PDA

View Full Version : 2014 SOBOers thread

Pages : [1] 2

forrest!
11-05-2013, 08:26
OK, who's going SOBO? There are fewer of us, and we face a slightly different set of challenges than the NOBOs, so I thought a thread of our own for checking in, getting acquainted, and asking questions would be a good idea.

I had originally planned to go SOBO in 2013, but life got in the way. 2014 is my year - I hope.

Trail name: Forrest (I use my middle name when on the trail - seems appropriate).

Start date: July 12th (how's that for being specific!)

I did the 100 mile wilderness in late June 2013, as sort of a shakedown hike, so I would know what to expect. It wasn't too bad. The first half was relatively flat and fairly easy. No need to dawdle, since it gets much worse when the climbs start. Mosquitoes were bad, black flies not so much. It was very wet, with high-water crossings. Anyway, I will get to do it again next July.

And I'm going on another shakedown hike in the Smokies in December. I did one in Dec 2012 too, and it was cold, wet and dark. But a July start probably means a finish in December (for me anyway), so it's best to know what to expect...

Tri-Pod Bob
11-05-2013, 13:16
Hi, forrest! My plans until about 3 days ago were set in stone.....SOBO on June 1st. Now, I may have to alter it some & do a 'flip-flop' thru attempt. Seems grandchild #4 will be arriving about that time! So, I'm thinking I may leave from Mt. Greylock July 1st & go north, then back to W.Mass for the SOBO finish. Good chance, still, of meeting on trail, I figure. I'll probably see you in NH & perchance be on track to go south when you are in this area. I'm in the process of getting the logistics for a 'flip' worked out, so, we'll see what the next couple of months turns up. Thanks for starting this thread for those of us that aren't 'go with the flow' types! Peace!

forrest!
11-05-2013, 13:34
Hi, forrest! My plans until about 3 days ago were set in stone.....SOBO on June 1st. Now, I may have to alter it some & do a 'flip-flop' thru attempt. Seems grandchild #4 will be arriving about that time! So, I'm thinking I may leave from Mt. Greylock July 1st & go north, then back to W.Mass for the SOBO finish. Good chance, still, of meeting on trail, I figure. I'll probably see you in NH & perchance be on track to go south when you are in this area. I'm in the process of getting the logistics for a 'flip' worked out, so, we'll see what the next couple of months turns up. Thanks for starting this thread for those of us that aren't 'go with the flow' types! Peace!

Good luck with the flip-flop - that's another good option when the schedule doesn't work out.

By the way - I'm a hammock-hanger too.

Tri-Pod Bob
11-05-2013, 15:13
Thank you. I'm glad there are options for me to look at regarding the AT thru attempt. After being a 4 season ground sleeper for 50 yrs, I struggled to get a good rest once I hit 40 or so. Especially in the cold months. I found the world of hammock sleep this past June & it changed my outdoor experiences around! I like to bushwhack more than trail hike & have often taken off for a week or more of adventure/escape. Usually after 2 or 3 nights in a t**t, the ache would start & I'd find myself thinking about cutting back on the duration of my treks. Grateful to have those thoughts disappear!

LoufromFWB
11-06-2013, 13:08
"Run For-rest, run!!"---Ok, enough with the Forest Gump reference. Hi!!---I just wanted to add myself to this discussion since there exists some possibility of a SOBO in 2014, probably starting in early August. You see, I'm actually a NOBO in 2014, beginning March 1!--The issue is that I hope to begin law school in August of 2014, so that's the probable end date for my thru-hike, BUT there is still a small chance that I may wait for the Spring 2015 entry date (which some of the schools I've applied to have). This would mean I have about 5 more months to kill, and therefore the SOBO option!--I've heard this is called a Yo-Yo thru-hike, or something to that effect. Obviously this is a monumental undertaking and will just as obviously depend on my health at the time---so we'll see. Anyway, it'll be interesting to note the SOBO comments.

forrest!
11-06-2013, 14:06
"Run For-rest, run!!"---Ok, enough with the Forest Gump reference. Hi!!---I just wanted to add myself to this discussion since there exists some possibility of a SOBO in 2014, probably starting in early August. You see, I'm actually a NOBO in 2014, beginning March 1!--The issue is that I hope to begin law school in August of 2014, so that's the probable end date for my thru-hike, BUT there is still a small chance that I may wait for the Spring 2015 entry date (which some of the schools I've applied to have). This would mean I have about 5 more months to kill, and therefore the SOBO option!--I've heard this is called a Yo-Yo thru-hike, or something to that effect. Obviously this is a monumental undertaking and will just as obviously depend on my health at the time---so we'll see. Anyway, it'll be interesting to note the SOBO comments.

Yo-yo hikers are crazy :) Hike Georgia to Maine, then turn right around and hike back! Of course there is this to be said for it - you get to see the scenery from a different direction on the way back...

LoufromFWB
11-06-2013, 18:33
Yeah, that's kinda the reaction I get whenever I mention the possibility. "Are you crazy?!"--:)--We'll just have to wait and see how I feel, or if I can (law school possibility). I do look at it differently though. For me it's just returning home. On any "normal" trip taken the norm is to return via the same route, so I look at it that way. Though the argument may be this is not a normal trip, for me this is simply climbing a mountain and then coming down---though the analogy may be extreme to some. Anyway, for now it's NOBO---that's enough of a challenge for my mind to tackle at this moment---only time will show the final outcome. See you on the trail---NOBO or SOBO--WHO KNOWS?:)

virginia jen
11-08-2013, 19:54
I'm Jen. No trail name yet.
Starting June 6th, going southbound.
I've hiked a couple hundred miles of the trail at home in Virginia, and can't wait to see what the rest of it holds :)

AtlantaDave
11-30-2013, 12:25
I was originally planning for a NOBO hike starting in March 2014 but started to worry about the financials. I want to make sure I plan for the worst case scenario and have enough money to get by for at least 8 months upon return if my employer will not give me a leave of absence. I started looking into a SOBO hike a month or two ago and the thought of it has been growing on me. A mid to late June start would keep me from having to break my lease and paying the fees (I had already added them into my original budget). I was thinking that starting on June 30th would be a nice 44th birthday gift to myself! I live in the Atlanta area (little over an hour from Springer Mountain) and would be hiking "home". The weather this time of year is pretty good for hiking. Usually 30's-40's at night and 50's during the day. A good time to finish up :) The only draw back being fewer hours of daylight. So that is the plan for now, and I know things can change between now and then. Heck, I could get laid-off next week and a NOBO hike will start looking real good again.

forrest!
11-30-2013, 17:49
AtlantaDave, I'm in Atlanta too, well SW of the city out in the country. Getting to the trail involves driving either around or through Atlanta for me. Not usually a problem unless I decide to go up on a Friday afternoon!

So I'm walking home too. I'm planing another shakedown hike in the Smokies in December. The lack of daylight is one of the worst things - the nights can be cold, dark, and long. Hopefully I will finish before Christmas next year - if I don't, you can just shoot me and put me out of my misery.

Nick P
11-30-2013, 18:50
Hi Forrest,
I am SOBO-ing, solo, starting around July 1, and ending (I hope at Springer) in early December.
I say "hope" because while I have spent some extended time on a trail, this will be a challenge to my knees and my old gear.
I started a journal at trailjournals and it has a gear list...spinoza is the name.
I can't wait to start, and hope to see and hear from you then.
nick

forrest!
11-30-2013, 19:58
You guys are all starting before me! Oh well, I can't start till July 12. That's OK, stop and smell the roses so I can catch up...

Nick P, I'll check out your trailjournal. I'm working on one...

Drybones
12-01-2013, 11:14
What's the start date for most SOBOers?

forrest!
12-01-2013, 11:24
What's the start date for most SOBOers?

Map Man has a really good article here: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?697-Southbound-AT-Hiking-Rates

The hikers that he followed had these start dates:

4 started in May
21 in June (54%)
13 in July
1 in August

Katahdin doesn't usually open until around the first of June. Then, if you want to finish before Christmas, you can't wait too late. That pretty much defines the window for SOBO thru hiker starts.

Nick P
12-01-2013, 11:36
The main constraint on my SOBO schedule is winter in the Smokies. I don't want to be hiking there in December...it's too bloody cold there in November.

I live in NW FL and also view the SOBO as a walk home. In fact, if I stay on schedule, I may keep going past Springer, and take the Benton Mackay and Pinhoti Trails towards home.

forrest!
12-01-2013, 13:44
The main constraint on my SOBO schedule is winter in the Smokies. I don't want to be hiking there in December...it's too bloody cold there in November.

I live in NW FL and also view the SOBO as a walk home. In fact, if I stay on schedule, I may keep going past Springer, and take the Benton Mackay and Pinhoti Trails towards home.

I agree about the Smokies in December. But I don't have much choice, so will have to live with it. I went last December for a week starting and ending at Fontana. It was wet and cold, with long nights in the hammock. I'm going again in a couple of weeks for 5 days.

I've done the AL Pinhoti - very nice trail. I liked the section south of I-20 best. It's pretty mild overall. There's basically just the one long ridge, and you're walking on it.

Dahoyt
12-03-2013, 20:24
Hey everyone, i"m going SOBO, starting July 1st. Very excited. Hoping to complete by Thanksgiving (ambitious i know), but realisticly know it might be into early December. Anyone else starting July 1st wanna start together, let me know!

CalebJ
12-06-2013, 11:56
I'm looking at a start date around June 15th. No telling how far I'll get, but I've got 8 weeks to work with. Trying to whittle my pack weight down and increase my endurance over the next six months so that I can comfortably hike some long days and cover as much ground as possible (while still enjoying the trip).

forrest!
12-06-2013, 15:20
That's great Dahoyt and CalebJ. I did my section hike last year around the end of June and there were plenty of hikers in the 100 mile wilderness - and at Shaw's Hostel in Monson.

scs
12-07-2013, 01:20
Another MEGA checking in.

I'm planning to leave around July 4th, and I'm already counting down the days! Hope to see some of y'all out there.

Nick P
12-07-2013, 01:44
Right on, Dahoyt. I hope all goes according to plan, and that we cross paths.
(I am bummed we'll miss the concluding stages of the World Cup, but that's my world.)
I am interested in your gear choices, however, as I have never hiked through "three seasons" before.
All the best 'til July,
Nick (Spinoza)

Nick P
12-07-2013, 01:46
All the best!
Nick

forrest!
12-07-2013, 06:54
Another MEGA checking in.

I'm planning to leave around July 4th, and I'm already counting down the days! Hope to see some of y'all out there.

I have one of those apps for my phone that does a countdown - 216 days until I start - yikes!

More interesting - this is the time of year when I will be finishing (if all goes well and I don't break something). So a year from now I'll be back on my home territory.

Drybones
12-07-2013, 13:00
I've done Springer to Harpers Ferry in three sections and I'm thinking I'll try to complete the north half in 2-3 sections going south and start the first week in June...hope to cross paths and break bread (or raiman noodles) with some of you.

