PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen question

Sparrow2013
10-30-2013, 13:06
Seeking advice on windscreen for gsi soloist for canister stove. Could not find any screen bottoms or sides commercially available since the soloist has a larger diameter. I built one using modifying a design I found on WB as my version 1. Uses a very light coat hanger as a spring load to hold in place an aluminum flashing. Protects from most wind, does not overheat the canister, and goes 3/4 around pot. Also is light and nests in cosy with cook kit and stove. It works well but does not have a bottom shield and i need something simpler and easy to set up. Working on version 2.0 this weekend from pie plate and bottom part of oven liner. Any recommended designs or commercially available setup for gsi soloist?

FarmerChef
10-30-2013, 13:26
I don't use a soloist but I use heavy duty aluminum foil. It takes only a second to set up and has multiple uses depending on need and conditions. Might that be workable for you?

DeerPath
10-31-2013, 10:32
Seeking advice on windscreen for gsi soloist for canister stove. Could not find any screen bottoms or sides commercially available since the soloist has a larger diameter. I built one using modifying a design I found on WB as my version 1. Uses a very light coat hanger as a spring load to hold in place an aluminum flashing. Protects from most wind, does not overheat the canister, and goes 3/4 around pot. Also is light and nests in cosy with cook kit and stove. It works well but does not have a bottom shield and i need something simpler and easy to set up. Working on version 2.0 this weekend from pie plate and bottom part of oven liner. Any recommended designs or commercially available setup for gsi soloist?

Here is a wind screen I made http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=2831. I didn't drill holes in the bottom because I formed it around the top of my Evernew pot to be a lid that snaps onto the pot and holds the stove, windscreen and pot lid (upside down) inside. It works very good, and no concern about over heating.
Happy Trails

Turk6177
11-01-2013, 08:18
I have a GSI soloist and I use a cat can alcohol stove. I made a wind screen by taking a large tinfoil aluminum serving tray (rectangle) and cutting a rectangle out of the bottom. The width of the rectangle has to be shorter than the inside of your pot (so you can store it in your pot) and obviously long enough to go around the pot. I put some air holes in the bottom of it with a grommet hole maker. I hold it together with a small binder clip when it is in use. It works great and stores easily with the can't can and bowl right in your pot.