PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian Impressions

Lugnut
08-20-2005, 09:15
Our local PBS stations are running an hour program on a group hiking the AT. I don't know if it is national PBS or just here, but I would think it would be national. For those lucky enough to live here in 'allergy alley' it's on channel 14 at 9 PM. The show was on another local station a few days ago so it is making the rounds.

Lilred
08-20-2005, 10:05
yes, it's played here in the Nashville area as well. Several friends have told me they've seen it.

Jaybird
08-20-2005, 10:39
Our local PBS stations are running an hour program on a group hiking the AT. I don't know if it is national PBS or just here, but I would think it would be national. For those lucky enough to live here in 'allergy alley' it's on channel 14 at 9 PM. The show was on another local station a few days ago so it is making the rounds.

Mark Flagler's "APPALACHAIN IMPRESSIONS" (http://amcstore.outdoors.org/AB1805000/showdetl.cfm/Product_ID/710/DID/8)
available on DVD. for 29.95

Tabasco
08-20-2005, 11:58
One of my favorite AT films.

Lilred
08-20-2005, 23:09
One of my favorite AT films.

I've seen three AT films, this one, Trek and Walking with Freedom. Appalachian Impressions was my least favorite. It's a great film for those that know nothing about the AT.

Lugnut
08-21-2005, 00:07
Well, at least our very own Footslogger was shown giving free haircuts at Kincora even though his own beard looked pretty shagy! :D

Youngblood
08-21-2005, 09:01
I watched it last night on PBS, here in Atlanta. It was 2 seperate one hour segments that was shown back to back. I enjoyed it because it takes you back and lets you relive some of your own experiences. It was well done. I think main stream America might not appreciate it since it is pretty much a historical documentary of what a thru hike is, but those really interested in thru-hikes would like it, appreciated it and get some idea of what it is like... like I said well done, they accomplished what they set out to do.

Youngblood

Bob Baker
08-21-2005, 09:11
I agree with Liredmg in that I didnt like it too much. I found Trek to be a better movie. Although, it would be a decent movie for anyone who hasnt had any experience with the AT.

onicoe
08-22-2005, 15:38
awh, i'd have liked to see that. maybe it's just playing in the states affected by the AT?

the only thing i'm currently catching on pbs [and pretty near constantly] is the flying dutchman concert series.

Tabasco
08-22-2005, 16:13
I've seen three AT films, this one, Trek and Walking with Freedom. Appalachian Impressions was my least favorite. It's a great film for those that know nothing about the AT.

I guess I must be a non-hiking dumb A$$ then who has never even seen a white blaze then Ms. LRM. Because, I enjoyed it.

Footslogger
08-22-2005, 16:18
Well, at least our very own Footslogger was shown giving free haircuts at Kincora even though his own beard looked pretty shagy! :D=====================================
Hey ...I resemble that statement !! and if you think my beard looked shaggy at Kincora you shoulda seen it at Katahdin in October !!

'Slogger

Tha Wookie
08-22-2005, 16:56
I think it's fantastic that these kind of films are making it to the general public. :clap

Lilred
08-22-2005, 17:47
I guess I must be a non-hiking dumb A$$ then who has never even seen a white blaze then Ms. LRM. Because, I enjoyed it.

Don't get so defensive. You're entitled to your opinion, I'm entitled to mine. If my opinion gets you so riled, then maybe you need to look at why, cause all I was doing was giving my opinion.

Man, some people are so touchy......

Lugnut
08-22-2005, 21:45
I didn't intend to start a war! :eek:

Tabasco
08-22-2005, 22:03
It's a great film for those that know nothing about the AT.

Not sure how else I could take it. Had you simply stated that you didn't like it, that would be one thing, however, with your snide remark as noted above.....