Linesman
12-11-2013, 11:45
I'm planning to start from Big K around May 20. I'll try to clean up the winter damage for y'all. Can't wait to ford some of those raging spring creeks.

forrest!
12-11-2013, 12:04
I'm planning to start from Big K around May 20. I'll try to clean up the winter damage for y'all. Can't wait to ford some of those raging spring creeks.

That is early - hope Katahdin is open for you!

laurmol
12-12-2013, 11:51
I'm going SOBO in May, my partner is getting out of the military and we plan to leave Maine as soon as soon as he's ready. I'm nervous but cannot wait to get on the trail and make the jourey.

Dahoyt
12-15-2013, 16:05
I might actually start middle of June, I wanna be with the hiker bubble, and seems as though that is when most people are heading out roughly. I plan on staying in town as little as possible, drinking very little, and only splurging on food, to save on money, and have a cushion of cash at all times in case anything comes up. So excited to leave, glad to be a SOBO and in the route less taken with you all, its an honor. Feel free to friend me on here, and keep in touch, anyone wanna start together, let me know, open to starting with someone, or a group. I realize I will most likely meet people on the trail, but trying to line something up ahead of time. Anyone else reusing old gear as much as possible to save money? I am, it will cost me a few pounds in weight but willing to give that up to have more money. I don't wanna be one of those people to get off the trail because of lack of cash...

Zeke14
12-16-2013, 16:31
Hey everybody. I'm planning on setting out SOBO around mid to late May right after my umaine graduation. I live here in Maine, and I've hiked Katahdin three times already so I'll be starting just outside Baxter State Park. No need to wait til the park officially opens for the season. Currently it looks like I'll be going solo, get away from the world and back into the woods for a while before grad school. Anyone else in a similar boat? Recent college grads that is.

keystone_alex
12-17-2013, 10:10
Hey guys, I'm planning to summit Katahdin June 11 so I guess that puts me right in the middle of the SOBO bubble. Like Zeke I'll also be a recent college grad except I'm from and go to school in Pennsylvania. My hometown is only 10 mins from halfway so whoever is with me around then, get excited for home cooked meals and comfy place to sleep!

Dahoyt
12-18-2013, 14:23
Hey guys, I'm planning to summit Katahdin June 11 so I guess that puts me right in the middle of the SOBO bubble. Like Zeke I'll also be a recent college grad except I'm from and go to school in Pennsylvania. My hometown is only 10 mins from halfway so whoever is with me around then, get excited for home cooked meals and comfy place to sleep! I"ll make sure to be conveniently nearby Keystone_Alex haha.

Dahoyt
12-18-2013, 14:24
Also, I live 10 minutes from the trail in Rutland, Vermont, so whoever is around is also welcome to come to my place for a few days and rest up, home cooked meals, the works!

lscot023
12-24-2013, 20:13
Going SOBO and planning on starting the week of June 15th. I live in VA and get as much time on the trail as I can, but I'm excited to finally see the rest of it!

TwoSpirits
12-26-2013, 20:14
I'm hoping to start sometime the first week of June. I know the bugs will be savage, but I'm hoping water levels won't be too high. I'm expecting to be fairly slow, but I'll be sure to wave as you all pass by! :)

P Chang
12-27-2013, 23:44
I'm Jen. No trail name yet.
Starting June 6th, going southbound.
I've hiked a couple hundred miles of the trail at home in Virginia, and can't wait to see what the rest of it holds :)

Your trail name could be D-Day. June 6th is the day the Allies invaded Germany-held mainland Europe via the English Channel during WWII.

Honuben
12-29-2013, 04:03
My plans have changed tonight from a '15 nobo to '14 sobo hike. I will be leaving roughly June 12-15th. This will be my first long distance trip but I will be in good shape for it. My biggest concern is I've lived my past 10 years in Hawaii, so I'm a bit worried about the cold. All of my planning thus far has been for a nobo hike, and need to fine tune the change of direction and adjust gear accordingly.

forrest!
12-29-2013, 05:59
I did another shakedown hike, this time for the end of my SOBO hike - the Smokies in December. I'm hoping to be done before then next year, but who knows. Was out 5 days, did about 66 miles. It was cold, wet, dark. Saw, rain, snow, high winds, but also some clear blue skies. Temps from 25 to 45. A very typical trip through the smokies this time of year.

The main difficulty (besides the wet and cold) is that there just isn't much daylight to hike in. I always feel like I have to keep moving as long as the sun is up to make any decent miles.

Trip report here: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=440185

Forrest

MikeN
12-30-2013, 15:40
Fellow SOBOers: Hope to join the 2014 class of you guys (and gals). Not sure yet of my start date. Depends on a few things outside my control, but shooting for late-June or early-July (too bad our window of opportunity for starting is so short).

Looks like I may be one of the older ones in the Class of 2014, but that only translates as a challenge for me, nothing near to being a showstopper. I'm in pretty good physical shape for my age I think. (Though I can be unrealistically overconfident at times!) But I also have a very powerful motivation for doing an AT thru-hike, and I understand that usually trumps one's physical condition. (Hint: my trail name will be either "Colin's Dad" or "Colin's Pilgrim" and my current favorite song is Jackson Browne's For A Dancer; more on my motivation later in my yet-to-be-created Trail Journal.)

Like many who hike the AT—as I have gathered from my readings (several books and scores of Trail Journals)—I will be seeking answers to some difficult existential questions. Also somewhat typical (as I have gathered from my readings as well), I am somewhat religious, but more in the New England Transcendentalist fashion than in the Christian fundamentalist one (though I do consider myself to be a Christian).

Well, so much for a short intro. Hope to cross paths with many of you eccentric folks next year! (Doesn't one have to be somewhat eccentric by definition to attempt a thru-hike of the AT?)

Forrest: I read with great interest the reports of your two shakedown hikes, in Maine last June and in the Smokies this month. Lots of important things to consider in both reports.

Nick P: I also read with great interest your report of your recent hike on the southern AT (Dec. 5th Trail Journals) and the psychological challenges you encountered being a lone hiker. I'm sure loneliness will be a significant challenge for all of us SOBOers, social animals that we are!

RED-DOG
12-30-2013, 16:12
I always thought the idea of SOBO the AT and spending New years day on Springer was pretty cool, when i do another AT thru it will be a SOBO. GOOD LUCK and HAPPY TRAILS to every one. RED-DOG:dance

forrest!
12-30-2013, 16:20
MikeN: Welcome to the lonely Southbounders group. 66 is not old. I'm on the verge of the big 6-0 in a few days. I'm definitely feeling my age though. I'm not starting until July 12, so maybe our paths will cross at some point.

No difficult existential questions for me. The only deep thoughts I have while hiking are about my past - and my family's past. Mostly it's shallow thoughts, like trying to remember song lyrics or book/movie plots or odd bits of poetry. And there are always earworms to keep me occupied...

Forrest

MikeN
12-31-2013, 11:15
Forrest: I hope our paths do cross sometime next year. According to your "hiking resume" on Trail Journals, you seem to have a lot of backpacking experience, a lot more than me anyway, and I would welcome the opportunity to learn a few things from you.

Dahoyt
12-31-2013, 12:36
I like how there is way fewer of us...

fresh_start
12-31-2013, 13:27
Greetings everyone! My name is Tyler; a friend and I are planning a southbound trip beginning in early-mid June of this year, I have recently started looking into general preparations, such as gear and trail conditions. We have yet to begin preparing our specific logistic preparations but I have the luxury of living about 5 minutes from the trail passing through the Lehigh Gap in PA, so actual backpacking preparation isn't too much of a problem. Anyway, I'm happy to get acquainted with our fellow SOBOers beforehand!

Hot Flash
01-03-2014, 12:01
Well, my SOBO isn't on the schedule until 2016, but I'm watching and looking at it already. Just for interest sake, when you start out at Katahdin, do you plan on going up to the summit on the AT and then retracing your steps down, or do you plan on going different routes?

forrest!
01-03-2014, 12:20
Well, my SOBO isn't on the schedule until 2016, but I'm watching and looking at it already. Just for interest sake, when you start out at Katahdin, do you plan on going up to the summit on the AT and then retracing your steps down, or do you plan on going different routes?

I would like to take some other trail up, like the one that leads to the knife edge, and then come down the AT - seems "right" for a southbounder somehow. The problem is the logistics of getting to the other trailheads - long drive on gravel roads. So if I have a lean-to at Katahdin Stream campground (on the AT) getting to the other trailhead and back or the other way around is difficult.

Hot Flash
01-03-2014, 13:01
Yeah, we'd prefer to take different paths up so as not to retrace our steps, and hopefully we will find that possible. If not, it ain't no thang in the big picture.

Nick P
01-04-2014, 12:13
My plan is to arrange a shuttle to Roaring Brook Campground, having reserved a campsite there (sometime in early July) and take the Helen Taylor trail the 5 miles or so to the summit of Katahdin and camp in Katahdin Stream Campground that night, before moving on to camp and re-supply at Abol Bridge. I haven't made reservations yet, and don't know details on the shuttle, so this plan may fall apart, but as Forrest says, this just seems right for a SOBO. I don't like to start my thru with a full pack over Katahdin, which is the main appeal of the alternative. Besides, I love Baxter, and want to prolong my time and expand my experiences there. I want to re-visit the Knife Edge also.

http://baxterstateparkauthority.com/pdf/maps/RoaringBrook.pdf

Nick

forrest!
01-04-2014, 13:10
Also it's difficult to get to the top of Katahdin, back down, and then out of the park to camp - that's a very tough day. So reserving a lean-to at Katahdin Stream Campground is necessary for us mere mortals.

I'll probably get a lean-to for the night before and the night after I summit.

Forrest

Nick P
01-04-2014, 19:48
I'll probably get a lean-to for the night before and the night after I summit.

Forrest

This is definitely my fall-back plan. I'm walking some with my full pack on, but there's no prepping for Baxter in FL.

Danl
01-10-2014, 22:49
Playing with the idea of SOBO June 1st and Walking nearer to Home in Nashville.

wcgornto
01-10-2014, 23:59

I went up the Abol Trail and down the Hunt Trail (AT). They are fairly close together. Paul from AT Lodge took several of us to KS campground to drop our packs at the ranger station and to pick up a day pack. He then dropped us off at the Abol Trail trailhead on his way out of BSP.

Canute600
01-15-2014, 00:52
It is looking like things might work out for me this year to do a MEGA hike on the AT! Planning on starting the hike up to Katahdin on June 30th and would love to meet up with other folks if anyone is thinking of going that day as well.

Trail Name: Gravity (given this name on the Long Trail - it was lucky for me then, so I'm sticking with it!)

Now to just survive the wait between now and then...

forrest!
01-15-2014, 06:27
Now to just survive the wait between now and then...

Yes, the wait is tough for Southbounders. Spring will arrive, the Northbounders will start, and still we will wait.

Forrest

Jeff
01-15-2014, 09:08
I went up the Abol Trail and down the Hunt Trail (AT). They are fairly close together. Paul from AT Lodge took several of us to KS campground to drop our packs at the ranger station and to pick up a day pack. He then dropped us off at the Abol Trail trailhead on his way out of BSP.

