PDA

View Full Version : No Name Chinese Stove

Tuckahoe
10-28-2013, 09:43
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ENDRORM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hey Guys, anyone else pick up one of these or similar stoves? On a whim I picked the one linked above.

It does not have quite the fit or finish of either the Pocket Rocket or the Gigapower. I also find that the Piezo does not consistantly fire the stove.

On the other hand it is pretty sturdy and on a moderate flame brought 2 cups of water to a boil in just under 4 minutes. As far as weight, it is 4 oz (listed weight being 3.9oz), compared to the Pocket Rocket listed at 3oz and the Gigapower at 3.75oz.

The best part of the stove though is that price of $6.

perdidochas
10-28-2013, 10:02
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ENDRORM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hey Guys, anyone else pick up one of these or similar stoves? On a whim I picked the one linked above.

It does not have quite the fit or finish of either the Pocket Rocket or the Gigapower. I also find that the Piezo does not consistantly fire the stove.

On the other hand it is pretty sturdy and on a moderate flame brought 2 cups of water to a boil in just under 4 minutes. As far as weight, it is 4 oz (listed weight being 3.9oz), compared to the Pocket Rocket listed at 3oz and the Gigapower at 3.75oz.

The best part of the stove though is that price of $6.

I've bought three--one for me, one for each of my sons. The price is great, and it boils quick. I'm still a little leary of the reliability of it, but since I only backpack with the Boy Scout troop, I figure that if it breaks, I've got plenty of backup. I didn't realize that it was that much heavier than the other stoves, but since it's replacing an old Coleman 442 dual fuel, I think it's pretty light (and won't leak white gas :-) )

Mags
10-28-2013, 10:33
Decent reviews of it on BPL and Amazon. Consensus seems to be pretty good for the price but may not want to rely on it if was your only stove in the middle of now where.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=76454

Tuckahoe
10-28-2013, 10:44
Decent reviews of it on BPL and Amazon. Consensus seems to be pretty good for the price but may not want to rely on it if was your only stove in the middle of now where.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=76454

Mags, it seems to me though that the reliability issue has little to do with any actual testing and verifiable data, but simply on the fact that the stove is a $6 (or in the case of the BPL reviews, $8) Chinese stove, rather than a $40-$50 Korean Pocket Rocket or Snow Peak.

What do you think the honest reaction to the stove would be if Snow Peak were slapped on it and sold for $40 without changing anything?

perdidochas
10-28-2013, 10:54
Mags, it seems to me though that the reliability issue has little to do with any actual testing and verifiable data, but simply on the fact that the stove is a $6 (or in the case of the BPL reviews, $8) Chinese stove, rather than a $40-$50 Korean Pocket Rocket or Snow Peak.

What do you think the honest reaction to the stove would be if Snow Peak were slapped on it and sold for $40 without changing anything?

My plan is to do testing by using it for minor cooking with the Boy Scouts. Our troop has us do our own Friday night dinners. I'm going to make backpacking style foods for that dinner, so I can work out this stove. I'm also going to use it for my afternoon coffee.

Slo-go'en
10-28-2013, 11:06
I've had the "wings" on my Snow Peak get hot enough to become soft and bend under the weight of a pot of water. Granted, it was a rather large pot of water, but still...

Mags
10-28-2013, 11:53

The Adventures in Stoving Guy is usually pretty spot on.

Having said that, I tend to agree with your assessment. I just would not want to be the guinea pig. :) Sure someone is doing longer term studies. I am just too lazy to google it. ;)

Probably the same design as the Brunton stove from what I can tell.

http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/showtopic.php?tid/31971/ (yep!)

IF it was me, I'd buy the Chinese knock-off, test it extensively over many weekends and see how it goes from there. If I was more of gear wonk, I could be that guy!

tarditi
10-28-2013, 14:36
My buddy and I each got one - they work great. For $6 you can get a few as spares.

max patch
10-28-2013, 14:42
If you are really interested go to the Amazon page and click on the 1 star reviews. There is a common problem that affects some of them right outta the box.

