PDA

View Full Version : 2014 SOBOers thread

Pages : 1 [2]

forrest!
06-17-2014, 04:35
I didn't even go in the store when I started my section hike from there last year, since I had everything I needed, but I understand it is just a campground store. You can shop in Millinocket before going to the park at a real grocery store. Are you staying at the AT Lodge in Millinocket? They can shuttle you around.

redzombie
06-17-2014, 09:33
I am being picked up at bangor airport at 5am and being dropped off at Baxter at 7am. I doubt their will be anything open at that hour.

Corsac
06-17-2014, 09:44
I am going to do my shopping in Milinocket. Two nights at Katahdin cabins on 14-15th! Less than a month away, getting excited!

redzombie
06-17-2014, 10:26
yeah I think I will just ship two usps flat rate boxes to Philp at 100 milewilderness. I hear TSA is anal about alcohol stoves especially if they are empty or have residue. So I will mail my alcohol stove, food, and other miscellaneous items ahead of time.

redzombie
06-17-2014, 10:27
Also off topic, but anyone excited about hiking in during El Nino ? lol

forrest!
06-17-2014, 11:55
The weather is what the weather is. Looking forward to walking through it no matter what it does!

chase
06-20-2014, 09:27
I plan to mail one box of food to the AT Lodge. I have food to be stashed in the 100 mile Wilderness, food for summiting and hanging around Katahdin Stream and food to start my hike with. Its probably cheaper than carrying another parcel at the Airport and a lot less trouble. I stick my pack in a $5 Walmart laundry bag with a few pieces of cardboard inside. Then duct tape it up. When I climb Katahdin I may just stick my pack contents in the laundry bag to leave at the Ranger station. That way I can climb with my pack almost empty but still have the convenience of my pack with camera attached and easily accessible etc.

chase

srvand02
06-22-2014, 23:47
To all the 2014 SoBo'ers: HAPPY HIKING! I am a member of the 2013 class, starting June 27th and ending December 18th. Just wanted to say Hey and hope you guys and girls have as much fun as I did with my own SoBo family!

HoverJob

redzombie
06-27-2014, 10:57
12 more days!

forrest!
06-27-2014, 11:20
15 more days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwoSpirits
06-27-2014, 11:56
Good luck and happy hiking to everyone. I started on June 7th, and unfortunately had to get off the trail in the HMW due to a knee injury. It was short, but I still had the time of my life and met some fantastic people!

Have a great hike!

Honuben
06-27-2014, 15:33
Sorry to hear about your knee TwoSpirits hope it heals up. I just booked my flight for the 16th of july and will start the 17th. Looking forward to this trip, i cant wait.

TwoSpirits
06-27-2014, 15:49
Thank you. Katahdin was intense, the HMW was gnarly, but a simple stumble on a flat section can sure catch you off guard. Be careful, but savor every minute!

chase
06-27-2014, 16:25
That can happen to anyone. Hope you can come back soon and have better luck next time.

TwoSpirits
06-27-2014, 16:45
Thank you. Unfortunately my hiking is over for the year and will have to enjoy the trail vicariously by following others. And you are right -- it can happen to anyone. All the planning and preparation in the world can't keep some of the simplest things from happening. C'est le vie. Still wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

forrest!
06-27-2014, 18:00
Thank you. Unfortunately my hiking is over for the year and will have to enjoy the trail vicariously by following others. And you are right -- it can happen to anyone. All the planning and preparation in the world can't keep some of the simplest things from happening. C'est le vie. Still wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

That's one of the things I worry about, being 60 and having bad joints and a history of plantar fasciitis. All you can do is prepare and hope for the best. I've been training by just walking and walking and walking - about 5 hours a day, which is less than I'll do on the trail, but at home there are other tasks to do. I've found that taking a day off doesn't help - I actually feel worse...

TwoSpirits
06-27-2014, 18:34
Yep. No sense worrying about things you can't control. Like you said, prepare -- prepare your body and mind as best you can, and hope for the best. IF you do happen to get blindsided by the unexpected, it's important to know your bailout points and to keep up a good attitude.

