PDA

View Full Version : Question on cold weather clothes

Sparrow2013
10-29-2013, 19:15
I've read about the importance of having a set of dry clothes and dry bag to sleep in, and I understand about minimal clothing and layering and changing back into wet clothes for the next day. However, what do folks do when their base layer is also wet and it is cold enough that you need it? The risk is transferring that moisture to your down bag. My base is smart wool so it has kept me warm when wet. I guess the question is for an early March start of a NOBO is it smart to carry a dry micro weight base for sleeping. Is it worth the weight penalty for an item which can be sent home in April or May? Not sure I could afford a "second" base layer. Just asking. Thanks.

MuddyWaters
10-29-2013, 19:22
Some people do carry a set of clothing or base layer not used for anything but sleeping.
Anything you hike in is likely to get damp from sweat. Unless you are vigilant about removing it when you warm up.

Some people carry a second set of "town clothes" as well, and use these to put on when hiking is done, instead of their base layer. Then they have something semi-clean to wear to town to be around non-hikers in stores, restaraunts, etc.

It really comes down to what you are willing to carry.

hikerboy57
10-29-2013, 19:26
its difficult to keep a down bag 100% dry no matter how well you protect it, its gonna get damp from time to time, especially after 3 or 4 days of rain.the key is to dry it out completely at every opportunity, and of course, not letting it get wet/soaked. but ive worn my wool long johns in the bag wet and they dried out fine from my body heat while i slept.imho, its good to always have warm dry clothes to sleep in, most of the time worth the extra weight "penalty". its not a penalty if you use it.

Coffee
10-29-2013, 20:23
I use a dedicated sleep layer - Teramar silk underwear. I believe the weight for the top and bottom is around 7 ounces.

moldy
10-29-2013, 20:51
What do you do when your base layer gets wet and you have nothing dry to put on? You put your wet coat, jacket and/or sweater on, then crawl into your bag and you suffer, that's what you do.

aficion
10-29-2013, 21:42
What do you do when your base layer gets wet and you have nothing dry to put on? You put your wet coat, jacket and/or sweater on, then crawl into your bag and you suffer, that's what you do.

A dry base layer for sleeping is worth having in shoulder seasons. However, if you are carrying a warm enough bag, getting into it without clothing is a perfectly good option. Done it many times. Sleeping warm and well goes a long way toward giving you the fortitude to get up, put on the wet stuff and hike it warm.

Des
10-29-2013, 23:02
Not sure I could afford a "second" base layer. If price is an issue you could consider going for a cheaper synthetic baselayer. Where you won't be hiking in it, it shouldn't build up quite the hiker funk.

Dogwood
10-29-2013, 23:33
Is it worth the weight penalty for an item which can be sent home in April or May?

I understand that question

Not sure I could afford a "second" base layer

How are you defining that? As measured by the wt, cost, etc?

Tell me your priorities for you and your kit on this anticipated hike. Tell me how you suspect those priorities might(will!) change along the way? Anticipate.

I'll tell you this: my kit choices are dependent on many factors but I prioritize factors based on season, starting times, hiking style, the hike(trail/no trail), weather patterns, my overall knowledge base(which has to be fairly and correctly judged by oneself), etc. Be careful you don't get into that "stupid light" zone especially at the time your planning on starting NOBO. And, I adjust along the way - in many ways.

How will you adjust accordingly?

BrianLe
10-30-2013, 01:17
My answer to your question is "yes, it's worth the weight penalty", but that weight penalty doesn't have to be terribly high. Perhaps a very light long sleeved shirt and silk long johns, that sort of thing. And indeed, mail them home when it's pretty certain you won't need them anymore; perhaps from Pearisburg.

Sparrow2013
10-30-2013, 04:46
Thanks all. No - I'm far from the "stupid light" range. I was built for comfort and not speed. Full weight with gear, fuel, water and max food for 5 days is about 39 pounds which is 10-15 pounds beyond the ultralighters who post here.

rocketsocks
10-30-2013, 05:38
what do folks do when their base layer is also wet and it is cold enough that you need it?
I eat a handful of nuts and take a nice walk till dry...(usually about 1/2 hour to forty min depending on conditions) not to fast, and not to slow...and I don't drink water cause I don't want to sweat during the process.

Chair-man
10-30-2013, 06:55
I don't take pajamas. I take a 2nd set of covertible hiking pants and button down hiking shirt to sleep in. Then on the day I go into town I just keep the 2nd set on so I don't have to wear the stinkin' clothes I've been hiking in for the last few days.

FarmerChef
10-30-2013, 10:46
Just to make sure I'm talking about what you are here is my shoulder/winter kit:

Upper
Smartwool Lightweight Top
Smartwool Midweight Top
Synthetic T-shirt
Long-sleeved thick fleece top
Lower
Smartwool Midweight Bottoms
Fleece Pants
Sport Shorts
Emergency Poncho

What I consider to be my base layer in that setup is the shorts, t-shirt and lightweight smartwool. Based on the OP's question I'm going to assume it's raining and temps are above 32 (otherwise it would be snow, ice, etc.) In that scenario I would be wearing my shorts, lightweight smartwool top and the t-shirt over it. Then my poncho goes over me and my pack. The challenge is (again to the OP's point) that my arms extend out of the poncho and the smartwool top gets wet. So, at the end of a day of hiking (assuming it's still raining and I can't make a fire), I get to camp and take off my poncho. Now that I'm not moving, I need to get some layers on or I'll chill quickly. So off comes the poncho and on go the midweight and fleece tops and the smartwool and fleece bottoms (under the shorts, of course). My lower half is dry and warm. My upper half has 2 dry layers over one damp layer and will dry out by the time I go to bed. Otherwise, I wear it to dry overnight in my bag.

Now, if we're talking sweat damp, I make sure that I'm never sweating heavily into my base layer. If I notice it starts to happen off it comes. I've been seen walking shirtless with only shorts on in the 40s, especially while climbing. :) Oh and for snow, I just wear my fleece. The snow brushes off without melting. On my legs I wear Tyvek pants. Works like a charm.

Dogwood
10-30-2013, 11:02
Thanks all. No - I'm far from the "stupid light" range. I was built for comfort and not speed. Full weight with gear, fuel, water and max food for 5 days is about 39 pounds which is 10-15 pounds beyond the ultralighters who post here.

First, WELCOMMEN to WB. Comfort and speed DO NOT have to be mutually exclusive hiking goals. I think some may even say you can find a balance that is individually appropriate.

bigcranky
10-30-2013, 11:08
I carry a second set of base layers to wear in camp and in my bag. Generally speaking, I have very light wool base layers -- short and long sleeve tops, and boxer briefs and long john bottoms. I can mix and match as needed.

In deep winter I also have Powerstretch tights and a fleece pullover and often sleep in those as well.

Sparrow2013
10-30-2013, 12:50
Great information / opinions. Gear has been fairly simple to figure out for my hiking needs and enjoyment. Shoulder season clothing has been more difficult to figure out. My experience is in nc tn va mountains in late spring to early fall. I have some test runs in the next few months. Look forward to reading comments on other posts.

Dogwood
10-30-2013, 13:19
Look forward to reading comments on other posts. Do be aware of the quicksand though..... and the pontificating and dripping with ego statements.:D U probably have no idea what I'm referring to. And, that may be a good thing too. :D

Shonryu
11-03-2013, 11:29
I use my base layers for camp clothes and sleeping in only. Shorts and a sleeveless shirt while I'm hiking. If it gets cold ill put on my down jacket and rain pants until I start sweating and then take the jacket and pants off and go back to my shorts and shirt.