PDA

View Full Version : AT produces smelly hikers huh?

Different Socks
11-01-2013, 11:10
Well one lady has a solution for all us stinky trail people. Here are her comments from a post about an incident in a school class room:

I have asthma, and I would rather smell Axe than some of the people I have to put up with. I deal with the public, and people hiking the Appalachian trail stop by our business. I wish they would use Axe, they are so rank you almost feel your nose hair burning! Baby wipes aren't that heavy to carry, they could wipe themselves off with them. I have had to use my rescue inhaler more than once a day during weeks when the hikers really start passing through.

bfayer
11-01-2013, 11:15
Actually the title of the post should be: Hikers produce a smelly AT :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Hill Ape
11-01-2013, 11:23
axe makes me choke, that stuff smells horrible. gimme a smelly hiker any day over that crap

Starchild
11-01-2013, 11:51
We are dirty and stinky and so well loved :)

Can you imagine how bad the shelters would reek be if all the hikers used Axe :eek:

goatee
11-01-2013, 11:51
Exercise=sweat=smell.She didn't say what kind of business she owns that the hikers frequent but I would guess that she benefits from the visits.Smell from patrons just part of doing business.

Mike

Slo-go'en
11-01-2013, 11:55
Actually, it's the clothes and pack that stink, so baby wipes aren't gonna help. That's why it's nice to leave your pack outside and have a town shirt.

Cookerhiker
11-01-2013, 13:06
Sounds like the Kent Lady:D

daddytwosticks
11-01-2013, 13:17
axe makes me choke, that stuff smells horrible. gimme a smelly hiker any day over that crap
Kind of like the old "Brute" brand products from my younger days. Who can forget the Brute gift sets they got at Christmas time? I think my family was trying to tell me something. :)

max patch
11-01-2013, 13:33
We are dirty and stinky and so well loved :)

Yes, we are a real benefit to mankind.

Sarcasm the elf
11-01-2013, 13:36

I actually brought a trial size bottle of axe on one of my first hikes years ago, I learned two things:

1) AXE smells terrible, worse than hiker stench IMO, (to steal a line from Carlin) kind of like the urinal in a portuguese cathouse.

2) AXE does NOTHING to cover up hiker stench, it just adds a second smell and the two mix together into a far worse smell.

Sarcasm the elf
11-01-2013, 13:39
Also, while i admit that i'm not very knowledgeabe about Asthma, i didn't think it was physically possible for the natural smell of another human to trigger an attack. Can anyone here confirm this or correct me?

max patch
11-01-2013, 13:44
When the kids were in middle school at one of the pta meetings they told everyone not to give their kids Axe. Said that after PE class (these days kids don't shower after PE like I did back in the dark ages) the kids all use Axe to cover up the stink. Teacher said you can not believe how the class rooms smell with a bunch of sweaty kids trying to cover up the stink with Axe.

Coffee
11-01-2013, 13:51
I have a set of camp clothes that I use after I finish walking for the day. I try to wipe down with individually packaged wet wipes before changing into these camp clothes. When going into "civilization", I will use these camp clothes after wiping down again near the trailhead. The shirt is smartwool and doesn't hold an odor. I think that if hikers were willing to carry a very small amount of additional weight (well under a pound) to not go into establishments with hiking clothes that would solve most of the problem. Plus having clean camp clothes each afternoon and evening is pretty nice as well.

Starchild
11-01-2013, 14:13
Also, while i admit that i'm not very knowledgeabe about Asthma, i didn't think it was physically possible for the natural smell of another human to trigger an attack. Can anyone here confirm this or correct me?

I looked it up quickly, and it seem that body odors were not on the list at asthma.com, but perfumes were. Though stress was, which if she is bothered so much might be the trigger.

lush242000
11-01-2013, 14:17
Not all hikers smell. The lazy ones do though.

Sent from somewhere.

kayak karl
11-01-2013, 14:45

Sent from somewhere. .....says the section hiker :)

Valley Girl
11-01-2013, 14:51
Mix Old Spice, Brute and High Karate together and you have AXE! You're welcome! Oh don't even get me started on the soap on a rope :banana

Valley Girl
11-01-2013, 14:52
Oh wait did I just give away my age LOL!!!

hikerboy57
11-01-2013, 15:18
.....says the section hiker :)
really. i was just out for 2 months this spring, and i still havent washed the smell out of my clothes.im lazy, i guess.
but i do wear hai karate when i can find it. im careful how i use it, too.

