PDA

View Full Version : rice noodles

squeezebox
10-29-2013, 13:56
Has anyone tried rice noodles instead of ramen? Change of pace, I believe gluten free, made from rice.

Teacher & Snacktime
10-29-2013, 14:10
Rice noodles tend to get mushy quickly.....but I love them anyway.

Venchka
10-29-2013, 14:15
I have been using the Thai Kitchen brand of rice noodles at home under Red Beans. I can cook the noodles much easier than Konriko rice. In fact, the noodles cook themselves: Drop in boiling water. Remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Eat. Fuel saving. Quick. Easy. What's not to like?

Wayne

Hot Flash
10-29-2013, 14:46
Has anyone tried rice noodles instead of ramen? Change of pace, I believe gluten free, made from rice.

Very few people -- something less than 1% of the population --actually need to avoid gluten. If you aren't one of those people who actually has celiac disease, then there is no logical reason to avoid eating things that contain gluten.

That said, rice noodles are delicious, and they cook very quickly. They make great cold noodle dishes (like sesame-chicken salad) as well as hot dishes. The downside to them is that they take up a lot of volume in your pack for the calories they provide.

Dogwood
10-29-2013, 16:53
What they said. Usually Thai Kitchen. Rice noodles come in different shapes/sizes so mushieness is partly dependent on that. ie; thinner varieties(which are the Thai Kitchen type in the small package similar to Ramen) basically are ready to eat after dropping into hot(warmish water) as Venchka said. Avoid over cooking or over soaking. Thai Kitchen spice packets are tastier IMO than the typical crappy Ramen noodle spice packet alternatives found in mainstream grocery stores.

I don't know Hot Flash. I'm reading some nutritionists saying *IT MIGHT BE BETTER even for those who are not Gluten intolerant or having Celiac disease to consider avoiding or cutting down on gluten or perhaps balancing it out in a whole foods vegetable/greens rich diet. But you know how that entire field is fraught with conflicting advice. Personally, I don't have a gluten intolerance or a specifically named Gluten related disease yet when consuming large amts of gluten containing pastas I don't feel at my best. Perhaps, that's because of other correlated factors or causes I'm not yet aware of. Perhaps moderation is the key when it come to gluten FOR SOME. Perhaps, you are spot on, the amt of gluten negativity has tail spun out of control and out of context with reality. I'm simply not so sure where I currently fall on gluten. Seems to be a hot topic though in the nutritional and medical worlds. Makes me wonder why gluten intolerance seems to have grown or that's the perception. Personally, IMO I think there are a lot more factors and info not available about gluten or that I'm not seeing that could possibly be associated with so much gluten negativity.

BTW, Thai Kitchen has the included separate chili oil packets in some flavors that increase the cal/oz ratios a bit. You are right though in that I also desire to increase the cal/oz ratios in the overall meal when I include Rice noodles in the dish when the dish is prepared for eating while hiking. Easily done by mixing the rice noodles with peanut butter, a sprinkle of sesame seeds, fresh chives(green onions, dried chives do), perhaps some dried coconut milk(flakes will do if that's all U have), a bit of whole peanuts or cashews, and a bit of red pepper flakes. Adding some chicken chunks might work for a tastier meal for carnivores although maybe not so much for upping the cals/oz ratio.

Poedog
10-29-2013, 18:42
If you aren't one of those people who actually has celiac disease, then there is no logical reason to avoid eating things that contain gluten.

Evidence is out there showing that gluten plays a major role in a whole plethora of chronic diseases, one of those being Alzheimers. There is much more to it than just having a gluten intolerance.

Hrdlee
10-29-2013, 19:54
Very few people -- something less than 1% of the population --actually need to avoid gluten. If you aren't one of those people who actually has celiac disease, then there is no logical reason to avoid eating things that contain gluten.

Why try to destroy a burgeoning industry? The best thing the gluten free craze has accomplished is allow celiac disease sufferers to buy gluten free in main line grocery stores and made Estrella Beer more available. We are thankful. I see no harm in high margins groceries either

Hot Flash
10-29-2013, 20:13
Evidence is out there showing that gluten plays a major role in a whole plethora of chronic diseases, one of those being Alzheimers. There is much more to it than just having a gluten intolerance.

Reputable scientific citations needed. Good luck finding any.

