PDA

View Full Version : Directions to Horn Mtn Picnic Area???

Justwalking
10-31-2013, 14:53
Planning on a hike from either Bulls Gap to Cheaha TH or Bulls Gap to Adams Gap. I thought it would be a good idea to stash water at the picnic area, but have no idea how to get there by car. Would also be open to other water stash suggestions/locations.

I will be coming in from the Sylacauga area.

Thanks in advance.

Dogwood
10-31-2013, 16:06
I recently did this in Jan or Feb, came from Sylacauga got back on the Pinhoti(PT) Northbound(NOBO) and continued my PT NOBO thru-hike. First, let me suggest you print out the PT maps that are available free here: http://pinhotitrailalliance.org/sitemap.html. I printed out Mr Parkay's Free PT maps. U have the option of just printing out the maps of the PT section(s) you want to hike. Not only will you see where the trail goes but on the maps there are notes about water sources. That will be helpful in itself. You also have the option to bring some water from Sylacauga with you to the Bulls Gap(BG) TH. *Watch carefully for this TH. There are normally a number of dryish miles going NOBO from Bulls Gap. I was fortunate to find water less than 1 mile north of BG on the PT. From what others have told me, who know more about typical water availability on the PT, where I found water here is not typical. With a tiny bit of planning water logistics water shouldn't be an issue on the PT. IMO, the PT is overall not a dry trail and water is usually available every 6-8 miles OR LESS. PLAN. But I would say don't over plan with locating water on the PT.

As far as Mt Horn Picnic Area yes it is a nice place to camp and YES I agree with you that you should plan out getting water befor you get there if you decide to camp and cook there. Mr Parkays maps can be used to plan for this. ie; pick up water and haul some to the Mt Horn Picnic Area is an option as opposed to caching water. Those are nice sections of the PT you're considering. I'm a glutton for trail miles, scenery, and easier logistics so I suggest BG to Cheaha SP finishing up with a meal and shower and/or doing laundry at CSP.

Dogwood
10-31-2013, 16:12
You'll get the usual crowd, who again know more than me, chiming in shortly. I have heard some reports of there SOMETIMES being water(probably some swampy water) near the Mt Horn Tower but that should be viewed as hearsay. Sorry I can't be more helpful about being 100% sure of where I got water near the Mt Horn Picnic Area. More parts of the puzzle will shortly be revealed.

Justwalking
10-31-2013, 17:16
Not sure I will camp at Horn Mtn. I see all the time about how dry this section is, and thought it might be a good idea to leave water there as a back up. I would be fine to pump along the way if water is available. I have solo's guide book, and Mr. Parkays maps as well. My plan is to make it to Cheaha state park, but I think I saw where there is a 2 day min on rooms. I could be wrong on that though.

Dogwood
10-31-2013, 17:46
CSP has rooms both in the Lodge and at the Hotel and a large assortment of nice campsites. That is often a dry number of miles around Mt Horn but don't cross it off the list of possible places to camp simply because you may not be camping next to a most convenient water source. Plan.

waterman1148
10-31-2013, 22:22
Hi Justwalking, the next reliable water after Bull gap is Scott lake.
Horn mountain is a good place to stash water, but you won't get there by car. It will take a 4x4 (or a 2x4 you don't like). Just past Bull gap coming from Sylacauga is FS road 600-?. This will run from 148 to 77. The fire tower will be on the left headed north, I think around 6 miles. NOT SURE.
Hope this helps.

waterman1148
10-31-2013, 22:32
I should have noted that I usually just take enough water to make it through. It's really not that bad.

flemdawg1
11-07-2013, 17:17
I stashed water up there back in December on a hike last year. We took FS 600 from AL 77 in my buddy's 4x4. Yes the road is abit rough. Rutted and rocky, not muddy. Basically any high clearance vehicle can do it (i.e. pickup)

Justwalking
11-07-2013, 17:47
I drive a 2wd F150, think that will do?

blisterbob
11-07-2013, 19:24
I hiked from Bulls Gap to Scotts Lake this past Mon. Left Bulls Gap at 9:00 AM and was at Scotts lake at 4:00 PM.
Forget about driving a 2wd from Bulls Gap on FS 600. If you have to get to the fire tower/ CCC shelter go in from Hwy 77.
There is no water until Scotts Lake. The trail is marked well and the treadway was beaten down by the trail runners over
the weekend, but is probably covered with fresh fallen leaves now. The only place you might not see the trail outline is over
a rocky ridge north of the high tension lines and before Heath Bluff. If you lose the trail there just go over the top of the ridge
diagonally and down the east slope about a hundred feet. There were only a couple small trees across the trail in section 4.
From Scotts Lake to Clairmont gap the trail is in very good shape, blazed well and easily navigated.
Have a good hike,
bb

blisterbob
11-23-2013, 13:23
[QUOTE=blisterbob;1814892] The only place you might not see the trail outline is over
a rocky ridge north of the high tension lines and before Heath Bluff. If you lose the trail there just go over the top of the ridge
diagonally and down the east slope about a hundred feet.
UPDATE;
On 11/21 John Calhoun and I reblazed, posted a couple signs, built carins around the switchback and there should not be any
problems navigating this section.