PDA

View Full Version : What's With Men's shorts?

billdnc
08-20-2005, 16:19
Of course I have noticed how long men's shorts seem to have gotten over the past years, but I always could count on my Patagonia Baggies for hiking. I went to order some new ones and I notice that the inseams are 5 inches. My old baggies are 3 inches. I went ahead and checked the Standup Shorts which I love. and the new one's have a 7 inch inseam compared to 5 inch on my old ones. I looked at other shorts and it looks like they are even longer - even up to 9 inches. What's going on? Why do men want all that extra material flappping at their legs?

Jaybird
08-20-2005, 16:57
Yo billdnc:

go to WALMART, grab you some mesh lined-gym shorts & be done with it! :D

nuff said

sierraDoug
08-20-2005, 16:58
I have the same gripe trying to buy shorts for hiking or tennis. Blame fashion, which follows the NBA, I figure.

Hauger
08-20-2005, 17:04
Personally, I'm glad hiking shorts are getting longer. I can't say I was excited about flashing my blindingly whites thighs every step of my hikes.

Belew
08-20-2005, 17:54
Because of a personal reason, I can't wear anything less than a 6 inch inseam. I have been told 2, 2 and a half and 3 inch inseams can be found at magnumpi.com. They even offer nylon or a 86% Polyester / 14% Rayon blend now. Does that kick a$$ or what?

capehiker
08-20-2005, 20:22
I had to smile at this thread. I just went shopping for athletic shorts today. Man, are they getting longer.

On my way home I stopped at Wal Mart for some odds and ends. I browsed through the men's sporting section and there were a bunch of styles that were not long. I could've knocked myself out for not thinking of stopping there first.

TwoForty
08-20-2005, 21:20
I'm 6'2", so I like the 9" inseams on shorts :dunno:
I don't wear them like an NBA player. They hit just over the knees.

fiddlehead
08-21-2005, 00:57
Of course the style is getting longer and who can fight that? I'd have to say; 'consider yourselves lucky" that they are getting longer. I live in a heavily touristy area (although not my immediate surroundings) and they are mostly Europeans. The Euro men wear biking shorts to the beach and sometimes around town too. the long short style is a lot more pleasing to the eye than this bikini style i see way too much.
Runners tend to wear shorter shorts than the style so you may want to try runners shorts. they are usually made of soft comfortable material.

Nightwalker
08-21-2005, 01:29
Wal-Mart has Starter running shorts with liners and short legs. I bought mine a few months ago, but they're probably still there in the end of season section.

Newb
08-21-2005, 10:43
I've taken to wearing a loin-cloth when I'm in the woods. I've got my pack weight down to 5 ounces, which is the weight of my jungle knife (it's all I carry now).

justusryans
08-21-2005, 10:53
I've taken to wearing a loin-cloth when I'm in the woods. I've got my pack weight down to 5 ounces, which is the weight of my jungle knife (it's all I carry now).
you know if you cut the handle in half and file the blade down you can save at least 2 to 3 oz. Do you really need the loin cloth? couldn't you just super glue dryer lint to the areas?:D

DavidNH
08-21-2005, 14:53
I never really could understand why men or any one like to where shorts that are so long they are practically not shorts. I mean what is the point? If it is hot and you want to wear shorts then wear shorts!!

Yep...when I wear shorts..i like them short. otherwise..I may as well wear longs..like if it is to cold for shorts!

REI makes a great pair of quick dry shorts that even have their own belt. Around 25$. LL bean also makes good quick dry shorts that are very rugged though a bit pricy. I would guess both have no more than a 5 inch inseam.

I suppose if heat is the issue..running shorts would do the job...though I am not sure how they will stand up to the rigors of backpacking in rugged terrain.

nhhiker

Lanthar Mandragoran
08-21-2005, 15:09
Personally, I'm glad hiking shorts are getting longer. I can't say I was excited about flashing my blindingly whites thighs every step of my hikes.
I'm pretty sure no-one else is excited about you flashing your blingingly whites either.

I can't say I like super-longs but I don't like short-shorts either...

Just Jeff
08-21-2005, 15:29
Do you really need the loin cloth? couldn't you just super glue dryer lint to the areas?:D
Use it as emergency fire-starter and it's multi-use! The ultimate in UL clothing...think I could market that?

justusryans
08-21-2005, 15:48
I don't know Jeff... could start a bush fire and then where would you be? just hanging out in the cold!

Tha Wookie
08-21-2005, 16:40
I actually like the long, but not past the knees.... the shorter ones can be too revealing... I know someone who hikes in Patgonia silweight boxers. That did not work for me.....

I also tried Ray Jardine's idea using spandex, but there was no air flow, and several of my regular male hiking partners refuse to hike behind me...:eek:

So I wore one pair of Patagonia baggie shorts until they were litterally in shreds... once again too revealing... but I DID get 4300 miles out of them!

Now I can't find them... everything has those infernal swimming panties.

But, alas, I found a pair from Sierra Designs of all folks that work like a charm.... although I've only done about 100 miles in them so far

Big Dawg
08-21-2005, 17:29
I suppose if heat is the issue..running shorts would do the job...though I am not sure how they will stand up to the rigors of backpacking in rugged terrain.

nhhiker
Andy put them (running shorts) up to the task,, & they seemed to hold up pretty well...... www.andrewskurka.com

Daddy Longlegs
08-21-2005, 21:07
It's going back to the late 80's when long was in... long looks better in public but on the trail I want shorts that are short and if I want long I wear long pants.