PDA

View Full Version : breakfast done right

squeezebox
10-27-2013, 21:49
thinking of doing a plastic case for a doz eggs, eggs and bacon with toasted bagels would be very home style the 1st morning out of town. eggs 1.5 lb , bacon 12 0z,
better than oatmeal.
egg case 4 0z.
hard boiled eggs with hot sauce and mustard for supper.

Another Kevin
10-27-2013, 22:47
I haven't tried to carry fresh eggs in years. But I've been known to do real coffee (brewed with a pour-over Melitta into a Nalgene with a Reflectix jacket), muffins (steam baked) and an orange or even a grapefruit. The orange is the only thing that adds pack weight, and I just carry less water until I've eaten it, because I can always eat it if I run short of water.

Dogwood
10-28-2013, 01:51
Breakfast done right?
Dare I say, do it the French way? :D

I can be an instigator at times.

aficion
10-28-2013, 05:11
thinking of doing a plastic case for a doz eggs, eggs and bacon with toasted bagels would be very home style the 1st morning out of town. eggs 1.5 lb , bacon 12 0z,
better than oatmeal.
egg case 4 0z.

Careful now. Going into the woods with fresh eggs at hand could lead to trouble. You'll perhaps possibly pelt perverts perfunctorily.

bigcranky
10-28-2013, 08:01
No reason to have a special egg case. Just the foam egg container from the store is fine if you're careful with it. Put it in a big ziploc and wrap it in your fleece in the top of your pack.

Slo-go'en
10-28-2013, 11:40
I've done the pre-scrambled eggs in the carton thing. You can burn the carton when your done.

Bacon makes too much grease which has to be disposed of. Consider Canadian bacon or ham instead.

When I was a caretaker at Crag Camp in the White Mountains, I'd make people carry out thier bacon grease. Didn't want people dumping the grease outside which might attract critters. I found a whole closet full of glass jelly jars, clean with lids, at the cabin when I moved in in the spring. I don't know who or why they collected all those jars, but they really needed to be carried out. Then I hit on the idea of giving a jar to people cooking bacon in the morning so they could carry out thier grease.

So, when I saw someone cooking bacon in the morning, I'd ask if they had something to carry out the grease in and explain why they needed to do so. Of course they would say they hadn't thought about that. I'd reach into the closet and hand them a jar. They would then thank me and carry the jar and grease home. I got rid of every jar that way over the summer, at least 50 of them!

Foresight
12-23-2013, 20:18
Love bacon. And given a choice I will not be without bacon. Tossing bacon grease is a sin :D

A few eggs scrambled in said grease and, voila!, no disposal issues AND much better tasting eggs.

Starchild
12-23-2013, 21:49
Carried eggs on the AT at times, protected in the carton 'segments' (ripped apart into individual protectors) and stored inside the jetboil pot for protection. IIRC I could get 5 out of 6 inside it, one would be left behind to presumably hatch into a new chicken and resupply the eggs I took.

RedBeerd
12-23-2013, 22:47
Bring a tater, slice it and cook that in the extra grease. Delicious.

BillyGr
12-24-2013, 23:10
OR get the pre cooked bacon - eliminates 95% of the grease issue (still has a little if you want it for the eggs) - and cuts the carrying weight as well.

Wise Old Owl
12-25-2013, 00:05
Add hard boiled eggs. - no case

Traffic Jam
12-25-2013, 09:05
Love bacon. And given a choice I will not be without bacon. Tossing bacon grease is a sin :D

I'm cooking Benton's bacon right now. That smoky aroma is amazing. I'd love to take some on the trail but even precooked might be too odorous. I keep picturing my pack smelling like Benton's bacon and all the critters lined up to get a taste.

Elder
12-25-2013, 22:13
I'm cooking Benton's bacon right now. That smoky aroma is amazing. I'd love to take some on the trail but even precooked might be too odorous. I keep picturing my pack smelling like Benton's bacon and all the other hikers lined up to get a taste.

I fixed it for you.

CalebJ
12-25-2013, 23:01
Assuming you're trying to scramble the eggs, you'd be better off to crack them ahead of time and carry them in a disposable water bottle.

takethisbread
12-28-2013, 07:24
Assuming you're trying to scramble the eggs, you'd be better off to crack them ahead of time and carry them in a disposable water bottle. i have done this and then steamed them in a bottle, or placed them by a fire in a bottle andcook them that way. mix with jerky and tabasco packets.

RED-DOG
12-28-2013, 11:30
better than oatmeal.
egg case 4 0z.
You can find eggs that already come in a plastic case in your grocery store, I have done the Zip-lock omelette out on the trail a few times and the plastic case that the eggs comes in works great, i haven't broken any yet.

Traffic Jam
12-28-2013, 12:50
I fixed it for you.

Ha ha! Gotta watch out for the human critters too.

Foresight
12-28-2013, 22:05
Ha ha! Gotta watch out for the human critters too.

So very true, lol

Bronk
12-29-2013, 11:05
Anybody else tried these? They taste just like what you'd get at a diner and one container makes an enormous amount. http://www.zestuous.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Hungry-Jack.jpg

theinfamousj
12-29-2013, 14:34
http://www.zestuous.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Hungry-Jack.jpg

When I go to the store later today, I am getting some of those. Diner Hash Browns are their own kind of delicious. (#ThisIsWhyImFat)

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Ktaadn
12-30-2013, 11:30
I would change "bacon" to "pre-cooked bacon". It will still give off a little grease when you warm it up that could be used for cooking the eggs, but not so much that you have to worry about disposal. Would save all of that cooking time too.

Hot Flash
12-30-2013, 12:28
I don't see the problem with bacon grease on the trail. Cool it down, spoon it into a squeezy-tube or ziploc, and you've got a great source of flavor and fat to add to your next few meals.

Siarl
02-07-2014, 03:58
I don't see the problem with bacon grease on the trail. Cool it down, spoon it into a squeezy-tube or ziploc, and you've got a great source of flavor and fat to add to your next few meals.

I just posted a new post regarding the grease dilemma. I love to cook the bacon first and then cook the eggs but I hardly ever use all the grease since bacon produces ALOT of grease. I usually just empty the hot grease in a jar. But I didn't know what to do with it on the trail. However, this has answered my question along with the statement from the poster that worked at the cabin and gave away the jars (sorry, I'm not sure how to go back without losing my post). I'll take along a small container. Either a nalgene bottle or a plastic one. Glass may break and wouldn't that be a mess.

aficion
02-07-2014, 04:12
Anybody else tried these? They taste just like what you'd get at a diner and one container makes an enormous amount. http://www.zestuous.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Hungry-Jack.jpg

The cheesy ones are great and would be the perfect use for some leftover bacon grease.

Chris10
02-07-2014, 10:36
How long will eggs last un-refrigerated? I'm sure the temperature has a play in that, but say on an 85 degree day.

squeezebox
02-07-2014, 11:06
Chris ?
Do you mean before the little ones start growing inside ? adds a little crunch to your scrambled eggs.
Seriously, get an appropriate size zipp lock, at the end of the day cool down the extra eggs, during the day at stream stops, cool them down.
If in doubt hard boil them. Great crumbled in Ramen, some sandwiches, or just the way they are.
They last much longer hand boiled than raw. A good bit of salt sprinkled on the shells will keep some of the bacteria away.

Siarl
02-07-2014, 13:36
Chris ?
Do you mean before the little ones start growing inside ? adds a little crunch to your scrambled eggs.

"A balut or balot is a developing duck embryo that is boiled alive and eaten in the shell. It is commonly sold as streetfood in the Philippines. They are common food in countries in Southeast Asia, such as Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam."

I lived in the Philippines for two years while in the USAF and never did try that. Ain't gawna. I hardly eat meat as it is. But it does exist. I've only seen eggs refrigerated in USA stores. I've never been to Europe so I don't know about there but the places I've lived in Central America and Asia have eggs in cartons sitting on the shelf with other dry foods. So I'm not sure how long eggs keep unrefrigerated. But I would eat them as soon as possible.

Dogwood
02-07-2014, 14:13
Sometimes, we equate things "done right" with doing things we are most familiar. Since the OP started by listing wts of all the ingredients in his B'fast "done right" recipe and still failing to account for the wt of the packaging, cookware, leftovers(potential bacon grease), etc he might consider powdered eggs(reconstituting them) and dry REAL Bacon Bits and whatever else he would like to flavor his eggs with. ANY eggs can be flavored in ways to make them taste like anything no matter if you're eating them cooked cracked from the shell or reconstituting. Powdered eggs(which go pretty far as far as carried volume) would be much lighter wt, less potential inconvenience in carrying, less waste, etc.

