PDA

View Full Version : Bears?

RLC_FLA
08-19-2005, 16:15
Back in '89 when my wife and I did our thru hike, we didn't worry about bears, in fact we only saw two the whole trip. One just after SNP and one at Baxter.

As a new user visitor to this website and forums (great job all around!) it seems that all I read about are bears here there and everywhere.

We are getting back into hiking again, bought a place near Dawsonville, and are going to do the Amicolola approach trail to Springer and back at the end of October. We'll be hiking with a friend, novice hiker, and would like to know what thoughts others had on using bear canisters. We'll be overnighting at Springer.

Thanks

RLC_FLA
GAME '89

Peaks
08-19-2005, 16:54
Bear canisters add a couple of pounds to your pack.

Where bears are a problem along the AT, there is usually a bear box, bear cable, bear pole, or other means to store your food.

If you camp away from shelters, then just throw up a bear line.

Ratbert
08-19-2005, 19:17
There are two sets of bear cables at Springer, so no need for a bear canister there.

Late October in the North Georgia mountains should be beautiful!

Moxie00
08-19-2005, 20:36
It may be that bears are hunted in Maine but I have never seen a bear hang around after he or she was aware of a human observing them. A very hungry bear will hang around a food source after a human challanges them but most bears will run once you yell at them or make alot of noise. Don't ever get between a mother bear and her cub, that is trouble. On my thru hike every time I saw a bear I got my camera and headed for the bear. Once they saw or heard me they took off running so I got very few good pictures. I know that in areas where bears have depended on humans feeding them, a good examole is the open garbage dumps we had in Maine up to 30 years ago, bears become quite tame. However they are very shy creatures and if they know you are approaching them they will almost always get out of your way. Hang your food bag in a way to make it hard for the bear to get, bring no food into your tent, and clean up your cooking gear and area and you will have no problem with the eastern black bear.

Dances with Mice
08-19-2005, 21:14
Forget the bears. Worry about the squirrels.

http://www.local6.com/news/4872001/detail.html

Drug Suspect's Pet Squirrel Attacks Officer
Officer: 'The Claws Are Very Sharp'

A police officer in Massachusetts was treated at a hospital after a drug suspect's squirrel attacked him during an attempted arrest....

justusryans
08-20-2005, 14:17
That's as bad as Jimmy Carter being attacked by the bunny!

Footslogger
08-20-2005, 14:21
[QUOTE=Dances with Mice]Forget the bears. Worry about the squirrels.

==================================================
Not sure I'd go as far as saying "forge the bears", especially in the Shennies. But from my experience you do stand a better chance of having your food bag raided by chipmonks or mice than you do bears. That said ...I don't tempt fate. I hang my food every night and generally NOT on the established cables. That (again from my experience) is where the bears tend to congregate because they know it's a target rich environment.

'Slogger