PDA

View Full Version : Which sections to do in May June

English Stu
10-31-2013, 06:52
I am undecided how to join up my sections so would like comments. My sections are 100mile wilderness, Harpers Ferry to Boiling Springs, Daleville to Springer.I could do a month around May June next year. Favouring Daleville to HP northbound but it might be easier to get to HP from Washington DC and go south. Think I would need to get real hike fit to go south from Caratunk or North from NYC
Nicer weather/conditions/nature sighting would be good, not to bothered about company.

hikerboy57
10-31-2013, 07:18
north from nyc would work. if you start at bear mtn, you've got a fairly easy stretch till you get to northern connecticut, you'll be in shape long before you hit the whites.south from caratunk is gonna be wet,muddy and buggy.western maine is almost as tough as the whites.
you can get a bus to bear mtn from nyc or you could take metronorth to pawling.

Tuckahoe
10-31-2013, 07:32
Whether you go Daleville to Springer or Daleville to Harpers Ferry, you can take Amtrak from DC to Lynchburg, Virginia. From Lynchburg it would be a 60 mile shuttle to Daleville. Amtrak can get you to Roanoke, but the travel between Lynchburg and Roanoke would be by an Amtrak chartered bus. But Roanoke to Daleville is 16 miles.

English Stu
10-31-2013, 09:08
Sorry Tuckahoe I might have mislead you ,the sections I mention I have completed. Last time I went from DC to I think Roanoke by Greyhound not the best trip. So your route looks better.

Slo-go'en
10-31-2013, 12:00
You want to stay out of New England in May and early June. It's too muddy and buggy. Depending on how wet a spring it is, we really perfer people to stay off the trails that time of year. Plan your New England hike for the fall months. Stay away - far away - in the spring.

The best place to be in May is North Carolina, but you've done that. Northern VA is your best bet, although the weather is quite variable that time of year. It can be either really warm or cold and rainy. If you like it cool, start early in May, if you like it warm, start towards the end of May.

flemdawg1
10-31-2013, 12:07
If you are coming over from the UK, definately HF south.

HikerMom58
10-31-2013, 12:46
If you fly into Roanoke airport, it is 10 miles to the Daleville trail crossing.

The thru hiker bubble will hit Central VA in May/June but it's not too bad.

It can be a lil warm but it's always 10 degrees cooler in the mountains than in town. Slo-go'en gave you excellent info, with the temps, in the South.

If you need a shuttle from the airport to the trail, I can help you out or I can put you in touch with others who can get you to the trail. Not a prob.

Happy Trails!

Cookerhiker
10-31-2013, 20:45
If you fly into Roanoke airport, it is 10 miles to the Daleville trail crossing.

The thru hiker bubble will hit Central VA in May/June but it's not too bad.

It can be a lil warm but it's always 10 degrees cooler in the mountains than in town. Slo-go'en gave you excellent info, with the temps, in the South.

If you need a shuttle from the airport to the trail, I can help you out or I can put you in touch with others who can get you to the trail. Not a prob.

Happy Trails!

+1 to this option. You said you have a month. It's 295 miles from Daleville to Harpers Ferry so you can hike at a leisurely pace. You'll probably have leftover time and in Harpers Ferry, you have a lot of options. You could hike on the flat C&O Canal 60 miles to Washington DC. You could hang around in HF and play on the Potomac (rafts, kayaks, tubes) or rent a bicycle for the C&O canal. You can take AMTRAK or MARC into DC and sightsee.