Although, I can attest how delish fresh pan fried bacon can be it does pose two potential issues 1) it's one of the strongest unnatural odors we can introduce into the woods that attract animals like bears. Pan frying any type of meat is going to be a strong critter enticement! Another strong unnatural odor that strongly attracts wildlife like bears is fish, cooked or uncooked, like sardines, etc. 2) bacon grease - this is NOT something I would want to carry in bear, wolf, coyote, rodent areas(aren't they every where?) nor dumping into the woods, ESPECIALLY AT CAMPING AREAS, because it surely is going to habituate these types of wildlife with humans.

If I wanted eggs and bacon on hikes I would go with the powdered eggs and either REAL Bacon Bits or that pre cooked bacon not fried to a crisp AND BEING EXTREMELY CAREFUL TO CONSUME and CLEAN up everything in a mindful way of how my B'fast "done right" will affect others who come after me.

zelph
02-07-2014, 16:33
I've done the pre-scrambled eggs in the carton thing. You can burn the carton when your done.

!

That's the 1st I heard of that!!! That's great...I love eggs. Got a link to a video? Will the eggs expand upward and over the top of the carton?

Dogwood
02-07-2014, 18:18
LOL. I don't think that's what he meant Zelph. Or did he? Maybe the laugh is on me.

SOBO_Pace
02-07-2014, 19:04
No reason to have a special egg case. Just the foam egg container from the store is fine if you're careful with it. Put it in a big ziploc and wrap it in your fleece in the top of your pack.

+1

I like to Di a liquid bfast. It help you get out of camp early. It uses no fuel, rehydrates you for the morning and tastes great.

2x carnation instant breakfast
2x hot chocolate
2-4x instant coffee
32oz water bottle

zelph
02-07-2014, 19:42
LOL. I don't think that's what he meant Zelph. Or did he? Maybe the laugh is on me.

I'm laughing with you, only a stove nut like me would think of that. Take a look at me boiling water in an a paper container. I'm using an 8 gram fancee feest style stove:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9idxXpyTao#t=105

Now....cooking a container of scrambled eggs like he mentioned takes on a whole new meaning;)

Sierra2015
02-07-2014, 19:43
Wow! I can't believe I'll be the first to mention eggs and bacon in a paper bag!

http://youtu.be/RB8Fz5XvcsM

Tada! All your backwoods culinary woes solved by this noob! I feel accomplished. ^_^

You can place the bacon at the bottom of the bag too. I feel like that's more efficient.

Also, one simple way of telling if an egg is bad is to drop it in a few inches of water, if it sinks it's still good, if it floats DO NOT eat. Bacteria has gotten to it.

atmilkman
02-07-2014, 19:47
These are pretty good. https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBbr1fj32tmVwURAsa5n0srTMRimwCe rHK6g9wQP2pxZknk5oa_QThe process in which they are made is a little different.
I know the OP is talking about fresh which there is no substitute cause I get guaranteed double yolkers for $2.00 for 15 from the trade day and they are the bomb. But these are the best I've tasted as far as substitutes go.
http://www.nutriom.com/#all-natural-egg-crystals

Hikes in Rain
02-07-2014, 22:25
Wow! I can't believe I'll be the first to mention eggs and bacon in a paper bag!

http://youtu.be/RB8Fz5XvcsM

Tada! All your backwoods culinary woes solved by this noob! I feel accomplished. ^_^

You can place the bacon at the bottom of the bag too. I feel like that's more efficient.

Also, one simple way of telling if an egg is bad is to drop it in a few inches of water, if it sinks it's still good, if it floats DO NOT eat. Bacteria has gotten to it.

I've done that a couple of times. It does work, although you have to watch for flareups, which leads to bacon flambe in a rather spectacular display.

ktest
02-08-2014, 11:14
I've only seen eggs refrigerated in USA stores. I've never been to Europe so I don't know about there but the places I've lived in Central America and Asia have eggs in cartons sitting on the shelf with other dry foods.