Hot Flash
10-29-2013, 20:15
Why try to destroy a burgeoning industry? The best thing the gluten free craze has accomplished is allow celiac disease sufferers to buy gluten free in main line grocery stores and made Estrella Beer more available. We are thankful. I see no harm in high margins groceries either

Where did I say to "destroy" the industry? Oh,that's right, I DIDN'T. All I said is that most people whining about their "gluten intolerance" don't really have a gluten intolerance. Yes, the extra items on the shelves are great for people who are truly sufferers of celiac disease, but most of us have no medical reason to buy them.

Poedog
10-29-2013, 20:36

New England Journal of Medicine http://www.sott.net/article/191590-New-England-Journal-of-Medicine-Gluten-Can-Cause-55-Diseases

Poedog
10-29-2013, 20:40
British Medical Journal http://jnnp.bmj.com/content/72/5/560.full

Poedog
10-29-2013, 20:49
Journal of the American Medical Association http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=200903

Dogwood
10-29-2013, 21:02
Good stuff people. Let's play nice. More Estrella beer anyone?

Dogwood
10-29-2013, 21:06
Poedog, thanks for posting those links.:sun

Rasty
10-29-2013, 21:11
I like rice noodles and don't care about gluten.

Teacher - Some rice noodles only need to be dunked in hot water.

max patch
10-29-2013, 21:14
I just bought some cat food. On the front of the bag it brags "no added gluten". I hope the cats appreciate it.

Poedog
10-29-2013, 21:14
I enjoy making a nice pho in the backcountry with rice noodles. I throw in some jerky, cilantro, dried veggies, hot sauce. Throw some peanut butter in there for a little Kung Pao.

Dogwood
10-29-2013, 22:18
I just bought some cat food. On the front of the bag it brags "no added gluten". I hope the cats appreciate it.

You're ****ten me? Serious? Gluten free cat food?

Dogwood
10-29-2013, 22:18
I don't want to veer too far into thread drift but their are challenges(potential problems?) with nutritional science and/or how it's approached. The discipline is hugely complex and with different noted parties adopting different methodologies, coming from widely different back rounds, with MANY authoring books and tapes and diet recommendations aplenty, it evolving as a science(all science is!) resulting in currently valid information being revealed in fragmented ways, and with new discoveries/insights occurring regularly that changes the "bigger picture" leading to greater understandings, things can easily be taken out of quickly changing context or be misinterpreted leading to assumptions that turn out to be incorrect which all lead to even greater complexity. Plus, one has to navigate the marketing and flow of information/intentional miss-information/miss-leadings in this lucrative business sector where trillions are at stake. No wonder why people, even nutritional scientists, get bewildered when attempting to ascertain how nutrition applies directly to themselves. Sometimes, I think the public is lost in a vast maze with the topic of nutrition with lots of dead ends, outlets, etc and the maze keeps morphing into something anew. My well read and respected(by peers/colleagues in his field, as well as me) eldest younger brother has a PHd in Nutrition and another lesser degree in Cardiovascular Technology and has pursued entrepreneurial projects in these fields(for example marketing his own line of a vitamins and supplements) tells me this regularly although one certainly doesn't have to have anyone else tell them how complex and fraught with different nutritional viewpoints nutrition is. Good luck to all when navigating nutritional advice and applying it appropriately to themselves. :confused:

Dogwood
10-29-2013, 22:22
Sounds delish Poedog. It's what I'd expect from someone who's a chef and a Big Surian.:D

Wise Old Owl
10-29-2013, 23:49

Thanks - saw a couple of doctors notes on that... interesting read...

I just made a quick comparison of the nutritional value of Rice, Rice, Noodles, and a potato - there is little or no nutritional value in Rice Noodles... A potato has a vitamin or two.

But if you like it - enjoy.

Wise Old Owl
10-29-2013, 23:58

The FDA regulates the nasty business of what is in dog and cat food as humans eat it too..Although if you found out the real ingredients "road kill" is whats for dinner.

http://www.amazon.com/Food-Pets-Die-For-Shocking/dp/0939165562

http://www.fda.gov/forconsumers/consumerupdates/ucm092802.htm (http://www.amazon.com/Food-Pets-Die-For-Shocking/dp/0939165562)

Tri-Pod Bob
10-30-2013, 08:30
I tried rice spaghetti a cpl of weeks ago. Pretty good stuff. As far as road kill goes, if the critter is a fresh kill, not turned into burger by the vehicle & prepared with proper processing.....it can be very tasty & nutritious! HYOH on this. In the little town I live in, the local PD has me on their call list for deer, moose, bear vs whatever hits 'em.

