, 21:52
Speaking of which, I really wish there was a way to find out how many people have you on their ignore list. I don't want names, just a running tally of the total, it would be a fun way gauge how many people do or don't feel the love.

ignore is for wannabe sissies, and bona fide sissies too. That is of course unless there is a certifiable treaty in place.

Wise Old Owl
10-27-2013, 21:53

Just chickin....

hikerboy57
10-27-2013, 21:53
would somebody tell me what he said

78owl
10-27-2013, 21:54
I swore I saw them in Asheville

hikerboy57
10-27-2013, 21:55
Just chicken....

fixed it for ya

Wise Old Owl
10-27-2013, 21:55
hmmm dark very dark... Rasty ... clear this up for HB

aficion
10-27-2013, 21:57
Just chickin....

Don't expect accolades from folks who covet merit badges and parade as fowl.

aficion
10-27-2013, 21:58
I swore I saw them in Asheville

Probably from there.

aficion
10-27-2013, 22:01
hmmm dark very dark... Rasty ... clear this up for HB

Darkness smiles on owls, wise or otherwise.

Wise Old Owl
10-27-2013, 22:01
OUCH sir with all accolades you have me at a disservice.. I am a gentleman and a Scout... we are entirely behaving badly as it is after 5 pm .... Please as it is a hundred years later... I will not call a duel. But it is a solution when folks don't behave in a gentleman's behavior...

Rasty
10-27-2013, 22:02

I've been described as a meanie a few times.

Rasty
10-27-2013, 22:02
would somebody tell me what he said

Who?........

Rasty
10-27-2013, 22:06

I would never be mean to hikermom57

Sarcasm the elf
10-27-2013, 22:06
Who?........

Who cooks for you? Who cooks for you?

who's awake? Me too! Who's awake? me too!

Rasty
10-27-2013, 22:07
Who cooks for you? Who cooks for you?

who's awake? Me too! Who's awake? me too!

I have sous chefs that cook for me.

Wise Old Owl
10-27-2013, 22:08
Rasty tell me this isn't true... do you work in a biological lab? a nuclear center? Who coooks for you... oh thats what owls say...

Rasty
10-27-2013, 22:11
Rasty tell me this isn't true... do you work in a biological lab? a nuclear center? Who coooks for you... oh thats what owls say...

I'm actually the CEO of KFC.

Sarcasm the elf
10-27-2013, 22:14
I'm actually the CEO of KFC.

Suddenly it all makes sense!

Sarcasm the elf
10-27-2013, 22:14
I'm making Spaghetti with a venison meat sauce right now, it will be awesome.

78owl
10-27-2013, 22:20
had venison on the grill last night. man was it goooood!

Wise Old Owl
10-27-2013, 22:21
mouse hoes-devours with chocolate

Sarcasm the elf
10-27-2013, 22:26
had venison on the grill last night. man was it goooood!

I'm working on finishing the rest of last year's venison before November 19th. I used a vacuum sealer this year and it's amazing how well it kept, the stuff has been in the freezer for 11 months and tastes practically fresh.

78owl
10-27-2013, 22:26
sounds goooood too

earlyriser26
10-27-2013, 22:34
Dumbest thing? In 1973 me and my hiking partner took a ride from Abol bridge into town sitting on the hood of a car with our packs on.

Last Call
10-27-2013, 23:46
What's dumber - the party that toted the cut firewood & 5 lb fire grate/grill 3.5 miles into the woods, or me for keeping the grill & packing it out this afternoon?

Odd Man Out
10-27-2013, 23:50
It wasn't actually on the trail, but at the visitor's center at the Grand Canyon North Rim, the Park Ranger was having a hard time convincing two Germans that they could not take a day hike (starting late morning, hot August day) to go swimming in the Colorado River.

Mags
10-28-2013, 01:32
Did you at least remember to bring a can opener?

I actually grabbed a full on can opener from home. No measly p38 for thus guy.

;)

i think that was me in '77. well i was in shape at least

Most of us started off making newbie mistakes. Glad I had many weekend backpacking trips, and an LT thru-hike, before I did the AT!

