PDA

View Full Version : Portable Energy

ZephyrusWind
11-05-2013, 13:19
Hi everybody,

We're part of a senior design team from the Colorado School of Mines, and we're participating in the inaugural collegiate
wind turbine competition hosted by NREL and the Department of Energy.

The purpose of this competition is to design, from scratch, a portable wind turbine that can effectively produce
power and be used off of the grid.

We thought this might be useful for people who spend a significant time away from electrical power, such as hikers,
campers, and anyone who enjoys the outdoors.

We've put together a quick survey and would really appreciate anyone who filled it out. We want to get a better idea of what our target audience wants in such a turbine, hence why we're on this site.

Here is the link to the survey:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1kO3T0NKz8EXlDpEGwwi8qJO6t10zxXSvFKtzhXpw3Fw/viewform

Also, if you'd like to learn more about us or our competition, you can visit our team website at zephyrus.mines.edu, which also has a link to the official competition rules.

Again, thank you for your time and consideration in our endeavor. We're hoping to do well in this competition and push forward wind power in the world!

Dogwood
11-05-2013, 13:22
Portable Energy equals JPD or Andrew Skurka.

Slo-go'en
11-05-2013, 19:16
I took the survey and indicated I don't think this is a viable option for the long distance hiker. Even if it could be made small enough and light enough to consider carrying, getting a consistant wind to power it is not too likely on the AT.

bfayer
11-05-2013, 19:31
I took the survey and indicated I don't think this is a viable option for the long distance hiker. Even if it could be made small enough and light enough to consider carrying, getting a consistant wind to power it is not too likely on the AT.

I agree and said the same thing. Now for base campers like hunters or researchers, it prove to be useful.

Wise Old Owl
11-05-2013, 21:04
http://www.instructables.com/id/Camping-Wind-Turbine/

http://www.otherpower.com/toymill.html (http://www.instructables.com/id/Camping-Wind-Turbine/)

zelph
11-08-2013, 23:06
I think the shelters should have wind or solar generators hooked up to a 12 volt volt marine battery that is encased in an immovable bomb proof case. Have a DC outlet on the case for charging batteries. Just a thought:-?

kayak karl
11-09-2013, 08:13
why stop there. put solar panels on roof and thermoelectric generator plates in fire pit. then a 12v pump to pump water directly to shelter through a solar water heater for hot showers.:rolleyes:

Venchka
11-09-2013, 09:01
Shaking his head and muttering...
Having spent in excess of 50 hours a week in front of a computer since 1981 earning a living wage, I look forward to self-propelled travel without benefit of electrons. Granted, I do carry battery powered lighting. More for safety (candles can be dangerous) than real need.
I suppose that a backpack with solar cells incorporated into the material of the pack might benefit those who are addicted to electronic toys. I have seen photos of tents with solar panels attached during the day for the same purpose.
"The horror." A wind farm at Everest Base Camp.
I digress...
Good luck with your efforts. I suppose, since you all seem to be serious about this, that your winning device would attach to a backpack and generate power while the user was hiking. Said contraption might work above treeline in New England or on much of the PCT and CDT.
"3 to beam up, Scotty."

Wayne

bobp
11-09-2013, 09:44
why stop there. put solar panels on roof and thermoelectric generator plates in fire pit. then a 12v pump to pump water directly to shelter through a solar water heater for hot showers.:rolleyes:

Sounds like a Hillbilly Hilton to me. I'm not saying I want one, but I am kind of curious about how much power one might get from such a configuration.

Wise Old Owl
11-09-2013, 10:21
I think the shelters should have wind or solar generators hooked up to a 12 volt volt marine battery that is encased in an immovable bomb proof case. Have a DC outlet on the case for charging batteries. Just a thought:-?

You and I would agree it would be really cool - but some drunken ass will destroy it.

rocketsocks
11-09-2013, 12:40
While I enjoy all the technologies being put forth, I'm ok with bringing the ones I want to the trail. Each trip is different, and I get to decide which ones fit, and am scolded for making wrong decisions by lack of comfort. If the trail/woods/wilderness were to have all these things available, to me it would turn it into something completely different than what I'm looking for...the will to choose, and live deliberately.

Slo-go'en
11-09-2013, 13:02
I've been proposing wind powered water pumps at shelters for a long time so that we would have running water, especially at those where the water is down at the bottom of a cliff! Solar would probably be better for charging applications, although a bit more fragile and subject to damage (falling tree limbs or what ever).

I'll bet dollars to donuts that the "I go hiking to get away from technology" people would be happy to take advantage of such ammenities at a shelter were they available.

Dogwood
11-09-2013, 13:19
Humanity's ohh so bright great progressive ideas. They oh so often turn out to lead to destruction for so many while a few at the top amass huge economic windfalls. As much as I would like to help, I will not take the survey. I'm noticing an increasing number of surveys geared from a marketing perspective here on WB. This survey obviously is doing that. It's about marketing a product beginning at the R&D stage.

I'm for the preserving of the greater independence, self reliability, freedom, and greater awareness that can occur as a result from a hike that is simpler and less reliant on electronic technology; this includes the ability to generate energy from a personal portable wind turbine that will in all most likely hood be used by hikers for convenience. I find this to be an invasion into the wilderness/wilds hiking experience.

rocketsocks
11-09-2013, 13:22
I'll bet dollars to donuts that the "I go hiking to get away from technology" people would be happy to take advantage of such ammenities at a shelter were they available.

No doubt...as would I, but I still wouldn't want a satalite dish on the roof of a shelter, or wifi, that's what hostels and hotels are for. Now water available at or near shelters I can get on board with...no dry sections!

Dogwood
11-09-2013, 15:00
I've been proposing wind powered water pumps at shelters for a long time so that we would have running water, especially at those where the water is down at the bottom of a cliff! Solar would probably be better for charging applications, although a bit more fragile and subject to damage (falling tree limbs or what ever).

Not me, I've take a dollar to a donut vow of chastity to avoid obtaining water at AT shelters w/ wind turbines. :)

Seriously, is it all that hard to obtain water at AT shelters? that it REQUIRES pumping via a wind turbine? Really? Really? What, is it too hard to walk a few hundred yrs at a few of the AT shelters to get water? Are you not ALSO seeing the possible negative consequences/impact of such an idea?

kayak karl
11-09-2013, 15:15
an idea for a new game "Sim Shelter" :)

Slo-go'en
11-09-2013, 16:03
Seriously, is it all that hard to obtain water at AT shelters? that it REQUIRES pumping via a wind turbine? Really? Really? What, is it too hard to walk a few hundred yrs at a few of the AT shelters to get water? Are you not ALSO seeing the possible negative consequences/impact of such an idea?

I can think of a half a dozen shelters which going to get water is a major chore. I liked the 384 rock steps down to the spring in SNP, the 1/4 mile steep down hill hike at the first shelter out of Harrers Ferry, most of the shelters in PA to name a few.

Of course, I say all this in jest, as it's never going to happen, but after a long hot day of hiking, it would be nice not to have to expend even more energy just to get water!