Paul (Ole Man) from the AT Lodge is a great resource for SOBO hikers. http://www.appalachiantraillodge.com/

Corie
01-15-2014, 09:29
Hi there, my name is Corie. I am planning to start my SOBO hike June 17th. I am trying to finish in 4 months exactly (mid-October as an end date) .. is this crazy?? I am very fit and have been training, and have great lightweight gear (thanks to a donation) but it seems 6 months is the standard time to finish.

forrest!
01-15-2014, 10:18
Hi there, my name is Corie. I am planning to start my SOBO hike June 17th. I am trying to finish in 4 months exactly (mid-October as an end date) .. is this crazy?? I am very fit and have been training, and have great lightweight gear (thanks to a donation) but it seems 6 months is the standard time to finish.

4 months is 18 miles a day every day. Tough to do that and resupply. So you have to do some bigger miles to make up for zero days and nero days. It can be done though - lots of people have done it. Only you can answer if that is something you want to do.

DocMahns
01-16-2014, 17:46
Hey fellow SOBOers, plan to start my thruhike in June after I take my state boards for nursing as a graduation present to myself. Look forward to seeing you all out there and can't wait until I get boots on the ground.

DocMahns
01-16-2014, 23:58
Question for you SOBO hikers class of 2014. How are you all planning on getting to the northern terminus (I know hiking up to it!) as far as travel logistics go? As far as I can gather a flight to ME then find a shuttle service to take you to Baxter. Am I right in assuming this? What shuttle service are you all using?

Nick P
01-17-2014, 00:35
Question for you SOBO hikers class of 2014. How are you all planning on getting to the northern terminus (I know hiking up to it!) as far as travel logistics go? As far as I can gather a flight to ME then find a shuttle service to take you to Baxter. Am I right in assuming this? What shuttle service are you all using?

Good question, and I'm eager to hear experienced updates and details on logistics. I plan on flying US Airways to Bangor, ME, then ride Cyr bus lines to Millinocket/Medway and arrange (for the following morning, I take it) a shuttle to Roaring Brook Campground, Baxter State Park (for $35). I will hike to KSC the next day.

My main logistical concerns are the bus and shuttle schedules...those posted online seem kinda slim, and I hope that more options are scheduled for the Summer tourists.

No worries; we'll get there, regardless!

Nick

Honuben
01-17-2014, 00:53
nick, I'm using the AT Lodge sobo special. Flying into Bangor, bussing (via cyr) to medley, and through the sobo special they will pick me up and take me to the lodge. The cyr bus doesn't arrive until 8 pm, so it will be a late night. I plan on staying a full day in town and get another nights rest the start the next day as the lodge will shuttle me to ksc (through the special).

forrest!
01-17-2014, 06:09
One of the cheapest ways is to rent a car and drive airport to airport, for instance Atlanta to Bangor is about $100 a day - drive takes 2 days. Then bus to Millinocket and the AT Lodge package. This has the advantage of avoiding the whole TSA/airport hassle.

Forrest

DocMahns
01-17-2014, 06:16
One of the cheapest ways is to rent a car and drive airport to airport, for instance Atlanta to Bangor is about $100 a day - drive takes 2 days. Then bus to Millinocket and the AT Lodge package. This has the advantage of avoiding the whole TSA/airport hassle.

Forrest

I was leaning towards this idea as well. I know Enterprise has that whole "we'll pick you up and take you to us anywhere" thing, so I was trying to figure out a way to play on that.

Hiking4Wellness
01-21-2014, 03:26
Hi SOBOers, I'm planning a YOYO hike. My goal is to be in Katahdin about July 8th then head back south. I'm leaving Springer Mountain on March 1 or 2. I've been training on the PCT and areas around SoCal for seven months. My plan is to speed hike the NOBO route (go as fast as I can), then relax and enjoy the SOBO hike as much as possible. Hiking over 4,000 miles should be enjoyed. It's a dream come true to live in the wilderness for me. I hope to met so of you along the way.

Bluegrass
01-23-2014, 16:43
My name is Hank, and you can put me down as a possible SOBO for 2014.

I originally tried SOBO back in 2005, but had to get off the trail near the VT-MA border because of a stress fracture in my foot. Not a day goes by that I do not think about getting back on the Trail. I have been buying new gear and working out some of the kinks.

Probable start date will be around 1 July.

forrest!
01-24-2014, 15:42
Got my AWOL Southbound guide in the mail today. Looks good. As far as I know, AWOL is the only guidebook that has a special edition for Southbounders. For instance the AT Companion (which I also have) has to be read backwards (from back to front). But AWOL's SOBO guide has Katahdin in the beginning and Springer at the end (the way it should be).

Forrest

01-24-2014, 18:45
Hi Forrest! In your opinion, what is the best way to combat the mosquitoes? I'm considering a SOBO hike and was wondering if any mosquito nets would be necessary, or if deet seems to suffice. Thanks!

Nick P
01-24-2014, 18:57
Thanks for the word, Honuben. I will check the Lodge out.
Nick

forrest!
01-24-2014, 19:13
Hi Forrest! In your opinion, what is the best way to combat the mosquitoes? I'm considering a SOBO hike and was wondering if any mosquito nets would be necessary, or if deet seems to suffice. Thanks!

I did the 100 mile wilderness last June, the 3rd week in June. Lots of mosquitoes. I will admit to panicking a little when I first got out of the shuttle at Abol Bridge - I was swarmed before I could get my pack on. I was thinging, "what have I got myself into?" Many people were wearing headnets. I had one but didn't wear it - instead I just kept moving when the skeeters were really bad. I did use deet on that first day, but I got used to it as time went on and I got some experience. I wore a bandanna around my neck which helped. You gotta have something at night if you want to get any sleep - if you stay in the shelters you'll have to have deet, otherwise a tent or hammock with netting.

The black flies were rarer, but when they were around they were vicious - you look down and there is blood running down your leg.

So I wouldn't go without a plan for when you start to panic.:)

Forrest

Nick P
01-24-2014, 19:22
I can't believe you can get that sort of rate from Atlanta! I would jump on that, as I have made similar road trips. It's 3 times that from little old Pensacola, via Avis. I could fly to ATL for $100, but at that point, the flight to Bangor for $380 makes more sense.

DocMahns
02-08-2014, 17:35
Getting excited! I have about 99% of my gear now, I'm waiting for a couple final items to come in the mail and then the moment of truth comes.. I GET TO WEIGH EVERYTHING AND DECIDE ON MY PACK!!

Right now I'm sitting between the ULA Circuit and Catalyst, the deciding factor is going to be my gear weight,

How are you other SOBOers coming with gear accumulation and preps? Just thought I'd check in with ya'll.

4eyedbuzzard
02-08-2014, 17:50

ForrestEnterprise is more like $195/day plus drop off charges, etc = $400. Now add $120 in gas (35mpg) and $30+ tolls. $550 Maybe cheaper if you can find a few people to split the cost, but an airline ticket can be had for under $150 Atlanta to Boston. TSA is only a hassle if you insist on carrying-on your pack (get an old duffel, check your pack, and chuck it once you arrive) or are trying to travel with illegal substances.

DocMahns
02-08-2014, 18:02
Enterprise is more like $195/day plus drop off charges, etc = $400. Now add $120 in gas (35mpg) and $30+ tolls. $550 Maybe cheaper if you can find a few people to split the cost, but an airline ticket can be had for under $150 Atlanta to Boston. TSA is only a hassle if you insist on carrying-on your pack (get an old duffel, check your pack, and chuck it once you arrive) or are trying to travel with illegal substances.

For me to fly one way one person from Chicago to Bangor it's $320, I'm going to be flying with my girlfriend so that brings it up to $640. Flying just isn't an economical option for me.

kfl0
02-08-2014, 18:37
Just a few days ago changed my plans from a 2015 NOBO to a 2014 SOBO! So suddenly everything is much closer, and I'm working on getting all my gear together, planning logistics, and um, getting in shape…but I am also that much more excited (and nervous). Early-mid June but I don't have an official starting date yet.

Would love to have a buddy to start out hiking with, not a trail-long commitment or anything just someone to hang out with for the first bit

4eyedbuzzard
02-08-2014, 19:15
For me to fly one way one person from Chicago to Bangor it's $320, I'm going to be flying with my girlfriend so that brings it up to $640. Flying just isn't an economical option for me.Chicago to Boston is $90 on Southwest, Concord Coach bus from there to Bangor is $44

Honuben
02-08-2014, 20:16
kflo i got the same anxious/nervous feeling. Checking, changing double checking gear and starting all over again. I will start hiking on the 14th of june after relaxing in town on the 13th. I'm a bit older than you at 37 but for safety sake i'll be out there in that time frame.

DocMahns
02-08-2014, 20:50
Chicago to Boston is $90 on Southwest, Concord Coach bus from there to Bangor is $44

That's a lot more manageable, I'll have to look into that. Thank you for the post and the research!

forrest!
02-09-2014, 08:09
Getting excited! I have about 99% of my gear now, I'm waiting for a couple final items to come in the mail and then the moment of truth comes.. I GET TO WEIGH EVERYTHING AND DECIDE ON MY PACK!!

Right now I'm sitting between the ULA Circuit and Catalyst, the deciding factor is going to be my gear weight,

How are you other SOBOers coming with gear accumulation and preps? Just thought I'd check in with ya'll.

In my case it's more a case of fine-tuning everything. Ordered skins for my tarp from one of the small cottage industry places. I love those tiny businesses. I used to make a lot of my own gear, but now there are so many people out there making bits and pieces with just a little web page to sell their stuff that it is much easier to support them with a few bucks.

Take a look at the Gossamer Gear packs - I use one of those - if your pack weight fully loaded is 30 pounds or less they are a good lightweight choice.

Forrest

HikerMom58
02-09-2014, 09:40

Here you go DocMahns---
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?85547-ULA-Circuit-or-catalyst

DocMahns
02-09-2014, 11:06
In my case it's more a case of fine-tuning everything. Ordered skins for my tarp from one of the small cottage industry places. I love those tiny businesses. I used to make a lot of my own gear, but now there are so many people out there making bits and pieces with just a little web page to sell their stuff that it is much easier to support them with a few bucks.

Take a look at the Gossamer Gear packs - I use one of those - if your pack weight fully loaded is 30 pounds or less they are a good lightweight choice.

Forrest

Thanks Forrest, I'll have to take a look at it. I don't know if my full load out will be under 30lbs though. I picked up my box o' stuff today and it seemed kinda heavy....

Here you go DocMahns---
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?85547-ULA-Circuit-or-catalyst

Thank you Hiker Momma, always a plethora of knowledge!

forrest!
02-10-2014, 07:20
For you hikers leaving in June, you can make your reservations now for camping at Baxter State Park. That is, if you plan to camp in the park around the date of your summit of Katahdin. Unlike NOBOs, SOBOs can't just show up and stay at Katahdin Stream Campground. You can reserve a spot 4 months in advance, so if you are planning to stay June 10 you can reserve it starting Feb 10.

