PDA

View Full Version : Crampon Purchasing Tips

wormer
10-30-2013, 11:29
I am going to be using crampons on the Maine/NH AT this year and wanted any suggestions on purchasing a pair and tips to get the best use out of them.

Venchka
10-30-2013, 11:34
Verify the crampon-boot interface.

Wayne

Starchild
10-30-2013, 11:42
Get front/forward facing spikes, steal is your only real option here AL is too week for that. Also look at the binding system, they have improved a lot, the older type is often met with a '???' when one tried to mount them on the boots for the first time each season with numb fingers in the snow, the older style, white works is non-intuitive. the newer ones make a lot more sense.

Venchka
10-30-2013, 11:48
Your activity-how you plan to use the crampons-may influence your choice. Walking across an icy slope vs. Clim bing frozen waterfalls may mean different crampons.
This link might help:
http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/crampons-snow-ice-climbing.html

Be safe. Have fun.

Wayne

jefals
10-30-2013, 12:30
I was going to ask about crampons, and if I might need to consider these. I'm thinking as a typical NOBO thru-hiker, so starting at Springer, March/April -- and, assuming I stay committed all the way, then arriving at Katahdin in Sept/Oct. Do most of those folks take crampons along?

Starchild
10-30-2013, 12:37
I was going to ask about crampons, and if I might need to consider these. I'm thinking as a typical NOBO thru-hiker, so starting at Springer, March/April -- and, assuming I stay committed all the way, then arriving at Katahdin in Sept/Oct. Do most of those folks take crampons along?

No not needed, but microspikes can be helpful in the early game (GAME ;) ). Last year and Neals Gap some thru hikers at the suggestion of Mountain Crossing shake down sent home their microspikes, these same Thru's were cursing the staff at Mountain Crossings once they hit the ice in the Smokies.

Another Kevin
10-30-2013, 13:13

If you start at Springer in early March and do a typical through-hike place, you might want to take microspikes in GA/NC, and send them home after the Smokies. Anything more is likely overkill. Most early birds hole up in the towns to wait out any bad storms that come up. You might occasionally wind up postholing through deep snow, but snowshoes are Too Darned Heavy for your scenario.

To the OP:

If you're doing New England mountaineering in the winter, then the earlier posters are right that steel crampons are the only viable option - and if you need full crampons, you need an ice axe. For approaches and ridges, you'll also need snowshoes or skis. Most important, you need the skills to use them. You will not be safe above treeline in the winter without having some mountaineering training. ADK and AMC both offer winter mountaineering classes. Check out the student handbook from http://winterschool.org/studentcenter.html to get an idea of the gear and skills needed.

The student handbook will also discuss the choices of boot to use with the crampons, because no crampons are compatible with all boots. Since I just do winter hiking, not hard-core winter mountaineering, I use steel 12-point crampons with a traditional strap binding (NOT a step-in) over Sorel pac boots. I don't do enough winter work to justify investing in a pair of plastic mountaineering boots, which is what you need for step-in crampons, step-in snowshoe bindings, or telemark skis.

I use a fairly aggressive pair of snowshoes - MSR Lightning Ascent. I have them sized so as to take the weight of me and my pack on powder only if I put the tails on. Normally, the snow here in the East is slushy, crusty, compacted or granular, and the trails are narrow and twisty, so most of the time I find myself hiking without the tails, and doing better on the "undersized" shoe than I'd do with a "correctly" sized one. In the unlikely event that I'm breaking trail on fresh powder, well, I still have the tails. (If you're hiking in the West, ignore this advice!) The aggressive shoe fits my hiking style. I more incline to short peak-bagging trips than long slogs across snowfields, so having good instep and lateral crampons, and heel lifts, is more important than having a lightweight shoe that glides over the snow readily.

If your style is different, your decisions will be different.

The last time I got a pair of winter boots, I brought all my traction gear to the store to make sure all the bindings fit. That earned me some weird looks from the Guy Behind The Counter.

Slo-go'en
10-30-2013, 14:36
Like everyone said, it depends on what you plan on doing.

