PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have an opiniion?

Teacher & Snacktime
10-29-2013, 17:37
I'm going to need something warmer than the Kelty Cosmic 20 Down for the winter I suspect. Does anyone have a favorite or a suggestion? I found this one, and the weight/warmth/price ration seems good, but I really have no clue.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12777137&cp=4406646.4413993.4414966.12669396

Kerosene
10-29-2013, 17:40
Everyone will likely have an opinion! It would be helpful to actually post a link to the one you found, however.

Kerosene
10-29-2013, 17:50
Here is a link to sleeping bags sold at Campmor (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/SubCategory___40000000226_200368355?ip_navtype=Adv ancedSearch&catFilter=&searchKeywords=200368355&ip_sortBy=priceDesc&filters=Temperature~10%20Degree%20and%20Below~10%2 0Degree%20and%20Below%20(27)|Insulation~Down~Down% 20(86)&ip_constrain=&pageSize=24&catType=&searchCategory=browsefilter&manNameFilter=&sizeFilter=&ip_state=&priceFilter=&currentPage=0&colorFilter=) with 10F and lower ratings, and a somewhat smaller list from REI (http://www.rei.com/search?cat=4500515&range=jxTemperature+rating+%28F%29&jxInsulation type=Down&jxTemperature rating (F)=-50%5E0&sortby=Price+%28Descending%29&hist=cat%2C4500515%3AAdult+Sleeping+Bags%5EjxInsul ation+type%2CDown%5EjxTemperature+rating+%28F%29%2 C-50%7E0&version=V3), and a pretty good variety from Backcountry (http://www.backcountry.com/-40-to-4-degree-down-sleeping-bags?sort=%2Bprice).

For a significant purchase like this I prefer to go with REI for their 1-year return policy, but they have the most limited selection.

It would help to outline your requirements, such as temperature rating (I'd suggest 0F), down or synthetic (I'd suggest down for true winter conditions for lightness), height, whether you're a cold or warm sleeper, locale, gender perhaps, and even target budget as some of these bags can get pretty pricey. Don't forget to look at the R-value of your sleeping pad also, as a full-length pad (or even layered pads) will play an integral part in keeping you warm enough at low temperatures.

Teacher & Snacktime
10-29-2013, 18:45
Thanks K....didn't see that my link didn't make it. I'm looking for 0 deg down as light as possible and affoedable....less than 300 would be great

I tried REI, Backcountry and even Amazon. Dicks had this

cjlusmc
10-29-2013, 19:12
You will have to decide if you are willing to try a quilt or not, but this one is high quality, good temp rating and less than two pounds.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/high-sierra-sniveller/

MuddyWaters
10-29-2013, 19:25
Light and affordable dont go that well together with 0 degree thrown in.

Have you considered a synthetic topquilt over your bag?

Teacher & Snacktime
10-29-2013, 19:39
I used a light fleece liner as an outer blanket this weekend....indoors around 35*. I was fine once I warmed up, but the conditions I'll be facing in Jan will be much more cold, and not indoors. I have a really hard time holding body heat, so I guess I'm a cold sleeper. I'm open to the idea of a quilt, but would that be in addition to my current bag? I have an REI Flash pad w/ a 2.5 or so R rating, so I'm pretty well protected from below.

I'll check out the topquilt

Astro
10-29-2013, 19:59
Has anyone had tried a Sea To Summit Reactor Sleeping Bag Liner? Did you really feel like you got an extra 15*F from it? Any other thoughts on liners helping to make a current bag you own warmer?

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/24

Sarcasm the elf
10-29-2013, 20:02
Has anyone had tried a ea To Summit Reactor Sleeping Bag Liner? Did you really feel like you got an extra 15*F from it? Any other thoughts on liners helping to make a current bag you own warmer?

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/24

my buddy just picked one up at Mountain Crossing when he was hiking with an old military bag, he really liked it and said it made a real difference, but thought that 15*F claim was a bit of a stretch

Sarcasm the elf
10-29-2013, 20:04
Hey Teacher, just curious, how tall are you?

Malto
10-29-2013, 20:08
I used a light fleece liner as an outer blanket this weekend....indoors around 35*. I was fine once I warmed up, but the conditions I'll be facing in Jan will be much more cold, and not indoors. I have a really hard time holding body heat, so I guess I'm a cold sleeper. I'm open to the idea of a quilt, but would that be in addition to my current bag? I have an REI Flash pad w/ a 2.5 or so R rating, so I'm pretty well protected from below.

I'll check out the topquilt

A 2.5R pad is not sufficient inthe winter. I would be looking at 5+. You can have a zero degree bag and still freeze from below. I personally would get a better pad such as a neoair xtherm and a top quilt. Much more flexibility as you can mix and match for different weather conditions.

