PDA

View Full Version : extra light

squeezebox
11-06-2013, 03:26
should I bring an extra headlamp or just extra batteries ?

chilln
11-06-2013, 07:27
I would bring extra batteries and a small key chain light as a back up.

daddytwosticks
11-06-2013, 08:34
I just use my headlamp with no extra batteries. I do, however, carry a small squeeze light (Photon) attached to my mini swiss army knife as a back up. :)

fredmugs
11-06-2013, 08:38
Do you carry a smartphone? If so - get a flashlight app for it.

moldy
11-06-2013, 08:41
It was one of the things that I carried but never used so I tossed it.

Marta
11-06-2013, 08:50
Depends on the time of year. Dec., Jan., Feb. I bring two headlamps and a candle lantern. June, July, Aug. one headlamp and a pinch light attached to my jacket is plenty. I don't carry extra batteries.

Bags4266
11-06-2013, 09:10
During those long summer days I can't recall even using my headlamp. I was always waiting for the sun to go down so I could fall asleep.

Sarcasm the elf
11-06-2013, 09:15
I always keep a keychain type LED light tucked in my pack for emergencies. I've misplaced my headlamp a few times around camp and it is a huge help to have the backup source.

As far as extra batteries, that depends on how long your headlamp runs on a set of them and how long you hike between town stops. You can easily get from springer to neels gap on one set of batteries, so you might consider just picking a fresh set of batteries there.

flemdawg1
11-06-2013, 11:13
I used rechargables in my headlamp and steripen on my section hikes. I carried a charger and recharged them whenever I went to town.

Slo-go'en
11-06-2013, 11:31
Having once stumbled 1.5 miles along a rough trail in the dark one winter because I lost my headlamp and didn't find out that fact until I needed it, I always carry a small back up lamp. I carry one which uses a single AAA battery for the back up, but a small keychain one can be handy in the tent.

Unless you decide to do a lot of night hiking (and there can be incentive to do that in mid summer when it's real hot) your not going to be using your headlamp all that much. Mostly to find the privy at 2 AM. A headlamp which is powered by three AAA batteries will run a very long time.

I carry spare batteries. Not for my headlamp, but for my MP3 player. When the battery in the player needs to be replaced, there is still enough juice left in it to use as a spare for the headlamp.

CarlZ993
11-06-2013, 15:25
I would bring extra batteries and a small key chain light as a back up.
+1.

I do the same. Use the Photon squeeze light with the Petzl Tikka XP w/ 3 extra AAA batteries for the XP.

Tipi Walter
11-06-2013, 16:41
should I bring an extra headlamp or just extra batteries ?

This is such a random question. If you're going to be out for 15 or 20 days without resupply, yes, carry some extra batteries. Plus, have an extra set anyway even on a short trip because you may have to do an emergency hike out at night---like if a big storm hits with impending tornadoes (or a frigid blizzard) and you need to bail at midnight to lower ground. You'll have a fresh set of batts and a bright headlamp for the job.

MuddyWaters
11-06-2013, 22:32
All depends on what your plan, and your contingency plan is.

I usually bring ONE small light, and ONE spare battery for it.

Most of the time, you dont really need light. If something happens to your light, you can get by for a couple of days until you get to a town to pick up another. You go to bed when its dark, and get up when its light, and no light is needed, except to pee during the night. If you dont go more than a step or 2 from your tent, you can probably handle that too.

Simply not worth toting extras "Just in case" something happens to your main light. Make it a point not to let anything happen to it.

you dont need a spare pack, a spare sleeping bag, a spare tent, ..or a spare light.

Just Bill
11-07-2013, 01:19
The Petzel E+Lite is an excellent light, and only $30. Primary in the summer, light backup otherwise. Has a red led for reading or polite shelter use. Not a great night hiking light but works in the rare sharknado emergency bailout. You can loose the strap and just clip it onto a hat or sternum strap. Carry a spare battery for the hell of it- it's a few grams. Night hiking, winter time or Tipi travel requires two lights and extra batteries- doesn't sound like Bryce is planning either.

QHShowoman
11-07-2013, 09:56
And the e+Lite has a super long battery life. I bought one 7-8 years ago and have yet to have to replace the battery. Granted, this is just my backup light, but at least you know you can count on it in a pinch, if your main light fails -- even if it's been at the bottom of your pack for months!

MkBibble
11-07-2013, 14:02
Anybody ever get up in the middle of a moonless night to use the restroom, walk as far as they can without actually seeing anything, then turn around and realize that they can't find their tent? Yeah, not me either...

