PDA

View Full Version : Insulation Layer?

Hikelbum
08-19-2005, 14:53
Here it is 98 outside with a Heat Advisory and I am thinking about how to stay warm on the trail next year.:confused:

What is your choice for an insulating layer starting from Springer in late March. Down jacket like Western Mountaineering's Flight, Synthetic fiber fill jacket like Patagonia Micropuff or 100, 200 or 300 weight fleece?

verber
08-19-2005, 18:37
What is your choice for an insulating layer starting from Springer in late March. Down jacket like Western Mountaineering's Flight, Synthetic fiber fill jacket like Patagonia Micropuff or 100, 200 or 300 weight fleece?
I would def. go with a high loft jacket rather than a fleece. More compressible, warmer for the weight. My personal choice would be the Montbell Thermawrap jacket. The Micro puff and the flight jackets are warmer and have a better warmth / weight ratio... but I find them too warm to use except in the dead of winter.

--mark

Dances with Mice
08-19-2005, 18:50
What is your choice for an insulating layer starting from Springer in late March. Fleece pullover and a down vest. That combo gives me lots of flexibility.

dougmeredith
08-19-2005, 20:58
My personal choice would be the Montbell Thermawrap jacket.
I was ready to order one of these but it was listed as "sold out" on their web site. Now it is completely gone from the site.

Doug

verber
08-20-2005, 01:15
I was ready to order one of these but it was listed as "sold out" on their web site. Now it is completely gone from the site.
Yes, they are out right now. The next shipment is due in around labor day. They will have the updated design for the jacket and will also start carrying the thermawrap pants as well.

--mark

dougmeredith
08-20-2005, 08:39
Yes, they are out right now. The next shipment is due in around labor day. They will have the updated design for the jacket and will also start carrying the thermawrap pants as well.
Thanks for the info Mark. I am planning to replace a cheap 1.3 pound fleece jacket with the Thermawrap. How warm am I likely to find the Thermawrap compared to the fleece?

Doug

peter_pan
08-20-2005, 09:19
Doug,

I did the same swap last winter...dropped 12 oz or so and I find it much warmer than the 200 wgt fleece...bonus is that it is pretty windproof so can leave the wind shirt home, leaving just a 5 oz dri ducks jacket for both rain and trail wind shirt if necessary.

Pan

dougmeredith
08-29-2005, 15:38
The new version of the Thermawrap that verber mentioned is now listed on the MotBell web site:

https://www2.montbell.com/america/asp/products/Spg_shosai.asp?cat=2002&hinban=2301272

It shows as "Available Soon". I'm looking forward to this. I plan to order one.

Doug

tlbj6142
08-29-2005, 16:00
Don't for get AYCE's (www.thru-hiker.com (http://www.thru-hiker.com)) Kennebec and Kinsman Insulated Pullovers. I doubt they are all that difficult to make.

I'm looking at making a Whitney this winter to replace my Montbell UL Down Inner which I think is a bit too thin even 3-season stuff. Below about 50F, I find it a bit too cool to "sit around" in.

Also, the Micro Puff is now onsale for $87? on Patagonia's site.

dougmeredith
08-29-2005, 20:06
Don't for get AYCE's (www.thru-hiker.com (http://www.thru-hiker.com)) Kennebec and Kinsman Insulated Pullovers. I doubt they are all that difficult to make.
Those are quite interesting. Too bad they are only available in kit form.

Doug

Whistler
08-29-2005, 21:46
The new version of the Thermawrap that verber mentioned is now listed on the MotBell web site:

https://www2.montbell.com/america/asp/products/Spg_shosai.asp?cat=2002&hinban=2301272

It shows as "Available Soon". I'm looking forward to this. I plan to order one.
Backcountrygear.com has them listed on their website, and it says they can ship within 3 days.
-Mark

stag3
08-29-2005, 21:48
I the Montbell therma wwrap warm...looks really thin? Any preferences for down vs. synthetic?

peter_pan
08-30-2005, 08:18
I chose the synthetic...it is about 1.8 oz more than the down of same size...

rational....All my sleep systems are down, keeping them dry is easy enough, but then I don't "wear" them often.... decided that insulation that I would wear, and possibly "in a hike to survive situation" should be warmer if sweated moist or worse, wet... it added some safety diversity of insulation types...

Additional note, Some ( Ryan Jordan of BackpackingLight.com) claim that down works better in bags than clothes because the volume of down is sufficient to disperse moisture during normal resting evaporation whereas, smaller down quantities in clothing struggle to handle this issue, and any exercise exaccerbates it.

Pan

tlbj6142
08-30-2005, 09:01
Those are quite interesting. Too bad they are only available in kit form.If you do the math, you'll discover that the kits are about 30-40% less than what it would cost to buy the same item. So, if you buy stuff on sale (or closeout www.sierratradingpost.com (http://www.sierratradingpost.com), www.northernmountain.com (http://www.northernmountain.com)) you can come out ahead a bit. Though you don't get to choose the exact options (no pockets, lighterweight fabrics, etc.) with that approach.

tlbj6142
08-30-2005, 09:05
I chose the synthetic...it is about 1.8 oz more than the down of same size...My only "issue" with synthetics is compression v. loft issue. I prefer a small dense load rather than a bigger one, as such I like to compress the ***** out of my bag and clothing. Down is significantly more tolerant of compression than synthetics. But, if you are willing to give that bit of extra TLC (and space) to your gear, go with synthetic.

Futhermore, my trips are usually short, so the wet weather "concerns" with down garments is not as much of an issue for me.

peter_pan
08-30-2005, 09:48
Agree on the compressability....the jacket compresses to the size of a soft ball...BTW, my three season and winter loads, which include this jacket, use packs with less than 2200 cu in cacapacity...I' ve reached the point where volume is no longer much relevance...these are day pack sizes that easily handle up to 4-5 day trips...

Also , I too prefer down... the rational ( prior post) was based on achieving some insulation diversification....Which seems like a good idea, given the newer synthetic and nylons...and noting the sweat potential of wearing some gear in a potentially life threatening hike out in extreme weather.

Just my .02.

Pan

dougmeredith
08-30-2005, 09:50
rational....All my sleep systems are down, keeping them dry is easy enough, but then I don't "wear" them often.... decided that insulation that I would wear, and possibly "in a hike to survive situation" should be warmer if sweated moist or worse, wet... it added some safety diversity of insulation types...
This is my thinking exactly. I also want to be able to throw the jacket on at a rest stop when I am soaked with sweat without having to worry too much about the moisture. If I wait to dry off first, I will be chilled.

Doug

dougmeredith
08-30-2005, 10:01
Backcountrygear.com has them listed on their website, and it says they can ship within 3 days.
Interesting. I wonder if it is the new design or the old one. It seems unlikely that they would have the new design when MontBell doesn't offer it directly. But you never know.

Doug

Whistler
08-30-2005, 12:21
Interesting. I wonder if it is the new design or the old one. It seems unlikely that they would have the new design when MontBell doesn't offer it directly. But you never know.

DougI'm guessing it's the new models. The photos are of the updated models, and they also have the completely new 'active' versions of each, with more breathable underarm panels, etc.
-Mark