Teacher & Snacktime
10-29-2013, 20:09
5'4" and shrinking with age.....my current bag is a petite for under 5'6". I like the size, though more width would be nice. Unfortunately, most of the bags don't come in petite or women's

Teacher & Snacktime
10-29-2013, 20:12
A 2.5R pad is not sufficient inthe winter. I would be looking at 5+. You can have a zero degree bag and still freeze from below. I personally would get a better pad such as a neoair xtherm and a top quilt. Much more flexibility as you can mix and match for different weather conditions.

I think I hear a cash register going kaching.....sigh

Sarcasm the elf
10-29-2013, 20:25

Another question is how many overnights do you plan to do in winter conditions?

If you plan to go out a lot then a real winter pad would be worth it, but if you only plan to go out a couple of times, then you could just bring along a second decent ground pad for extra insulation. I usually just double up my thermarest z-lite with another pad, which is much cheaper than in an inflatable (and the foam pads can't pop and deflate!)

5'4" and shrinking with age.....my current bag is a petite for under 5'6". I like the size, though more width would be nice. Unfortunately, most of the bags don't come in petite or women's

I can see that being a bit tough, when i see a deal in a winter bag, it's usually a men's tall.

I do agree with the earlier comments, whatever bag you buy, get it from REI or a similar reputable retailer that will let you try it in the field and return it if it doesnt work for you.

Teacher & Snacktime
10-29-2013, 22:34
The first and perhaps only time I plan to deliberately go out in winter is the Cafe hike this January in Harriman. I like the idea of doubling my inflatable pad with my foam one....thanks. And FarmerChef showed me how he made his own lightweight quilt, so maybe I'll give that a shot. I can always try this stuff out in the yard before taking a chance on the mountain. If it doesn't work, then I guess plan B will be to buy a warmer bag....or something.

By the way, are you coming to Harriman?

Dogwood
10-29-2013, 22:59
I think I hear a cash register going kaching.....sigh

Not necessarily significantly though! Top quilt DIY kits are available that can save ya some do re mi and instead of shelling out for a Neo Air you can simply add a CCF pad into the sleeping system mix you currently have providing not only cost effective benefits but others as well. A top quilt added to what you already own(higher temp rated sleeping bag) achieving an overall warmer sleep system for winter is a good option for some. It can certainly cut the costs while providing variety and versatility in kit set up options. And, since you are on the short side that may save you some do re mi when buying a quilt or sleeping bag. Many sleeping bag and quilt manufacturers charge a few bucks less for narrower or shorter versions.

Dogwood
10-29-2013, 23:06
As others are saying it may be possible to tweak your current fairer weather sleep system for winter rather than totally ditching what you already own and going with a totally separate winter sleeping system. You always have options! Sometimes that realization is reached by just starting to open up your creative mind. Brainstorm!

Teacher & Snacktime
10-30-2013, 00:16
But what if I do it all wrong? :eek:

rocketsocks
10-30-2013, 04:45
I'm in the same boat as you Teacher, and am waiting for the colder temps of the fall to blow in so I can do some experiments in the back yard.

Sarcasm the elf
10-30-2013, 08:41
By the way, are you coming to Harriman?

I want to go, but i can't commit yet, I will let everyone know once we get closer to January.

HikerMom58
10-30-2013, 08:51
I want to go, but i can't commit yet, I will let everyone know once we get closer to January.

That sounds like a good time! Wish I could go too! :) Don't forget to take lots of pics!

Teach, you'll figure this out with a lil help from ur friends. ;) You're smart like that...

You'll have so much FUN!

Just Bill
10-30-2013, 09:04
Teach-
Saw this in the corner of the link you posted- Kelty makes good enough specialty bags-http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=18943846&locale=en_US&clickid=prod_cs&recid=Product_PageElement_product_rr_5_37

That said- when you are talking one odd trip (specialty gear)- maybe better off spending some bucks on some more useful supplements.
As Malto mentioned-
You pad is probably a bit lite- but rather than dropping dough on a winter model- how about picking up a blue foamy or Zrest- cost $20-$40 to supplement your current pad.
I just got GoLite's new catalogue- lots of new options including this- http://www.golite.com/Womens-Bitterroot-Water-Repellent-Down-Jacket-P47082.aspx
Dropping $200 on a sweet down puffy is a nice and more likely to be used investment.
Zpacks goose hood or similar may even do the job in combo with your pad. http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/gooosehood.shtml
While a bit wasteful- for a single trip- $20 worth of handwarmer packets strategically placed in your pits, inner thighs, socks and even hat will get you through the trip too if this is a one time deal.