Rocket Jones
10-28-2013, 20:03
I bought one and when it arrived I had to spend about 10 minutes with a file to make the arms lay flat when unfolded. Works great so far.

Wise Old Owl
10-28-2013, 20:11
Its a Hiking sock stocking stuffer.... thanks for the thread.... I tell you in a couple of months...

The Solemates
10-29-2013, 08:36
my buddy has had one for 2 years and has had no issues

Bronk
12-29-2013, 10:56
I ordered one of these after reading this thread and it just arrived in the mail yesterday. So if you order one, don't expect it to arrive for at least 6 to 8 weeks...they ship from China. But really, for under $7 can you really expect them to ship it halfway around the world any faster? Go into this with the right expectations and you won't be disappointed...Amazon shipping said it would be here by December 11th...on the 20th I emailed the seller and they said they would refund or reship but asked that I wait one more week. I had decided to give them until after the first of the year before asking for a refund because I figured it hit the US postal system right about the time all the Christmas packages were clogging the system. At any rate, I got it yesterday and fired it up...works fine, though I admit I have never used anything but an alcohol stove before so my observations may reflect that. It seemed to heat up a lot faster, but I was nervous about the stability of the pot perched up there...up until now I've used a soda can stove, a cat stove or a fancy feast stove...but in looking at it I don't think the stability is any different than similar stoves, I'm just not used to using this type of stove.

Chubbs4U
12-29-2013, 13:02
Im pretty sure I bought this stove at a premium price. I will take a look but Im pretty sure this is the same stove that I may of paid quite a bit more for.

Feral Bill
12-29-2013, 14:25
For the price of a fast food lunch, it could be useful for trips where you fly in, with no chance to send ones white gas stove ahead.

Odd Man Out
12-29-2013, 16:12
There are a couple of sites on Amazon that ship from CA for $9.

Old Hiker
12-29-2013, 22:51
<sigh> Sorry - have to put my two cents in.

Are you really going to support a Chi-com company that has pirated a legitimate copyright? If the same company came out with a $50 knockoff of a LightHeart Gear tent or a Henry Shires' tarptent, would you buy it?

Chubbs4U
12-29-2013, 23:22
I believe Lightheart is made in China...

Tuckahoe
12-29-2013, 23:44

Are you really going to support a Chi-com company that has pirated a legitimate copyright? If the same company came out with a $50 knockoff of a LightHeart Gear tent or a Henry Shires' tarptent, would you buy it?

<yawn> So, which company's intellectual property was violated? And exactly how many original, new and inventive cannister stove designs have their been in the last 10 years? Other than South Korea and China, where else are cannister stoves made?

Tuckahoe
12-30-2013, 00:00
I believe Lightheart is made in China...

Judy has stated that her tents are all American made now. But the reality is that a large portion of our outdoor gear is made overseas. It does not matter if it is a large company or a garage shop, something is made or likely farmed overseas.

Bronk
12-30-2013, 10:56

I think you probably mean patent, but I too would be interested in which patent you believe was violated.

Bronk
08-26-2014, 11:32
Wanted to give an update on this Chinese stove now that I've finished off the first canister. I boiled some water with it as soon as I got it to test it out...didn't time it but it was pretty fast. The first time I used it on the trail I used it to deep fry so it burned for a very long time...I brought some mozzarella cheese sticks (the string cheese) , cut them into cubes, wrapped them in biscuit dough and then wrapped a half slice of bacon around them and fried them. The next few times I used it I was canoe camping and set the stove on the ground between two logs and balanced a cast iron skillet on them...I did this on about 5 or 6 trips and fried fish at night and then cooked bacon and eggs in the morning. So I've mostly used this for longer cooking projects that burned a lot of fuel.

The igniter on this thing acts like the one on your BBQ grill...it will work, eventually...so I usually just use a lighter. Other than that I've had no problems with it. If all I were doing were boiling water twice a day I'd bet I could get about 3 weeks out of a canister.

I haven't used other canister stoves, so I have nothing to compare it to, but for the price I like what this stove can do and have trusted it enough to take it on 2 day trips.