Dogwood
10-28-2013, 02:02

Fast forward a few years and I've now met and hiked with a half dozen of the better characters on the blaze,...

Reminds me, do have those BD Z trekking poles, Zpacks Cuben HexaMid, and century note I lent ya that night we were drinking and got really wasted? Don't remember? I laid them all right next to you where you passed out. Just buy me new ones. We'll call it even. :D

fredmugs
10-28-2013, 08:41
This didn't happen on the AT but on one of my Grand Canyon trips as I was heading down the South Kaibob trail a woman asked me if they had moved the trail.

Pringles
10-28-2013, 11:37
At one campsite, a man who hadn't ever lit his stove before lit his stove... the grass around his stove and his pants. We got all the little fires out, but it was pretty exciting.

On Isle Royale, I watched one of the rangers work to convince a couple that they couldn't get a back country permit, and that they might have problems doing regular backpacking. Their gear was all in beautiful light blue soft-sided luggage (this was before wheelie luggage, too).

hikerboy57
10-28-2013, 11:42
I didn't see it happen myself but I heard one night people left their tent behind because the floors at all frozen to the ground in the morning

Sarcasm the elf
10-28-2013, 12:02
I didn't see it happen myself but I heard one night people left their tent behind because the floors at all frozen to the ground in the morning

Now if they'd only met up with the gal that carried the hair dryer, they could have used it to thaw the tent floor free.

Mags
10-28-2013, 12:02
A very experienced friend of mine forget his sleeping bag before doing a trip to The Winds (Wyoming) Doh!

Rather than bag the trip, he did his 3 nights out true cowboy style. He had a space blanket rather than a wool blanket (and a pack vs a saddle), but would otherwise sleep out by a moderate sized camp fire. About half way through the night, he'd re-stoke fire and throw on more wood.

He does not suggest it, but said it does work. :)

slbirdnerd
10-28-2013, 12:15
Classic AT: I was day hiking on the AT coming south to a trail head in GSMNP. A dad, wife and kids were bopping along heading north in street clothes, flip flops, etc., probably a mile in.

Dad asks me: "Does this trail go in a loop?"

max patch
10-28-2013, 12:25
A very experienced friend of mine forget his sleeping bag before doing a trip to The Winds (Wyoming) Doh!

I also forgot sleeping bags on a weekend trip. Instead of doing a 12 and a 6, we just did an 18 mile dayhike instead. Got to eat ribs that nite instead of hiker food so all good.

bfayer
10-28-2013, 12:30
I am not going to say anything is dumb, but the guy I ran into carrying his car battery came pretty close.

He was about a half mile from the trail head and hiking uphill with full backpacking gear.

He didn't offer to share his reasoning with me and I didn't ask. Something's are better left unsaid.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Rasty
10-28-2013, 12:34
I am not going to say anything is dumb, but the guy I ran into carrying his car battery came pretty close.

He was about a half mile from the trail head and hiking uphill with full backpacking gear.

He didn't offer to share his reasoning with me and I didn't ask. Something's are better left unsaid.

Maybe it was game night and he had a TV inside the pack.

bfayer
10-28-2013, 13:36

I was talking to another hiker and the best idea we could come up with was that maybe he was stashing it in the woods to keep his car from getting stolen and he kept running into other hikers so he kept carrying it further up hill.

The other thought is maybe he was a ham operator and it was going to power his rig up on the ridge that night.

Or it could be he was just a nut job with a microwave in his pack :)

Rasty
10-28-2013, 14:00
I was talking to another hiker and the best idea we could come up with was that maybe he was stashing it in the woods to keep his car from getting stolen and he kept running into other hikers so he kept carrying it further up hill.

The other thought is maybe he was a ham operator and it was going to power his rig up on the ridge that night.

Or it could be he was just a nut job with a microwave in his pack :)

Nut job with an electrocution fetish

aficion
10-28-2013, 14:31
I forgot my hiking shoes. Did 15 mile loop from Corbin Cabin over Old Rag Mountain In SNP...day hike with daughter.....I survived .....the Topsiders did not.

