PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent - Rainbow or StratoSpire1?

mak1277
10-30-2013, 15:16
I am in need of a 1-person shelter that lightens my load, and over the last several months I've done a lot of online research. I am fairly certain I've narrowed my options down to the Tarptent Rainbow & StratoSpire1. I wanted to get feedback from owners of each/both tents if I could to see what the better option would be.

I looked at the Notch, but wanted more floor space because I like having some/all of my gear in the tent with me. The Rainbow and StratoSpire are roughly the same weight and price, so I'm really struggling to figure out what the key differences are (beyond what I can read on the spec sheets) and which is the better option.

Thanks.

Sarcasm the elf
10-30-2013, 15:34
I had similar difficulty deciding between Tarptents. Ended up choosing a Double Rainbow because it's only six ounces heavier than the rainbow and has close to double the floorspace. So far I'm very happy with it. Most of my gear goes inside the tent with me, so it's great to have all the extra room. Plus on the occasion that my wife decides to hike with me I dont need a separate two person tent.

jeffmeh
10-30-2013, 16:11
It really depends upon the conditions you are likely to encounter and what is important to you. The StratoSpire is true double-walled, while you can get the panels for the Rainbow to make it partially double-walled. Neither is really a two-person tent except for perhaps emergencies, or if you are intimate with your partner. The Rainbow can be free-standing with poles while the StratoSpire cannot. The StratoSpire will handle snow better.

Not to confuse things, but another option for 3-season hiking for the same weight and priced similarly is the Squall 2, which gives you significantly more room for guests and gear.

They are all great tents.

mak1277
10-30-2013, 20:26
Thanks for the thoughts. I am not in need of a tent for two people. My current tent is more than enough for two, so this is purely a solo tent. I just want a little extra room to spread out some of my gear inside.

Drybones
10-30-2013, 21:05
I looked at the Notch, but wanted more floor space because I like having some/all of my gear in the tent with me. .

I have the DR and Notch, I'm 6'1"+, 180 lbs and have no trouble putting all my gear in the Notch, hang your pack on one of the hiking poles and put what you dont want on the tent floor in the pack. IMO, the Notch is the better choice but of the two you have narrowed it down to I'd go with the StratoSpire, you'll get less rain inside when you go in and out and it should be a lot easier getting into and out of and you have more head room, it's similar to the Notch which I like much more than the Rainbow.

mak1277
10-30-2013, 22:21
?..the Notch which I like much more than the Rainbow.

what specifically do your prefer about the notch?

also at 6'1" are you able to sit all the way up inside the notch?

Second Half
10-30-2013, 22:30
FWIW, I'm 6'3" and am very happy with my Rainbow. Plenty of room inside for my X-long bag and gear. No problem sitting up inside. Sorry but I don't have a comparison with the Stratospire as I've never seen one.

Starchild
10-30-2013, 23:18
FWIW I used a Heximid solo with the solo+ bathtub and was able to get everything inside the tent for my thru and when needed enough protected space to cook inside. Total weight (inc. stakes + cords + sack) = 17 oz. Really a minimalist design though done very right IMHO. In certain conditions it does require some effort and occasional monitoring to make sure that you are fully protected.

My hiking companion Splash used the TT Notch, totally set it and forget it bombproof compared to my set up though at a weight penalty that I found not worth it. Also everything inside the bathtub however she is a very small person I may have used the vestibule if I used her tent to store items.

Drybones
10-31-2013, 09:45
what specifically do your prefer about the notch?

also at 6'1" are you able to sit all the way up inside the notch?

1. Has two doors and I can hang my pack on a hiking pole outside one door so I have access to everything I have while in my sleeping bag, and it's out of the weather and off the ground, really makes it easy to pack up when it's raining outside. I pack everything but the tent and groundcloth while in the tent, the tent then goes in a stretch pocket on the back of my pack...works well for setting up in rain as well, just reverse the process.
2. lightweight and compact.
3. All the room I need but nothing wasted.
4. Can raise or lower to increase/decrease ventilation according to weather.
5. No issues with head room.
6. I set my hiking poles to the mid range of what TT recommends for set up and leave them there so I do not need to re-set them for set up...this works well for me as a hiking setting as well.
7. Good ventilation with fly opened. This was the primary reason I selected this tent initially.