Another Kevin
11-01-2013, 15:25
Hmm. Even for a clueless weekender, not stinking at the post-hike dinner after a 3- or 4-day section can be important.

In cold weather, I try very hard not to get sweaty, because sweaty now will mean COLD later. So I don't stink nearly so bad in colder weather. In hot weather, I bring along my Sea to Summit bucket, a bandana, a dollar store sham-wow, and a little bottle of Dr Bronner's soap.

Yes. I bathe on the trail. As you'll have heard in earlier posts, I also have been known actually to cook meals on the trail. The time taken for these activities means that I go a mile or three less a day. The extra weight for them is less than half a pound. I think that if I did longer excursions, I'd keep with this pattern, because for me, real food and a bath are a morale booster.

But I think I'm repeating myself. (On the other hand, people keep starting these threads...)

hikerboy57
11-01-2013, 16:03
Hmm. Even for a clueless weekender, not stinking at the post-hike dinner after a 3- or 4-day section can be important.

In cold weather, I try very hard not to get sweaty, because sweaty now will mean COLD later. So I don't stink nearly so bad in colder weather. In hot weather, I bring along my Sea to Summit bucket, a bandana, a dollar store sham-wow, and a little bottle of Dr Bronner's soap.

Yes. I bathe on the trail. As you'll have heard in earlier posts, I also have been known actually to cook meals on the trail. The time taken for these activities means that I go a mile or three less a day. The extra weight for them is less than half a pound. I think that if I did longer excursions, I'd keep with this pattern, because for me, real food and a bath are a morale booster.

But I think I'm repeating myself. (On the other hand, people keep starting these threads...) it's not the body odor,its the the clothing and gear

aficion
11-01-2013, 16:13
it's not the body odor the clothing and gear

Body, clothing, gear.....all washable. I do have a synthetic t shirt that will not let go of the stink though....and its been that way for years.....anybody know how to destankify it? Should I just throw it away?:-?

hikerboy57
11-01-2013, 16:22
Body, clothing, gear.....all washable. I do have a synthetic t shirt that will not let go of the stink though....and its been that way for years.....anybody know how to destankify it? Should I just throw it away?:-?
wash it in hydrochloric acid.the smell disappears, along with most of the shirt

Chair-man
11-01-2013, 16:58
Here are her comments from a post about an incident in a school class room.

She referring to news reports of incidents in schools like this> http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/10/31/school-shut-down-and-kids-hospitalized-after-6th-grade-boys-spray-too-much-axe/

aficion
11-01-2013, 17:08

Are you as helpful on the trail?;)

Another Kevin
11-01-2013, 17:26
it's not the body odor,its the the clothing and gear

Well, for the post-hike dinner after a clueless 3-4 day weekend, I usually have "town clothes" in the car to change into, so the gestank for me must be something other than my gear.

And you're right, my backpack smells like a wet campfire.

Coffee
11-01-2013, 17:27
And you're right, my backpack smells like a wet campfire.

A travel size bottle of Febreeze eliminated 20 days of stink from my ULA Circuit pretty effectively. And it STANK before the Febreeze.

hikerboy57
11-01-2013, 17:35

Are you as helpful on the trail?;)rarely. .

WingedMonkey
11-01-2013, 19:01

Sent from somewhere.

This thru-hiker agrees.

I still have what were my "town clothes" 18 years ago.

The shorts have been patched and the shirts are so thin they finally feel comfortable biking in Florida summer.

And they still don't stink.

TroutknuT
11-01-2013, 20:00
When the kids were in middle school at one of the pta meetings they told everyone not to give their kids Axe. Said that after PE class (these days kids don't shower after PE like I did back in the dark ages) the kids all use Axe to cover up the stink. Teacher said you can not believe how the class rooms smell with a bunch of sweaty kids trying to cover up the stink with Axe.

