PDA

View Full Version : Looking For A Light Tough Folding Blade

MinnesotaRambler
10-27-2013, 20:40
I've been looking for a good lightweight folding knife for the trail. Something that costs no more than $50 and weighs no more than 3 oz. Just wondering what everyone else is carrying for a blade on the trail. I also bring a small pair of scissors for opening food packages.

bigcranky
10-27-2013, 21:19
I've been carrying a Gerber EZ Out for about a gazillion years, but it's sort of big for an everyday carry knife in my world. (Scares people when I take it out to open a box.) So I found the EZ Out Junior (http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-06551-Junior-Serrated-Knife/dp/B00004WA55/) at a local shop and have used it for about a year. It's a good size, weighs about an ounce and a half, and seems well made. (Its larger brother has worked well for me for a long time.) The price is right, too. It's always in my pocket, on the trail and out in the world.

But there are plenty of good knives out there.

Slo-go'en
10-27-2013, 21:33
Too many choices.

I have a Buck 482G with 2.5" blade and plastic handle which weights 2.3 oz. I also have it's little brother, which is a 1" blade I belive. The 1" blade is all you need for most chores. I carry the big one so I can brush trail on occasion.

Anyway the set was about $25. No need to spend a lot of money on a knife. In fact, the chances of me loosing a knife is directly related to how much I paid for it. The more I paid, the greater the chance.

Labojo
10-27-2013, 21:37
I like my spyderco endura. It's 2.3 oz.

4Bears
10-27-2013, 21:40
I would recommend one of the Gerber knives, a huge selection to fit about whatever parameter you desire, well built, good steels, that take and hold an edge. I have several for EDC and rotate them as my mood or need changes.

swjohnsey
10-27-2013, 21:44
Gerber LST about an ounce.

MuddyWaters
10-27-2013, 23:19
Why would you carry scissor and a blade? You dont believe you are capable of slicing open packaging with a knife?

I use a derma safe knive. 0.28 oz. And its MORE than I need. I think i used it exactly once.

The AT isnt wilderness, you dont need a survival knife or a big blade. A tiny razor blade that can cut cord, ducttape, moleskin, and food packaging is all that is needed. The lightest I know of is a #11 exacto blade, 0.03 oz.

Slo-go'en
10-27-2013, 23:55
I use my scissors to trim my beard mostly. And there are things which scissors are better at cutting, so I think its worth the slight weight penalty to carry a pair. I also find a "real" knife to be more useful then a minimualist razor blade. But you sure don't need a giant knife!

chilln
10-28-2013, 00:04
Try this http://www.amazon.com/Balad%C3%A9o-15G-Superlight-Locking-Knife/dp/B005DYPKZ8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1382933117&sr=8-3&keywords=Balad%C3%A9o I love mine. Its perfect for backpacking.:-?

bigcranky
10-28-2013, 08:03
Scissors can be used for a lot of little chores than a knife can't do. Trimming hangnails, dead skin, blister pads, blisters, etc. I carry the Victorinox Classic along with the Gerber.

Grinder
10-28-2013, 08:31
I have a 3 " Gerber pocket knife that has done the trick for three years. 1 1/2 Oz.
My first knife attempt was a 4 1/2 in. Frost Sheath knife. Too big and no belt space and hanging from neck got in the line of sight.
Second attempt was a home made knife from a hacksaw blade. It was always deep in the pack when I needed it.
Pocket knife is big enough and always handy in my pocket.

tiptoe
10-28-2013, 08:42
I have a little Swiss Army knife, and I probably use the scissors as much as the blade. It's not very macho, but it's light (.8 oz) and it works.
http://www.victorinox.com/us/product/Swiss-Army-Knives/Category/Classics/Classic-SD/53001

rusty bumper
10-28-2013, 08:57
What tiptoe said

Tuckahoe
10-28-2013, 09:11
There are two that I use. For everyday carry the knife that lives in my pocket is a Kershaw Leek in either a composite or black model. http://www.kershaw-knives.net/Kershaw-Ken-Onion-Leek-KS1660.htm

The second is a Leatherman Style CS -- http://www.leatherman.com/24.html#start=23. Its small and light, and for my wants and needs it lives as a zipper pull on my pack.

tarditi
10-28-2013, 09:38
Light
Tough
Cheap

(pick 2)

:-)

You really don't need much on the AT - if you want minimalist ultralight - as mentioned, a razor blade is a fine option.

There are some folding cutter-type items that people put in survival kits - basically a small blade that folds into a kydex handle - couple options here, but the one I'm referring to is the "folding utility knife" - http://www.survivalresources.com/Products/Knives.html

If you want a folding pocketknife, titanium is light but not cheap - something with zytel handles is probably fine... Kershaw, Gerber, Victorinox (small models) are all probably fine. I have an older style Gerber L.S.T. and it's very light. My current EDC is a RAT folder, though - I prefer a bigger sized blade.

perdidochas
10-28-2013, 10:18
Gerber Ultralight LST is .6 oz with a 3" blade. It's got a 2 inch blade and costs $14.40 at Amazon. A slightly larger version is the LST, and it has a 2.6 inch blade, and weighs 1.2 oz and it's under $20 at Amazon.

If I were looking for light knives, I'd choose one of them. I have had several LSTs, but tend to lose them for some reason. One feature they do have is a lanyard hole.

grayfox
10-28-2013, 11:31
Blades are 'tough' by definition--what isn't tough is the place where a folding knife folds. All folding knives, no matter the cost, are inherently weak at the hinge and will eventually fail there, perhaps after many years of faithfull service. Still, they are usefull and fit in your pocket and there is no reason not to carry one for convenience. I just wouldn't trust my life to one in a real emergency. That said, you might look at the Leatherman Micra which has scissors and a small blade in the $20 range--no can opener though. A Swiss Army knife with a large and small blade, can opener, bottle opener, and cork screw(usually though you can find them without) in the $25 range would be a good choice as there are two blades so one can be spared everyday use and saved for backup. The classic is my edc and all I've needed really. My favorite has always been the SA Pocket Pal which you can find on their website though not usually in stores anymore. Any Gerber will be good and hold an edge well. I have a Paraframe and it's nice.

I've done a lot of BWCA trips and the knife I would most like to have at my side there is the Mora fixed blade that comes with a fire steel. Light my Fire sells a version of this for around $25--I know it's a fixed blade...just saying...