PDA

View Full Version : Best place to shop for new pack?

The Old Boot
10-29-2013, 12:27
My Xmas present to myself is going to be a new pack. Given that I have very limited selection here in Ontario and a road trip at Xmas is part of the deal...

Where is the absolute best place on the eastern seaboard for me to be fitted and choose a new pack?

tarditi
10-29-2013, 13:07
YMMV, but I had a great experience getting my pack (Gregory Baltoro) fitted at my local REI. They helped fit it properly, packed in some weight and girth then I walked around to make sure everything was adjusted correctly. Their return policy (albeit not as generous as it used to be) was PLENTY for me to see if I liked the pack and it if liked me, so to speak.

The Old Boot
10-29-2013, 13:10
Are all REI's stocked the same/ staff equally competent everywhere or is there one that's way better than the rest?

We have the Canadian equivalent - MEC- and I've found it's pretty much useless for packs - they try to sell you what they've got in stock, not what you really need...maybe it's was just this store?

Jeff Kindy
10-29-2013, 14:18
Moosejaw is one of my favorite stores for outdoor gear. Most of the staff work there because of their love for the outdoors, many many of them have hiked the AT or paddled the backwaters or climbed big stuff.

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/home____

peakbagger
10-29-2013, 16:30
It used to be Mt Rogers Outfitters in Damascus Virginia . Not sure lately but they had the latest gear and had real good feedback from would be thru hikers who had started out at Springer and made it to town with pack issues. Arguably the outfitter in Hot Spring (name escapes me) would be another good resource. IMHO Mountain Crossings is just a bit too early on in the trail to see pack failures (but they are still a good resource).

I don't really think there are such good resources for southbounders.

Do note Mt rogers is a big fan of ULA gear so the alternative is give ULA gear a call, most likely you will get the owner and he can probably fit you over the phone. I am not aware of anyone who feels ripped off by a ULA pack although occasionally they by the wrong pack due to miss- estimating volume

Coffee
10-29-2013, 16:40
ULA has a number of distributors: http://www.ula-equipment.com/Retailers_s/1833.htm But none near Ontario. I currently use a Circuit and had a Catalyst before switching to the Circuit. ULA is easy to deal with and accepts returns of packs in new condition. When I decided to go with the Circuit, I ordered both a medium and large torso length so I could try each out. I sent pictures to Chris and he provided guidance on which pack was a better fit. I ended up sending the Medium back and keeping the large. Also, I ended up needing the small hipbelt rather than the mediums that I ordered for both packs. Chris sent me a small without charging for shipping so I could try it on. Couldn't ask for better customer service. Of course the only downside to ordering multiple packs and then returning one is that I had to pay some extra shipping costs but that was worth it to me to get a good fit.

johnnybgood
10-29-2013, 16:46
It used to be Mt Rogers Outfitters in Damascus Georgia. Not sure lately but they had the latest gear and had real good feedback from would be thru hikers who had started out at Springer and made it to town with pack issues. Arguably the outfitter in Hot Spring (name escapes me) would be another good resource. IMHO Mountain Crossings is just a bit too early on in the trail to see pack failures (but they are still a good resource).

I believe you mean Damascus, Va. I still think they're among the best out there as far as a walk in outfitter store goes.

peakbagger
10-29-2013, 17:40
Yup Virginia , I have corrected the post

bigcranky
10-29-2013, 18:15
I'd go to Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap in Georgia. Easy flight to Atlanta, two hour drive to the mountains, stay in Dahlonega, do some hiking in the area. Day hikes to Blood Mountain, or overnight or weekend hikes -- plenty to choose.

Oh, and I'd get a Circuit, but that's just me :)

MuddyWaters
10-29-2013, 18:24
1. Know your torso length
2. Learn what constitutes a good fit, and how to adjust a pack to your body. Yes you may have to bend aluminum stays
3. Shop on the internet. Ask others about sizing on potentail packs.

It wont take very long for you to know more than most store personnel.

I agree that some outfitters on the trail are probably pretty good at what they do. And MX would be a great place if that is the kind of trip you want to take. Personally, I think turning a $250 pack into a $1000 pack by traveling 1500 miles for it is a bit overkill.

hikerboy57
10-29-2013, 19:30
see if there are any retailer/outfitters up there that carry ula packs.very few do.if they do, they'll know how to fit you properly.they'll probably also stock the better makes like osprey, granite gear.
the guys at mt rogers outfitters in damascus are top notch

The Old Boot
10-29-2013, 22:26
1. Know your torso length
2. Learn what constitutes a good fit, and how to adjust a pack to your body. Yes you may have to bend aluminum stays
3. Shop on the internet. Ask others about sizing on potentail packs.

It wont take very long for you to know more than most store personnel.

I agree that some outfitters on the trail are probably pretty good at what they do. And MX would be a great place if that is the kind of trip you want to take. Personally, I think turning a $250 pack into a $1000 pack by traveling 1500 miles for it is a bit overkill.

I'm taking a road trip at Xmas anyways, destination is somewhere a whole lot further south than where I am. If'n I wander a bit off in the direction of an excellent outfitter in search of a pack that I can't get here in Ontario, I think it just adds to the vacation.

'Sides, I'm the type that drives 10 1/2 hours to Michigan to hang with a complete bunch of people I've not yet met for a weekend with a side trip of cross border shopping as added incentive.

Can y'all imagine how far I can wander in 2 1/2 weeks..:rolleyes:

rocketsocks
10-30-2013, 05:09
Here's a place North of Bancroft Ontario (a place I visited about 20+ years ago, Bancroft that is, not the outfitter) on route 60...they carry the pack I use, Osprey Atmos 65 an I love it.

http://www.outdoorsinc.com/collections/gear-camping-hiking-backpacks

says they've been around since '74, I gotta figure they're doin somthin right...But hey, I always look forward to a good road trip my own self :) have a good one.