mankind117
10-31-2013, 14:48
I see you are in virginia. I would stay away from the Rainbow. I live in Maryland I had one that I used for a year in all seasons. Just too much condensation here in the east and without a double wall it is hard to avoid. I have a stratospire 1 and the moment DW. Both are wonderful tents and since they are double wall you don't have to worry about wetting your sleeping bag when it touches a wall.

mankind117
10-31-2013, 14:52
I looked at a friends Notch. The floor space was just too small. The moment DW has a wider floor so there is room for your extra clothes and stuff. Likewise with the SS1. I'm also 6'6" and I find both the Moment DW and the SS1 acceptable.

lush242000
10-31-2013, 20:17
I am in need of a 1-person shelter that lightens my load, and over the last several months I've done a lot of online research. I am fairly certain I've narrowed my options down to the Tarptent Rainbow & StratoSpire1. I wanted to get feedback from owners of each/both tents if I could to see what the better option would be.

I looked at the Notch, but wanted more floor space because I like having some/all of my gear in the tent with me. The Rainbow and StratoSpire are roughly the same weight and price, so I'm really struggling to figure out what the key differences are (beyond what I can read on the spec sheets) and which is the better option.

Thanks.

Why are you set on a tent that leaks? You really want to spend all the cash for a shelter that you have to seam seal yourself?

Sent from somewhere.

SipseyFreak
10-31-2013, 20:21
I have a Rainbow ... I like it.

mak1277
10-31-2013, 21:09
I'm also 6'6" and I find both the Moment DW and the SS1 acceptable.

What do you mean by "acceptable"? Can you sit fully upright in the moment? Website says max height is 39". I know I'm at 38" sitting on the floor without a sleeping pad, so I dismissed the moment for that reason. Being able to sit fully upright in my tent is an absolute requirement.

Thanks

mak1277
10-31-2013, 21:16
Why are you set on a tent that leaks? You really want to spend all the cash for a shelter that you have to seam seal yourself?

Sent from somewhere.

What at would you recommend instead? I'm fine spending the extra $25 to have it seam sealed for me. I haven't found many other options that meet all my requirements. I want a fully enclosed shelter, relatively light, stable, low fiddle factor. I've looked at the lightweight BA tents and they don't have the space I want. I don't want an open tarp. I don't want to spend the money on a cuben shelter.

The only other option I've really thought about is six moon designs lunar solo.

Franco
10-31-2013, 22:09
Mak1277
Some people have proportionally longer legs than others and that is why one 6'6" person may fit and another will not.
Sitting up I am 34" high, about .5" less than half my height.
In this shot I have about 13" between my head and the mesh of the SS1 :

mak1277
10-31-2013, 23:12
Thanks. I definitely feel like both the rainbow and ss1 would give me enough headroom...not the moment though.

OCDave
10-31-2013, 23:13
I own a Stratospire 2. It is kind of like a secret that you won't tell but, hope it gets out. Exceptional, cool, modern-art like design. Huge protected space (inside netting plus huge vestibules on both sides. Can be used as bug net alone on clear nights or tarp alone if bugs are not an issue. Sets up in less than 2 minutes. Universally praised by everyone who has passed by my SS2.

Shop all you want but, the coolest kids on the block will have the Statospire.

q-tip
11-01-2013, 08:27
I get me and all my ear in a TT Contrail...just a thought....

jeffmeh
11-01-2013, 08:41

Sent from somewhere.

So by that logic a tent that you can buy without it being seam-sealed is an inferior, leaky tent? Absurd statement.

mak1277
11-01-2013, 08:41
q-tip - thanks a lot...I started this to help me make my decision easier, not harder :-)

Actually there's a lot to like with the contrail...lighter, cheaper. Back to the drawing board!

Drybones
11-01-2013, 11:48

Sent from somewhere.

I doubt they'd leak without seam sealing but if you can tie your shoes you can seam seal a tent.

mankind117
11-01-2013, 13:43
I can't sit up straight in the moment DW, but it is plently long enough and most of the time you are lying down. Honestly the stratospires are the only lighweight double wall 1 or 2 person tents I've been in that I can fully sit up in. Once again though since it is double wall I don't care if I touch the mesh. It is better than my rainbow that I would wake up in every morning with lots of condensation and get it all over me. No tent is perfect. Other than the head room the moment dw comes close for 1 person. The stratospires are great as well.