PDA

View Full Version : Magnum Boot OK for hiking?

TheYoungOne
10-28-2013, 17:17
So I'm going to be starting a seasonal part-time job for extra money, and part of the dress code involves wearing boots that are at least 6" high and black in color. Theydon't need to have steel toes or anything. I was looking at magnum boots online, that I guess are made for cops and soldiers. One is called a stealth force 6.0 and the other is an interceptor 6.0. This is only a 3 month gig, and I only get $100 allowance to buy boots, but I get to keep them at the end. Since I will be stuck with them afterwards, anyone one know if I can use them for hiking , and if one is better than the other.

bfayer
10-28-2013, 17:37
I see people hiking in them and other military uniform type boots all the time.

I have never seen a thru hiker hiking in them.

I have worn similar boots on a daily basis for years and years. I do not hike in them.

Take all this for what you think it is worth.

MuddyWaters
10-28-2013, 18:53
Chances are ...No.

But, only you can tell if something will work for you, and the only way is to use it.

Pick any boot or shoe out there, and there will be people it did not work for.

Feet and people and backpacks are too different to make broad statements.

Venchka
10-28-2013, 18:57
However,
They may be perfectly suitable for practice/warm-up/training walking/hiking and save your real hiking footwear for real hiking. Did that make any sense?

Wayne

Hill Ape
10-29-2013, 02:41
for section/weekend hikes, sure. for long distance/thru hikes, not so much

if they have to be service boots, i'd look at something like danner melees, you can find them on sale for alot less than MSRP of $150

daddytwosticks
10-29-2013, 07:21
If you have a good pair of sneakers or trail runners, just use them to hike in. Better than any boot type shoe, IMHO. :)

Jeff Kindy
10-29-2013, 08:21
In the 8 years I served in the army we wore combat boots everywhere we went. 20 mile road marches with a 50 lb ruck a couple times a year. They are tough and when your young your feet can take the beating those boots give your feet. Over the last 6-7 years I have moved to a hiking shoe because of the comfort. Magnums are made for the working individual who needs durable boots on the job. If you like them and are comfortable to you, wear them. We don't all like the same boots or shoes, they fit different people different ways. My choice in a boot would be Danner.