If you are thinking of taking the summer quilt plunge- an M50/Apex quilt with a drawstring footbox would slip right over and supplement your current bag for around $100. Materials at Thru-hiker.com

BUT- since you are on the back end of the height bell curve- check out the usual clearance suspects- you can find zero degree youth bags (usually cut for 5'6) that may do the job for cheaper than any of the above items. Short wide mens cold weather bags can also be found for cheap- or in Mags closet.

perdidochas
10-30-2013, 10:18
Have you thought about hot water bottles?

Sarcasm the elf
10-30-2013, 11:03
Hey Teacher, if this is really for a one time trip, call your local REI or East Mountain Sports and ask about gear rentals, you may be able to rent a zero degree bag and winter pad from the for a much lower price than it would cost to buy new gear.

Dogwood
10-30-2013, 11:10
Anyone have an opiniion?
don't think anyone will have an opiniion(what's that?)

Teacher & Snacktime
10-30-2013, 12:31

BUT YOU SHOULD BE COMMITTED !! (as should the rest of us :D)

Teacher & Snacktime
10-30-2013, 12:33
I'm in the same boat as you Teacher, and am waiting for the colder temps of the fall to blow in so I can do some experiments in the back yard.

So where do we try this? Your backyard or mine?

Teacher & Snacktime
10-30-2013, 12:51
Thanks everyone....you've certainly helped me organize my thoughts a bit a look at my options.

1) I already own a pair of CCF pads, so adding them to our inflatables.
2) I can use the fleece liner I have inside my current bag...though it might be a little close.
3) I have hand/foot/body warmers my son brought home from bootcamp, or I could get more from a hiking dept.
4) I can make myself a lightweight quilt or "boot"....I have the means and materials already.
5) I need a down or puffy jacket anyway....sleeping in it is easy enough. I might look into some down pants and booties too.

Ok....so this appears to be no real problem, just a case of figuring out what's really necessary. Thanks everyone for the ideas, and for getting me to focus so I can figure out what will work best for us. I know I can come up with a jury-rig to satisfy almost any need, but sometimes it's better to just buy your way through it. Having help with that decision is the beauty of having WB friends.....that and hot muffins on a cold morning from a homemade penny stove!

Oh, and if all else fails, I'll be sleeping in proximity to a 12yr old furnace...I should survive. ;)

coach lou
10-30-2013, 12:52
I'm going to need something warmer than the Kelty Cosmic 20 Down for the winter I suspect. Does anyone have a favorite or a suggestion? I found this one, and the weight/warmth/price ration seems good, but I really have no clue.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12777137&cp=4406646.4413993.4414966.12669396
I like the green.:)

Teacher & Snacktime
10-30-2013, 13:00
I like the green.:)

Me too! It's a selling point for me!

Another Kevin
10-30-2013, 13:35
There's a fair chance that what we hit in Harriman will be only slightly more severe than what we had last weekend. Temps hovering aorund freezing and sloppy wet snow are par for the course there. The place doesn't get mountain weather; it's all at a pretty low elevation.

Unless the weatherman comes up with something really nasty, I'll plan on my 20 degree bag, layering my Thermarest with a blue foam pad and maybe a piece of Reflectix, wearing fleecies (and my puffy if I must) to bed, and sleeping with my tent buttoned up (I have the Tarptent Notch with the half-solid side panels, so it's warmer than some.) I think my tent might be warmer than the cabin was, at least once the fire was out. I got quite a draft between the door and the cracked window behind my bunk.

This plan may get revised if I happen to score a terrific price on a winter-weight bag between now and then.

Some of the older shelters in Harriman have fireplaces.

If you're "fine once you're warmed up," then one of us will boil you up a hot water bottle so you won't need to get into a cold bag. (That's also a good way to ensure that you have water that isn't frozen in the morning!)

Venchka
10-30-2013, 13:57
As we have said in other similar winter bag discussions, the sleeping bag is the tip of the iceberg (pun intended) when it comes to a winter sleeping system.
What will you be wearing in the bag? Will there be a Nalgene bottle of hot water wrapped in a stuff sack or two inside your bag? Wool on your head, hands & feet? Down booties? All of these things are important. What is between you and the ground has already been addressed: more R-Value is better.

Wayne

Another Kevin
10-30-2013, 14:02
Just happened to notice a women's petite winter bag at the REI outlet: http://www.rei.com/product/864278/big-agnes-helena-15-sleeping-bag-womens-petite-2012-closeout . That one is cheaper than the one you saw at Dick's, and would be overklll for Harriman - meaning that even a cold sleeper like you should be good with it.

Teacher & Snacktime
10-30-2013, 14:05
I think it would behoove me to upgrade some of my items, such as hat, gloves, etc., which can be done at little cost. I have a few "magic" items to help, but I think some wooly mittens are in order.

Of course once I warm up, all this stuff will be strewn across the tent floor and icy in the morning....or stuffed in the boot of the bag!

