PDA

View Full Version : Working Before a Thru Hike

RITBlake
11-04-2013, 12:07
I'm making preparations for a 2014 thru hike of the PCT. Obviously one of the things to get squared away is $$. I've got a great job, but it is a contract work and my contract/project ends November 15th. Finding new work can take time, and I really don't want to start a new project if I am going to be unavailable in Mid April (most projects are 1 - 2 years in duration) So I'm kind of stuck in between and looking for ideas for good, seasonal work that I can do before a thru hike. I live in southern NY.

moldy
11-04-2013, 12:35
Go to the mountain top. Check out ski resorts.

Mags
11-04-2013, 14:03
Indeed. Make snow! Be a "liftie". Heck, work in the cafeteria if need be. Won't enhance your resume, but it is the right time frame for before a thru-hike. Apply now, though! (And may even score you some pro-deals in some cases).

RITBlake
11-04-2013, 14:16
Indeed. Make snow! Be a "liftie". Heck, work in the cafeteria if need be. Won't enhance your resume, but it is the right time frame for before a thru-hike. Apply now, though! (And may even score you some pro-deals in some cases).

That's a great idea actually. Do they ever provide housing or are you on your own generally?

QHShowoman
11-04-2013, 14:32
If money is not important...get a seasonal job at REI. Seriously.
You'll be eligible for discounts and pro-deals almost immediately and can refine your gear while you're there.
You'll also get a sweet Christmas gift from the company. In my time there, they gave out daypacks, softshells, travel accessories (toiletry kit, passport holder, luggage tags), and a fleece vest and a tote bag.

bronconite
11-04-2013, 15:14
UPS and FedEx hire seasonal employees in the weeks leading up to Christmas.

moldy
11-04-2013, 15:47
Call these boys.
Have questions? Please email us at [email protected] or call 800-300-9095.

Mags
11-04-2013, 15:50
That's a great idea actually. Do they ever provide housing or are you on your own generally?

Some offer housing for a fee (esp the larger ones), some do not. A quick google search of indicates the larger ones do.

I never worked at one personally mind you. Only can go by what others I know have said.

Here's an example of one in CO
http://www.winterparkresort.com/employment/employee-housing.aspx

Slo-go'en
11-04-2013, 17:56
I made snow for part of a season at Wildcat. Working with water and fire hoses at 20 below is an experiance. Best part of the job was they let me drive a snowcat and all sunrises over Mt Washington across the valley...

Mountain Mike
11-04-2013, 18:38
Another good site for seasonal work. http://www.coolworks.com/

imscotty
11-04-2013, 18:51
Near you, Hunter Mountain Ski Resort is now hiring starting November 20th.

http://www.huntermtn.com/huntermtn/employment.aspx

imscotty
11-04-2013, 18:57
I made snow for part of a season at Wildcat. Working with water and fire hoses at 20 below is an experiance. Best part of the job was they let me drive a snowcat and all sunrises over Mt Washington across the valley...

Wildcat is my favorite place to ski. I am not much of a skier, but when I get to the top of Wildcat and look across that valley I just stare in awe until my toes grow numb. Then I enjoy the slow ride down to the bottom on that nice easy trail to the right. That usually warms me up enough to hop back on the lift and enjoy it again.

Blissful
11-04-2013, 22:27
I worked at one seasonal here in VA. Lousy pay. Sent home early sometimes due to lack of snow / skiers. Be sure to get work where you know you'll be actually working too. Like out west.

Marta
11-04-2013, 22:43
Another good site for seasonal work. http://www.coolworks.com/

Coolwoorks is where I found my job in Glacier NP. Housing is often provided, but not always. Sometimes meals are provided as well.

RITBlake
11-05-2013, 00:37
Coolwoorks is where I found my job in Glacier NP. Housing is often provided, but not always. Sometimes meals are provided as well.

Tell me more :)

whisper walking
11-05-2013, 12:31
Have you thought about doing taxes? Many companies provide quick training and you work from January to April.