Good luck with your hike, Forrest!

O-H-10 Lil Ohio
06-27-2014, 18:38
I am thinking about starting on July 27th 2014 to start southbound . Is anybody else leaving that late? I recently had a pacemaker inplanted and trying to work out the bugs with my backpack and straps.. I will get the doctor's approval on the 7th of July. I'm not new to hiking and have attempted my thur Hike twice before 2011, 2012 after I retired and nave completed 1200 miles of the AT. I am just trying to complete something I started , also because of the great folks I have met on the trail.

scs
06-27-2014, 21:10
TwoSpirits, this is my biggest fear more than anything else as I get ready to start my thru-hike: a random injury forcing me out of action. But I really admire your attitude and how you have chosen to focus on the positives from your trip. I think this is the way I need to look at it... que sera, sera, and all that. Anyway, I leave for Maine in one week and will be climbing Katahdin on the 7th! I can't wait to get out there and I'm looking forward to meeting some of you on the trail.

TwoSpirits
06-28-2014, 11:17
scs, I hope you have a great trip! I'll be honest: if I had known ahead of time exactly how it would go, I wouldn't have have done it...but then I wouldn't have had the other great experiences I did have, and wouldn't have met the people I did. There are moments when my attitude isn't very admirable, but I really do appreciate the experience for what it was.

Have a great trip! I look forward to hearing how it goes!

redzombie
06-29-2014, 20:49
10 more days!

Ron Haven
06-30-2014, 05:08
scs, I hope you have a great trip! I'll be honest: if I had known ahead of time exactly how it would go, I wouldn't have have done it...but then I wouldn't have had the other great experiences I did have, and wouldn't have met the people I did. There are moments when my attitude isn't very admirable, but I really do appreciate the experience for what it was.

Have a great trip! I look forward to hearing how it goes!Friends, thanks for stopping in. You know, I am not perfect and I am human. I am a one man operation that has probably contributed more to the trail than anyone I know. I usually don't brag about it but I was thinking a few days back, "I love Hikers to be successful and I will try to help them". I have saw in my life people who lye to them, rip them off, and all kinds of kukie stuff. In my mind, I have always been fair, a straight person and did what I thought was honest and right. I see some who don't think that is enough. I am to the age, I am proud for what I do for hikers in spite of those few. Actually look at my new web page for my hiker services Ron Haven Hiker Services. (http://ronhavenhikerservices.com/) Love you folks, take care and happy hiking........

redzombie
06-30-2014, 10:47
9 more days

Poedog
06-30-2014, 11:21
We started on the June 17th, finished the 100MW in 5 days. It was as gnarly as can be, but a great start nonetheless. Just got out of the Bigelows and taking a zero in Stratton. To all about to start, stick it out, the 100 mile is more psychological than physical, although it's pretty dang tough, mainly through the Chairbacks and Barrens. The fords are no problem, just take em nice and slow, and be cautious if you're fording during or just after a big rain.

redzombie
06-30-2014, 13:26
@poedog, whats the water situation in main, weather, bugs, ect? Details would be nice. 5 days to get through the HMW? Talk about beast mode.

Poedog
06-30-2014, 14:49
@poedog, whats the water situation in main, weather, bugs, ect? Details would be nice. 5 days to get through the HMW? Talk about beast mode.

Water is plentiful, as a matter of fact I've been carrying little to no water and just camel up at every water source I find. Carry water over the big climbs (White Cap, Chairback, Barren, etc). Weather has been great, save for a few days of rain. We walked out of Monson on Wednesday in the rain and trudged 20 miles that day wet and happy. Be sure to double or triple bag your down bags/clothes. If it's warm out, don't be afraid to get wet. Lots of boggy, wet trail, tons of roots and mud. (How far to the left or right of the trail can you go before you're technically not ON the AT?) Black flies are gone, but the mosquitoes are out in force. Hammock spots thusfar have been tougher than down south due to the overgrowth, so we've been hanging around listed campsites/shelters. These northern mtns are no joke! Check out more of our journey thusfar at unboundroutes.com (http://www.unboundroutes.com)