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/reservation/summerReservations.htm

Sam

CalebJ
02-24-2014, 16:40
I'm looking at a start date around June 15th. No telling how far I'll get, but I've got 8 weeks to work with. Trying to whittle my pack weight down and increase my endurance over the next six months so that I can comfortably hike some long days and cover as much ground as possible (while still enjoying the trip).
Some significant complications have been introduced so I'm not able to leave town for two months this summer. Trying to plan a BMT and Long Trail thru instead so I can be gone for a couple of weeks at a time and homeno later than mid July.

Nick P
02-24-2014, 17:52
I am trying to reserve a spot at KSC, but they're not answering the phone, and the online system isn't allowing it either. Will try tomorrow, as there plenty of lean-tos available on 6/26 and /27. Am getting excited!

futuretj
02-25-2014, 19:39
I am trying to reserve a spot at KSC, but they're not answering the phone, and the online system isn't allowing it either. Will try tomorrow, as there plenty of lean-tos available on 6/26 and /27. Am getting excited!

KSC Has a 4 month rolling reservation window for their online system. You'll be able to register for the 26th in about 6 hours and the 27th tomorrow.

Nick P
02-25-2014, 22:13
KSC Has a 4 month rolling reservation window for their online system. You'll be able to register for the 26th in about 6 hours and the 27th tomorrow.

Oh, right you are...thanks!
Nick

sekollbake
02-28-2014, 12:40
Hey everyone! SOBOer here. My husband and I have a reservation at Baxter for June 19. Getting nervous/excited!

DocMahns
02-28-2014, 22:59
Hey everyone! SOBOer here. My husband and I have a reservation at Baxter for June 19. Getting nervous/excited!

Welcome, my girlfriend and I are starting around that time, hope to see you on the trail!

Canute600
03-01-2014, 13:24
I just made my reservation for 6/28 and 6/29 at KSC! June can't come soon enough!

DocMahns
03-05-2014, 04:41
hmmm, something tells me I should probably register at Baxter pretty soon...

samfsmith
03-05-2014, 06:21
hmmm, something tells me I should probably register at Baxter pretty soon...

I'm not leaving until July 12, so it's going to be tough to watch and wait while all you June hikers get out there ahead of me!

Forrest

swiss
03-05-2014, 11:11
Hi everybody. I'll start around July 1st from Mount Katahdin. Try to hike the entire trail in four months - but with the option to extension :cool: Greetings from Europe

Canute600
03-06-2014, 20:44
Hi Swiss and welcome to WhiteBlaze!

I'm planning on climbing Katahdin on the 28th of June and taking 5 months to hike the trail, so imagine you'll be catching up to me somewhere in the 100 mile wilderness. Best of luck and hope to bump into you in a few months.

-Gravity

redzombie
03-11-2014, 13:25
Primary leave date is June 3, my backup date is first week of July. I will be the one hiking with the Great Dane.

DocMahns
03-11-2014, 13:26
Primary leave date is June 3, my backup date is first week of July. I will be the one hiking with the Great Dane.

Awesome! Hope to meet you both, Great Danes are one of my favorite dog breeds!

jsamsonlee
03-11-2014, 18:32
Hey guys! I'm "Samson", a 54 y/o grandmother, who hopes to start my SoBo section hike June 30th. Will be my first time to hike the AT alone, since losing my long-time hiking buddy 8 months ago. Last year, we hiked from Harper's Ferry to Mt Moosilauke (NH). Would love any advice or just a supportive smile would be appreciated.

forrest!
03-12-2014, 07:32
Made my camping reservation today at Baxter State Park/Katahdin Stream Campground - July 12 - 4 months to go!

$14 out of state car fee? Wow!

My wife of 34 years and I will spend the week before down on the Maine coast, then she will summit Katahdin with me and we'll spend that night at KSC. Then I am off SOBO the next morning!

DocMahns
03-16-2014, 19:40
Made my camping reservation today at Baxter State Park/Katahdin Stream Campground - July 12 - 4 months to go!

$14 out of state car fee? Wow!

My wife of 34 years and I will spend the week before down on the Maine coast, then she will summit Katahdin with me and we'll spend that night at KSC. Then I am off SOBO the next morning!

hey forrest, how come the late start? aren't you worried about hitting winter?

forrest!
03-16-2014, 20:09
hey forrest, how come the late start? aren't you worried about hitting winter?

Yes, I'm worried. December in the Smokies is wet and cold and dark. But family obligations pushed my start back into July. 13 mpd should have me finished by Christmas. I hope. So much depends on having good luck!

Jeff
03-16-2014, 20:34
Forrest will be fine leaving mid July...still plenty of SOBO's starting at that time.

HikerMom58
03-16-2014, 20:42
Yes, I'm worried. December in the Smokies is wet and cold and dark. But family obligations pushed my start back into July. 13 mpd should have me finished by Christmas. I hope. So much depends on having good luck!

Kinda like that Thru-hiker Video game! :D

Nick P
03-16-2014, 21:17
Hi Samson,
I'm a 48 y/o father of two girls, who (at least to this point, thankfully) isn't yet a grandfather. Starting a few days ahead of you, but solo and thru SOBO too. I'm slow-going, so am sure that you'll catch up. See you out there.
Nick

QUOTE=jsamsonlee;1859822]Hey guys! I'm "Samson", a 54 y/o grandmother, who hopes to start my SoBo section hike June 30th. Will be my first time to hike the AT alone, since losing my long-time hiking buddy 8 months ago. Last year, we hiked from Harper's Ferry to Mt Moosilauke (NH). Would love any advice or just a supportive smile would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

DocMahns
03-17-2014, 04:54

Well I wish you the best of luck!!

Dakota Joe
03-17-2014, 13:40
hey, im Dakota Joe and I am 530 miles into my Yo-Yo going NoBO right now and plan to be at Katahdin by June or July. hoping to hook up with a Sobo group or partner. I have a 2 to 2.5 mile pace in the mountains and 3 to 4 mile pace flatland. I can do 20 miles from 8 to 5 with climbs. I am already out here and will have 5th tier trail legs by the sobo run. I am flexible for pace if you dont have your legs. look me up at www.facebook.com/theadventuresofdakotajoe to see my winter Nobo hike or check me out and dont believe the negative whiteblaze hype. yes i started with walmart gear and have humped it all 530 miles and its still good. its not gear you need out here, its guts. just thought id say hi cause ima be goin sobo and already have awesome trail contacts and current knowledge

forrest!
03-17-2014, 14:59
hey, im Dakota Joe and I am 530 miles into my Yo-Yo going NoBO right now and plan to be at Katahdin by June or July. hoping to hook up with a Sobo group or partner. I have a 2 to 2.5 mile pace in the mountains and 3 to 4 mile pace flatland. I can do 20 miles from 8 to 5 with climbs. I am already out here and will have 5th tier trail legs by the sobo run. I am flexible for pace if you dont have your legs. look me up at www.facebook.com/theadventuresofdakotajoe (http://www.facebook.com/theadventuresofdakotajoe) to see my winter Nobo hike or check me out and dont believe the negative whiteblaze hype. yes i started with walmart gear and have humped it all 530 miles and its still good. its not gear you need out here, its guts. just thought id say hi cause ima be goin sobo and already have awesome trail contacts and current knowledge

Good luck to you DJ - I doubt this old man could keep up, especially just starting out. Maybe we will cross paths somewhere.

Ostrogoth
03-22-2014, 07:17
6/1 is around the corner, I have plane tickets, reservations at KSC and Joe Dodge in NH. I have allotted 16 days to get to Pinkham notch. The first night I will probably just stay at KSC. I was wondering if anyone has field tested the Guthooks AT hiker? Next week, I will test the app on the approach trail. I hope that even if there is no cell phone coverage my iPhone will access my location with gps under the canopying trees. Knowing exactly where I am, would, for this hiker be a tremendous advantage mentally because it would help me focus my attention solely on the next mile.

lumberjaime
03-22-2014, 19:42
Ostrogoth: Sounds like you plan to be off to a quick start! 16 days from Katahdin to Gorham is going to mean high mileage early on with no zero days to rest. Last year, I started 6/1 and made it to Gorham (with excellent weather conditions) in 22 days, including a zero in Monson. I'm sure you've heard all about the crazy terrain, bugs, high water, etc. If you are a strong hiker, going big on the first ~300 miles will be lots of fun and rewarding. The days are long and the hiking is inspiring. But I know staying at Joe Dodge is not cheap, so paying a cancel fee would be a bummer if you don't make it on time. The AMC has a strict no-refund policy for cancelling within 2 weeks. I would rather have extra time to kill in the North Country. My 2 cents. Regardless, I hope you have as much sunshine and mild temperatures as I did!

Righteous MEGA '13

Slo-go'en
03-23-2014, 11:15
I have allotted 16 days to get to Pinkham notch.

I'm guessing you've never hiked in Maine before. I hope your in really, really good shape. If the iPhone has an actual GPS receiver in it, you should not have trouble with location. But don't waste too much time looking at it, you'll need to hike sun up to sun down to cover 20 miles in Maine. Best of luck and don't hurt yourself pushing too hard to cover those miles. Help is a long ways away in Maine.

Ostrogoth
03-23-2014, 14:58
Thanks for the words of wisdom men. I not only have reservations at joe's but also at a number of huts so it will give me incentive to stay on track. I have not hiked Maine but I have hiked mt Washington a zillion times, when I lived in nh. To prepare for some of my other climbs I used to climb it with a 50 pound bag of rice in my pack,,the running joke was that there where starving people on the summit and I was on a rescue mission. I also have done many double summits of Washington up one side then down the other side then back over that's about 8,300 elev. gain and loss over 16ish miles in 12 hours I don't think I will have a day like that. I am in great shape now today I did 13.5 miles in 3hrs and 25 min. By June I will be that much better. Also, a week ago I did 13.5 miles daily for 8 days straight with a 20 lb back pack. As important as the physical conditioning is the mental game, I feel focused and strong in that department too. I will have a spot that I will turn on at the summit of K. I know that it won't transmit under the canopy but when I pop out of the trees it should send a signal. This week my wife and I are going on a hike up the at approach for a few days and I will report back my findings on that guthook app.

Giuseppe
03-23-2014, 16:29
Hi to all that are venturing out on the AT, will be joining you during the third week of July for a sobo. Finished a nobo in July of 2013 and had a great time coming up from the south, looking forward to heading down this time for a change. Guiseppe

forrest!
03-23-2014, 16:38
Hi to all that are venturing out on the AT, will be joining you during the third week of July for a sobo. Finished a nobo in July of 2013 and had a great time coming up from the south, looking forward to heading down this time for a change. Guiseppe

Finally, somebody leaving after me! Good luck, see you out there!

Forrest

Willow2015
03-25-2014, 21:02
Willow here. I am starting my southbound thru-hike a year early. I will start around the first week of June so I can take my time and enjoy my hike. I am also not very fond of winter backpacking. I hope to meet you all as you pass me :-)

tatanka
03-26-2014, 00:11
I'll be starting my SOBO hike on July 15th, so I'll be in the late-start group. I look forward to meeting you folks along the way! My trail name is Chin-up.

