PDA

View Full Version : Carvers Gap/ Overmountain questions...

importman77
11-04-2013, 07:05
Okay, at the risk of showing my ignorance I'd like to ask a couple of questions. My wife and I are going to this area this weekend. We plan to arrive around mid day and hike south from Carvers gap to the Cloudland site and then back. My question on that is, is it fairly safe to leave a vehicle at Carvers Gap for a day hike like that? Then we'll spend the night at Mountain Harbour and get a shuttle back to the gap Saturday morning. We're going to spend the night at Overmountain shelter. My questions on that are: 1. Is there a place to hang my food bag (or do I even need to)? 2. Should I get away from the shelter to cook? I think I remember seeing pics of people cooking under the porch on TJ. It seems I know a little about these things but deep down I'm still a noobie. This will be the first time I've been able to get my wife to go with me and I really don't want to screw it up. Thanks in advance for your help.

Magic_Mack
11-04-2013, 08:16
Just start at cloud land then go to OS. Walk into mountain harbour the next day

moldy
11-04-2013, 08:48
It's noon, you park your car at Carvers Gap. Then you hike South slack packing,climbing to the top of Roan Mt about 1.5 miles to check out the foundations of the former Cloudland site until say...2pm. Then you turn around and hike North for 7.3 miles to Overmountain Shelter picking up your pack at the car for a 3 hour hike arriving just before dark. That is doable but unkind to your spouse to start with a tough climb. It would be easier to start your hike at the top of Roan by leaving your car up there in the parking lot or better yet leave your car clear back at Mt Harbour and get a shuttle like the other poster suggested. But to answer your questions, your car will be safe at Carvers Gap parking lot. The Overmountain shelter is a large 2 story barn with an interior stairway with upstairs sleeping and 2 large covered eating platforms with picnic tables for cooking. It like being in a house, no need to hang your food at all.

Tennessee Viking
11-04-2013, 09:20
Just start at cloud land then go to OS. Walk into mountain harbour the next dayThe road to Cloudland is closed at this time.

Okay, at the risk of showing my ignorance I'd like to ask a couple of questions. My wife and I are going to this area this weekend. We plan to arrive around mid day and hike south from Carvers gap to the Cloudland site and then back. My question on that is, is it fairly safe to leave a vehicle at Carvers Gap for a day hike like that? Then we'll spend the night at Mountain Harbour and get a shuttle back to the gap Saturday morning. We're going to spend the night at Overmountain shelter. My questions on that are: 1. Is there a place to hang my food bag (or do I even need to)? 2. Should I get away from the shelter to cook? I think I remember seeing pics of people cooking under the porch on TJ. It seems I know a little about these things but deep down I'm still a noobie. This will be the first time I've been able to get my wife to go with me and I really don't want to screw it up. Thanks in advance for your help.The trail up to Cloudland isn't much for sightseeing. Lots of switchbacks up along wooded trail. You basically have Roan High Knob Shelter & summit, the chimney and views from Cloudland. You will get the same and better views from the balds. I would recommend the side trip up to Grassy Ridge if you have the time.

Carvers Gap parking for a day hike is ok. Its leaving your car there for days, especially during the warmer months, you need to take precautions.

1. There are a number of hangers and trees around Overmountain to hang food bags.

2. Its probably going to be windy in the Roaring Creek valley, so you probably want to cook at the shelter's fire pit or in shielded areas. I only would not advise cooking in shelters in known bear areas. The only thing you really have to worry about around Overmountain is those vicious mice.

3. Only advice. Wear blaze orange. And bring a cold weather bag and clothes.

- Prepare for a chilly surprise when you first sit on the privy seat first thing in the morning.

sarge95
11-04-2013, 16:35
The hiking club does not recommend leaving cars overnight at Carvers Gap. There has been several breakins. Leave the car at Mountain Harbor and get a shuttle to Carvers Gap. I believe all facilities at Cloudland are closed. The gates are all locked. Overmountain Shelter has a great view down the Valley. I am not aware of any animal problems in that area however there are Bear problems on Pond Mtn and around the lake with no camping.

Rasty
11-04-2013, 16:42
I don't think I would leave my car at Carvers gap overnight either. The Cloudland site isn't all that great compared to the views north of Carver gap. Get the shuttle, stay at overmountain and keep going.

importman77
11-04-2013, 18:42
I appreciate all the great advice. I think though I may not have made my plans completely clear. We were planning to park at Carvers Gap and hike to Cloudland and back to Carvers gap on Friday afternoon as a little warmup, then drive to Mountain Harbor to spend the night. (Got the Jefferson Room with the hot tub ;). Then get a shuttle back to Carvers gap on Sat morning and walk to Overmountain and spend the night. Then get up Sunday and walk back to MH. You guys certainly answered all my questions and I do appreciate that. After some of the replies though I'm wondering if it's worth the hike to see Roan High Knob and Cloudland. I'm open for any other suggestions y'all have. Thanks again.

