PDA

View Full Version : trekking poles

hike500
11-03-2013, 18:21
I normally don't use them but recently picked up a tent that requires trekking poles. I am getting older and thought about getting some anyway. I have been looking at the Outdoor product brand and the Black Diamond trail back poles. Any thoughts on these or other budget friendly poles? Also, I do not like the twist lock kind but like what I think what they call flip lock? Any help would be appreciated!

johnnybgood
11-03-2013, 19:12
Black Diamond trekking poles are quality made by a reputable ompany that stands behind their product. The typical price will be $ 129 a pair, if you don't mind spending the money

The contour elliptical twist lock feels good and it's lightweight
Get the cork handles , they are easy on the hands ,especially in hot humid weather.

hike500
11-03-2013, 19:20
what do you think of the BD Trail Back model for around 70.00?

bfayer
11-03-2013, 19:22
Flick lock are the way to go once you decide to get a good pair. If you are not sure if hiking poles are for you, go to COSTCO and pick up a cheap pair to try out. If they don't work out, just get some light weight carbon poles for your new tent. Just about everyone that makes tents that use pole, also sells lightweight poles.

For myself I would not hike further than around the block without mine. I love them. I use Leki poles with their version of flick locks.

johnnybgood
11-03-2013, 19:42

I'm not familiar with that particular model , however if you buy from REI, you can always return the cheaper ones for a more expensive pair.

Check out REI's garage sale, I've seen high end trekking poles selling for half of their retail value.

Astro
11-03-2013, 20:25
I started out with low end Swiss Gear and then upgraded to Leki's with the flip locks. My Leki's are lighter and the flip locks are much nicer, definitely worth the extra money IMO. Can not imagine hiking long distances without them.

Another Kevin
11-03-2013, 20:40
+1 on cork grips. Much more comfortable on sweaty days.

I use flick locks. I've heard too many horror stories about twist locks. Either way, on a longer trip you need to have something that can serve as a screwdriver because both kinds loosen over time.

I'm nervous about carbon fiber poles breaking if I should happen to take a spill and land on one. Aluminum is heavier, and not as strong, but considerably tougher. It bends before it breaks.

I dislike the poles with shock absorbers. It's more than that I consider them a waste of money and weight. I actively dislike how they feel.

My Komperdell poles have served me nicely, for considerably less money than I'd have dropped on Leki or Black Diamond.

And I'm clueless about long-distance hiking. This is the perspective of a weekender with knees that are somewhat the worse for 57 years of abuse.

OutdoorsMan
11-03-2013, 20:56
I have 3 pairs of this model - a pair for myself and each of my 2 boys have a pair. This is one of the best pieces of hiking gear that I have ever bought. They are like having 4 wheel drive when going uphill and they are good for my 56 year old knees. I had an inexpensive twist lock type and they always failed me. The flick locks are the way to go IMO. These are not the lightest pole but I have never wished for lighter ones. I highly recommend that you get the BD Trails. I thought that they were $80.00 but we bought each of ours with the REI 20% discount so I guess that we have about $65/pair in ours. I do have a Lunar-Solo that requires a trekking pole and it works perfect for that purpose but I am switching to hammock hanging so I guess that I will use them to put my tarp in "porch" mode.

oldwetherman
11-03-2013, 22:00
For your consideration.....I like BD poles but the carbide tips wear out after about a thousand miles. They're almost impossible to find in outfitters and are tough to find in stock online. Almost every outfitter I tried along the AT had Leki tips in stock.

hike500
11-03-2013, 22:55
I have 3 pairs of this model - a pair for myself and each of my 2 boys have a pair. This is one of the best pieces of hiking gear that I have ever bought. They are like having 4 wheel drive when going uphill and they are good for my 56 year old knees. I had an inexpensive twist lock type and they always failed me. The flick locks are the way to go IMO. These are not the lightest pole but I have never wished for lighter ones. I highly recommend that you get the BD Trails. I thought that they were $80.00 but we bought each of ours with the REI 20% discount so I guess that we have about $65/pair in ours. I do have a Lunar-Solo that requires a trekking pole and it works perfect for that purpose but I am switching to hammock hanging so I guess that I will use them to put my tarp in "porch" mode.
Thanks for all the info everyone, I just picked up the BD Trail Backs on Amazon for 67.00.

Dr. Professor
11-03-2013, 23:16
My thoughts on poles:

1) Poles are awesome; they spare wear and tear on your joints and prevent and/or mitigate falls. I wouldn't go back to hiking without them.

2) I like my PacerPoles far more than other poles. They have a different grip shape which I feel is far superior. They are every bit as expensive as the upper end Black Diamonds, so there's that.

3) The shape of PacerPole grips does not in any way impair their function as tent poles.

4) I prefer flick locks (which my PacerPoles do not have).

5) I prefer cork grips (which my PacerPoles do not have).

6) I find poles to be the one area where weight is a non-issue. To me, durability is far more important. Give me thicker aluminum poles every time. If I were a 98 lbs female, I might feel differently.

7) Shock absorbers are an annoying gimmick that significantly diminish value.

8) Mechanics gloves or biking gloves can help if one has a tendency to form blisters. I haven't used them much, but I've seen others who swear by them.

I've tried other high end poles, but I feel that PacerPoles's grip shape is far superior, enough so easily to offset the (to me) disadvantages of not having flick locks or cork grips. If money really is a big issue, I'd say that almost any poles would be far superior to forgoing poles altogether.

Dr. Professor
11-03-2013, 23:21
I just saw that you already made your purchase; congratulations -- you'll love hiking with poles.