Honuben
06-30-2014, 16:17
Thanks for the update Poedog. 100 MW in 5 days is awesome. Keep updating that blog so i can get some heads up before i leave in a few weeks.

redzombie
07-01-2014, 10:29
8 more days

Just Bill
07-01-2014, 11:05
Hey SOBO's- good luck doing the trail "the wrong way"!:)
Keep an eye out for Joey "Flash" Camps coming your way and wish him well.
Same with Dakota Joe, who is likely about to finish his NOBO and YO! YO! his way south with you folks.

Poedog- congrats on the bikeride- way to arrive in style-enjoy!

Poedog
07-01-2014, 16:20
Hey SOBO's- good luck doing the trail "the wrong way"!:)
Keep an eye out for Joey "Flash" Camps coming your way and wish him well.
Same with Dakota Joe, who is likely about to finish his NOBO and YO! YO! his way south with you folks.

Poedog- congrats on the bikeride- way to arrive in style-enjoy!

Thanks JB.

Oh, and just a heads up, some of the nasty virus is hitting hard around the Bigelows/Sugarloaf area.

Corsac
07-01-2014, 16:39
It's getting so close, I can't wait! I was going to lounge in Chicago for the food fest 10-13, but now a two night backpack north of Chicago with my cousin instead. Does anyone have a recommendation for that area? Not big miles, he is off the office chair...

I was looking at north kettle moraine state forest area where the ice age trail is. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

See you other SOBO'S out there!

swiss
07-04-2014, 15:41
K-9 is currently at Andover (ME).

redzombie
07-04-2014, 23:46
k-9 ? Really? Hmmmm.....

Poedog
07-05-2014, 12:42
Came over The Horn and Saddleback yesterday into Rangeley as the remnants of Hurricane Arthur blew through. Wet and cold on exposed summits above treeline with windblown rain = hypothermia stew. Lots of arm-flappin' and heat generating movements on those slow, wet descents people, keep moving and stay warm!

forrest!
07-05-2014, 18:25
Just arrived on the Maine coast for a weeks family vacation before I get dropped off at BSP. I'm paying it forward, since I plan to be gone until Christmas... Still planning to start southbound July 12! One week to go!

redzombie
07-05-2014, 21:43
Forrest I will see you soon. July 9th

Old Baldy
07-06-2014, 11:57
Flying up to Bangor tomorrow. Hiking Katahdin Tuesday and heading south on Wednesday. Getting my packing done today

svblur
07-06-2014, 19:32
Left the trail for home in Stratton due to foot problems. From the get-go I developed super swollen and tender pinky toes as well as extremely painful arches. I foolishly dealt with the pain in the hundred mile wilderness popping ibuprofen; which made the problem much worse. Taking two zero days in monson as well as getting new shoes temporarily relieved the pain but the relief was short-lived. Hobbling and wincing from pain going from lean-to to lean-to broke me down and took the pleasure out of hiking further.

I'm defeated but not discouraged. I found that the people I encountered really made the trail special. I will be back, but will be making the AT a multiple year section hike. I met many section hikers that really sold me. Good luck to all of you and happy trails!

TwoSpirits
07-06-2014, 21:17
I'm sorry to hear it. I know first hand how disappointed you probably feel, but like you I came away from the trail with an incredible appreciation for the special people I met along the way. I hope you heal up well and soon.