Teacher & Snacktime
10-30-2013, 14:07
Just happened to notice a women's petite winter bag at the REI outlet: http://www.rei.com/product/864278/big-agnes-helena-15-sleeping-bag-womens-petite-2012-closeout . That one is cheaper than the one you saw at Dick's, and would be overklll for Harriman - meaning that even a cold sleeper like you should be good with it.

I did notice this one, AK, but I'm not a fan of the BA system of having no bottom insulation and requiring you buy their pad to fit into a pocket, increasing their already steep price. It looks really wonderful and toasty though!

hikerboy57
10-30-2013, 14:23

I did notice this one, AK, but I'm not a fan of the BA system of having no bottom insulation and requiring you buy their pad to fit into a pocket, increasing their already steep price. It looks really wonderful and toasty though! most inflatable pads will fit the Big Agnes sleeve okay

Teacher & Snacktime
10-30-2013, 14:29
most inflatable pads will fit the Big Agnes sleeve okay

See HB? I didn't know that! I'm already doing it all wrong!!!!!

rocketsocks
10-30-2013, 14:35
So where do we try this? Your backyard or mine?
Both, I can get wifi out to about 30 feet in the side yard....might even have to sign back up for "Skype"

Teacher & Snacktime
10-30-2013, 14:38
Oh no! Now I have to get one of those stupid snuggy things so I can use my arms out of the sleeping bag to be on the computer? That doesn't sound quite right......

HikerMom58
10-30-2013, 14:47
Both, I can get wifi out to about 30 feet in the side yard....might even have to sign back up for "Skype"

Ahh.... Sweet!! :>)

Teach, you got it made girl. With all these friends helping you out?

I mean, the guys heating up hot water bottles for ya!?! You are LOVED!! :D Snacktime will have a blast too, I'm sure.

You helped out Buddy and fam. & thought of someone else. Then , it all comes right back around to you and Snacktime. Ah- mazin!!

rocketsocks
10-30-2013, 14:48
Oh no! Now I have to get one of those stupid snuggy things so I can use my arms out of the sleeping bag to be on the computer? That doesn't sound quite right......I'm thinking Ipod thrown up on a gear loft....look ma no hands.

rocketsocks
10-30-2013, 14:48
or, I'll just call ya :-?:)

Teacher & Snacktime
10-30-2013, 14:52
No no, HM.....I won't let the guys do stuff for me on the hike (unless they're doing it for themselves). I just want to be a hiker, same as everyone. But I do appreciate the info, so that I can be as successful as possible. (besides, letting others do for me would be a TERRIBLE example for Snacktime).

But yes, I definitely feel the love....and it's pretty wonderful.

Teacher & Snacktime
10-30-2013, 14:55
or, I'll just call ya :-?:)

Calling works....on my old flip phone....if I get a signal!! This way I won't have to bring my 10lb-must-be-plugged-in laptop outside!

hikerboy57
10-30-2013, 14:57
See HB? I didn't know that! I'm already doing it all wrong!!!!!
hey, thats why im here

rocketsocks
10-30-2013, 15:01
Calling works....on my old flip phone....if I get a signal!! This way I won't have to bring my 10lb-must-be-plugged-in laptop outside!
Mine is slowly becoming one of those, can't figure out where the extra weight is coming from though, maybe it's all the Oat meal.

Teacher & Snacktime
10-30-2013, 15:22
hey, thats why im here

to be ambiguous? I suspected as much....:cool:

Another Kevin
10-30-2013, 15:31
No no, HM.....I won't let the guys do stuff for me on the hike (unless they're doing it for themselves). I just want to be a hiker, same as everyone. But I do appreciate the info, so that I can be as successful as possible. (besides, letting others do for me would be a TERRIBLE example for Snacktime).
Be that way! Boil your own hot water bottle! See if we care! :D

But yes, I definitely feel the love....and it's pretty wonderful.
We're building up quite the group here in the Café, hidden behind our extra clicks.

hikerboy57
10-30-2013, 15:38
to be ambiguous? I suspected as much....:cool:
life is a mystery.

then again, its just livin'

Teacher & Snacktime
10-30-2013, 15:40
Be that way! Boil your own hot water bottle! See if we care! :D

Let me rephrase.....I won't ASK the guys to do anything for me. Of course, if you want to VOLUNTEER, then I'd be a fool to not accept (and my momma didn't raise one of those!)

So, AK, if it will make YOU happy, then OF COURSE you can boil the water :D....(and make muffins?)

FEELIN' THE LOVE !!!!

Teacher & Snacktime
10-30-2013, 15:45
life is a mystery.

then again, its just livin'

good livin'....the best livin'

By the by....you guys are hysterical in the Wasili-Yi thread....(it's only balkin', etc)