Grits
11-04-2013, 20:45
I appreciate all the great advice. I think though I may not have made my plans completely clear. We were planning to park at Carvers Gap and hike to Cloudland and back to Carvers gap on Friday afternoon as a little warmup, then drive to Mountain Harbor to spend the night. (Got the Jefferson Room with the hot tub ;). Then get a shuttle back to Carvers gap on Sat morning and walk to Overmountain and spend the night. Then get up Sunday and walk back to MH. You guys certainly answered all my questions and I do appreciate that. After some of the replies though I'm wondering if it's worth the hike to see Roan High Knob and Cloudland. I'm open for any other suggestions y'all have. Thanks again.
T V is spot on with his observations on hiking NB from Carvers Gap and the side trail up to Grassy Ridge. For your warm up hike Friday I would think about stopping in at Mountain Harbor and having them shuttle you up to the Jones Falls area and walking SB back to Mountain Harbor. 5 miles with the falls and good views of the humps and Beech and Grandfather Mountains. Have a great weekend and weather forecast expect sunny weather windy with a high of 40 and lows in the low 20's.
http://averyweather.com/Forecast/Beech+Mountain

Southeast
11-04-2013, 21:10
I was up there a couple weeks ago, love the views. As said above, the Grassy Ridge side trail is worth it. Bit of a hill to go up but pretty smooth sailing to the shelter from there.

Here's another option for checking the weather. You can chose different elevations to get a sense of the difference in wind/temps.
http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Grassy-Ridge-Bald/forecasts/1844

Here's a fairly short video from the trip. We did an out & back from Carvers to Overmountain.

http://youtu.be/8K3KgguE6_s

importman77
11-04-2013, 22:55
Grits: I really like the idea of shuttling to Jones Falls and hiking back to MH but looking at every resource I've got it looks like we'd be having to cover somewhere between 7 and 9 miles total. That's a little more than I wanted to do for a warmup. If there's another way please tell me, because I'd like to do it. Thanks for the suggestion either way.
Southeast: Love the video. It only makes me more anxious to get there and see it in person. Thanks for posting it.

MuddyWaters
11-04-2013, 23:06
After some of the replies though I'm wondering if it's worth the hike to see Roan High Knob and Cloudland.

Not really. Views from the balds North of Carvers are 10X better, a couple are 360 degree.

johnnybgood
11-04-2013, 23:26
Just did this section three weeks ago, agree about the better views north.
I did take a few pics on Roan bald including one interesting shot of an undercast, where you're above the clouds.

Ditto the blaze orange, especially in the Carver Gap area

Tennessee Viking
11-05-2013, 11:07
I appreciate all the great advice. I think though I may not have made my plans completely clear. We were planning to park at Carvers Gap and hike to Cloudland and back to Carvers gap on Friday afternoon as a little warmup, then drive to Mountain Harbor to spend the night. (Got the Jefferson Room with the hot tub ;). Then get a shuttle back to Carvers gap on Sat morning and walk to Overmountain and spend the night. Then get up Sunday and walk back to MH. You guys certainly answered all my questions and I do appreciate that. After some of the replies though I'm wondering if it's worth the hike to see Roan High Knob and Cloudland. I'm open for any other suggestions y'all have. Thanks again.The hike from Carvers Gap to Cloudland. Is not really that far. Its just a number of switchbacks. Its doable in about an hour or two. You can also add the Garden Trails and the trail out to Roan High Bluff.

Since the drive up Roan is pretty long and the section is pretty short, I would suggest doing it during the months when the gardens are open or when sectioning up from Hughes Gap.

If you and your wife are just wanting a warmup, you can hit some very easy dayhike sections DennisCove Road/Hampton Blue Blaze to the Laurel Fork Falls. Watauga Lake. Or just do the trails down in the Roan Mtn State Park. Some of them can be pretty easy, or very steep, and saves you the drive up the mountain.

English Stu
11-05-2013, 11:48
I was there in 2004 so things may have changed but I recall that OS is a two storybuilding and is very large.Being a snorerphobe I slept upstairs.

FarmerChef
11-05-2013, 11:50
The hike from Carvers Gap to Cloudland. Is not really that far. Its just a number of switchbacks. Its doable in about an hour or two. You can also add the Garden Trails and the trail out to Roan High Bluff.

Since the drive up Roan is pretty long and the section is pretty short, I would suggest doing it during the months when the gardens are open or when sectioning up from Hughes Gap.

If you and your wife are just wanting a warmup, you can hit some very easy dayhike sections DennisCove Road/Hampton Blue Blaze to the Laurel Fork Falls. Watauga Lake. Or just do the trails down in the Roan Mtn State Park. Some of them can be pretty easy, or very steep, and saves you the drive up the mountain.

Completely agree. I love the hike from Dennis Cove Road along the creek down to Laurel Falls and back up again. It's easy, not to long and beautiful the whole way. And I also agree that the balds north of Roan are much more worth it than Roan by itself and south. Much better to go back to Roan when the Rhodies are in full bloom. We did it with feet of snow on the ground and it was just a blip on the map as we walked through it. But we did the balds at the same time and were blown away by the views. You will really enjoy Overmountain Shelter. We hid Easter Eggs for the kids on Easter morning as we hiked through that section. Great view down the valley.

importman77
11-05-2013, 16:25
Well I must say thank you again for all the great advice. After hearing the suggestions my plan is to hike the Dennis Cove to Laurel Falls trail on Friday afternoon as an out and back. Then get mountain harbor to shuttle us to Carvers gap on Saturday morning and hike to O/S to spend Sat night. (might throw in the Grassy Ridge side trail too). Then when we get up Sunday, we'll hike our way back to M/H and pick up our vehicle. I really appreciate all the great advice. I'm thankful for all of it, especially the alternate plans for the Roan Mtn hike. Thanks guys.