Working in a high school PE building for 20 years was a real eye opener. Axe in place of a shower we call C.O.D....colone over dirt.

aficion
11-01-2013, 20:01
This thru-hiker agrees.

I still have what were my "town clothes" 18 years ago.

The shorts have been patched and the shirts are so thin they finally feel comfortable biking in Florida summer.

And they still don't stink.

Apparently you are not sweating correctly.

HikerMom58
11-01-2013, 20:23

Ah.... ha ha!! That's so funny!! I was thinking the same thing. But you know what?.. Some people don't sweat bullets or if they do they don't ever smell that bad. :sun The sun is for you, WM.

Another Kevin
11-01-2013, 20:29
No, you've got it all wrong. I don't smell. You smell. I stink.

Sarcasm the elf
11-01-2013, 20:34
On the subject of stinking in trail towns and when hitch hiking, our friends at The Trail Show (a.k.a. Mags and company) recommended applying sunscreen and then throwing your raingear over your cloths before renter ing civilization. I can say from experience that doing this goes a long way to reduce hiker stench, especially if you clean off with a handkerchief and some Doc Brommers beforehand.

aficion
11-01-2013, 20:34
Ah.... ha ha!! That's so funny!! I was thinking the same thing. But you know what?.. Some people don't sweat bullets or if they do they don't ever smell that bad. :sun The sun is for you, WM.

Promise to shower before I meet you and DH this weekend. No shreddies, but I will not be wearing the offending shirt. BBQ first, sweat later.

WingedMonkey
11-01-2013, 20:55

I sweat gallons.

I'm the guy with a bandana on each shoulder strap.

Maybe my system flushes out the funk better that way.

aficion
11-01-2013, 20:58
I sweat gallons.

I'm the guy with a bandana on each shoulder strap.

Maybe my system flushes out the funk better that way.

Probably some truth to that. Can't imagine someone who doesn't sweat much thriving in Fla.

Wise Old Owl
11-01-2013, 21:11
I thought a really great reply... suddenly.... must be a smell involved.... never mind.

HikerMom58
11-01-2013, 21:14
Promise to shower before I meet you and DH this weekend. No shreddies, but I will not be wearing the offending shirt. BBQ first, sweat later.

Ok... that is a deal. :) I promise I will shower too. Yes, BBQ then some walkin & sweatin.. I'm so happy that you and DH will be meeting each other too! We gotta get Poedog to meet up with us. Have u met him yet aficion?

HikerMom58
11-01-2013, 21:15
I thought a really great reply... suddenly.... must be a smell involved.... never mind.

Hey WOO!! :D

I don't think I will ever get WM to talk to me.... he just shoots sarcastic remarks my way & then posts dancing bananas.

rocketsocks
11-01-2013, 21:16
Can you imagine how bad the shelters would reek be if all the hikers used Axe :eek:Worse than Fri night Bingo at the Senior. Center

Wise Old Owl
11-01-2013, 21:17
Oh...its so hard to please the opposite sex when you smell like a bear and cant figure out how to bathe....

HikerMom58
11-01-2013, 21:22
Worse than Fri night Bingo at the Senior. Center

I honestly had never heard of Axe until just now on WB. Hey RS.... :D

hikerboy57
11-01-2013, 21:24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtwh3nQP5Uo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtwh3nQP5Uo

aficion
11-01-2013, 21:27
Ok... that is a deal. :) I promise I will shower too. Yes, BBQ then some walkin & sweatin.. I'm so happy that you and DH will be meeting each other too! We gotta get Poedog to meet up with us. Have u met him yet aficion?

No though we both were at Punch Bowl shelter the same day, last week.... only missed each other by an hour or so. Have you met him?

HikerMom58
11-01-2013, 21:30
No I haven't met him yet. Hey- don't forget we gain an hour tomorrow night.. :D

HB... that's an old TV commerical. :P

rocketsocks
11-01-2013, 21:32
I honestly had never heard of Axe until just now on WB. Hey RS.... :DI only heard about it a few years ago, seems all the kids use it these days...I got the same bottle of old spice I got when I was 14, perhaps I should use it more.:o

Many boys today are into pheromones, instead of puttin in the time and actually talkin to a girl, whats the world comin to.:(

aficion
11-01-2013, 21:38
Oh...its so hard to please the opposite sex when you smell like a bear and cant figure out how to bathe....

Suspect you don't really please either sex in that deplorable condition.

HikerMom58
11-01-2013, 21:52
I only heard about it a few years ago, seems all the kids use it these days...I got the same bottle of old spice I got when I was 14, perhaps I should use it more.:o

Many boys today are into pheromones, instead of puttin in the time and actually talkin to a girl, whats the world comin to.:(

Well, to be honest with ya RS.. I never really liked old spice.. jus sayin. I like the "mountain man" smell.

And yeah, I don't know what this world is coming too... :o

aficion
11-01-2013, 21:56
I only heard about it a few years ago, seems all the kids use it these days...I got the same bottle of old spice I got when I was 14, perhaps I should use it more.:o

Wolds comin' to the place where the girls attack you, axe or no axe....talk or no talk. I got 3 boys.......I know.

rocketsocks
11-01-2013, 22:20
Well, to be honest with ya RS.. I never really liked old spice.. jus sayin. I like the "mountain man" smell.

And yeah, I don't know what this world is coming too... :oTruth be told, I'm not much of a product user...bar soap and some shampoo...that's about it.

oh, and teeth paste....cause I got more than one :D

Wolds comin' to the place where the girls attack you, axe or no axe....talk or no talk. I got 3 boys.......I know.Where the heck were all these girls when I was growing up.

whisper walking
11-01-2013, 22:27
I hike and I have asthma. I've never had an attack because I smelled someone's, shall we say, aroma. ( I like to think that hikers smell medieval.)

aficion
11-01-2013, 22:39
Truth be told, I'm not much of a product user...bar soap and some shampoo...that's about it.

Where the heck were all these girls when I was growing up.

Woodstock. Their babies are on fire.

hikerboy57
11-01-2013, 22:53
woodstock. there were a lot of smelly hikers there too

Rasty
11-01-2013, 23:00
Sounds like the Kent Lady:D

I really miss Kent Lady!

Sarcasm the elf
11-01-2013, 23:02
I really miss Kent Lady!

Lou still thinks that I saw her car. Spotless late model, high end Jaguar parked in the dirt directly infront of the trail crossing at West Cornwall Road.

aficion
11-01-2013, 23:06
I really miss Kent Lady!

Kent Lady don't miss much.

Rasty
11-01-2013, 23:06
woodstock. there were a lot of smelly hikers there too

Get a hair cut Hippy

Wise Old Owl
11-01-2013, 23:08
it REALLY IS ABOUT THE HAIR!

aficion
11-01-2013, 23:09
I really miss Kent Lady!

I miss Country Joe and the Fish.

Rasty
11-01-2013, 23:16
I miss Country Joe and the Fish.

I'm too young to be expected to know who they are.

aficion
11-01-2013, 23:22

I expect nothing from anyone. There are good recordings you might enjoy.

hikerboy57
11-01-2013, 23:25
he led the "fish" cheer at woodstock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBdeCxJmcAo

Rasty
11-01-2013, 23:25

I know who they are and like them.

Rasty
11-01-2013, 23:27
he led the "fish" cheer at woodstock

Every time I see footage from Woodstock I just want to grab a bar of soap and a fire hose.

Sarcasm the elf
11-01-2013, 23:28
I expect nothing from anyone

This is my philosophy on the trail, which is why the A.T. is one of the only places where I am always excited to meet people.

hikerboy57
11-01-2013, 23:30
Every time I see footage from Woodstock I just want to grab a bar of soap and a fire hose.
are you related to the kent lady?

Rasty
11-01-2013, 23:31

You never know?

aficion
11-01-2013, 23:32

"Feel like I'm fixin to die"

aficion
11-01-2013, 23:52
Truth be told, I'm not much of a product user...bar soap and some shampoo...that's about it.

Where the heck were all these girls when I was growing up.

"Well its 1, 2, 3,....What are we fightin' for, don't ask me I don't give a damn, next stop is Viet Nam. And its five , six, seven, open up the Pearly Gates....Well there ain't no time to wonder why...Whoopee, we're all goin' to die." Those were the days. Some things never change.