Hrdlee
10-30-2013, 11:13
Where did I say to "destroy" the industry? Oh,that's right, I DIDN'T. All I said is that most people whining about their "gluten intolerance" don't really have a gluten intolerance. Yes, the extra items on the shelves are great for people who are truly sufferers of celiac disease, but most of us have no medical reason to buy them.

They should have a sense of humor section in the store so you could attack those folks too!

perdidochas
10-30-2013, 11:19
New England Journal of Medicine http://www.sott.net/article/191590-New-England-Journal-of-Medicine-Gluten-Can-Cause-55-Diseases
Nice try, but that's an editorial, not a peer-reviewed article. Please link the article, not that guy's opinion of the article.

perdidochas
10-30-2013, 11:20
Really, all catfood should be gluten free. Cats don't need to be eating wheat.

Dogwood
10-30-2013, 12:23
The FDA regulates the nasty business of what is in dog and cat food as humans eat it too..Although if you found out the real ingredients "road kill" is whats for dinner.

http://www.amazon.com/Food-Pets-Die-For-Shocking/dp/0939165562

(http://www.amazon.com/Food-Pets-Die-For-Shocking/dp/0939165562)http://www.fda.gov/forconsumers/consumerupdates/ucm092802.htm

When I first became aware of Organic pet foods I at first thought this is perhaps taking things too far, an example of spoiled pampered wealthy hoity toity Americans acting this way about their pets. Wow was I wrong. With the crap that manufacturers/food industry get away with putting in human food it is even more so with animals.

Dogwood
10-30-2013, 12:29
Really, all catfood should be gluten free. Cats don't need to be eating wheat.

Never looked at it that way or had it told to me from that simple reasonable perspective. Thank U thank U kindly for getting mees lass ignoorant. Well received excellent pt.

Poedog
10-30-2013, 12:38
Nice try, but that's an editorial, not a peer-reviewed article. Please link the article, not that guy's opinion of the article.That's the Cliffs Notes version for the short attention spans here on WB, but if you need more proof, I'm sure you know how to register on the NEJM website. Plenty of articles there.

Venchka
10-30-2013, 14:10

Remember this? The OP's original post?
For the record, I'm not fond at all of the mystery seasoning that comes with Ramen and therefore don't eat it. In terms of fuel efficient cooking, I can exist for long periods using oatmeal, grits, cream of wheat, rice & rice noodles for the bulking up portion of a meal. All in fast/instant/quick cook versions. Gluten free? Some. Maybe. Do I care? Nope.
For the culinary fad of the month crowd: Oatmeal is gluten free. Processed oats may not be 100% gluten free due to cross contamination. The trace amounts of gluten won't ruin your whole day. Save a bundle by not buying gluten free oats. That would be redundant.
Folks who need gluten free food for medical reasons should ignore me. The rest of you should probably ignore me as well.

Wayne

squeezebox
10-30-2013, 16:24
My original comment was about putting some variety in your diet. The gluten comment was only an aside because of the current craze about it.

Venchka
10-30-2013, 16:30
I knew that. :D Craze being the operative term.
Thank goodness there isn't a beer free craze. :cool:

Wayne

Venchka
10-30-2013, 16:31
ps: Would someone please direct me to the INorganic section in my super market.

Wayne

perdidochas
10-30-2013, 16:43
ps: Would someone please direct me to the INorganic section in my super market.

Wayne

The shelf that has salt and salt substitutes on it.

squeezebox
10-30-2013, 19:29
I knew that. :D Craze being the operative term.
Thank goodness there isn't a beer free craze. :cool:

Wayne[/QUOTE]
Wayne there is a beer free craze. It's called light beer.

Rasty
10-30-2013, 19:41
My original comment was about putting some variety in your diet. The gluten comment was only an aside because of the current craze about it.

I've watched these fads come and go as a chef. Ten years ago everyone was on the Atkins, now 96.35% of Americans have Celiac Disease and I guarantee within 4 years everyone will be cured and move on to the next thing to explain why they are unhealthy and fat.

QiWiz
10-31-2013, 13:17
They cook fast and make a great "lo mein" with additions and a bit of oil and soy sauce.