Spirit Walker
08-22-2005, 22:20
I looked it up online, to see if it was playing in the DC area - it wasn't even listed in the three month schedule. Yet when I did a google search, it showed that it had played in Kentucky, etc. Maybe next time they have a pledge drive they'll get it.

attroll
08-23-2005, 01:28
Well I enjoyed it very much. I know quite a bit about the AT even though I have not done a thru hiker yet. But I would have to agree that is seems to be intended for people who want to learn about the AT. But like I said I still enjoyed it.

Rain Man
08-23-2005, 06:51
Not sure how else I could take it. Had you simply stated that you didn't like it, that would be one thing, however, with your snide remark as noted above.....

Snide comment? I think the video is good for those who know nothing about the AT, too. Does that make me snide?

I also think it's a good video for people who know lots about the AT. Maybe I'm doubly snide!

LRM was not being snide. I say Toe-bass-co, you say Toe-bahs-co, . It's what makes the world go round.

BTW, the thing was shown here in Nashville on PBS on Sunday evening. It moved me to call in my pledge, even though I know neither nothing nor a lot about the AT!

Rain:sunMan

icemanat95
08-23-2005, 08:17
It's not on the national PBS schedule, so it's got to be local programming.

It's pledge drive time in Boston so it's the usual collection of endless Andre Rieu or whatever the guy's name is.

Carolina Cruiser
08-31-2005, 16:03
Appalachian Impressions will be aired nationwide by 50 PBS stations. It's not on the national programing but individual stations are picking it up. I liked the film very much. I have to because I produced it!
The purpose of this film was to educate a "broader" audience of people about the wonderful and difficult experience of attempting to hike the AT. I think I have done that. If you like the program then that's GREAT if you don't like the documentary that's FINE to.
I hope everyone is enjoying summer. Keep on hiking.
Mark "Carolina Cruiser" Flagler
Georgia - Maine 2001

Jack Tarlin
08-31-2005, 17:43
I've seen this film several times. I think it's a very fair and accurate picture of the world of thru-hiking; Cruiser's hiking credentials are excellent and his love for the Trail is apparent; also, his picture is particularly useful for those who know little about the Trail or the phenomena of thru-hiking.

I think some of the criticism of "Impressions" is from folks who've already thru-hiked and who think they've seen and done it all; therefore, some of the expository stuff in the film, like explanations of Trail geography or hiker terminology, or a sequence explaining what a maildrop is, etc., well I think a lot of folks feel that this is extranneous or not necessary. What they don't realize is that Mark was trying to reach the widest possible audience, including folks who know little or nothing about the Trail or thru-hiking.

I think it's a fine film and I urge folks to see it.

Skyline
08-31-2005, 17:58
I think it serves the same niche that "Five Million Steps" did when it first came out in the early '90s, but updated to a more current date. It's the kind of film anyone contemplating a long-distance AT hike, or anyone wanting to share what the AT experience and subculture are about with family/friends, is going to want to have.

As Jack implies, it probably won't be as much of a must-see for those who've already done the AT. But there are other films that would be, so there's something in the marketplace for everyone.

Lilred
08-31-2005, 17:58
I've seen this film several times. I think it's a very fair and accurate picture of the world of thru-hiking; Cruiser's hiking credentials are excellent and his love for the Trail is apparent; also, his picture is particularly useful for those who know little about the Trail or the phenomena of thru-hiking.

I think some of the criticism of "Impressions" is from folks who've already thru-hiked and who think they've seen and done it all; therefore, some of the expository stuff in the film, like explanations of Trail geography or hiker terminology, or a sequence explaining what a maildrop is, etc., well I think a lot of folks feel that this is extranneous or not necessary. What they don't realize is that Mark was trying to reach the widest possible audience, including folks who know little or nothing about the Trail or thru-hiking.

I think it's a fine film and I urge folks to see it.

I think it's a fine film too, and if I left the impression that I thought it wasn't good, I'm sorry. If his goal is to reach those that don't know about the AT or thru-hiking, and educate them, then he very much succeeded. I didn't care for it personally for the very reasons you mentioned above. Walking with Freedom touched my heart in a way the Impressions or Trek failed at, and that is the reason I like it best. It really pulled at my heartstrings.