PDA

View Full Version : New Jersey AT hike Questions

McKinnon99879
11-04-2013, 20:28
Alright, I have a few questions, I did a few quick searches and saw nothing recent. I am doing a 4 day hike with a bunch of buddies in a few weeks, we are all in pretty decent shape, I have hiked parts of the AT but only for day hikes. In four days, 3 nights, how many miles can we expect to cover, and what would be a good portion of the trail to do. I love the section up near high point so anywhere up there is good for us. Also how is new jersey when it comes to camping while out hiking? do you need permits? should we just go up to NY? Basically all im asking is, what is a good 4 day trip on the AT and what should we watch for in terms of camping? Thanks in advance guys, sorry for all the questions right off the bat :eek:

moldy
11-04-2013, 21:10
You can do all of New Jersey in two 3-day hikes. DWG to High point in the Southern half and High Point to Vernon in the North. They are very different hikes. The South is a big beautiful ridgewalk with wide open views and meadows and it's more wild. The North is across the grain of the Appalachians with rolling hills, woodland and swamps. Both offer great hikes. If it were me and the hike was for mid November I would go from DWG to High Point. If you camp in the South you will be in soft grass with tent-side views. In the North you will be in the woods with no views. No fires either way. No permits. You can camp pretty much wherever you want. They do have some ponds and lakes that forbid camping.

McKinnon99879
11-04-2013, 21:34
Okay so I know where the entrance/exit is at high point. where is a good place to park for 4 days at DWG?

McKinnon99879
11-04-2013, 21:34
Thank you for that info btw! =]

bobp
11-04-2013, 21:46
DWG has parking at Dunfield Creek and at the NPS Building. Both are just off Rt 80, so they may not provide much security. The Worthington State forest office off Old Mine Rd. has parking, and it is off the beaten path. Check with the rangers. You will either cut your hike short by heading down from Sunfish Pond, or go long by walking down Old Mine Rd. (or down the old railroad right-of-way for a bit, and then Old Mine Rd.).

coach lou
11-04-2013, 21:50
Okay so I know where the entrance/exit is at high point. where is a good place to park for 4 days at DWG?

The Water Gap park has overnite and i have left my car in the north side lot for 3 nites. I have also parked at Culvers gap....safely. I also vote for the ridge walk, wonderful section. There are many areas to camp. If you go south bound I would suggest staying at The Backpacker site. Again...no fires

McKinnon99879
11-04-2013, 21:56
Awesome, if we go the long way, like you suggested, how many miles of trail is there roughly from that point? (sorry its hard to find a good map for some reason.)

McKinnon99879
11-04-2013, 21:58
And just for some assurance, the exit to the AT at high point is actually across the street from all the parking and recreational areas right?

bobp
11-04-2013, 22:06
At High Point, parking is off Rt 23, on the left side as you head northbound to Port Jervis, just before you hit the park office. In the past, it was suggested that you check in, leave a note, or fill out a card at the office before leaving your car. There are a couple of trailheads at that parking lot, so just check to make sure you see the white blazes :^).

McKinnon99879
11-04-2013, 22:16
okay so there is an entrance to the AT from the PA side park headquarters which also has parking? (just double checking everything, im the in charge of details of our group) How many miles worth of trail is it from DWG to high point?

coach lou
11-04-2013, 22:16
Awesome, if we go the long way, like you suggested, how many miles of trail is there roughly from that point? (sorry its hard to find a good map for some reason.)

No more than 3 down to parking lot....perfect for last day as a travel day......you are right there on the highway.

coach lou
11-04-2013, 22:17
okay so there is an entrance to the AT from the PA side park headquarters which also has parking? (just double checking everything, im the in charge of details of our group) How many miles worth of trail is it from DWG to high point?

Leanthree
11-04-2013, 22:33

If you aren't aware, http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/find-a-hike/interactive-map is the google map with AT overlay.

To the OP, I did NJ in a 5 day section hike this July and it was just a bit too far for going from office to trail. I am 27 and in good shape but my feet wish I had one more day to do it. I really enjoyed the NJ section and I am sure once you do 4 days on it you will want to spend a weekend to finish it up.

Generally, it is a pretty easy state with the south being mostly flat but a bit rocky and the north being a bit hilly but nothing too bad. The first day into New York has some cool rock formations and nice views of Greenwood Lake so don't be too tied to state boundaries.

McKinnon99879
11-05-2013, 05:23
Thanks everyone, so I brought up 44 miles to the guys and they think that's too long, we have some photographers among us and we're really going to take our time apparently, is there a shorter hike between the DWG and highpoint?

coach lou
11-05-2013, 06:01
Start or finish in Culvers Gap.

coach lou
11-05-2013, 07:56
Thanks everyone, so I brought up 44 miles to the guys and they think that's too long, we have some photographers among us and we're really going to take our time apparently, is there a shorter hike between the DWG and highpoint?
I would love to see the pics from a good photographer, of the view of the ridge N-S from either tower!

moldy
11-05-2013, 08:48
Culvers gap is too close to High Point at 14 miles on a 4 day 3 night hike, that's 3.something per day. At least start at the MOC which you can drive to via Blairstown NJ. That will make it about a 25 total. Tell your buddies that there are several 85 year old grandmothers right here on Whiteblaze who can make this hike in a day and a half or better......