78owl
10-28-2013, 21:18
looking for the hair drier

bfayer
10-28-2013, 21:48
I forgot my hiking shoes. Did 15 mile loop from Corbin Cabin over Old Rag Mountain In SNP...day hike with daughter.....I survived .....the Topsiders did not.

Killing a pair of Topsiders $80, hiking old rag with your daughter, priceless.

Not dumb at all.

aficion
10-28-2013, 21:53
Killing a pair of Topsiders $80, hiking old rag with your daughter, priceless.

Not dumb at all.

Great memory. She was ten. Turning 18 in two weeks and has taken to doing solo overnights recently. So glad she's got the moxie and desire. Proud Dad for sure.

bfayer
10-28-2013, 22:02
Great memory. She was ten. Turning 18 in two weeks and has taken to doing solo overnights recently. So glad she's got the moxie and desire. Proud Dad for sure.

My daughter dragged me up old rag when she came home from college for spring break this year. Its great to see our kids grow up to love the outdoors as much as we do.

Speaking of old rag, I saw a guy up there flying a kite once. Not sure that falls into the dumb category, but it was a strange thing to see.

MuddyWaters
10-28-2013, 22:12

I saw a kid with a sony PSP, a playstation, and a laptop computer.
Granted, it was a ~14 yo kid, and at Philmont scout ranch
But still....
The PSP I could understand.
My guess is he came in on a bus with that stuff, and didnt have anywhere to leave the items, and had to bring them with him.

aficion
10-28-2013, 22:16
My daughter dragged me up old rag when she came home from college for spring break this year. Its great to see our kids grow up to love the outdoors as much as we do.

Speaking of old rag, I saw a guy up there flying a kite once. Not sure that falls into the dumb category, but it was a strange thing to see.

It is great! It must have been a relatively calm day, or a very gnarly kite. A gale is routine up there. Quite a place.

bfayer
10-28-2013, 22:23
It is great! It must have been a relatively calm day, or a very gnarly kite. A gale is routine up there. Quite a place.

It was one of those little delta wing stunt kites. It was pretty cool watching a kite fly lower than where we were standing. But yes the wind was whipping.

Hill Ape
10-29-2013, 03:02
a free standing tent, open the door, 50' of paracord, makes a fine kite. not sure if it was dumb or not, but people do take pictures

dzierzak
10-29-2013, 07:44
I saw a kid with a sony PSP, a playstation, and a laptop computer.
Granted, it was a ~14 yo kid, and at Philmont scout ranch
But still....
The PSP I could understand.
My guess is he came in on a bus with that stuff, and didnt have anywhere to leave the items, and had to bring them with him.

His crew should have had a couple of lockers in base camp. I'd question the thoughts of an advisor who let the kid bring that stuff on the trail.

aficion
10-29-2013, 07:51
a free standing tent, open the door, 50' of paracord, makes a fine kite. not sure if it was dumb or not, but people do take pictures

New way to dry out the tent.

Dogwood
10-29-2013, 08:49
Saw someone doing a AT section hike that had one of these strapped to the top of his pack for baking food while he was on the trail. He also had 3 different bottles of liquor(all at least quart size), 3 different bags of marijuana, bloody steaks(strapped to the outside of his pack), a long handled double sided axe, two wks worth of heavy food(including a can of Crisco, doz eggs, 3 lbs bacon), etc. He was was a mobile short distance Wally World. Strangest thing though - he didn't want to admit that his 80+ lb pack(by his estimates, I think he could have been off by 20 lbs or more) had little to do with his complaints about his aching back, hips, knees, and shoulders.

http://toys.about.com/b/a/Easy-Bake-Oven.jpg (http://toys.about.com/b/2006/03/23/all-about-the-easy-bake-oven.htm)

