PDA

View Full Version : It's Pollyanna Time

chall
11-04-2013, 10:02
My family is doing a Pollyanna this year, and we set it up to have everyone list one gift they would want, so that everyone would have an idea of what to get the person whose name they picked. The price range is between $50-100. What piece of gear would you ask for in this price range? Ok...Go!

mak1277
11-04-2013, 11:22
I'd ask for a nice knife.

My theory on gifts is that I always want to ask for something I'd never buy for myself. Personally I would have a hard time pulling the trigger on a knife in the price range you listed, hence it's a perfect gift idea for me.

rocketsocks
11-04-2013, 11:38
a hundred bucks

atmilkman
11-04-2013, 11:43
You must be from in or around Philadelphia. We call a certain kind of person a "Pollyanna" and what you speak of as Secret Santa. Knife is a good idea. Don't forget to give back a silver dollar.

Sarcasm the elf
11-04-2013, 11:49
A Red Ryder carbine-action, two hundred shot Range Model air rifle with a compass in the stock and this thing which tells time!

More serious suggestions:

We all have some pieces of gear that work well enough that we cant justify spending money to buy a replacement, but that we never really liked thst much. This is the perfect time to upgrade that piece of gear. Maybe a new stove, TI cookpot, steripen, high end headlamp?

Alternately, is there a piece of clothing thet you can't justify buying because of the price, this would be a good time to get them. Maybe a pair of softshell pants if you do winter hiking, or a new pair of overpriced gloves?

Sara
11-04-2013, 11:50
I give my gift person a list of hiking/camping/travel books that I'd like to read.
They choose which books to give me.

This way I get something I want and I still have a surprise on Christmas Day. :)

QHShowoman
11-04-2013, 12:17
We call it a "Secret Santa" or "Kris Kringle Exchange" and we list 3 potential items so that we can be somewhat surprised.

I'd ask for a new small daypack or merino base layers (probably either a top or bottoms, given the price range).

Mags
11-04-2013, 13:51
A gift card to a local brewpub for the post hike/ski/or climb.

The important things.

chall
11-04-2013, 14:19
These are good responses. I had no idea that Pollyanna was a Philly thing! I do hail from outside of Philly.

I'm good on the knife front for now. I was considering some kind of merino/other mid-weight baselayer or upgrading my stuff sacks. Maybe the Sawyer Mini squeeze? (although I do love my Platy Gravityworks [the lighter model])

Namtrag
11-04-2013, 14:34
I could never convince myself to spend $50-100 to buy a double walled titanium mug with a lid, so my coffee would stay warm, but if someone got me one, I would sure take it. I think those are in the price range you mention.

SipseyFreak
11-04-2013, 17:50
Snow Peak double wall mug with top
A set of cuben fiber stuff sacks
A lightweight silnylon rain jacket

QHShowoman
11-04-2013, 17:52
Oh, or rain pants. I finally bit the bullet and bought them (and was glad I did because on my next trip, it did indeed rain), but $70 was expensive for an item of clothing I wouldn't be wearing all the time.

max patch
11-04-2013, 17:56
I want to try a merino wool t-shirt and decide for myself if the performance justifies the cost. Last time I did a google search it looked like the regular non sale price is around $70. So thats what I'd choose.

RodentWhisperer
11-07-2013, 00:08
$100 in gasoline. That would just about cover the cost of driving to/from Yellowstone.

MuddyWaters
11-07-2013, 05:04
If there is somthing I actually WANT , I probably have bought it already. So by definition, almost anything my wife or kids tries to surprise me with, is probably something I DONT really want, i.e. a waste of money.

When in doubt, just give me a walmart gift card. Same as cash and I spend thousands there every year unfortunately, so I can just use the cash saved to buy myself something I decide I do want when the time comes.

Astro
11-07-2013, 09:34
If there is somthing I actually WANT , I probably have bought it already. So by definition, almost anything my wife or kids tries to surprise me with, is probably something I DONT really want, i.e. a waste of money.

When in doubt, just give me a walmart gift card. Same as cash and I spend thousands there every year unfortunately, so I can just use the cash saved to buy myself something I decide I do want when the time comes.

MW, that is oh so practical. But I always get in trouble when I suggest something like that. :rolleyes:

kayak karl
11-07-2013, 09:58
one year my son took off a day. we hiked pinnacle pike, then cabela's and ate at a dinner :) best gift ever.
PS i have a drawer full of camping/hiking gifts. plastic 6 egg holder, axe, saw, knives, first aid kits, fanny packs, canteens, plastic tent stakes, thermos, etc.....

atmilkman
11-07-2013, 10:07
one year my son took off a day. we hiked pinnacle pike, then cabela's and ate at a dinner :) best gift ever.
PS i have a drawer full of camping/hiking gifts. plastic 6 egg holder, axe, saw, knives, first aid kits, fanny packs, canteens, plastic tent stakes, thermos, etc.....

I'll bet you even have a folding shovel complete with sheath for carrying on a belt. (I know I do)

chall
11-07-2013, 13:10

Never used those fannypacks?!? Whoodathunk.

I went for the REI or EMS gift card option. I though I would catch some flak for it, but the father in law said that was fine by him (I say he has the final word in the Pollyanna rules).