Rain Man
11-05-2013, 09:31
Alright, I have a few questions, I did a few quick searches and saw nothing recent.

I hiked the AT through NJ last month. Here's the thread, if you're interested. It includes a link to the photo album I posted.
NJ AT Columbus Day week hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?98734-NJ-AT-Columbus-Day-week-2013&highlight=)

Hope this helps.

Rain:sunMan

McKinnon99879
11-05-2013, 18:31
Okay cool ill talk to them, where can I find information on MOC, I looked it up and haven't found what you're talking about. (very sorry for all the, what im assuming is, very stupid questions.)

perrito
11-05-2013, 18:58
MOC is the Mohican Outdoor Center. It's an Appalachian Mountain Club facility.

Sent via Tapatalk

McKinnon99879
11-05-2013, 22:05
Thanks so much guys, probably the most helpful forum I've ever been on.

jbullock78
11-07-2013, 09:09
Hey all,
I wanted to piggyback on this thread, as I am planning a 4 day 3 night NJ AT hike as well starting after Christmas. I was thinking of heading SOBO due to shelter availability. The main question I have is mileage in a day. I am not in super-shape, just "normal" office drone. The longest hike I have done is 17 miles in 1 day in MD on the AT. Now, I was dead after that, but it was done. I was planning on 13 miles a day for a total of 52 miles.
Question: Given the short daylight hours do you folks think this is manageable (hour lunchbreak/bathroom breaks etc)? There is 9.5 hours of daylight and I don't want to be rushed to get to the next shelter before dark.
Any input/experience would be awesome-
Thanks,
James
Tentative schedule:

Total Miles

WayPoints

Daily Totals

Longhouse Drive Begin

Wawayanda Shelter, NJ

Pochuck Mountain Shelter, NJ Night Day 1

High Point Shelter, NJ Night Day 2

Rutherford Shelter Side Trail, NJ

Mashipacong Shelter, NJ

Gren Anderson Shelter Side Trail, NJ Night Day 3

Brink RD Shelter Side Trail, NJ

Blue Mountain Lakes Road

perrito
11-07-2013, 19:08
Looks like a good plan depending on you and the trail conditions. I wouldn't want to go down Wawayanda Mtn. on an icy trail. Just start out early each day and you'll have plenty of time to get to your next shelter.

Sent via Tapatalk

bobp
11-07-2013, 19:51
Jbullock78 -- Get the NYNJTC maps, especially for your High Point to Gren Anderson stretch. There are a number of non-AT options in that area that can make for an easier or more interesting trip. For ease, for example, the AT between the High Point Monument and the park office is a tedious stretch of ankle-breakers with one or two good views (if the weather cooperates). You could just take the road that mostly parallels the trail and grab a Coke at the beach area. The AT from the park office to the Rutherford shelter blue trail can be rough (at one time, it had a lot of fallen trees), but a few of the alternate trails are easier and meet up with the AT. You could even walk Sawmill Rd., which parallels the AT, and catch the AT at Deckertown Pike. If you need to put an easy day into the middle of your trip, this is pretty much the only stretch that will let you do that.

The Pochuck-to-High Point stretch shouldn't be bad, but bear in mind that it is pretty much uphill all the way, so your pace may suffer.

Looks like a great trip. Enjoy!

ezdoesit
11-07-2013, 23:43
I'll note one thing being that your going south when you get to Pochuck Mountain Shelter you will have to go another 1/2 mile down the mountain to get to a side trail to a house to get your water then hike back up to the shelter so this is something for you to think about.
Also make sure you stop at the office at Wawayanda to get your water and yes another 1/2 mile to the shelter so you don't want to back track.
Hope this helps you out.

no-name
11-08-2013, 09:58
Get your water at the stream before climbing to Pochuck Mountain Shelter when going SOBO. I did a similar hike recently. I started around 11am at Route 94 Vernon and slept at Pochuck the first night, then Highpoint, then Gren Andersen, then an easy few miles to Route 206 Culvers Gap to be done. You would need to start early on Day 1 to do that first day.
I'll note one thing being that your going south when you get to Pochuck Mountain Shelter you will have to go another 1/2 mile down the mountain to get to a side trail to a house to get your water then hike back up to the shelter so this is something for you to think about.
Also make sure you stop at the office at Wawayanda to get your water and yes another 1/2 mile to the shelter so you don't want to back track.
Hope this helps you out.

JansportD2
11-08-2013, 19:46
The Mohican Outdoor Center has tent sites and bunks. Showers for $5. I stayed in a tent there last weekend. They were serving dinner in the lodge last Saturday.

McKinnon99879
11-13-2013, 08:47
Is there any good water sources between MOC and high poiny? I have one of those nice hand pump filters. I'm hoping I dont need to bring a ton of water and I can just fill my bladder with streams and stuff.

Rain Man
11-13-2013, 14:43
Is there any good water sources between MOC and high poiny?

We had no problem with water last month, though benefited from trail angel leaving water in bear box at Maschicapong Shelter.

Rain Man