Dogwood
10-29-2013, 09:43
Saw another on the AT, a gung-ho get er done military type who had joined the Army when he was 17 and knew only one way of doing things - the ARMY WAY(who apparently was more accustomed to being told what to do rather than independently thinking/researching for himself), who was undecided whether to do a long section hike or thru-hike, who genuinely thought AT thru-hikers carried ALL their food AT ONCE for their ENTIRE thru-hike. He had no concept of resupplying. He had a 110 lb pack(by his estimates, I thought he was severely under estimating though) with about 70+ lbs of food(by his estimates). He was willing to hear us out but who's brain was wired to do as told by one group - the ARMY. When other hikers told him he had many opportunities to resupply along the way, no matter how far he ultimately decided to hike, it was clear to several of us he was having difficulty assimilating this new way of thinking. It did take him time to adjust to the more independent thinking. I think he eventually dropped off the trail due to an injury that may have been caused by him attempting to keep pace with faster paced lighter wt kit hikers. Might have been mentally crushing for him in some ways and mentally enlightening as well.

Again, I don't consider any of these people dumb. It's more of being uniformed and to that extent we are ALL uninformed in one way or another. We are ALL ignorant, EVERYONE OF US, in some sense! We are ALL evolving as people and hikers. And, for those who are further along that evolutionary path, IN SOME WAY, to be pointing fingers at others, they should remember that those who they are pointing fingers at at, are in some ways more evolved themselves!

aficion
10-29-2013, 09:52
Saw another on the AT, a gung-ho get er done military type who had joined the Army when he was 17 and knew only one way of doing things - the ARMY WAY(who apparently was more accustomed to being told what to do rather than independently thinking/researching for himself), who was undecided whether to do a long section hike or thru-hike, who genuinely thought AT thru-hikers carried ALL their food AT ONCE for their ENTIRE thru-hike. He had no concept of resupplying. He had a 110 lb pack(by his estimates, I thought he was severely under estimating though) with about 70+ lbs of food(by his estimates). He was willing to hear us out but who's brain was wired to do as told by one group - the ARMY. When other hikers told him he had many opportunities to resupply along the way, no matter how far he ultimately decided to hike, it was clear to several of us he was having difficulty assimilating this new way of thinking. It did take him time to adjust to the more independent thinking. I think he eventually dropped off the trail due to an injury that may have been caused by him attempting to keep pace with faster paced lighter wt kit hikers. Might have been mentally crushing for him in some ways and mentally enlightening as well.

Again, I don't consider any of these people dumb. It's more of being uniformed and to that extent we are ALL uninformed in one way or another. We are ALL ignorant, EVERYONE OF US, in some sense! We are ALL evolving as people and hikers. And, for those who are further along that evolutionary path, IN SOME WAY, to be pointing fingers at others, they should remember that those who they are pointing fingers at at, are in some ways more evolved themselves!

"You tell me that its evolution, well you know...............Don't you know, its gonna be .. all right."

Nutbrown
10-29-2013, 11:23
http://toys.about.com/b/a/Easy-Bake-Oven.jpg (http://toys.about.com/b/2006/03/23/all-about-the-easy-bake-oven.htm)
Hiking with this would be worth the extra weight for the hilarity it would bring!

forrest!
10-29-2013, 13:17
I maintain the section for the GATC that includes Hawk Mt shelter. It has a moldering privy. Periodically I go up and "level the pile" so that it decomposes. I have a trap door that I open to do this. It's not a pleasant volunteer job, but I'm paying it forward so I will have good karma on my thru-hike (SOBO 2014?).

People stuff all kinds of things in the privy that they don't want to carry. I guess it's the equivalent of flushing it, except it's not.

So on one of my trips, I opened the trap door and discovered two full size foam pillows stuffed inside. The pillowcases had absorbed quite a bit of liquid waste!

So I have to wonder, not only at the mindset of someone bringing two full size pillows (with pillowcases), but the gall to stuff them inside the moldering privy. Did they think they would just disappear?

Chif
10-29-2013, 13:34
I maintain the section for the GATC that includes Hawk Mt shelter. It has a moldering privy. Periodically I go up and "level the pile" so that it decomposes. I have a trap door that I open to do this. It's not a pleasant volunteer job, but I'm paying it forward so I will have good karma on my thru-hike (SOBO 2014?).