BRAFC
03-28-2014, 20:37
I hope to start 6/1 weather and park rangers permitting. If this is not possible I'm thinking of starting down trail, maybe at the other end of 100MW and doing a mini flip flop. Any one got ideas about this strategy.
I do have a tent site reserved at KSC for 6/1 night (which I will be happy to share).
Like some others would like to go up Abol trail and down Hunt, from what I have seen Abol might be a little tougher but shorter. (I will not go near the Knife edge).
If you go to100 Mile Wilderness web site you can arrange a SOBO special package that includes pickup in Bangor, overnight stay, drop off at trail head and advice from a registered Mn guide amongst other services.
Ready (mentally and working on the physical) to get going, looking forward to meeting you all.

cdg
03-29-2014, 11:10
Hello SOBOs. Starting 6/23. Trying to get ready in flat south Georgia.

Ostrogoth
03-29-2014, 18:49
BRAFC I am also starting 6/1..see you there.....I went up the approach trail today to gear test Guthooks AT app on my iPhone. It worked like a charm. I could see where I was on the trail at all times and it was easy to find out how far it was to the next campsite or stream. Also, I was standing at a fork in the trail and I could clearly see a dashed trail running off to the right and the approach trail was left...later in the day I was in the Amicalola visitors center and I ran into TakeThisBread, he had recently arrived from MA and was getting ready to hit the trail I think tomorrow, he was in high spirits and had a mean and lean pack. Hopefully I will run into him again in a few months.

forrest!
03-29-2014, 19:08
Hello SOBOs. Starting 6/23. Trying to get ready in flat south Georgia.

Find a football stadium steps to walk up and down and up and down and up and ... you get the idea.

See you out there!

HikerMom58
03-29-2014, 19:33
BRAFC I am also starting 6/1..see you there.....I went up the approach trail today to gear test Guthooks AT app on my iPhone. It worked like a charm. I could see where I was on the trail at all times and it was easy to find out how far it was to the next campsite or stream. Also, I was standing at a fork in the trail and I could clearly see a dashed trail running off to the right and the approach trail was left...later in the day I was in the Amicalola visitors center and I ran into TakeThisBread, he had recently arrived from MA and was getting ready to hit the trail I think tomorrow, he was in high spirits and had a mean and lean pack. Hopefully I will run into him again in a few months.

How cool is that? :)

All you SOBOers need to keep us informed. We can hook you up with some trail magic, if you let us know where you are on the trail. Have a blast! :)

sureaboutthis
03-31-2014, 10:35
Conditions permitting, I'll also be hitting the trail on 6/1. In the mean time I'm putting hours in with my pack on steep hills. I don't have a huge amount of backpacking experience, but maybe I can make the first few weeks less of a nightmare by physical preparation.

Can't wait to get out there and meet you guys!

amt
04-03-2014, 01:48
Howdy All! I'm still putting together a plan but as of right now I'm hoping to start SOBO early June. Trying to prep from Chicago is a bit of a challenge, I get a lot of strange looks at the gym in boots on the stair master.

Glad to see I won't be alone starting early June. I would love a stream crossing buddy!

Honuben
04-03-2014, 08:24
Hello Amt, i'll be starting june 14th, if you wait until then i'll hike with you.

redzombie
04-03-2014, 14:00
Just bought my plane ticket and made reservations at Baxter. Starting July 10!

JakeyJ994
04-08-2014, 21:29
Hey everyone Im going to be going SOBO this summer and Im super excited about it. Im going solo and plan on starting July 1! If anyone is starting that day and wants to hike together for a bit let me know wouldn't mind some company. Good luck to the rest of you!!

thbdc
04-14-2014, 20:46
Hey everyone,
Planning to go SOBO this summer possibly with a friend but most likely solo. My projected start date is August 15th. I know its late, but I have substantial backpacking experience (mostly in the American southwest but good chunks of the AT as well) as well as winter camping experience. Just looking for any planning advice or company!

forrest!
04-15-2014, 05:28
Hey everyone,
Planning to go SOBO this summer possibly with a friend but most likely solo. My projected start date is August 15th. I know its late, but I have substantial backpacking experience (mostly in the American southwest but good chunks of the AT as well) as well as winter camping experience. Just looking for any planning advice or company!

Fall in New England will be beautiful. And you are young and strong, so no doubt you will catch me (I start a month before you) with no trouble! You might want to just start out carrying the cool weather gear, since it will probably be September before you get out of Maine.

Ostrogoth
04-15-2014, 07:13
Hey everyone,

Expect the unexpected in NH. I have started climbing in a short sleeve shirt and above tree line there was a 25mph wind, 10 feet visibility (navigating via cairns is easy) and pea size hail ( also not a problem with eye and face protection).

SmilingSammy
04-15-2014, 18:10
OK, who's going SOBO? There are fewer of us, and we face a slightly different set of challenges than the NOBOs, so I thought a thread of our own for checking in, getting acquainted, and asking questions would be a good idea.

I had originally planned to go SOBO in 2013, but life got in the way. 2014 is my year - I hope.

Trail name: Forrest (I use my middle name when on the trail - seems appropriate).

Start date: July 12th (how's that for being specific!)

I did the 100 mile wilderness in late June 2013, as sort of a shakedown hike, so I would know what to expect. It wasn't too bad. The first half was relatively flat and fairly easy. No need to dawdle, since it gets much worse when the climbs start. Mosquitoes were bad, black flies not so much. It was very wet, with high-water crossings. Anyway, I will get to do it again next July.

And I'm going on another shakedown hike in the Smokies in December. I did one in Dec 2012 too, and it was cold, wet and dark. But a July start probably means a finish in December (for me anyway), so it's best to know what to expect...

Hi ya'll my husband and I are in the planning of a July 10th (ish) start SoBo :)

SmilingSammy
04-15-2014, 18:49
Please leave the first week of July! Then I can catch up, Great Danes are my absolute favorite breed! :D

Old Baldy
04-17-2014, 09:31
I am flying into Bangor on the 7th and starting my hike on the 8th. Hiking solo looking for a partner.

forrest!
04-17-2014, 09:55
I am flying into Bangor on the 7th and starting my hike on the 8th. Hiking solo looking for a partner.

June or July?

Old Baldy
04-17-2014, 18:22
Hiking up Katahdin on July 8th, then sobo

forrest!
04-17-2014, 18:53
Hiking up Katahdin on July 8th, then sobo

I'm a few days behind you then - going up Katahdin July 12. No doubt we will see each other down the line.

Old Baldy
04-18-2014, 12:57
Maybe so. I hope to average 12 mi/day through the 100 mi W. I am locked in on the start date since I already
purchased my airline ticket.

I'm a few days behind you then - going up Katahdin July 12. No doubt we will see each other down the line.

oilfieldpilot
04-18-2014, 18:56
Anyone familiar with Maine Wx for start of SOBO hike, end May, First June... please say what temps to expect daily for that time of year; day/night. 30-40 deg nights still common in early June? Greatly Appreciated from a very hot-blooded ectothermic lizard-type hiker who feels anything below 90F is cold...(ok, can tolerate 80) :) thanks. Somehow, somewhere I missed a turn into the Gobi... ended up towards SOBO on AT...damn camel!!!???!!!!

Slo-go'en
04-18-2014, 23:09
Anyone familiar with Maine Wx for start of SOBO hike, end May, First June... please say what temps to expect daily for that time of year; day/night. 30-40 deg nights still common in early June? Greatly Appreciated from a very hot-blooded ectothermic lizard-type hiker who feels anything below 90F is cold...(ok, can tolerate 80) :) thanks. Somehow, somewhere I missed a turn into the Gobi... ended up towards SOBO on AT...damn camel!!!???!!!!

You had best bundle up. Temps wander all over the place in late May and early June. You can have 20 degree nights and 70 degree days - often in a period of hours. When it rains, it will feel even colder. It usually rains a lot in June. Actually, hope it does stay cool and wet - that will keep the Black Flies from becoming unbearable.

scs
04-19-2014, 23:53
Well, it's official. Flight is booked, and more importantly tent site at Katahdin Stream Campground is booked for the night of Monday, July 7! I am beyond excited, you guys. This trip has been several years in the making and it really is surreal how close it is to becoming reality.

Ostrogoth
04-20-2014, 07:55

Expected average temps for that time period has been on my mind too. I have been monitoring the average temps and currently it is around the 30's for the low and high 30's for the highs. These averages of course will only increase over time and I expect to make my final clothing decision in the days just prior to my departure. You can get weather forecasts for that area through Baxters web site.

One other question I had was whether any traction like micro spikes might be needed to summit Khatadin on June 1st. My experience with treacherous icy conditions above tree line in NH makes me cautious. Again though the answer will have to wait until the end of May.

Nick P
04-20-2014, 08:49
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/90day/fxus05.html have National Weather Service seasonal (90 day) predictions. Looks good for us SOB's...above avg temps and maybe below avg precip this summer in New England.

oilfieldpilot
04-20-2014, 09:05
Brrrrrr! Ok, thank you for the heads-up... will come prepared, or if get too cold will find a nice hot body and slither in besides :) for the night. am well prepped for the comforts and joys the black fly brings to hiking as well...! Smoked the camel so he won't be accompanying this journey. look forward to meeting others along the trail - perhaps "waterways" is more apropos for this year!

Slo-go'en
04-20-2014, 11:50
BTW, for those of you starting early, like June 1st, you'll likely run into a lot of blow downs along the trail in Maine, along with the usual sticks and branches. It would be a big help to everyone if you removed branches and kicked sticks off the trail as you come to them. I use my poles to flick small sticks and branches off the trail - it's a never ending process.

Carrying a small folding saw to clear minor blow downs or cut a path through an obstruction would be nice. Stopping for a few minutes to clear a tree is a nice break and makes you feel good when your done. You'll have to leave the big stuff to the maintainers with thier chainsaws, but it amazing how much good you can do with a small hand saw.

Ostrogoth
04-20-2014, 19:37
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/90day/fxus05.html have National Weather Service seasonal (90 day) predictions. Looks good for us SOB's...above avg temps and maybe below avg precip this summer in New England.

Good info Nick. Let's see if the following paragraph from NOAA actually plays out:THE TEMPERATURE OUTLOOK FOR MAY-JUNE-JULY (MJJ) 2014 INDICATES ELEVATED ODDS OF ABOVE NORMAL TEMPERATURES FOR ALASKA AND A REGION FROM THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST TO
CALIFORNIA AND NEVADA, EASTWARD ALONG THE SOUTHERN TIER OF THE CONTINENTAL U.S.
AND ALSO ALONG THE EAST COAST TO INCLUDE MUCH OF NEW ENGLAND. THERE ARE
ELEVATED CHANCES OF BELOW NORMAL TEMPERATURES MAINLY IN MONTANA AND NORTH DAKOTA.

gollwoods
04-21-2014, 14:44
7/5 I am going to millinocket, start south on 7/7 after going up to baxter peak

gollwoods
04-21-2014, 15:22
PM sent to you, I have the same plan but jumping off at monson we can share a lean-to and shuttle maybe

Andy P
04-21-2014, 17:51
I'm headed sobo on June 8th. I'm considering going all the way to key west and doing a flip flop of the eastern continental trail. I'm hoping to make it to key west by the spring of 2015 and then having a month or two to hitch back to BSP for June and head north into Canada. This is going to be crazy, but I can't wait to get started. Happy hiking everyone and I look forward to seeing you on the trail.