Unless you plan on doing ice climbing, no need for a 12 point, step in cramp on. I prefer an 8 point crampon - 4 front, 4 back with no points in the middle. A flexable band connects the two. This allows you to walk on mixed snow/ice and rock above tree line, which is the normal condition. 12 points with the extra points in the middle makes it harder to walk on rock. But these kinds of crampons are really designed to be used with ridgid, plastic double boots. Which are highly recommended if you might be up there when it's 20 below and 60 mph gusts! (been there, done that, and still have all my fingers and toes).

Some of the new sneaker insulated winter boots have a heel tab for crampons so you can use the mountineering crampons. I might have to break down and buy a pair as my plastic double boots have been trashed for a long time and actually getting dangerous to use. I don't do enough hard core winter stuff anymore to justify the $300+ for plastic boots.

If your going to do more casual winter hiking, the microspikes work well. Thier easy to put on and take off when needed and stay on. Which can be a problem with some crampons.

Crampons are most useful on popular winter trails like those going up to the RMC Gray Knob cabin which stay packed down and above tree line where the snow is wind packed. On less popular trails or just after a storm, you'll likely need snowshoes instead. Snowshoes don't work well above tree line - too much rock is still exposed in many areas.

jefals
10-30-2013, 15:40
MicroSpikes -- got it. Thx, guys!~

peakbagger
10-30-2013, 16:44
I have lived in the whites for quite awhile and have done the 48 in winter more than few times and am out most weekends. 90% of the time microspikes are the way to go. Many folks buy Kahtoolas and they work well in most conditions as long as folks are willing to recognize when they have gone past their limit. Unfortunately for most hikers they tend to go past the limit going uphill and are in big trouble heading down hill. I personally use Hillsound trail crampons which have more aggressive spikes. Hillsound also had trail crampon pros that are a paired down hiking crampons. For day hiking on trails in the whites they will get 95%, but the downside is they slow down your stride hiking out and its easier to get caught on stuff going down leading to more tripping. If someone is planning to climb ice walls, then go with real crampons with front spikes and plastic boots and most importantly the training and other gear to go with it. IMHO, front spikes with soft boots are a waste as in order to get use out of front spikes you need to be able to lever into the ice with a rigid boot. Rigid boots no matter what brand are going to slow you down and wear you out compared to soft boots. I have pair of Grivel G-10s which work real well for more aggressive stuff up high but they only get used when I am in long sections of wind blown ice and rocks (Washington to Jefferson and back again in early March is an example, but I have done it with regular Hillsounds ).

Another Kevin
10-30-2013, 18:51
IMHO, front spikes with soft boots are a waste as in order to get use out of front spikes you need to be able to lever into the ice with a rigid boot. Rigid boots no matter what brand are going to slow you down and wear you out compared to soft boots. I have pair of Grivel G-10s which work real well for more aggressive stuff up high but they only get used when I am in long sections of wind blown ice and rocks (Washington to Jefferson and back again in early March is an example, but I have done it with regular Hillsounds ).

This.

There are a couple of Class 3/4 routes on blazed hiking trails in New York where I really need front points, often for just a few feet but when you need them, you need them. (People who are better climbers than I am might not need them.) Semi-rigid boots like Army mouse boots or Sorel pac boots work ok with the strap-on crampons like the G-10, the CAMP USA Stalker, or the Black Diamond Contact Strap. They're not for climbing ice walls or waterfalls, but for front pointing across the one slabby pitch in a trail, they're just the thing.

And once again, where you need front points, you also need an ice axe.

wormer
10-30-2013, 20:03
Thanks for the help, especially on the different types of crampons. I had grouped them all into one type that would fit all, now I know better. I didn't realize that hiking down hill the spikes could dig in causing a tripping problem. I have decided to practice out in my yard with my boots and crampons prior to taking them out into the field and having to learn the hard way when I really need to use them.

psyculman
10-31-2013, 06:17
I have used BD Contact crampons, which are strap on design. They require extra straps to keep them on. The first couple of times I used them, one came off, and I was quite a way down the trail before I realized it, and had to go back and find it. Be aware that you may need to tie the ones you buy also. Maybe take some cord with you the first time you use them. Just a thought. Once I got used to having them on, they were great, I wouldn't go up into the icy/snow mid-winter trails without them. Although a little heavy, they give confidence where micro spikes trouble other hikers.