PDA

View Full Version : newbie help what size compression sack?

leftorright
10-29-2013, 11:19
I bought as my summer bag a redwood lightweight sleeping bag because at $20 it was in my price range and worked out to be basically what I needed this summer for car camping, next summer I want to focus more on hiking less on camping but I'm having a hard time fitting all my gear into my pack so what is the correct size compression bag please?

slbirdnerd
10-29-2013, 11:46
It depends on the bag. Take it to your local outfitter and stuff it in a bag, see what fits. I think I used a M for my 20 degree synthetic bag. I don't use a compression sack for my 20 degree down bag, I put it in a Sea to Summit dry bag, smooshes in there enough and will stay dry.

Bags4266
10-29-2013, 11:53
Not many people use them cause they are to heavy

Starchild
10-29-2013, 11:54
I agree with the above, bring it in and get it sized there.

A dry bag may work better depending on the degree of compression you need. If it is mild you can place your sleep gear/ware in a dry bag and sit or kneel on it, removing the air, as you seal it up airtight. Even if the dry sack gets a pinhole it will usually work OK during packing time and it can be patched as well if needed. This should also help keep your sleeping gear dry.

tarditi
10-29-2013, 12:48
I've been amazed with how fluffy a sleeping bag I can cram into a stuff sack... I have several compression bags but they do weigh much more than a decent stuff sack - just the additional webbing and buckles etc. grams add up, you know.

Sarcasm the elf
10-29-2013, 13:33
Not many people use them cause they are to heavy

That may very well be true among UL hikers or hikers in dryer trails out west, but based on my own observations, the majority of A.T. Hikers I've met use waterproof compression sacks.

The fact that it's waterproof is why i reallly use it since i don't take any chances with getting my bag wet. The fact that it compresses my bag and makes it easier to pack is an added bonus.

My sea to summit drysack weighs about 4oz, it's a judgement call whether that qualifies as "too heavy" but i think it's well worth the weight, after all a wet sleeping bag can add a lot more than 4oz to your pack.

Sarcasm the elf
10-29-2013, 13:35
Also, as the earlier posts say, bring your bag to a reputable outfitter and they will help to find the right stuffsack. It's cheaper to buy the right on the first time than it is to buy the wrong one twice.

Weather-man
10-29-2013, 18:28
Just a comment... I stopped using compression sacks for my sleeping bag. I use a trash compactor bag and just roll/ fold the top over. It's about as waterproof as it gets. Not swimable but rain won't touch it.

The other reason that this works out nicely is that the bag will slightly decompress to fill the pack once everything is in. Makes for a very nice pack to carry.

kayak karl
10-29-2013, 20:10
Check the compression sacks at jacks r better. Made for quilts very light. If you find you need to compress a lot of stuff to fit it in pack, get a bigger pack. Remember you will have to do this in the rain, cold or snow evvvery morning :)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Rocket Jones
10-30-2013, 08:01
Just a comment... I stopped using compression sacks for my sleeping bag. I use a trash compactor bag and just roll/ fold the top over. It's about as waterproof as it gets. Not swimable but rain won't touch it.

The other reason that this works out nicely is that the bag will slightly decompress to fill the pack once everything is in. Makes for a very nice pack to carry.

+1 on this. My pad and sleep clothes go in there too. I smoosh it all down to get the air out, then twist the top closed. Double the twisted 'tail' and secure with a ponytail band (they're tougher than a rubber band). My clothes (jacket, gloves, etc) go into one of those extra-large ziplocks, which is nice because you can see what you're searching for.