Has anybody else put more mileage on this stove than I have and have anything else to report?

Busky2
08-27-2014, 09:04
Well I used mine for more than 200 burns over several months without issue and I would buy one again if I need to. I have tested it, backpacked it, kayaked it, bear bagged and droped it from great height and tried to drown it in the rain and the hunk of junk just keeps burning. See I like my coffee in the AM, hot dinner every night and more coffee at the end of the day, so I need a good stove and I like a bargain so Bingo I call it a winner IMHO YMMV Yadda, Yadda.

Sailing_Faith
08-28-2014, 01:49
I like my I giga power, but if I had it to do over again I would spend 1/10 the price on amazon for this one.
Good find.

TNfire
08-28-2014, 05:23
I've had one of these for the last 4 or 5 years, hasn't given me any problems whatsoever, fire right up every time, the output on this thing is ridiculous, you could use it to take off in a hot air balloon haha the only complaint I've ever had about it is the the supports for the pot are a little flimsy, but that's to be expected on something so cheap :p

Starchild
08-28-2014, 06:52
Ordered one, it's a pretty long shipping time, but I guess it's actually a shipment that is coming by ship, can't wait till my little foreign exchange stove gets here, and really needed something other then just the jetboil stove.

Bronk
08-28-2014, 13:02
I've had one of these for the last 4 or 5 years, hasn't given me any problems whatsoever, fire right up every time, the output on this thing is ridiculous, you could use it to take off in a hot air balloon haha the only complaint I've ever had about it is the the supports for the pot are a little flimsy, but that's to be expected on something so cheap :p

That's why I used two logs to balance my cast iron skillet...I've also dug a trench in the sand and set the stove in the hole so the skillet is sitting on the ground with the stove in the hole underneath it...if you don't get it exactly in the middle its going to teter over, and even if you do get it perfectly balanced it is still very top heavy...though this is not as much of an issue if you're just boiling 2 cups of water in a small pot.

atraildreamer
08-28-2014, 17:58
Just bought one for $5.73. What canister does it use?

TNfire
08-28-2014, 18:02
I use MSR Isopro canisters

TNfire
08-28-2014, 18:04
That's why I used two logs to balance my cast iron skillet...I've also dug a trench in the sand and set the stove in the hole so the skillet is sitting on the ground with the stove in the hole underneath it...if you don't get it exactly in the middle its going to teter over, and even if you do get it perfectly balanced it is still very top heavy...though this is not as much of an issue if you're just boiling 2 cups of water in a small pot.

Yeah, i usually just use my dualist pot with it so I mean it's not too terribly bad, I could see some stability issues with a larger pan, such as yours, good thinking digging a hole for it.

Mags
08-28-2014, 18:19

Any Lindal valve-type canister sold in many places. .(in other words, anything other than the green propane canister! :) )

Bronk
08-29-2014, 11:20
Just bought one for $5.73. What canister does it use?\
http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Butane-Propane-Fuel-7-75/dp/B000PY9T0S/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1409325237&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=ISOPRO+CANISTER

They sell these at Walmart, but there are several different brands...if it looks the same size and shape as this, its probably going to fit.

atraildreamer
08-29-2014, 12:22
\
http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Butane-Propane-Fuel-7-75/dp/B000PY9T0S/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1409325237&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=ISOPRO+CANISTER

They sell these at Walmart, but there are several different brands...if it looks the same size and shape as this, its probably going to fit.

$10.19 per canister & $6.17 to ship via Amazon! :eek:

Guess I'll be going to WallyWorld...$15.99 :eek::eek:

Let's try EBay...:eek::eek::eek:

Any other sources for this type of canister?

Tuckahoe
08-29-2014, 12:39
Right... you can just go to the local Walmart and buy it off the shelf for about $4.99 at least that is what I just paid for a cannister.