Sarcasm the elf
11-02-2013, 00:04

What are you talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNojdoI_D_M

This is the current evolution of truly creatlive music for my generation.

If you don't find it exciting then you just don't get it, plus this is what I listen to before I go on a walkabout in my neighborhood.

Now I'm off on a night hike, to enjoy the NON-haunted locals in my neighborhood while still making miles. Enjoy...

aficion
11-02-2013, 00:08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNojdoI_D_M

This is the current evolution of truly creatlive music for my generation.

If you don't find it exciting then you just don't get it, plus this is what I listen to before I go on a walkabout in my neighborhood.

Now I'm off on a night hike, to enjoy the NON-haunted locals in my neighborhood while still making miles. Enjoy...

Me too Elf. Going back up the mountain for the night. Too nice out not to. Happy trails.

Rasty
11-02-2013, 00:11

It a joke. Soap scares the hippies!

rocketsocks
11-02-2013, 00:12

"Well its 1, 2, 3,....What are we fightin' for, don't ask me I don't give a damn, next stop is Viet Nam. And its five , six, seven, open up the Pearly Gates....Well there ain't no time to wonder why...Whoopee, we're all goin' to die." Those were the days. Some things never change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dyl0j3WU6Y

Hoofit
11-02-2013, 06:44
Yep, smelly and proud of it!

Sarcasm the elf
11-02-2013, 07:07
It a joke. Soap scares the hippies!

That's because soap is scary...

HikerMom58
11-02-2013, 09:43
Yep, smelly and proud of it!

Yeah mon

That's because soap is scary...

Soap on a rope is scary....

Happy Hiking aficion!!

lush242000
11-02-2013, 09:47

Oh. My. You have hurt my feelings.

Sent from somewhere.

lush242000
11-02-2013, 09:49

Sweat has no odor. Bacteria has the odor.

Sent from somewhere.

jeffmeh
11-02-2013, 10:51
I think you guys are missing the point (science interlude). :)

Sweaty T-Shirts and Human Mate Choice:

In the first "sweaty T-shirt" experiment, a Swiss zoologist, Claus Wedekind, set up a test of women's sensitivity to male odors. He assembled volunteers, 49 women and 44 men selected for their variety of MHC gene types. He gave the men clean T-shirts to wear for two nights and then return to the scientists.

In the laboratory, the researchers put each T-shirt in a box equipped with a smelling hole and invited the women volunteers to come in, one at a time, and sniff the boxes. Their task was to sample the odor of seven boxes and describe each odor as to intensity, pleasantness, and sexiness.

The results were striking. Overall, the women preferred the scents of T-shirts worn by men whose MHC genes were different from their own.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/library/01/6/l_016_08.html (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/library/01/6/l_016_08.html)

lush242000
11-02-2013, 11:05
Penn and Teller had an episode on Bullsh.. About smelly people. The question was centered on whether old people smell or not. In a blind test they found people could tell of you were on old or young person. While this is not directly related to the topic it was interesting.

Sent from somewhere.

Sly
11-02-2013, 14:03

LOL... no one in the movie is any dirtier or smells any worse than the typical hiker entering Damascus.

Another Kevin
11-02-2013, 14:54
Sometimes when I come home from an outing, my wife will tell me, "You smell like outdoors. It's nice." when I'm saying to myself, "OMG I gotta get into the shower, I stink." So I tend to believe that stuff about Major Histocompatibility Complex proteins and whatnot.

Grampie
11-02-2013, 15:40
I think that you will discover that the hikers that smell realbad want to. During my thru I washed or showered whenever I could. Most nights I would just wash off with water, my bandana and a little Dr. Boumer's soap. Than I would change into a pair of shorts and a tee shirt that I slept in.
During my thru I met a hiker that didn't shower even though we were at a hostel that provided towels and soap. I met a SOBO hiker near Kent who stunk so bad I couldn't get close to him. He told me that he hadn't washed since he left Maine.

bfayer
11-02-2013, 15:54
I think that you will discover that the hikers that smell realbad want to. During my thru I washed or showered whenever I could. Most nights I would just wash off with water, my bandana and a little Dr. Boumer's soap. Than I would change into a pair of shorts and a tee shirt that I slept in.
During my thru I met a hiker that didn't shower even though we were at a hostel that provided towels and soap. I met a SOBO hiker near Kent who stunk so bad I couldn't get close to him. He told me that he hadn't washed since he left Maine.

