PDA

View Full Version : sending winter stuff home, where / when ?

squeezebox
10-31-2013, 06:44
When & /or where to send winter stuff home ? and pick up when farther north ?

garlic08
10-31-2013, 08:42
Depends on when you start and how fast you hike. So "when" is a better answer than "where." On my thru, everyone told me "Pearisburg." Well, I hiked too fast and got there in early May. After a couple of very cold nights just north of there, I heard better advice--the Trail Days weekend (mid-May), no matter where you are. That would have been Waynesboro for me. On the north end, I can't help you--again, I hiked fast and got done in mid-July so it wasn't needed in my case.

Cro-Mag
10-31-2013, 09:44
Send it home when it starts to get warm. In my opinion, you can't plan for it.

I sent my stuff home in Waynesboro, VA and never picked it up again. I had a few cold nights in Maine, but I just took my Tyvec ground sheet and wrapped myself in it.

Dogwood
10-31-2013, 11:33
You'll figure it out, what's right for you. You DO NOT need to know everything to do a happy safe hike. There is no right or wrong or correct blanket answer. Embrace a certain amount of uncertainty. Don't fight it. Don't fear it. You'll need to figure things out as you go to some degree.

IMHO, this is as close to as a right answer you can get: "Send it home when it starts to get warm. In my opinion, you can't plan for it."

Slo-go'en
10-31-2013, 11:47
"send it home when it starts to get warm" - but make sure it's gonna stay warm! 3-4 really hot summer like days does NOT mean its gonna stay that way - I learned that the hard way... (sent some extra clothes home, only to have it get chilly again and rain nearly everyday for the next month!)

Late May is usually a good bet, for those who start around the 1st of April, that is typically around Pearisburg, VA.

Bronk
10-31-2013, 14:14
At the time I hiked in 2002 the conventional wisdom was don't send home your winter gear until after April 15th and after you pass Roan mountain. So I sent my warm clothing home from Elk Park, NC and then on May 21st woke up to snow just outside of Pearisburg. So there really isn't a good answer to this question. Cold weather can happen anytime anywhere.

peakbagger
10-31-2013, 15:33
Ran into folks who sent stuff home in Damascus and wish they had not the next day on top of Mt Rogers

Blissful
10-31-2013, 15:40
This past season hikers sent there stuff home Memorial Day weekend in Waynesboro and frozein Shenandoah. The weather is unpredictable.

A.T.Lt
11-05-2013, 12:53
Usually mothers day weekend is when the threat of frost has passed...at least in the NY/NJ/CT area...probably around that time

CarlZ993
11-05-2013, 18:40
Usually mothers day weekend is when the threat of frost has passed...at least in the NY/NJ/CT area...probably around that time
I waited a little later than this. It actually snowed on me in VA on Mother's Day on my Thru this year. Didn't stick. But it was cool. I didn't send stuff back until Waynesboro, VA (started AT on 3/21 & finished 8/19 for reference).