PDA

View Full Version : Layering without breaking the bank

hikernutcasey
10-30-2013, 16:35
I am hoping to go on a weekend trip at the end of this month and I was trying to see if I could get by without buying a ton of expensive clothes. I have lightweight base layer underwear, a Montbell UL 800 fill down jacket, a light weight fleece 1/4 zip pullover and a Frogg Toggs dry ducks rain jacket in my closet right now. Also have a good beanie, gloves and extra wool socks. Can I make this work if temps get down in the low 20's?

I'm not too worried about sleeping as I have a 25 degree down bag and a silk liner. I'm also not too concerned while I will be hiking. My main worry is while I'm in camp trying to set up, take down, cook, get water etc.

If this isn't enough what one item would you recommend I add?

flemdawg1
10-30-2013, 16:43
You'll be fine.

FooFighter'12
10-30-2013, 16:45
Your list sounds good to me. Maybe add a windbreaker to the mix.

what sort of elevation are you going to be camping in?

hikerboy57
10-30-2013, 16:51
top is fine, a warm base layer for the legs is good for camp. otherwise its hikers midnight these days around 5pm. if you intend to do a lot of cold weather camping, down pants are an excellent investment.($$$$)

Teacher & Snacktime
10-30-2013, 17:02
I have a thin acrylic scarf that is wonderful for keeping body heat in. It's one of those really cheap, really thin type that are supposed to be strictly decorative and worn outside a dress coat. Cut it down in length and just wrap it around on the inside of your collar.....you'll keep your core warm.

hikerboy57
10-30-2013, 17:08
top is fine, a warm base layer for the legs is good for camp. otherwise its hikers midnight these days around 5pm. if you intend to do a lot of cold weather camping, down pants are an excellent investment.($$$$)
fyi, i was fine with ems merino polarguard bottoms underneath marmot scree softshell pants this past march with temps down to the teens

Teacher & Snacktime
10-30-2013, 17:16
fyi, i was fine with ems merino polarguard bottoms underneath marmot scree softshell pants this past march with temps down to the teens

So what you're saying is that my Levi's are out?

hikerboy57
10-30-2013, 17:27
ummm......
yeah.
unless theyre levis softshells

Teacher & Snacktime
10-30-2013, 17:29
Do you remember when we were kids, and moms hung clothes out on the line? In the winter, the bluejeans would come in stiff and frozen!! That's what I imagine it would be like hiking in denim in the winter....no bueno.

russb
10-30-2013, 17:29
Should be ok. Get cheap warm clothes at goodwill, salvation army, etc...

bigcranky
10-30-2013, 18:50
Your list is fine. I'd want some midweight long johns for camp and sleeping -- can be inexpensive synthetics. Maybe some rain pants, too; the Frogg Toggs would be fine if you have them.

da fungo
10-30-2013, 19:20
+1 on goodwill and Salvation Army.

+1 on the neck scarf. I have a silk(?) scarf I got in China that is a winter life-saver.

If you think you'll need another layer, go to Wal Mart's hunting section and get a set of Remington or Rocky brand top and bottoms. About as effective as Under Armor at1/4 the price.

In winter, I like to hike in surplus wool pants.

Smooth & Wasabi
10-30-2013, 21:35
If I were you I would want to add nylon hiking pants and a windbreaker for moving. This way you could get away with a base layer tee and underwear for hiking, save your long underwear for camp, and keep your frog toggs for precipitation or camp. You could spend next to nothing by looking at thrift shops or big box stores. Just make sure you cut out any cotton lining (or if you're warm blooded like me any lining).

winger
10-30-2013, 22:21
You'll be fine in the sleeping bag....you'll be cold, IMO, with what you listed for 'not on the move' clothing. Your core temp will drop dramatically in 20 degree temps with just a base layer, fleece and a down jacket. Take extra clothing if its just a weekend, a little extra weight won't bother you for just a couple of days. Of course you can always wrap up in the sleeping bag, ala quilt mode if need be.

hikernutcasey
10-31-2013, 09:18
You'll be fine in the sleeping bag....you'll be cold, IMO, with what you listed for 'not on the move' clothing. Your core temp will drop dramatically in 20 degree temps with just a base layer, fleece and a down jacket. Take extra clothing if its just a weekend, a little extra weight won't bother you for just a couple of days. Of course you can always wrap up in the sleeping bag, ala quilt mode if need be.

This is my main concern as well. I'm not against spending some money but at the same time can't justify dropping a ton on one or two items that I'm not going to get much use out of. I do have the nylon pants and the bottoms that go with my Frogg Toggs...should have mentioned that.

In your opinion what would I have to add in addition to what I've got to not be cold when 'not on the move'?

Drybones
10-31-2013, 09:28
Looks like you're good-to-go, what about sleeping pad?, normally when I get cold it's not because of the sleeping bag but because I'm cold from the bottom.

hikernutcasey
10-31-2013, 09:37
Looks like you're good-to-go, what about sleeping pad?, normally when I get cold it's not because of the sleeping bag but because I'm cold from the bottom.

Got a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core.

Bronk
10-31-2013, 15:29
Most of my hiking clothing is bought at discount stores during end of season sales for $5 to $10 a piece. I have nylon jogging pants, synthetic tshirt, long sleeve fleece fleece vest and rain jacket. All that plus hat, gloves and wool socks is enough to keep me warm.

Blissful
10-31-2013, 15:41
Sounds good. Being in a tent will keep you warmer also. Good sleeping pad a must.

winger
10-31-2013, 19:45
This is my main concern as well. I'm not against spending some money but at the same time can't justify dropping a ton on one or two items that I'm not going to get much use out of. I do have the nylon pants and the bottoms that go with my Frogg Toggs...should have mentioned that.

In your opinion what would I have to add in addition to what I've got to not be cold when 'not on the move'?

I would recommend wool, in place of fleece. I have fleece pieces that I use during the non critical low temperature months, but if I want warmth then I always bring wool, either as pullovers or even wool pants. Depending on wind conditions, a outer wind shell can also be beneficial. Is your "beanie" made of wool? And yes you can find lots of inexpensive wool garments.

Slosteppin
10-31-2013, 21:07
I used pretty much the same list for an overnight last week. My only additions were a mid weight Merino shirt and rain pants. I don't mind rain while I'm hiking or during the night. I would prefer not to get rained on preparing my food or when taking down the tent.

Gray Blazer
10-31-2013, 21:28

You will die if you wear levis. There's a saying that cotton kills. Unless you are wearing a North Face shirt.

Do not believe anything I just wrote. You will be fine.

Shonryu
11-01-2013, 23:03
My brother and I just got back from a one week section hike where temps were in the high teens to lower 20s. I tend to get cold easy but I found I was really comfortable with a golite sleeveless shirt and my golight running shorts while hiking. <-I know crazy right. I'd freeze when I stopped moving and just kept my Patagonia down shirt at the top of my pack. For camp I just threw on my patagonia capeliene 3s on with my shorts, my rain pants, a fleece, and my down shirt. One night I used my Marmot Mica rainshell and was fine. My brother went with a similar set up as you. Almost exact and had no issues with being cold. I'd just recommend taking at least a mid weight baselayer, some gloves, a balaclava, and a fleece or down hat in addition to what you plan on taking and you'll be fine.

MuddyWaters
11-02-2013, 13:47
Your good for hiking, and thats what counts.

If you are good for sleeping too you have it covered.

If you want to hang around in 25 degree temps and chill in camp, then you might want some insulated pants, booties, etc to be toasty.