Blue Rose
07-06-2014, 23:58
Blue Rose from KY here. Arrriving in Bangor via Greyhound on July 10th. Will be hiking Katadin Friday.
Setting up a couple food drops for HMW. Hope to see other SOBO's! Staying at Millinock before summit. Anyone else here Thursday or Friday?

maxheap
07-15-2014, 12:00
Greetings all! Michael G. (Max-heap) checking in from Monson. I summited Katahdin on 7/1, did some non-AT day hiking in Baxter on 7/2, completed the hundred mile wilderness from 7/4-7/11 and have been waiting the arrival of new shoes (mine were too small and causing excessive discomfort) here tomorrow before resuming. Mostly I'll be tracking my progress via updates to my personal blogsite at www.maxheap.net (all welcome), but really like the site here and would love to stay in touch with you all! See you in Springer!

forrest!
07-19-2014, 21:46
Started July 12th as planned. Completed the 100 mile wilderness (which is not such a wilderness any more! But still difficult hiking!) now at Shaws in Monson and will head back out the 21st. I've made a bunch on entries at trailjounals.com/forrest14

rocketsocks
07-19-2014, 22:10
Started July 12th as planned. Completed the 100 mile wilderness (which is not such a wilderness any more! But still difficult hiking!) now at Shaws in Monson and will head back out the 21st. I've made a bunch on entries at trailjounals.com/forrest14

Good deal Forrest, stay safe out there, and have a great hike.

sintixerr
07-23-2014, 17:21
I'm not doing a through, but a pretty significant section: Linden, VA just north of Shenandoah to Springer starting August 6. Will I run into any of you folks on that timeline?

forrest!
07-25-2014, 20:19
I made it to Stratton! Passed the 2000 mile sign today, which has a totally different meaning for a southbounder. Only 2000 miles to go!

ThugsBunny
07-29-2014, 15:37
I leave Friday August 1st and will start in Gorham, NH. So excited!

forrest!
07-31-2014, 07:50
Made it to Andover - I'm a little tired, which is an understatement. So I will take a zero today, my second one in 20 days on the trail.

SteelCut
07-31-2014, 07:57
Made it to Andover - I'm a little tired, which is an understatement. So I will take a zero today, my second one in 20 days on the trail.

I've been following your Trail Journal and I'm pleased to read of your progress.

TwoSpirits
07-31-2014, 11:22
Way to go, Forrest! I too am enjoying your journal -- vicarously enjoying the hike that ended too early for me. Keep smiling, stay safe!

forrest!
08-05-2014, 18:43
Made it to Gorham NH - I'm out of Maine! But the Whites are next...

Poedog
08-06-2014, 16:34
Made it to Gorham NH - I'm out of Maine! But the Whites are next...

The Whites are cake after southern Maine. We just got into Manchester Center for a resupply...man, the terrain down here is a welcome treat!

forrest!
08-14-2014, 03:14
The bad weather knocked me down on Mt Lafayette, and I had to bail. Had perfect weather over Mt Washington so I guess the karma had to swing the other way. Taking a day off to regroup and will get back up there somehow on Friday and continue SOBO.

lemon b
08-16-2014, 07:07
Sounds like your moving forward at a good normal pace Forrest. Offer for a zero in Becket in a real house still stands.... Lemon

A North Bound thru who stayed at the place I work had to be admitted to BMC Hospital last week tick bit issues. Since I'm graveyard shift two nights a week I did not wake him. Did not get trail name. But **** happens.

Giuseppe
08-16-2014, 19:20
Set to start on 8/21, if all things work out- looks like I will be one of the last to start after behind delayed a month. Hope to meet and see a few of the sobo's toward's the end. Safe passage and good luck to all. Giuseppe

Honuben
08-17-2014, 16:59
Looks like i might be able to start up again after an injury took me out in july. Anyone else starting the end of August?

forrest!
08-20-2014, 21:23
I made it to Hanover. The trail got instantly easier after Moosilauke - actual dirt on the trail!

I must have seen 50 NOBOs the last three days. Last night at Trapper John shelter there were 9 tents, a full shelter, and me in my hammock. I was the only southbounder.

forrest!
08-28-2014, 18:39
Now in Manchester Center. Vermont has been very easy and somewhat boring after ME and NH. But you still have to do the miles.

Still seeing NOBOs, but they are thinning out. I've been out 6 weeks, and there is roughly 6 weeks left before BSP closes, so I should be seeing the last ones soon, at least the last serious ones.

