PDA

View Full Version : who else has seen "the way"?

jdc5294
10-28-2013, 17:59
Just wondering who else has seen a movie called The Way, with Martin Sheen. Long story short it's about him hiking the Camino de Santiago, and seeing it after my thru hike really spoke to me and made me start planning a very long hike through Europe that I'll do, someday. Every time I see it it always makes me want to do another thru hike as well. Definitely a must-see for everyone on here in my opinion.

max patch
10-28-2013, 18:08
Good movie, and its currently free to stream for those who have Amazon Prime.

Tractor
10-28-2013, 18:09
We saw it. Loved it! There is a map of the trail on the wall at Green Mountain House by the way. It has me pondering.......

jefals
10-28-2013, 20:00
I agree; iI thought it was a real good movie, and wonderful story. Had never heard of this pilgrimage before the movie. It does look like another grand adventure to possibly add to the old bucket list!

Tractor
10-28-2013, 20:07
I hiked a bit with a young lad in 2011 (can't recall his name but he carried a wiffleball bat and a sombrero) who hiked this trail. It may have been his spark to do the AT? I wish I had a sombrero too on a few of those sunny open days.

mikec
10-28-2013, 20:42
Yes, El Camino Santiago is now on my bucket list.

Namtrag
10-28-2013, 20:58
I enjoyed the Skywalker book about his hike on El Camino Santiago. I think the movie is on Netflix, we just haven't gotten around to watching it.

soumie
10-28-2013, 22:01
My brother-in-law hiked the Camino last March. He had a wonderfull time. Took him about 35 days

lush242000
10-28-2013, 22:02
Good film. I enjoyed it.

Sent from somewhere.

Hill Ape
10-29-2013, 03:00
yes, i have walked the french way about ten years ago. it remains one of the high points of my life. the pilgrims mass is hard to describe. the incensiary (the largest in the world) is rumored to serve the practical function of keeping the smell of the pilgrims down (something hikers can appreciate i'm sure) after my son passed a friend made me watch the movie a few years ago. to say it was a gut punch is an understatement. a beautiful moving film, a bottle of wine and crying the whole time. i will walk the pilgrimage again, but think this time i'll do the northern way

Old Hillwalker
10-29-2013, 05:43
I walked the 500 miles from St. Jean Pied de Port, France to Santiago from September 6 to October 5th this Fall. It was one of the best experiences of my 74 years. I had been told about this walk several years ago, and had watched the movie twice before I went, and am in the process of watching it again. It is primarily a Catholic pilgrimage, but I am not a Catholic but even so I dedicated my walk to my late wife who was taken by Cancer five years ago, and was a Catholic. As a hike/backpack it doesn't compare to the AT, but it is an experience not to be forgotten. There were days when I doubt if I heard more than ten words of English, but lots of French, Spanish, Italian, German, Russian, Polish, Lithuanian, Korean, Chinese, Japanese and so on. It truly is an international adventure, and such caring and loving masses of people I have never met in my life. Looking back these few weeks, the only part of the walk I didn't like was, that in order to assure that you had a bunk for the night you had to get up early and only walk until one or two PM. This limited my mileage to around 30-35 kilometers a day. To make bigger miles I often would quietly get up and leave the Albergues at 5-6 AM and since it didn't get light until a little after 8 AM I would walk in the dark, under the stars, for two to three hours. Walking alone for hours under the Milky Way was a true Compostela which translated means "Field of Stars" Thus El Camino de Santiago Compostela. During my 30 days of hiking I only had about six hours of rain over a two day period, I did carry my gear and had bad feelings about those "slackers" who had their bags transported. But HYOH. I suppose I spent about $2400 USD for the entire trip including air fare from the East Coast. If I could get dog care for two months I would do it again next September for a longer stay.

Mrs Baggins
10-29-2013, 07:38
I've watched it at least 4 times. And I'm no fan of Martin Sheen. But I love the movie, the music, the scenery, the storyline, the characters, all of it. I believe that Sheen and his grandson did walk the Camino sometime before making the movie, but I don't know if they walked all of it. He is of Spanish descent and I think he was in Spain to look into is ancestry. And as it happens a friend, 91 yr old Mike Caetano or "Cimarron" just finished the Camino a week or so ago. He slept thru the swinging of the incense! :) You should be able to find his journal on trailjournals.com

msupple
10-29-2013, 09:37
My wife and I just did the Camino and had an awesome time. Cat in the Hat24642246432464424645246462464724648

Poedog
10-29-2013, 09:56
Very cool! Thanks for the turn on!

Paul the Brit
10-29-2013, 12:21
Love the movie, of course being a AT thru-hiking in planning there is the interest there BUT I thought the story was strong, acting was great and I recommend watching it to all my friends. Just a great movie!