Too some extent I think this is true. Although you can not keep yourself from stinking, you can mitigate the effects on others with some basic daily hygiene. I have also heard hikers brag about not cleaning themselves for weeks. Since I am not a thru hiker maybe I am out of the loop when it comes to wearing the stench with pride.

As a side note, the spray sold at pet stores for eliminating pets smells from carpet works wonders for packs and such once you get home.

aficion
11-02-2013, 16:27
Too some extent I think this is true. Although you can not keep yourself from stinking, you can mitigate the effects on others with some basic daily hygiene. I have also heard hikers brag about not cleaning themselves for weeks. Since I am not a thru hiker maybe I am out of the loop when it comes to wearing the stench with pride.

As a side note, the spray sold at pet stores for eliminating pets smells from carpet works wonders for packs and such once you get home.

I have bathed twice in the last three days, in water from sources within spitting distance of the AT, though not on the data sheets. I needed a bath in both cases. I absolutely, transcendentally, enjoyed both of them 1000 times more than the one I'm getting ready to take at home now. If you want to stink, you sure can................but you really don't have to.;)

jeffmeh
11-06-2013, 12:32

Agreed. It also works well for synthetic base layers, although I find that to be a losing battle within a short time after wearing it again. That's one of the main reasons that I have transitioned to merino base layers.

Another very effective method is an overnight soak in warm Oxyclean solution, and a rinse. I did that with my son's ULA Circuit after his thru-hike, and it came out clean and fresh. Let's just say that it didn't start that way. :)

fertilizer
11-06-2013, 13:55
I have asthma, and I think it is highly unlikely that human stank could trigger an attack.

Hot Flash
11-06-2013, 16:36

Oh, snap! :D

Dogwood
11-06-2013, 17:18
This will be ignored by those hikers who think it's AOK to always smell and look like a shart turd Pig Pen Peanuts character or those who think Embrace the Brutality means others should also be subjected to the same by embracing your Ohdoor and filthy appearance but here goes.

First, the AT and those who hike it have no monopoly on odors and grime.

Second, it's quite easy to NOT ALWAYS have to smell and look like a turd as a hiker even if on a long distance hike like a thru-hike. I carry a bandanna and/or a ditty rag(C 2 Summit, REI, or piece of Shamwow) on most long distance hikes and wash up/wipe up/scrub down away from drinking water sources(all sources of water should be considered as drinking water sources!). PCT thru-hiker buddy of mine nicknamed Milkjug Express carried a cut down plastic milk jug w/ the handle still attached off the back of his pack just for such occasions - washing himself up and his clothing away from water sources. Don't be afraid of the water all U afraid of the water scaredy cats or speed hikers who don't want to stop to clean up a bit. On the AT a thru-hiker crosses quite a few large rivers and is routed near large lakes/reservoirs, etc. Take a frackin dip Pig Pens and don't create a toxic waste dump doing it.