There are no SOBOs around me that I know of. Marathon Man seems to be a few days ahead, and the couple Snacks and Potato. There are many that I met that are either behind me or gone home. Probably some of the 20-somethings will catch up and go by when they hit the easy terrain.

But I'm still plugging away at it. I need more zero days than the younger hikers - one a week is welcome!

forrest!
09-03-2014, 07:39
Massachusetts! Next stop: Connecticut!

Honuben
09-03-2014, 08:34
Congrats forest, I'm hoping weather will let me get that far. 4 days to go! I've been checking your blog every so often. Keep on truckin!

BuckeyeBill
09-04-2014, 12:29
Massachusetts! Next stop: Connecticut!

Congratulations keep up the walk

forrest!
09-26-2014, 07:46
Made it to PA, ~970 miles more or less. Been picking up the pace lately. Hope to make it to Harpers Ferry 2nd week of Oct. Fall is rapidly approaching...

Demeter
09-27-2014, 14:24
Congrats! Enjoy reading your progress. The weather in the Mid-Atlantic has been positively heavenly!!

CELTIC BUCK
09-28-2014, 20:23
Forrest keep up the good pace your doing Great! If you haven't yet Pick up a ORANGE colored hat or light vest Hunting season is fast approaching and/or already opened in several of your walking toward states. I plan to follow same South bound in 2016.You are an inspiration!!

chrisschwing
10-10-2014, 10:17
Finished my thruhike yesterday! What an incredible experience. Happy and sad to be done. Going to put a photo journal together soon. Some photos here: http://instagram.com/chrstphrschwng

132 Days
June 1st through October 9th

-Chris "Sandals" Schwing

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
10-10-2014, 12:14
Finished my thruhike yesterday! What an incredible experience. Happy and sad to be done. Going to put a photo journal together soon. Some photos here: http://instagram.com/chrstphrschwng

132 Days
June 1st through October 9th

-Chris "Sandals" Schwing

Congratulations Chris!! Saw some really nice shots :)

forrest!
10-19-2014, 05:52
I'm in Waynesboro, just finished Shenandoah. Having a great time so far, but getting tired of the chore of resupply. I'm using maildrops, which makes it easier - don't know how the people who shop do it. Maybe I'm just old and tired!

There's a string of SOBOs around me (not enough for a bubble). Marathon Man, Kid, gravity & up in the air, Walky & Talky. But I only see them occasionally. Lots of section hikers to chat with though - that may change when leaf season is over.

Anyway, still working my way south...

dudeijuststarted
10-19-2014, 17:31
Great to see the SOBO's out there killin' it. Hopefully you're crushing Ming as appropriate. Hike or die!

trw0007
10-20-2014, 19:28
Congrats, Chris! I think we used to play ultimate together one summer like 6 or so years ago. I was heading the other way this summer, but I'm not sure if we ever really crossed paths on the trail.

-Thomas Williams / Medic

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
10-20-2014, 23:54
I'm in Waynesboro, just finished Shenandoah. Having a great time so far, but getting tired of the chore of resupply. I'm using maildrops, which makes it easier - don't know how the people who shop do it. Maybe I'm just old and tired!

There's a string of SOBOs around me (not enough for a bubble). Marathon Man, Kid, gravity & up in the air, Walky & Talky. But I only see them occasionally. Lots of section hikers to chat with though - that may change when leaf season is over.

Anyway, still working my way south...

Awww... just left there yesterday to come into Richmond to work for the week. Sorry to have missed you Forrest. Would have loved to have taken you out for a meal and run you around if you needed it. Hated having to leave. It is beautiful up there right now. Best of luck on your journey. Will be keeping an eye out for when you make it to GA.

forrest!
11-02-2014, 21:24
Its not supposed to snow on Halloween! Trick or treat! Got about 3" of wet heavy snow around 4000 feet north of Pearisburg. And cold this morning. It will probably melt soon though.

No other southbounders around me now that I know of. Saw nobody at all the last 2 days, but that was probably because of the snow. Yes, its cold and wet and uncomfortable, but its also beautiful!