Eggs have a natural protective coating on them to keep out bacteria while the chick develops. Here in America, we insist on making everything as clean as possible and so wash off the eggs (and therefore the coating) before eggs go to stores. After the coating is removed, they'll only last about 2 days unrefrigerated before they begin to go funky. Cooling at streams will help them last a bit longer, but the bacteria will still have crept into the egg pores by then.

Unwashed eggs, on the other hand, can last 2+ weeks unless the temp is just too high. Buy them locally (I've prearranged this with the help of something like craigslist) and make sure to double check that they have not been washed.

Ladytrekker
02-08-2014, 12:03
Fresh non fertilized eggs can last a week without refrigeration

lemon b
02-10-2014, 07:38
Two things I have learned. Eggs attract polecats and the point about bacon grease has been mentioned. It is way too messy and brings in critters for months. Town is the place for breakfast hook ups.

None yet
02-10-2014, 09:37
In Caribbean temps unrefrigerated eggs last three weeks. They should be turned occasionally and unlike a boat, if they sink they are good.

perdidochas
02-10-2014, 15:29
How long will eggs last un-refrigerated? I'm sure the temperature has a play in that, but say on an 85 degree day.
Depends on if the eggs have been refrigerated before. I think you have a month or two if they have not been refrigerated.

Dogwood
02-10-2014, 15:57
Eggs and bacon cooked(somewhat cooked bacon?) in a paper bag on a stick. Shiskabobbed eggs and bacon? Never saw that before. I wonder how many times the paper bag went on fire with his eggs and bacon winding up in the campfire before he perfected his technique? People keep taking about how long the eggs in the shells last. How long does uncooked bacon last on the trail in summer?

theinfamousj
02-10-2014, 16:11
Since bacon is already safe to eat (just not crispy) the way it is sold, I cannot tell you how long it lasts. It tends to make its way into bellies within 48 hours.

Sierra2015
02-10-2014, 16:12
My grandpa was a scout leader. He taught a lot of young men to do that. If a 10-year-old can so too can you :p

From what I understand he plans to eat the bacon that night.

Sierra2015
02-10-2014, 16:14
Since bacon is already safe to eat (just not crispy) the way it is sold, I cannot tell you how long it lasts. It tends to make its way into bellies within 48 hours.

Careful.... I don't think bacon now a days is cured like they used to do.

Gray Bear
03-25-2014, 16:10
I use a nalgene bottle with paper towel layers to transport eggs. a couple of spuds in aluminum foil tossed in the coals of the fire right before you go to bed, chopped with an small oinoin and green pepper, with bacon grease. that will get the furnace fired in the am...don't forget coffee

perdidochas
03-26-2014, 16:07
"A balut or balot is a developing duck embryo that is boiled alive and eaten in the shell. It is commonly sold as streetfood in the Philippines. They are common food in countries in Southeast Asia, such as Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam."

I lived in the Philippines for two years while in the USAF and never did try that. Ain't gawna. I hardly eat meat as it is. But it does exist. I've only seen eggs refrigerated in USA stores. I've never been to Europe so I don't know about there but the places I've lived in Central America and Asia have eggs in cartons sitting on the shelf with other dry foods. So I'm not sure how long eggs keep unrefrigerated. But I would eat them as soon as possible.

From what I've researched about this, if eggs are refrigerated, you should keep them refrigerated. If they ahven't been refrigerated, they can last for weeks.

tsgosnell
03-28-2014, 17:05
From what I've researched about this, if eggs are refrigerated, you should keep them refrigerated. If they ahven't been refrigerated, they can last for weeks.
Correct, we have a few hens, and our fresh eggs last for weeks at room temp, unwashed, but towel cleaned

DeerPath
03-29-2014, 11:15
When I was a Boy Scout we cooked bacon/eggs in a brown paper bag. Still works. Bacon grease keeps bag from burning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUhmhVanP_o

Hikes in Rain
03-29-2014, 12:49
Unless you do as I did the first time and dip it into the fire while my attention wasn't on it. Bacon flambe! :) Otherwise, yes, it works just fine and it's a lot of fun.

sjones503
04-21-2014, 14:50
Even fertilized eggs can last for weeks. A hen will lay a cluster of eggs over time, then when its time she will sit on the to begin the incubuation process and all the chicks will hatch at the same time.