I almost always have multiple torso apparel so I often have a clean/cleaner one(shirt, jacket, vest, etc) to change into like when first going into town and have not yet done laundry or when I'm hitching a ride. No one enjoys being in a car, restaurant, hostel, hotel, OR LAUNDROMAT with you and your funky grimy gear. How? Rinse clothes out, hang wet clothes from the top/back of a pack(I always have a few safety pins attached to the outside of my pack(stainless or brass ones are my preferable choices), let dry out, and switch back and forth always having a cleaner one to change into. Two prs of socks works well this way too. Rinse off your pack, shelter, shoes , etc when in town. Lots of hotels, hostels, campgrounds, etc have spray hoses. Learn how to wash your quilt/sleeping bag. It's not brain surgery washing a sleeping bag/quilt. This is helpful in several ways - odors attract animals, dirt, sweat and grime have wt(hear that ULers?) and contribute to deterioration of fabrics, decrease breathability, crud up zippers, snaps, velcro, pocket knives, shock corded shelter ferrules, spread bacteria/viruses/invasive species, etc. Some folks carry a small screw cap bottle of Dr Bronners which serves to brush teeth, wash clothes, and scrub your skin and hair. Even a few dabs of Dr Bronners(Peppermint, lavender, Hemp, etc) on shoes, under the armpits, behind the neck, etc can mask the funky smells. Personally, I like Bert's Bees Res Q Ointment with a lavender/rosemary herbal scent(don't worry all U macho types, it's not too feminine smelling, would work for both genders as will Dr Bronners). I use the Bert's Bees Res Q Ointment on my feet in place of carrying a separate anti-friction cream/ointment, skin moisturizer(good for that!), lip balm, cuts/scrapes(has some anti-septic/anti bacterial properties), and for it's fragrance which I all find quite soothing and refreshing. YES, I too can smell my own funky ohdoor and it isn't always pleasant. No, I don't enjoy smelling my own farts either. Save that for immature frat parties. I find the herbals and tacky texture in it also work as a mild insect repellant for some insects. Along that line, I notice some herbal formula Lip Balms are disliked by many insects. The BB Res Q Ointment goes a long way for me. Even a small tin of Tiger Balm(that I sometimes carry) for achy sore muscles and joints can smell better than body funk ohdoor. It's not too hard for folks to cut down on the odor and funk. And, it pays multiple dividends. Who knows who you might meet on a hike, on a hitch, and in towns along the way. I'm here to tell you a hike can provide opportunities and open up doors to all sorts of things. Smelling OK(nice) and being less funky can assist with that. That's another thread topic though.

Dogwood
11-06-2013, 17:31

I've used McNett's MiraZyme Enzyme-Based Odor Eliminator(sold in 8 fl oz bottles), Rank Away(only on my shoes), and RevivX Odor Eliminator on some very funky smelling hiking gear and it has worked well in eliminating many odors. I think Grangers makes something similar.

Happy44
11-06-2013, 22:33
The lazy ones? Wut what part of 2000 miles is lazy?

lynn523
11-06-2013, 23:42
"I have asthma, and I think it is highly unlikely that human stank could trigger an attack."

I agree with you Fertilizer, and I have a hunch that the woman the OP posted about would too. Her statement was:
"I have asthma, and I would rather smell Axe than some of the people I have to put up with."

I interpreted that to mean that she would rather risk suffering Axe-induced asthma than endure the stench of some hikers. Sounds like she rather have difficulty breathing than to breathe the stench.

Whether Axe will actually cover hiker funk, is another issue! As a hiker, and as someone whose asthma can be triggered by copious amounts of perfume, I'm glad Axe isn't widely used by the AT hiking community. Big fan of biodegradable soap.

Different Socks
11-07-2013, 00:17
I have bathed twice in the last three days, in water from sources within spitting distance of the AT, though not on the data sheets. I needed a bath in both cases. I absolutely, transcendentally, enjoyed both of them 1000 times more than the one I'm getting ready to take at home now. If you want to stink, you sure can................but you really don't have to.;)

AMEN!! I carry a water bag with shower head on it. Usually get laughed at but within 4--5 days, someone will ask to use it for a shower, then the next, and the next and the next.

Dogwood
11-07-2013, 08:12
I almost feel silly talking about things like this, and many other things here, especially when getting into a longer post, examining the minutiae because IF one actually hikes enough rather than getting into so much yakkety yak about hiking and gear from a behind the keyboard, across the table at an outdoor vendor market, at outdoor stores, etc these things start becoming obvious. Of course it does take some observing, learning, willing to notice others who do it better than you, and making the adjustments one feels that are wise when applying things to yourself. You have to get out and do it in a boots on the ground fashion. The difference between knowledge and wisdom IMHO is that wisdom is the ability to apply knowledge. Wisdom as it applies to your own hiking is often gained by actually getting out and hiking? Here we are BSing about hikers being smelly on page 5. I say this because more than half of all that I share did not originate with me. It came from learning what others do and then making it better in the real world by applying that knowledge in the real world. The degree to which one becomes a better hiker is in large measure relative to your real world hiking experiences. There's no substitute.