PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 3GS 16GB

zelph
11-05-2013, 20:28
I purchased a iPhone 3GS 16GB factory unlocked, to be used as an iPad($100.00), no phone contract/provider. I just want to access the internet via wifi when in an area with that access and to have the gps feature.

When I get the phone and turn it on will I have wifi access or are there some steps to go through to get the unit working?

Thanks for your help.

Starchild
11-05-2013, 20:32
Should work 'out of the box' so to speak, but should/may need to go into settings for the wifi network and enter password.

GPS should work though sometimes without the help of a cell signal may take some time.

Just Bill
11-05-2013, 21:34
Zelph- Take a trip to the ithingy store. There were lots of power saving features and settings that they showed me that save the juice. Easiest thing is to flip it to Airplane mode when you are not using Wi-Fi or GPS. When you need Wi-Fi you just turn it on and it searches for networks.

FarmerChef
11-05-2013, 22:47
In the "settings" menu you can touch "wi-fi" and use that to browse available networks. You can choose yours and enter your password, same at a hotspot too. To close apps, press the "home" button twice quickly. You'll see the open apps pop up on the bottom. Touch and hold any one of them until they start to jiggle and a red circle with a minus sign appears. Click on the minus sign and the app will close. Closing open apps is the next best way to conserve power after turning on airplane mode.

zelph
11-06-2013, 12:00
Thank you for all the suggestions. I'll let you know how I fare when it arrives.:)

Hot Flash
11-06-2013, 16:41
If you don't have cellular coverage, you're not going to be able to use the GPS feature unless you're actively connected to wifi service. The GPS on your phone functions by a combination of cell tower signal and wifi. You can use it on wifi alone, but if you don't have cell coverage you'll be S.O.L. out of wifi range.

zelph
11-06-2013, 19:44
If you don't have cellular coverage, you're not going to be able to use the GPS feature unless you're actively connected to wifi service. The GPS on your phone functions by a combination of cell tower signal and wifi. You can use it on wifi alone, but if you don't have cell coverage you'll be S.O.L. out of wifi range.

Good to know, thank you. Makes sense. I may only be able to use it to access the internet to check my mail and send some messages via that route.

My phone arrived today. all the instruction booklets were in foreign languages:eek:

I went on line and got the manual. Tried to turn the phone on and :Nothing: Nada!!!! :rolleyes:

I suspect there might not be a sim card in it...dunno if it needs one to turn it on. Maybe it needs to be charged.....can't do that........it came with a European plug in gizmo.LOL rollin on the floor.....

Tomorrow I will go to a local geek store and secure some help. Nice learning experience:)

Here is some interesting info:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5262340

moytoy
11-07-2013, 05:40
What your trying to do would be a lot easier on a Nexus Android phone. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying it's not easy to change anything in a Apple product. Hot Flash is correct, cell phones use what is called AGPS. A stands for assisted. You can get AGPS to work without the internet but all you will have is a coordinate. The phone needs an online map to give you a picture. There are geeks out there that can make a Nexus android phone do about anything you can imagine a phone doing.

I guess you first need to get it to power. If it won't power maybe you can get your money back:)

zelph
11-07-2013, 19:39
I'm advancing:sun

Late yesterday I went to the local "radioshack" They were of great help. It was first determined it needed to be charged;)

It booted up and we were of to a good start. I purchased a charger for it and left for the nearest McDonalds to see if wifi would appear.

Yesiree!!! wifi came up and all went well initially. Charged it up overnight and then tried to access wifi at home and that did not go well. Hmmm, got to contact apple support online.

Later in the afternoon I went back to McDonalds and got on the internet to check my mail and test sending messages. Whooo!! success. Surfed to a few websites to make sure it could be done, all went well.

next I'll dig into the gps. section to see what shows up.

On my screen there is a little message thing that says "No Sim Card" but so far all the things that I want are showing up without it.

moytoy
11-07-2013, 23:46
I'm curious about your connection problem at home. Does it not see the network?

zelph
11-08-2013, 11:09
I'm curious about your connection problem at home. Does it not see the network?

After doing some research I find out that others have had the problem also under certain circumstances. They resolved it by rebooting their computer router and or changing something in the computer "controls" I have to talk directly with apple customer help in order for me to be "walked" through the process.

When I go out to McDonalds I'll try the "Maps" feature to see if the GPS is functional. The "compass" feature works on my unit:) I'm on a roll here. My reaserch say there are wifi gps units attached to all cellular relay antennas around the country and also apple is associated in some fashion with google earth and others that allows the gps funtion to operate. So, when Im close to a strong wifi like McDonals I may be able to get the gps funtion to operate. I'm satisfied right now to know the compass works. Most people leave their phone "on" so they can always get a phone call, so battery power is always of a major concern. I have no need for phone service with the apple. My research tells me I should be able to make a 911 call if needed in an emergency. fcc regulations made the 911 mandatory for all cell phones even without a phone having a service provider.