Ostrogoth
04-21-2014, 20:40
Have you heard of this? I wonder if I can use Palcohol in my alcohol stove and save some weight.

(copied from their web site) .invented by an active guy...hiking, biking, camping, kayaking, etc. After hours of an activity, he sometimes wanted to relax and enjoy a refreshing adult beverage. But those activities, and many others, don't lend themselves to lugging heavy bottles of wine, beer or spirits. The only liquid he wanted to carry was water.

So he thought? Wouldn't it be great to have alcohol in powder form so all one had to do is add water? Since powder is light and compact, it wouldn't be a burden to carry.

Mark searched for powdered alcohol and it wasn't available. So he began his quest to create it. After years of research, experimentation and consultation with scientists around the world, he finally came up with powdered alcohol and called it Palcohol.

forrest!
04-22-2014, 10:47
I know everybody's getting excited. Those starting in early June are only a month and a half away. I'm still 2 1/2 months out.

Going out for another shakedown hike 4/25 - a thru of the Foothills Trail in SC/NC. About 77 miles. Supposed to be a very wet area with 75 to 80 inches of rain a year - hopefully not all in the last week of April!

Hopefully my gear will be tested and finalized by the time I get back, especially the rain gear!

BRAFC
04-24-2014, 21:35
powdered alcohol (ethanol?) would be a lot like dehydrated water.

chrisschwing
04-25-2014, 08:49
Here is my SOBO start plan as of right now...

5/29 - Catch Greyhound Bus from Durham NC to Bangor (express line).

5/30 - Arrive in Bangor that night, Maine. Spend the night CouchSurfing.

5/31 - Catch CYR Bus up to Medway Bus Stop. Spend the night at the Appalachian Trail Lodge (SOBO Special).

6/1 - Catch shuttle to Baxter State Park. Hike Mt. Katahdin and spend the night in Baxter State Park.

6/2 - Embark on rest of hike!

I don't have a trail name yet, but looking forward to meeting some of you!

Cheers,
Chris

sureaboutthis
04-25-2014, 13:33

5/31 - Catch CYR Bus up to Medway Bus Stop. Spend the night at the Appalachian Trail Lodge (SOBO Special).

6/1 - Catch shuttle to Baxter State Park. Hike Mt. Katahdin and spend the night in Baxter State Park.

Cheers,
Chris

Sounds a lot like my plan, except I arrive on the 30th, will spend that night at the lodge, and spend the next two nights at my reserved lean-to (number 6).

In all seriousness, I'd really like to remain with or near other hikers for the earlier parts of the trail...I've had some bad experiences with water, and having someone else around for stream crossings would be really nice. Hopefully we have similar paces. I'd likely try to adjust pace if it meant some company through Maine.

Jeff
04-25-2014, 14:51
The owner of the Appalachian Trail Lodge in Millinocket, Ole Man is an encyclopedia of knowledge regarding Katahdin, Baxter State Park and the 100 mile Wilderness. Be sure and meet him...he would love to answer questions before you head out.

Ostrogoth
04-26-2014, 19:16
To get CH3CH2OH from H2O plus something it must be a chemical reaction between water and some long chain carbon compound, I am thinking probably a sugar. Supposedly, Palcohol will come in single serving 1oz packets. If it's available before 6/1, I am going to try it in my stove.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oilfieldpilot
05-03-2014, 22:27

Cheers,
Chris
Planning on bringing some Gulf Coast TX heat up with me to ensure "K" opens up! Arrive 31May, 01 or 02Jun summit K and kick off SoBo ( flexible on the two days in case delay by BSP) depart SoBo hopefully nlt 03Jun14. Easy and steady.... been hiking the beach for the last 'mille' mi. so looking forward to the return to some land with actual relief... oh the irony! hope to see y'all there :)

Corsac
05-03-2014, 22:36
Tickets booked, Chicago food fest July 10-13, millinocket 15th, head up katahdin 16th. Hope to see everyone out there!

forrest!
05-04-2014, 05:28
I'd like to request that everyone keep this thread going after you get on the trail by posting updates and locations here. The Southbounders are so few and far between (especially after some hikers go home!) that it would be helpful, and encouraging, to know there are others still out there either ahead or behind. I know that I rarely sign or read the shelter logs.

If you have a smart phone, the tapatalk app works pretty good for reading the forums and posting. You can also subscribe to this thread and get emails when it is updated.

And when you post your location, include your online journal link, if you are keeping one.

See you out there! I'm still planning to start July 12.

Poedog
05-04-2014, 08:20
Lean to booked for June 17/18. We (gf and I) just finished our transcontinental bike tour and are looking forward to slowing down a bit, and not being nearly crushed by tons of steel on a daily basis. Happy to share the lean to if anyone else is planning a June 18 start date.

Follow us at unboundroutes.com

TwoSpirits
05-04-2014, 10:04
Agreed; good idea, forrest! I downloaded the Tapatalk app for this forum because Whiteblaze is a great source of timely information that could be invaluable while on the trail. Nice to have a way of keeping in touch with other SOBO's.

Good luck everyone; enjoy your hike!

oilfieldpilot
05-04-2014, 11:15
I'd like to request that everyone keep this thread going after you get on the trail by posting updates and locations here. The Southbounders are so few and far between (especially after some hikers go home!) that it would be helpful, and encouraging, to know there are others still out there either ahead or behind. I know that I rarely sign or read the shelter logs.

If you have a smart phone, the tapatalk app works pretty good for reading the forums and posting. You can also subscribe to this thread and get emails when it is updated.

And when you post your location, include your online journal link, if you are keeping one.

See you out there! I'm still planning to start July 12.

I purchased GutHooks full AT app discounted 20% for about $50. well well worth it, tho I will still bring sections of AT guide (i'm old skool never trust electronics in aircraft or wilderness:) This app also has it's own trail logs to post in. but realizing not all will have this, I will def plan to make brief posts here in WB about how my "swim" thru the currents and sludge fields is going, just like a much valued PiRep (Pilot Report); but it'll be a HiRep Hiker Report! Hey, maybe a new term has been coined?! "Yo! Doofus. Give a HiRep!" for those of us dumb enough to launch off into the 0/0 fog with embedded t'storms:)... HiRep, HiRep, HiRep! ("It's better to be down here wishing you were up there than to be up here wishing you were down there!")

ndstephens
05-09-2014, 12:09
I'm planning on doing a SOBO this year as well. Probably start around the end of June / early July.

One thing i recently thought of was how to pay for things along the way....cash vs card. I figure i'll use the credit card where i can for convenience and also to get points (which i can use towards buying new shoes). I'll start out with cash on hand, but just realized there aren't any US Banks along the route. For ATM use, do any of you recommend a specific bank with a good presence along the trail? If you don't mind sharing, what are your plans for using and replenishing cash along the way? Thanks.

nate.

Giuseppe
05-09-2014, 12:52
For cash along the trail, my recommendation is to buy something and get cash back. So far, even if the place is charging a fee for cash back, it is cheaper than the ATM fees.

forrest!
05-12-2014, 08:45
Two months to my start date! I know some of you are 3 weeks from your start date (or less). Let's hope that snow melts soon!

Slo-go'en
05-12-2014, 09:04
Two months to my start date! I know some of you are 3 weeks from your start date (or less). Let's hope that snow melts soon!

Slowly, but surely. It's finally started to warm up around here and a warm, dry wind takes a toll on the remaining snow. Lets just hope the early birds can cross those streams without being swept too far down stream in the process!

joshuasdad
05-12-2014, 09:15
I should have trail reports up in early June, as I plan to do Caratunk to Katahdin Stream Campground in sections starting May 27th or so. I'm pretty sure that conditions are better than the Whites near Slo-go'en, but the fords may be quite a challenge. Does anyone know the trouble spots? I've heard of a "Big 3" fords, and I think that Big Wilson is one of those fords.

I'll probably start my sections near Monson, where there is a bit more shuttle support, but may want to start further north where there may be less snow. Snow line in Whites was between 2000-3000, so the hillier southern sections of that hike may still have snow and ice on the ridges. Planning to bring microspikes (which should also help with the fords), but no snowshoes.

Linesman
05-12-2014, 20:31
Just hiked from the caratunk road to horseshoe canyon lean-to and back this weekend. Snow and ice were present in places, especially the north slopes, but there was no post holing or really bad slick sections. The west branch of the piscataquis river was almost to my waist and flowing, but fordable, especially with the nice overhead rope.

floatn76
05-18-2014, 00:54
Hello all, been lurking and planning a northbound hike for years. This is the year but life has pushed my start date back - makes more sense to head south. Feels right. Have KCS site reserved for 7/3-4, hiking Katahdin on the 4th of July (for better or worse) then Georgia bound (home). Looking forward to meeting all of you coming, going or sitting still on a bar stool!

forrest!
05-18-2014, 05:52
Hello all, been lurking and planning a northbound hike for years. This is the year but life has pushed my start date back - makes more sense to head south. Feels right. Have KCS site reserved for 7/3-4, hiking Katahdin on the 4th of July (for better or worse) then Georgia bound (home). Looking forward to meeting all of you coming, going or sitting still on a bar stool!

Welcome - I'm hiking home too (Georgia, SW of Atlanta), starting a week after you. Maybe we will see each other somewhere along the line.

Nick P
05-18-2014, 07:09
Hey Floatn,
Best of luck to you. I should be getting out of the HMW by the 4th, if Allah wills it.
Heading south makes so much sense for so many reasons--ok, for two reasons: crowds and weather.
Preparing for it, physically and mentally, may be the reasons so few people do it. It seems a more daunting task than NOBO, somehow, despite the fact that many of us are walking home, so to speak. I'm trying to find hills in NW FL to train on, as I can't be driving 5 hours to the GA and AL mountains every weekend no more, but I expect Katahdin to kick my arse. It will be hard to go slow enough to not do damage for the first week or so. Mostly, I'm trying to mentally prepare. There's no way to prepare to be away from my kids and peeps, I suppose, or to be as alone as I will be for some stretches of time, but at least I can try to moderate my social vices--smoking and drinking--in order to quit both "cold turkey" on 6/26 in KSC. If I don't moderate over the next 30 days or so, I'm afraid I'll be even more anxious than I am already.
I'll look for you in my rear-view mirror.
Nick

forrest!
05-18-2014, 18:26
but at least I can try to moderate my social vices--smoking and drinking--in order to quit both "cold turkey" on 6/26 in KSC.
Nick

Nick, that's great! Quitting cold turkey can be tough though. You'll have other things to think about, which is good, and you will be out of your usual habitual pattern, which is good. But the added stress might not be. Also, one thing I found that surprised me, there's still a lot of smokers and drinkers on the trail, so if you stay at the shelters there will be temptation to overcome...

Good luck - I'm pulling for you.

Poedog
05-19-2014, 20:43
The lady and I will be starting MEGA in 30 days.

Sasquatch2185
05-19-2014, 21:03
I'm leaving June 14th. I'm hiking up Katahdin and coming back down on the 13th. Let me know if you want to meet up!