TJ aka Teej
11-03-2014, 17:43
Keep on truckin' forrest!

Treton
11-05-2014, 22:45
Hey Forrest! This is the North bound hiker headed to Pearisburg you met near Docs Knob shelter. I just thought I would say hey again cause I stumbled upon this since meeting you. Hope everything is still going well for you!

forrest!
11-08-2014, 15:14
Bad news is that I'm sick. Good news is that I'm at a motel in Atkins. 4 walls, heat, and a flush toilet! Much better than trying to recover out on the trail.

BuckeyeBill
11-08-2014, 18:35
Bad news is that I'm sick. Good news is that I'm at a motel in Atkins. 4 walls, heat, and a flush toilet! Much better than trying to recover out on the trail.

Sorry to hear you are sick. Praying for your speedy recovery.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
11-11-2014, 03:19

Hope you are feeling better Forrest. Stay warm, well and safe if you've been able to get back out there.

forrest!
11-12-2014, 15:01
Got back on too soon. Got off again in Marion to go to a doctor. Now I'm at home recovering. The plan is to get back on the trail this weekend. One advantage of hiking home is that it is getting easier to get help and support from home!

Jeff
11-12-2014, 15:23
Best of luck on your finish. That motel in Atkins...Relax Inn was in sad shape 10 years ago. Cannot imagine what it is like today.

Slo-go'en
11-12-2014, 16:24
Best of luck on your finish. That motel in Atkins...Relax Inn was in sad shape 10 years ago. Cannot imagine what it is like today.

Yeah, classy place. Bullet hole in the mirror, cigarette burns on the dresser and bed spread. Burnt down restaurant out front. But, the room was warm, the shower hot and TV worked. What more do you want for 30 bucks on a cold, rainy day?

CELTIC BUCK
11-13-2014, 08:57
Yeah, classy place. Bullet hole in the mirror, cigarette burns on the dresser and bed spread. Burnt down restaurant out front. But, the room was warm, the shower hot and TV worked. What more do you want for 30 bucks on a cold, rainy day?

Sounds like the beginning to a 950's era Detective Movie

SteelCut
11-13-2014, 09:33
Got back on too soon. Got off again in Marion to go to a doctor. Now I'm at home recovering. The plan is to get back on the trail this weekend. One advantage of hiking home is that it is getting easier to get help and support from home!

Good luck Forrest. I've been following your TrailJournal since you started and really hope you can recover and finish your hike.

CountDooku
11-15-2014, 19:53
Just finished my SOBO thru hike earlier this afternoon with my companions Yak and Giggles. Big shout out to everyone I met along the way and to the others heading to Springer. Hope you feel better Forest!

-Count Dooku

forrest!
11-15-2014, 20:29
Great to hear that people are finishing. I'm recovered (I hope) and back in VA. Will start southbound again in the morning. Hopefully I am not the last one left after my week off!

SteelCut
11-16-2014, 06:50
Just finished my SOBO thru hike earlier this afternoon with my companions Yak and Giggles.

-Count Dooku

Do you know if Friday XIII finished, and if so, when ?

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
11-16-2014, 07:45
Just finished my SOBO thru hike earlier this afternoon with my companions Yak and Giggles. Big shout out to everyone I met along the way and to the others heading to Springer. Hope you feel better Forest!

-Count Dooku

Congratulations Count Dooku!!

CountDooku
11-16-2014, 11:32
Thanks everyone! I know that Friday XIII finished but don't remember what the date was in the Springer register.

SteelCut
11-16-2014, 12:31
Thanks everyone! I know that Friday XIII finished but don't remember what the date was in the Springer register.

Thanks for the update. And congrats on your finish as well.

forrest!
11-19-2014, 19:18
I'm not bringing up the rear alone. In Damascus last night were Ricki Ticki Taxi, Tom Sawyer, and Herc. I know Herc left this morning after getting new shoes. I'm headed south tomorrow, out of VA finally!