Rocket Jones
08-29-2014, 14:16
Try Dick's Sporting Goods, REI, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shops, etc... basically any outdoorsy store will have canisters near the stoves. Brands include MSR and SnowPeak. I get the small canisters for about 5 bucks, large run around $7 I think.

atraildreamer
08-30-2014, 13:27
Right... you can just go to the local Walmart and buy it off the shelf for about $4.99 at least that is what I just paid for a cannister.

The WalMart, and other prices, were for online purchases. :mad: Guess I'll be using a "brick & mortar" source!

(May the Great Zelph and all of the other alcohol stove fanatics forgive me for my lapse into using a canister stove!!!) :( :) :banana

Tuckahoe
08-30-2014, 13:42
Because of particular DoT shipping regulations many companies such as REI just won't bother to ship them or as in the case of my search of the Walmart website the fuel canisters are in store purchase only. Those that do ship will charge a higher shipping rate to be able to ship according to the DoT regs which is ground shipping only. I'm at work and can't link to the actual regs. Someone here can.

Either way they are only available in store.

CrumbSnatcher
09-01-2014, 17:33
www.appalachiantrials.com/camping-hiking-gear-made-in-america/
the job you save may be your own

Odd Man Out
09-01-2014, 21:49
www.appalachiantrials.com/camping-hiking-gear-made-in-america/ (http://www.appalachiantrials.com/camping-hiking-gear-made-in-america/)
the job you save may be your own

Unfortunately, none of these companies make gas canister stoves.

July
09-01-2014, 22:19
Have used this little stove couple dozen times with no problems, except, removed the piezo with a pair of pliers as it never worked. Hey, had to give it a try for 6 bucks...

atraildreamer
09-15-2014, 09:44

Stove arrived on 9/13/2014...just 16 days from China. Not bad, considering the distance.

Customs Declaration on the package said the item was valued at $2.91 leaving them $2.82 to ship the stove (by air) and make a profit.

The weight was listed as "0.11 kg', which is 3.88 ounces or 110 grams, including the case. The case measures out as ~ 2 1/16" x 3 1/8' x 1 1/2", (52 mm x 80 mm x 38 mm).

Took some photos to give you an idea of the compactness of the stove. The shot of the closed stove used some quarters to support the unit and give you an idea of the size. There is also a pic of the pzieo-igniter, which works OK.

As soon as I get a canister, I'll try it out and report on how well it works.

Starchild
09-19-2014, 11:58
My foreign exchange stove just arrived, weights in at 3.4 oz or 4.1 with the orange case, boiled 2 cups in 3m40s. Folds up nicely, compact, good temp control, ignition worked right away. MSR Kettle was stable on it. Flame pattern looked great for a compact center flame device.

wormer
09-19-2014, 20:18
My foreign exchange stove just arrived, weights in at 3.4 oz or 4.1 with the orange case, boiled 2 cups in 3m40s. Folds up nicely, compact, good temp control, ignition worked right away. MSR Kettle was stable on it. Flame pattern looked great for a compact center flame device.

Thanks Tuckahoe64 for the post. My stove I purchased works good and at $6 if it's lost or broken I will order them in pairs next time.

dietz31684
09-25-2014, 13:45
I got one of the pocket rocket knock off's in the mail yesterday. Flame control is good, stability is good. I noticed it opens to form a larger diameter pot "platform" vs the pocket rocket. Weight is as claimed, only downside is that it took the full 6 weeks to get here. Below is a link to the one I have. If you look through the reviews there is mention that the arms don't fold down enough to create a level platform. Some mentioned filing to remove a bit of material to get them to swing out enough to be flat. Mine was like this but about 30 seconds with a dremel took care of it and it creates a perfectly level platform. You can see in the pic I linked that they arms don't sit flat. Obviously I can't comment on durability but I give it 4 stars since I had to file to make it perfect. Shipping was a little long too but it was within the time quotes so I can't complain.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Backpacking-Canister-Rocket-Stove/dp/B006GT50EA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1411666943&sr=8-3&keywords=backpack+stove

Bronk
09-25-2014, 20:15
This is a different model than the one I have...looks like the pot stand is spread further and would be more stable than the one I got. Thanks for posting.