Dakota Joe
05-19-2014, 21:42
So yeah, im now 1,494.7 miles NoBo and going to sumitt on july 4th and turn around and go SoBo. Anybody going to be doing big miles around that day? 100 mile wilderness in 4 days type miles. Lemme know, maybe we can roll together. If not im flying soli

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sasquatch2185
05-19-2014, 22:30
Whats up everyone! I'm leaving June 14th from KSC. I'm hiking up Katahdin and coming back down on the 13th. Let me know if you want to meet up!

TwoSpirits
05-28-2014, 19:00
Baxter State Park's web page & Facebook page are saying that rangers are still seeing a lot of ice and snow on the trails. None of the Katahdin trails are open yet, and they are refunding the first week of June reservations.... There is going to be a LOT of high fast water even south outside the park! I've been planning for a June 7th start; I sure hope things dry up soon.

Corsac
05-28-2014, 19:49
Guess I am glad to be heading out from KSC on July 17th!

Dakota Joe
05-28-2014, 20:27
July 4th!

Linesman
05-29-2014, 08:27
Baxter State Park's web page & Facebook page are saying that rangers are still seeing a lot of ice and snow on the trails. None of the Katahdin trails are open yet, and they are refunding the first week of June reservations.... There is going to be a LOT of high fast water even south outside the park! I've been planning for a June 7th start; I sure hope things dry up soon.

I don't think ice on katahdin has much to do with water levels in the 100 mile wilderness. Peak snowmelt season in Maine is long past. The levels of those fords is probably more dependent on recent precipitation than the ice on one mountain.

I was gonna start on June 1. Can anyone predict when my earliest start date now could be? The rangers on FB say they can't speak to when it will melt, but surely there is some kind of estimate? Otherwise I might have to flip to northbound.

forrest!
05-29-2014, 10:12
I was gonna start on June 1. Can anyone predict when my earliest start date now could be? The rangers on FB say they can't speak to when it will melt, but surely there is some kind of estimate? Otherwise I might have to flip to northbound.

You could start in Monson, or Stratton, and go north to Katahdin, then go back to where you started and go Southbound. That would give the Katahdin trails time to open before you got there. It's more of a hassle that way, but it's an alternative.

Or you could skip Katahdin and start into the 100 mile wilderness southbound. Then come back and do the climb up Katahdin later.

Sam

chrisschwing
05-29-2014, 13:35
I'm getting up to BSP on June 1st with a few other people on here. We're just gonna wait it out until they open the Katahdin trails.

Chris

redzombie
05-29-2014, 16:49
Plans have changed. Unfortunately the Dane is staying home now. The logistics are proving to be too much.

redzombie
05-29-2014, 17:09
So my flight itinerary changed on me. They have me flying into Bangor at 1207 am July 10th. I was supposed to be getting in around 1700 and was taking the Cyr bus, but now that is out of the question now, as that bus leaves around 1800-1830. My Baxter Park reservation is the 10th and leaving the 11th. Anyone know of any shuttles, buses that run that late at night/early? I don't want to wait six hours for the cyr bus, and I don't want to pay 100 bucks to 100wildnerness if I am not spending the night, and I need to hike katahdin on the 10th so I don't have to pay for another day at baxster.

oilfieldpilot
05-29-2014, 23:50
I'm getting up to BSP on June 1st with a few other people on here. We're just gonna wait it out until they open the Katahdin trails.

Chris
Just posted tonight on Baxter State Park website: "Notice: The Hunt, Knife Edge and Helon Taylor Trails are now open. Rangers have flagged bypass around snow and ice at the edge of treeline at the base of the Hunt Spur. The Abol Trail remains closed and is marked by orange flagging at the edge of the Tableland. Hikers decending this trail risk a summons by Park Rangers. The Traveler Loop is is also open. All Trails to and out of Chimney Pond remain closed. The Park Tote Road is now open from Togue Pond Gate to approximately 5 miles north of Nesowadnehunk Field and from Matagamon Gate to Trout Brook Crossing. The South Branch Pond and Roaring Brook Roads are also open. All Park Campgrounds except Chimney Pond are now open. Blackflies are active and plentiful. (5/29/14)" I'm another 01Jun14 Sobo'er. looking forward to meeting others on their journeys.

joshuasdad
05-30-2014, 05:26
I am at Shaw's in Monson right now, have just completed Monson to Caratunk, and am section hiking part of the hundred mile wilderness today. Bugs and trail were decent, but warmer temps yesterday made the bugs thicker. Fords were easy.

Early starters, I suggest calling Shaw's to get from Bangor, hike to Katahdin from Monson, then get a shuttle back to Monson.

oilfieldpilot
05-30-2014, 08:29
I am at Shaw's in Monson right now, have just completed Monson to Caratunk, and am section hiking part of the hundred mile wilderness today. Bugs and trail were decent, but warmer temps yesterday made the bugs thicker. Fords were easy.

Early starters, I suggest calling Shaw's to get from Bangor, hike to Katahdin from Monson, then get a shuttle back to Monson. Why is this? Why not just start from Katahdin and head south and avoid the need to flipflop and hitch a shuttle? Can you pls clarify, thanks!

forrest!
05-30-2014, 09:37
He means if the Katahdin trail is closed for ice and snow. By starting in Monson you give it another week to melt.

chase
05-30-2014, 10:37

Forrest
I have been kicking around the idea of sharing a car rental from Roanoke VA to Bangor. Or sharing expenses with someone headed that way

chase
05-30-2014, 10:54
I have been playing around with Guthooks AT Hiker 3 which covers my home AT area. I like the app, its a fun thing to have along. MY brother used the LT app last year and I hear that the Florida Trail app will be available soon. Also since I use PostHoler for my journals I use Guthooks PCTHYOH app, although geared more towards the PCT it is a great interface for anyone using PostHoler for their journals. Makes it real easy to post daily journal via email.

6/1 is around the corner, I have plane tickets, reservations at KSC and Joe Dodge in NH. I have allotted 16 days to get to Pinkham notch. The first night I will probably just stay at KSC. I was wondering if anyone has field tested the Guthooks AT hiker? Next week, I will test the app on the approach trail. I hope that even if there is no cell phone coverage my iPhone will access my location with gps under the canopying trees. Knowing exactly where I am, would, for this hiker be a tremendous advantage mentally because it would help me focus my attention solely on the next mile.

oilfieldpilot
05-30-2014, 13:21
[QUOTE=forrest!;1881601]He means if the Katahdin trail is closed for ice and snow. By starting in Monson you give it another week to melt. gotcha! ok. I just thought all was bone-a$$ cold up yonder regardless of altitude/elevation. I'll bring some S. Tx heat but will leave behind our gulf skeeters :-)

Poedog
05-30-2014, 16:28
I have been kicking around the idea of sharing a car rental from Roanoke VA to Bangor. Or sharing expenses with someone headed that way
You could get an Amtrak ride for a lot less than a car/gas. That's what we're doing out of Charlottesville.

joshuasdad
05-31-2014, 08:53
Just did southern 14 miles of HMW. Trail is a slog (16 miles in 14 hours, including Bodfish Farm access), but in good shape with no boot soaking mud (if you rock/root hop). Bugs are really bad, had to use a bug shirt/hood on some climbs, and still was bitten on wrists. Big Wilson was mid thigh, and running swiftly, stumbled a bit on slick rock, but only went to knees... I rock hopped Little Wilson. New bridge just north of Monson gets you past Spectacle Pond outflow...yeah! In short, nothing difficult, but the trail is not easy (for me), so I needed to take my time on the frequent ascents and descents which were covered with rain soaked leaves and wet slate.

TwoSpirits
05-31-2014, 08:58
Thank you for this report! Hopefully at this time next week I will be starting my climb to the start at Baxter Peak. Enjoy your hike and be careful.

Sent from...wait, where am I again?

joshuasdad
05-31-2014, 09:10

Megabus from Christiansburg to Boston, connecting to Maine bus would be cheapest.

svblur
06-01-2014, 08:39
Starting June 20th!

Nick P
06-01-2014, 15:39
Starting June 20th!

right on, Svblur. Best of luck to you! You have a five-day (and 25 year!) advantage on me, but I will look out for you anyway.

forrest!
06-01-2014, 18:00
right on, Svblur. Best of luck to you! You have a five-day (and 25 year!) advantage on me, but I will look out for you anyway.

You guys both have an advantage on me, but I'll be behind you (July 12th), chugging along. Slow down so I can catch up! Good luck!

tcarolan
06-02-2014, 01:40
I'll be starting on the 9th! Looks like there are quite a few of us starting in the next 2 weeks.
Good luck everyone!

Groundsound1
06-02-2014, 14:29
Hey guys, adding to this post. Gonna be peaking khatadin July 15th and onward to the rest on my SOBO thru :)

-groundsound

swiss
06-03-2014, 09:24
I'll be starting on the 9th! Looks like there are quite a few of us starting in the next 2 weeks.
Good luck everyone!

I'll be starting on June 15th. I think all those who planned to start during May and couldn't, because of trail closures, might start now?

bjj4287
06-03-2014, 16:30
My friend and I are looking to hike up Katahdin July 8th! See YAll out there :D

Old Baldy
06-03-2014, 17:01
I'll be spending the night of July 7th at the AT Lodge in Millinocket and hiking up Katahdin of the 8th. Then heading south.

Dakota Joe
06-03-2014, 22:33
Im still on track for a july 4th summit and then heading into the 100 mile for the night. 100 mile in 4 days is my goal

Lone Wolf
06-04-2014, 06:17
Im still on track for a july 4th summit and then heading into the 100 mile for the night. 100 mile in 4 days is my goal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkyou got that no problem!

Lone Wolf
06-04-2014, 06:18

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkyou got that no problem!

GoodGerman
06-04-2014, 06:54
But Lone Wolf,

they told Joe and me we wouldn't survive the winter. Somehow we are still trucking though.

Sent from my GT-I8750 using Tapatalk

Dakota Joe
06-04-2014, 08:57
But Lone Wolf,

they told Joe and me we wouldn't survive the winter. Somehow we are still trucking though.

Trucking like thundering diesel peterbuilts!

dmath010
06-04-2014, 14:48
Ok I'm in. My brother and I will be flying into Bangor on July 9 and starting on July 10. Anyone have a lean-to they want to share the night of 7/10. PM me if so!

Dakota Joe
06-04-2014, 16:08
I wont ever see you dmath, but good luck

GoodGerman
06-04-2014, 17:25
I wont ever see you dmath, but good luck

You won't survive the 100 mile wilderness at your pace. It's a heinous stretch of trail that needs to be hiked doing 8-10 miles a day.

Gnahaha

Dakota Joe
06-04-2014, 17:34
You won't survive the 100 mile wilderness at your pace. It's a heinous stretch of trail that needs to be hiked doing 8-10 miles a day.

Gnahaha

Yeah, with ten days of food, a slacpack, and a bear cannister! Pbsh! Bwahaha

Dakota Joe
06-04-2014, 18:29
We gonna bank 20s in southern maine bra bra

Dakota Joe
06-04-2014, 18:36
If Acorn can get 7 in the whites we can get 15

GoodGerman
06-04-2014, 18:42
Just make sure the tuna is in a can.