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
11-20-2014, 08:06
I'm not bringing up the rear alone. In Damascus last night were Ricki Ticki Taxi, Tom Sawyer, and Herc. I know Herc left this morning after getting new shoes. I'm headed south tomorrow, out of VA finally!

Thanks for the update forrest! Glad to know you are recovered enough to get back out there. Will be following your progress. Stay warm and stay safe!

trw0007
11-20-2014, 12:04
I stayed with Tom my first night in the Whites. I'm glad to hear he's still on the trail. If you see him again, tell him I (Medic) ended up using the map he gave me a ton because I proceeded to lose my guidebook about two days later. You have some amazing trail ahead. Good luck!

CELTIC BUCK
11-24-2014, 17:45
Forrest hope all is well stay safe & warm been following your Adventure

forrest!
12-13-2014, 17:25
I have made it to Georgia! Staying at the new Top of Georgia hostel, which is just a half mile off trail at Dicks Creek Gap - great place. Planning to finish in 4 more days.

TwoSpirits
12-13-2014, 18:44
Awesome forrest! I am so glad for you; thank you for taking us along. You are an inspiration. Here's to your last few days on the trail -- hoping you enjoy every step!

Sent from...wait, where am I again?

CELTIC BUCK
12-13-2014, 21:22
Forrest you are an inspiration for all of us; finish healthy& Merry Christmas

wornoutboots
12-15-2014, 12:09
For any trail supporters South of Buena Vista, FYI- there is a final group of sobo's who wld appreciate some love, so please keep an eye out for them. I just finished up HF to BV & my last might in camp (12/12)at Selley Woodworth I was with Clooney & Sobo Hobo & they said another group was just 1 or 2 days ahead of them. If you live near there, I'm sure they could use some pick me up, like an easy ride into town or a hot meal at a road crossing. Thanks & Merry Christmas!

mgeiger
12-15-2014, 14:42
I believe I passed you Saturday. A buddy and I were heading NB to the state line for an overnight. I read a bit of this thread. Good luck.

map man
12-17-2014, 09:23
Forrest, I know from following your trailjournal that you are due to finish today and I want to say congratulations! You SOBOs in the class of 2014 who have still been out there in late October and November (particularly November) and December have faced unseasonably bad winter weather this year. You have kept at it through that and also the illness that brought you down for a while in southern Virginia. I think it's safe to say you have faced more hardships in your hike than most thru-hikers experience, but you have persevered.

My hat is off to you. And since you are the same age I will be in my first year of retirement, you give me hope.

CELTIC BUCK
12-17-2014, 14:12
Forrest the Best Wish today as you Complete an Epic Hike

forrest!
12-17-2014, 18:33
I'm done. So glad to be home but a little lost about not having to get up and walk tomorrow.

A large group finished yesterday, including Slim Jim and Swish. Many were still at the Springer shelter today. Walky and Talky were probably right behind me. I know 5 who were still hiking that I last saw in Erwin and Hot Springs. Hope they are still having fun and moving south.

So I'm sitting on my own couch, in a warm house, with a full fridge of things I want to eat, with my lovely wife smiling at me. Maybe the thru-hike was worth it!

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
12-17-2014, 21:42
Congratulation Forrest!!

Marta
12-19-2014, 09:53
Congratulations, Forrest!

Giuseppe
12-19-2014, 12:36
Congratulations to all who have finished their sobo's and especially to you, Forrest for including all of us in your journey and starting this thread. As I take a zero in Damascus, I know of at least 6 behind me and 1 in front of me that continue on the journey south. If the truth be told, this journey has left me feeling of blessed and I am very happy with it. Giuseppe

jolim24601
12-28-2014, 11:24
:) Good luck to other SOBOs. Laugh and love at how many people tell you that it couldn't be done. Finished Dec. 26th. Wasn't "late" for anything as far as I could tell.

-Rodeo

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
12-29-2014, 21:36
:) Good luck to other SOBOs. Laugh and love at how many people tell you that it couldn't be done. Finished Dec. 26th. Wasn't "late" for anything as far as I could tell.

-Rodeo

Congrats!! Way to show 'em!!