People stuff all kinds of things in the privy that they don't want to carry. I guess it's the equivalent of flushing it, except it's not.

So on one of my trips, I opened the trap door and discovered two full size foam pillows stuffed inside. The pillowcases had absorbed quite a bit of liquid waste!

So I have to wonder, not only at the mindset of someone bringing two full size pillows (with pillowcases), but the gall to stuff them inside the moldering privy. Did they think they would just disappear?

You sir, are my hero. Thanks for all of your efforts and good luck with your hike. May all of your privies be level.

squeezebox
10-29-2013, 13:36
Think ?? I think not !

HikerMom58
10-29-2013, 13:42
You sir, are my hero. Thanks for all of your efforts and good luck with your hike. May all of your privies be level.

Yes Sir!! forrest, thanks for all your work!! Good luck with your hike next year. When u roll into Daleville VA, you have a friend who will help you out anyway I can.. just let me know!

MuddyWaters
10-29-2013, 18:22

Thank you for the work you do.
Im surprised they didnt just leave them in the shelter, along with the lanterns, clothing, folding chairs, soft-side coolers, books, etc under the "logic" that someone else could use them and would want them.

bfayer
10-30-2013, 09:03
Thank you for the work you do.
Im surprised they didnt just leave them in the shelter, along with the lanterns, clothing, folding chairs, soft-side coolers, books, etc under the "logic" that someone else could use them and would want them.

They may have. Once stuff is left on the trail it takes on a life of its own. The folks that hiked them out may not have been the folks that "flushed" them.

Who knows the story behind the story. What people do continuously amazes me, both on the trail and off.

Dogwood
10-30-2013, 13:45

New way to dry out the tent.

I have a million stories of what I've seen while hiking. I was in Shenandoah NP on the AT(so much funny unusual stuff happens on the AT!) along an escarpment on a very windy rainy day when we saw this hiker/camper wandering around an illegal camping area looking behind trees and in shrubbery for something. There was lots of his gear strewn about the site, but no tent or shelter. I thought it kinda strange especially as it was raining. I went over to the edge of the escarpment to look for raptors soaring on thermals. Then I spotted his shelter, a bright orange free standing(FREE TO BLOW AWAY?) tent, way down below the edge of the steep escarpment suspended 25 ft above the ground in a grove of trees. LOL.

And, along these lines. I stopped for a bathroom break on a steep section of the JMT where the narrow trail was carved into a steep mountainside. Took my pack off, leaned it up against a small tree, and trekked uphill into the woods to take care of business. Came back and my pack was gone. Started wondering if a bear had snatched it. Looked around some and located it...some 200 ft below me snagged high up in some trees. That was a bitch getting that pack back. LOL

Namtrag
10-30-2013, 14:29
So your were one your stories!

squeezebox
10-30-2013, 16:12
Sounds like hooking your chest strap around a small tree might be a good idea

10-30-2013, 16:28
This one is mine but not really. Went to privy at night in a hurry, it was very cold, I had a mini maglite, dog gone that thing fell into the hole light side up vertical shining up so bright. Just before daylight I wake up to some one yelling "hey you oK!!" someone thought someone had fallen into the privy.

aficion
10-30-2013, 18:02
This one is mine but not really. Went to privy at night in a hurry, it was very cold, I had a mini maglite, dog gone that thing fell into the hole light side up vertical shining up so bright. Just before daylight I wake up to some one yelling "hey you oK!!" someone thought someone had fallen into the privy.

You gotta be pullin my leg.

rocketsocks
10-31-2013, 06:30

Now that's, funny!

fins1838
10-31-2013, 07:03
Friggin funny thread (except for the ones where the PC police get involved)

Dogwood
10-31-2013, 11:51
Sounds like hooking your chest strap around a small tree might be a good idea

That's one of the lessons I took from that event as well and I practice when I think necessary. And, that's really how I think about this thread topic. It's about lessons. It's about learning from situations. It's not so much about being "dumb".