I purchased my phone at dailydeals.com

fredmugs
11-08-2013, 11:27

Really? My cheap Virgin Mobile smartphone GPS works well everywhere. I have used Halfmile's App in the JMT and in Wash state. What you're saying may be iPhone specific and I've never owned one but if what you're saying is true that would be reason enough for me not to own that phone.

FarmerChef
11-08-2013, 13:48
After doing some research I find out that others have had the problem also under certain circumstances. They resolved it by rebooting their computer router and or changing something in the computer "controls" I have to talk directly with apple customer help in order for me to be "walked" through the process.

Zelph - Not to be an armchair technoquarterback but...

It sounds like you need a wifi password to get onto your network at home. Do you know the name of your home network and does it show up in your phones wifi choices? That would be the first step. If you can see it but can't use the internet, that's where the password/passphrase come in.

It's good that you can see and connect to wifi at McDs. Just keep in mind that their network usually has no password requirement. Hopefully your home router does. :)

zelph
11-08-2013, 22:46
Thanks FarmerChef. My wifi network was installed/setup by a guy from the "geek squad" from "Best Buy" store locally. He installed the computer and router we purchased there and he added our laptops to the wifi somehow while we were not paying attention:D We can't remember how he did it:o

I went to a "Culvers" restaurant that has wifi and was able to access the gps feature "Maps" It was so cool to be able to get it to function without having a service provider/contract. Slowly but surely I'll learn more as the days go by.

The home wifi would be nice, but not necessary. I prefer the big screen viewing of my computer;) I purchased the iphone specifically for when I'm out on my adventures.

Many of the state and local campgrounds have wifi hot spots that are easily accessable. I'm located in Illinois, far from the AT:( I had been lugging my laptop around with me:eek: to have at my base camp.

FarmerChef
11-08-2013, 23:04
Right there with ya, Zelph. My wife and I spent 10 years outside Chicago with our first 3 being born there. Always happy to offer support to a former neighbor :D

zelph
11-09-2013, 18:44
Right there with ya, Zelph. My wife and I spent 10 years outside Chicago with our first 3 being born there. Always happy to offer support to a former neighbor :D
I grew up in Chicago born in barrel bushel knives went to school hard knocks

Sent from new iPhone. Making progress using wifi at home

Talk again later. Having fun wit new toy

Starchild
11-09-2013, 19:13

This is not true.

The device does use cellular service if available to augment the GPS location, but it is not required, nor is WiFi (which also can augment it). The device alone can get a lock solely from the GPS system, but it may take time without those 'helpers'.

moytoy
11-10-2013, 08:04
The device does use cellular service if available to augment the GPS location, but it is not required, nor is WiFi (which also can augment it). The device alone can get a lock solely from the GPS system, but it may take time without those 'helpers'.
Very true but it should be noted that unless your phone has a reverse geocoding program installed on it (most don't)all your going to get from the phone gps are the coordinates.

ChuckT
11-10-2013, 08:49
Wrestln' with tech makes me swear! And swear that there's a cabal that exists to NOT tell us what we need to know.

As a for-instance, I have several GPS units, Garmin, and uniformly they're just not right. In theory at least if I buy the thing it should serve me (right?) - "not so fast, hiker boy". I wind up climbing the learning curve, again. And, by fluke, I have 2 more on the way to me. Masochist? Probably.

Last week, being dumber than dirt, I went for a Galaxy Note 3 (Andriod smart phone) Holy WiFi! What have I done. FWIW I also purchased an xtr battery, I'm getting 2 - 3 days normal use on a charge YRMV.

Getting back to your post - the GPS, the Compass and the WiFi _should_ all be seperate functions and thefore accesable without a SIM card. The SIM card is the key to join your phone to a commercial network (and 3G, 4G, LTE, etc) as an actual telephone. I applaud you not willing to accept that yoke!

The question remains if you can get WiFi on a hike. That depends on somebody willing to setup a Hotspot near enough to your locale and you trying it.

Cvt

kayak karl
11-10-2013, 08:55
on my home one i sometimes need to push the WPS button (i don't what a WPS button is) and it logs on.

FarmerChef
11-10-2013, 10:03
Free wifi on the hike is probably only available at service providers like hostels and hotels. But I'd venture to guess its not readily available? It takes a food chunk of bandwidth to provide free wifi especially when folks leach off it (not what we're talking about here). Having a pc connected to a dsl or satellite connection easily limits the amount of use and expense. But I digress.

WPS is wifi protected setup. You press the button on the side of your router (if so equipped) then tell your wifi enabled device to sync with it using wps. It makes it a bit easier but has its own set of problems.

Public service announcement - open, free wifi is a bit like leaving all your doors unlocked in a crime riddled neighborhood. Unless you use a VPN or there is strong encryption you should assume someone is either watching your digital conversation or trying to get on your machine. Surf wisely, my friends.