Kerosene
11-07-2013, 14:24
Anybody ever get up in the middle of the night to use the restroom, turn on their headlamp away from the shelter so as not to disturb others, and then get startled by the shadow cast by the undergrowth into thinking it was a dangerous creature and letting out a shriek? Yeah, not me either...

Oh, +1 on the extra Photon light.

Tipi Walter
11-07-2013, 14:28
Anybody ever get up in the middle of a moonless night to use the restroom, walk as far as they can without actually seeing anything, then turn around and realize that they can't find their tent? Yeah, not me either...

Eventually this is bound to happen. A midnight turtlehead run far enough away from the tent and the trail can result in getting "lost" momentarily. It happened to me once in an oh-dark-30 fog. Glad for the light.

Colter
11-07-2013, 17:05
For normal three-season hiking I carry two photon-type lights. One is on my zipper pull of my most frequently worn jacket.

Namtrag
11-07-2013, 17:07
Buy a Luci lantern, it's solar rechargeable and you use it as a camp light or in your tent, thus conserving your headlamp. Light weight (4.5 oz) and collapsible (actually you inflate it like a beach ball) and holds a charge for a long time. You just hook it to the outside of your backpack with the solar cell face out during the day and it recharges. 24750

flemdawg1
11-07-2013, 18:09
As you gather experience, confidence, and become more weight conscience, you discover all those little "just incase" and redudndant items are of no use. Especially when on a trail with lots of other people and only a day or two from town on average.

Toon
11-07-2013, 18:47
I carry a headlamp and a small backup. Go to Amazon u can get a light that clips onto a 9v battery it cost 2.50 and weights nothing

TAG
11-07-2013, 18:57
I haven't found a 9v battery flashlight (like something from pak-lite) for $2.50, but that would be great.
I don't normally carry a backup, but I will for longer winter hikes. My backup is the Petzl e+LITE Headlamp. It weighs less an an ounce and does a decent job as a backup.

wormer
11-07-2013, 19:11
I use a Duracell crank light for a backup. It is light and will last for months as long as you crank it prior to using it.

Wise Old Owl
11-07-2013, 19:33
How long do you have to crank? UL - cranks are off the list.

As for the Luci - I am impressed - looks like a winner
Yea - I will buy one...

http://www.amazon.com/MPOWERD-Original-Luci-Solar-Lantern/dp/B00DQ1RDWS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383867640&sr=8-1&keywords=luci+lantern

It is very hard at times to find lithium CR in trail towns along the AT.

Namtrag
11-07-2013, 21:04
How long do you have to crank? UL - cranks are off the list.

As for the Luci - I am impressed - looks like a winner
Yea - I will buy one...

http://www.amazon.com/MPOWERD-Original-Luci-Solar-Lantern/dp/B00DQ1RDWS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383867640&sr=8-1&keywords=luci+lantern

It is very hard at times to find lithium CR in trail towns along the AT.

We love it...and I finally made a helpful contribution on WB! I have arrived.

these Luci's also double as lights for when your power goes out at home, so dual purpose.

Marta
11-07-2013, 22:08
Anybody ever get up in the middle of the night to use the restroom, turn on their headlamp away from the shelter so as not to disturb others, and then get startled by the shadow cast by the undergrowth into thinking it was a dangerous creature and letting out a shriek? Yeah, not me either...

Oh, +1 on the extra Photon light.

One of the reasons I carry a second light source in the winter, especially when solo. If I have to go hunting for something like the water source, I leave a light back at the shelter or hanging from my tent. Definitely helps me find my way back.

Heavy fog at night--very easy to get disoriented.

Wise Old Owl
11-07-2013, 22:17
We love it...and I finally made a helpful contribution on WB! I have arrived.

these Luci's also double as lights for when your power goes out at home, so dual purpose.

Yea good post... the weird part is the lack of a diffusion, I can fix that with some micro powder. After the order there was a longer powered suggestion

http://www.amazon.com/LuminAID-Solar-Inflatable-Light-Semi-Transparent/dp/B00CPX0EWO/ref=pd_sim_sg_1

3 ounces http://www.luminaid.com/

Based on your experience - on a semi cloudy day how many hours? Now is a good time to check Seriously this is a good find!

Namtrag
11-07-2013, 22:26
We haven't ever had it die on our trips, and we have only done 3-4 day trips max. On those trips, we have fully charged it at home, and we have used the light each night for an hour or so.

we like to do as someone above talked about, which is to hang the light in our tent and turn it on to read, and when we leave the tent to take a leak at night. It just is nice to know you won't have an "oh sh.t, where's the damn tent" moment.

That one you linked might be a good choice as well, but doesn't have the "coolness" factor as the Luci lol