Dakota Joe
06-04-2014, 18:43
Just make sure the tuna is in a can.

Pooncorn cums in a can, maines finest muscle hustle around

Dakota Joe
06-04-2014, 18:46
Speaking of hustling. We muscle miles. Gonna hit springer in 4. What they got now?

Dakota Joe
06-04-2014, 19:04
Hey GG what do you do with those sticks bra?

Dakota Joe
06-04-2014, 19:20
Man, tell these guys to buy a personality and a sense of humor at their first resupply

Lone Wolf
06-04-2014, 21:11

Gnahaha

Sent from my GT-I8750 using Tapatalkthe so-called wilderness is easy walkin'.i did 20s no prob

Dakota Joe
06-04-2014, 21:31
Thats right lone wolf, its just walking, right? We been walkin for a while now an dun went crazy!

Lone Wolf
06-04-2014, 21:42
Thats right lone wolf, its just walking, right? We been walkin for a while now an dun went crazy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkyup. you got the attitude. go kid!

Dakota Joe
06-04-2014, 22:04
Yeah buddy, steal it from nike, Just Hike It

GoodGerman
06-04-2014, 22:09
Gurrrrrrrlie - I'm scared.

Dakota Joe
06-04-2014, 22:10
I will keep your beaver safe, even when it gets angry.

Poedog
06-04-2014, 22:44
The SOBO thread turned into a white boy chest puffin', look at me I'm a thru hikin', it's been a while since I dipped it fiasco.

Dakota Joe
06-04-2014, 22:45
I would actually respond to your racism, but we are too busy goofing off here on a zero day. Flip flop flippin 2 tanked at our box office.

Poedog
06-04-2014, 22:49
Actually, you did respond, and that's not racism. You must not be too busy, you responded in one minute. Deflate the ego, you're not the first, nor the last.

Somebody feed this guy, he's starved for attention.

Dakota Joe
06-04-2014, 22:57
Bwahahaha, like VH1 diaries you think you know but you have no idea. Let me reiterate. I will not respond to your racism means I will let that comment slide not that I wont be responding at all. More than one comment was grammatically slaughtered on your last post. Let me clarify the "goofing off" since you have absolutely no idea what you walked into. That would be, my ever so misinformed friend, us messing with each other over statements made to us by others rather facetiously. So no insult intended in your direction, but your misinterpretation of our friendly ribbing adds to the hilarity of our evening. Why? Because I am doing a yo yo and he is going home so I get to poke fun by batting for the sobo team. You had no clue what we were doing. Its all good in the hood G-$

Poedog
06-04-2014, 23:14
nice vh1 simile, you guys battle in the shelters? yeah, we get it, it's friendly ribbing, it's pretty obvious.

Have fun on your yo-yo, yo.

Dakota Joe
06-04-2014, 23:16
Yo know it brohan and we battle all day every day since we have been stuck in a gruesome two some since Fontana Damn, NC. We dont take anything seriously anymore and stress nothing.

Dakota Joe
06-04-2014, 23:19
We have been told all this negative stuff by so many people that we use it against each other just for laughs. I think some people on here take too much so seriously. Its all in fun. Dude, you should hear the songs we make up! Hilarity!

joshuasdad
06-05-2014, 08:13
Finished south 60 miles of HMW. JoMary Road to base of Whitecap is a stroll on great, mainly level trails. Whitecap to Gulf Hagas has more elevation change, but trail in great condition, and extensive trail work (stone steps) makes section easier than profile would indicate. Gulf Hagas to south is very rugged, but trail in good condition. Bugs are horrible, of course. Good luck all!

forrest!
06-05-2014, 08:32
Joshuasdad, thanks for the update. A bunch more hikers starting south soon.

Dakota Joe
06-05-2014, 12:33
Heck yeah joshuasdad, go get em!

QuietFlight
06-05-2014, 19:47
Thank you forrest! for this thread. I am QuietFlight also from the land of the southern terminus, descendant of the Muscogee. Katahdin "the greatest mountain", summit planned for July 3. Look forward to sharing the trail with my brothers and sisters. Walk with the Mother, leave no trace, of any kind.

Tumor
06-05-2014, 20:18
Just got back from a 5.5 day section hike of the 100MW southbound. Surprisingly DRYER than 4 out of the last 5 times I've done it. Most of the mud and muck is between Wadleigh Stream Lean-To and Potaywadjo Spring Lean-To (where it belongs). More detailed trip report with pictures to come. maybe somewhere else on the site.

Dakota Joe been following your story for a while now. I would love to hike the 100 with you and go as fast or slow as you want. I've done it in 4 off of the couch before, just shoot me a pm.

kight_17
06-05-2014, 20:43
Hi Forrest! I'm a little late on this post, but will be getting into Maine the afternoon of 6 July and heading up Katahdin early on the 7th. Looks like there are several folks right in front of me and a few behind me. Look forward to catching some of you and being caught by others!

scs
06-06-2014, 02:04
Hi kight_17, I'll be summiting on the 7th as well! My name is Sean (trail name TBD). I'm from Texas so I'm looking forward to some lovely Maine summer weather - having said that we'll probably get thunderstorms but my fingers are crossed! Hope to see you and some of the rest of my fellow MEGAs out there.

forrest!
06-06-2014, 05:14
If you haven' heard, the Abol trail to the top of Katahdin is closed this year. Here is the thread about it. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?104389-Baxter-announces-closure-of-the-Abol-Slide-Trail-for-2014&highlight=Abol)

This is not the AT. That's the Hunt Trail on Katahdin. But it is an alternate trail to the top that is used by a lot of people to make a loop - in other words, go up the Abol Trail and down the AT (Hunt Trail). It's also not the trail that goes out the Knife Edge - those trails are still open.

O-H-10 Lil Ohio
06-06-2014, 11:24
Heading south bound around 20 july, I Hope to get the go ahead from the doc to travel with new pacemaker on 14 July., I just have inplanted 6 weeks ago. Although I an experience hiker I have also known to be a slow hiker .I well do some pre hikes on old rag mountain here in Virginia prior to going onto Baxter State Park. . Do any of you know hikers who have had a pacemaker and don't mind sharing their experiences.

kight_17
06-06-2014, 13:35
Hi kight_17, I'll be summiting on the 7th as well! My name is Sean (trail name TBD). I'm from Texas so I'm looking forward to some lovely Maine summer weather - having said that we'll probably get thunderstorms but my fingers are crossed! Hope to see you and some of the rest of my fellow MEGAs out there.

Hi Sean, Look forward to meeting you! I sweat so much that it doesn't matter if it rains. Lightning could be bad though...

Giuseppe
06-08-2014, 09:59
Things are falling into place for my July 17 start date, booked into Katadhin Stream for the night of the 17th after coming down from the Mountain. Looking forward to crossing paths with others that are here.
Guiseppe

swiss
06-08-2014, 16:24
Hi Tumor. Thanks for your useful information! Will start southbound in a week.

Oz
06-11-2014, 04:55
Hi everyone. My first post. Sitting in Australia reading with itchy feet. Hoping to get my visa By July 1st and jump a plane straight to L.A. then Bangor and wing it from there. Should manage to be on a mountain in second week of July with lotza luck. Hope to see some new friends soon.

Corsac
06-11-2014, 10:11
@divegary, I will be heading out the 17th hope to see you out there!

@wicked dan, good luck getting over here, hope to see you on trail!

Honuben
06-11-2014, 19:07
My June start has been delayed and if all home renovations go as planned, I should be out on there middle of July to August 1. Hope to start July though

forrest!
06-12-2014, 06:02
Looks like Brega Bob (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=16248) had a tough time at the start - the link is to his trail journal. But he is soldiering on!

chase
06-12-2014, 07:05
I am getting my food boxes together. I will be done with that in a few days. I know its buggy up there now but I am getting anxious to start my SOBO. I was hoping to find someone to car pool with to save a few bucks. But I am going to book a flight pretty soon $400+ if I purchase a few weeks in advance. I know that as soon as I book a flight I will find two or three car poolers ready to go LOL. Buses seem to have a lot of long layovers hanging around the station. Maybe I should check out Amtrak. I never rode a train except for an old steam engine. Actually I prefer hiking Maine in August but any other state in August will be nice too!
Chase

chase
06-12-2014, 07:12
I am getting my food boxes together. I will be done with that in a few days. I know its buggy up there now but I am getting anxious to start my SOBO. I was hoping to find someone to car pool with to save a few bucks. But I am going to book a flight pretty soon $400+ if I purchase a few weeks in advance. I know that as soon as I book a flight I will find two or three car poolers ready to go LOL. Buses seem to have a lot of long layovers hanging around the station. Maybe I should check out Amtrak. I never rode a train except for an old steam engine. Actually I prefer hiking Maine in August but any other state in August will be nice too!
Chase

chase
06-12-2014, 07:18
Alrighty, I do not see a way to delete my extra post. Maybe another cup of coffee will fix it.

Poedog
06-12-2014, 09:18
Maybe I should check out Amtrak. I never rode a train except for an old steam engine.

Amtrak all the way. I'm leaving on A-track tomorrow out of Charlottesville ---> Bangor for around $150. Start my SOBO on Wednesday.

chase
06-12-2014, 09:44
Looks like about 25 hours. I can catch a train from Greensboro, NC for about $50. more. What are you planning for the self transfer in Boston? Is there a bus, walk, cab?

Poedog
06-12-2014, 18:08
Looks like about 25 hours. I can catch a train from Greensboro, NC for about $50. more. What are you planning for the self transfer in Boston? Is there a bus, walk, cab?
Its a pretty straightforward transfer from Back Bay Station to North Station. Get off train, go to ticket machine, purchase fare to North Station, get on proper train, wait 6 or seven stops, get off, walk 100 yards to North Station. There's detailed info if you google "Back Bay to North Station transfer", etc.

Dakota Joe
06-14-2014, 07:33
Poedog! Hittin the trail soon homie?! You got this man! And everyone else: you got this too! Lets make this the best year of the Sobo ever! Record Completion numbers! Encourage your fellow hiker and then rib em a little bit! Screw the weather cause its never what you want, dang those bugs with deet, jump in that mud, and hike the heck outta this trail! I will see some of you out there for a good luck daps!

joshuasdad
06-14-2014, 09:57
Last Maine report. HMW and the 10 miles south of KSC are in good to great condition as of last week, though they have received some rain the last couple days. I would expect some boggy conditions south of Monson, as that section was very wet a couple weeks ago. 33 miles north of Grafton Notch also generally great conditions for the time of year, just a little overgrown and a few blowdowns (e.g., near Wyman Mountain). Slacking that 33 mile section from The Cabin made it quite enjoyable. Thank you Honey, Bear, and Don!

redzombie
06-17-2014, 01:21
So how is everyone getting food for Mt. Katahdin and the 100 mile wilderness. If your flying are you bringing food with you on plane, or shipping a few boxes out ahead of time. For those who have hiked before, should you just buy supplies at the store at Abol bridge? Thoughts?