PDA

View Full Version : Where to end GA section hike

perrito
11-05-2013, 00:23
With the intention of completing GA, where is the most accessible place north of the border to end a section hike and get a shuttle out?

max patch
11-05-2013, 00:34
Deep Gap, NC is 7 miles N of the GA/NC border. And you have a couple choices when your get there.

1. Deep Gap is reached by car via an excellent forest service road and your shuttler can pick you up there.

2. Alternatively, once you reach Deep Gap you can hike 3.5 miles on the blazed Kimsey Creek Trail which will take you to Standing Indian Campground. SIC can be reached by paved roads and would be a more comfortable place to wait for a shuttler to arrive.

googlywoogly
11-05-2013, 08:00
Be advised I believe the service road into Deep Gap is closed during the winter. You didn't say when you planned on completing your hike. If you are planning on using a local shuttle service they will probably be aware of seasonal road closings...

max patch
11-05-2013, 10:12
Thats true. Jan 1 thru Mar 15.

Kerosene
11-05-2013, 11:03
I've hiked out via Kimsey Creek Trail to Standing Indian Campground, and then taken a shuttle up to Deep Gap. Both worked out well.

perrito
11-05-2013, 16:34
Thanks for the replies. I am thinking ahead to some time in spring. Deep Gap it is.

Sent via Tapatalk

Razor
11-11-2013, 13:47
Perrito -- also consider ending at Blue Ridge Gap @75.3. Walk up to Bly Gap and then back 3.2 miles and down the dirt road to pavement. At that point one of the Hiawassee shuttle drivers can P/U . Gene Roll does this all the time and I think Joyce and Sally do also. Depending on where your car is and logistics ,it is a good option. And you have completed Georgia !

perrito
11-12-2013, 23:18
Great idea Razor. This may be better shuttle-wise. Thanks for the advice!

rich5665
01-31-2014, 15:15
perrito - If your interested SB and I will be hiking in May. Here is the planned hike. We'll be driving down to GA Thursday May 1st. I have family that will shuttle us to and from the trail.

Day 1: Saturday
11.6 miles - Approach trail to Stover Creek Shelter

Day 2: Sunday
13.0 miles - Stover Creek Shelter to Gooch Mountain Shelter

Day 3: Monday
8.5 miles - Gooch Mountain Shelter to Lance Creek Camp site

Day 4: Tuesday
11 miles – Lance Creek Camp site to Wolf Laurel Top Camp Site

Day 5: Wednesday
14.3 miles - Wolf Laurel Top Camp Site to Rock Knob Camp Site

Day 6: Thursday
12.8 Miles – Rock Knob Camp Site to Sassafras Gap Spring (Camping at the spring – Blue Blaze Trail)

Day 7: Friday
10.8 miles - Sassafras Gap Spring to Plumorchard Gap Shelter

Day 8: Saturday
4.5 Miles - Plumorchard Gap Shelter to GA/NC Border
3.3 Milies – GA/NC Border to Charlies Creek Rd Crossing (Blue Ridge Gap)
2.2 Miles - Charlies Creek Rd Crossing to Mount Pleasant Baptist Church - 280 Mount Pleasant Rd

Get picked up at Mount Pleasant Church

MkBibble
02-01-2014, 11:12
Standing Indian campground has a small store and a payphone that might come in handy. Plus, the kimsey creek trail is an easy and very enjoyable walk.

max patch
02-01-2014, 11:16
If at some point you intend to pick up where you left off then consider ending at Deep Gap (or SIC). This will allow you to hike the BRG to GA/NC border section only once instead of 3 times.

daddytwosticks
02-01-2014, 12:52
Standing Indian campground has a small store and a payphone that might come in handy. Plus, the kimsey creek trail is an easy and very enjoyable walk.
This is very true. Taking the Kimsey Creek trail to end an AT section hike is a great way to say goodbye slowly to an old friend. :)

Grey Ghost
10-11-2014, 21:22
Where is the best place to be dropped off on the A.T. at the N.C.Ga. line?I am going south to Neels Gap.Sorry if this has already been discussed. Thanks.

daddytwosticks
10-12-2014, 07:19
Best? Don't know. Easiest? Dick's Creek Gap. :)

Grey Ghost
10-12-2014, 14:04
[QUOTE=daddytwosticks;1914666]Best? Don't know. Easiest? Dick's Creek Gap. Thank you. Do you know how far from DCG to the N.C. Ga. line?

googlywoogly
10-12-2014, 15:01
If you want to walk south to Neel gap then the first place north of the line is Deep Gap in NC. It is around 5.6 miles from Deep Gap in NC to the NC/GA Border.

From Dick's Creek to the NC border (you'll be walking in the wrong direction if you want to go to Neel Gap so will have to turn around and retrace your steps) it is around 9.6ish miles (so that would be around 19 miles just to walk there then walk back to where you started to continue walk to Neel).

Another option would be to find a way to get to Blue Ridge Gap which is the last road that crosses the AT in GA before the border. It is about 2.6 miles from where the AT crosses at Blue Ridge Gap to the NC/SC border.

If it were me I would just start from Deep Gap in NC.

saltysack
10-12-2014, 15:33
U can drive up to deep gap but I'd just take Kimsey creek from sic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grey Ghost
10-12-2014, 20:38
Thanks for the info. You guys on Whiteblaze are awesome with all the great help.

perrito
03-17-2016, 14:43
What months are the buggy season in Georgia?

skater
03-17-2016, 17:23
Sorry, I can't say. I've only lived here a few years, and am still waiting for it.

saltysack
03-17-2016, 18:48
What months are the buggy season in Georgia?

I've never had much of a bug issue any where on the AT in the south with that said I mainly hike from Sept to April....only been on a few summer trips I never had an issue..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk