PDA

View Full Version : blister prevention

squeezebox
11-06-2013, 03:58
Went out on a 5 mile club hike last Sat. after 2 miles started on a blister, 1 mile more the other heel started. Good boots just did not fit right. Hobbled in the rest of the distance, feet still hurt 5 days later. So I've got a blister issue. My point is, I think I'm going to do blister prevention by taping my heels to begin with , even before I get a blister. probably with cloth 1st aide tape, wont hold moisture the way duct tape would. Your opinion ??

gumball
11-06-2013, 07:04
It depends on your feet and how the boots are wearing. The tape could rub, come undone and create another blister area. My feet were blister fiends. I learned (for me) that blisters did not return if I:

-kept a lighter pack
-wore lighter shoes
-stopped wearing waterproof shoes (too much sweat, feet can't breathe--no evaporation)

Good luck. Blisters can really take the fun out of hiking.

Chair-man
11-06-2013, 07:33
I would suggest wearing snug fitting socks. Loose socks tend to become part of the boot and the sock will rub against your feet. With tight socks most of the friction is between the sock and the boot which is where you want it.

Maybe your boot is too stiff. Try these Merell Proterras (http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Search/Search.mvc.aspx?SearchText=proterra&search=Search), I have the mids, they feel like your wearing high top sneakers. I got mine a full size larger than my foot measures and added a gel insole - extreamly comfortable yet stable too. I love em, never get blisters.

hikerboy57
11-06-2013, 07:41
Went out on a 5 mile club hike last Sat. after 2 miles started on a blister, 1 mile more the other heel started. Good boots just did not fit right. Hobbled in the rest of the distance, feet still hurt 5 days later. So I've got a blister issue. My point is, I think I'm going to do blister prevention by taping my heels to begin with , even before I get a blister. probably with cloth 1st aide tape, wont hold moisture the way duct tape would. Your opinion ?? it won't work

ams212001
11-06-2013, 08:11
http://www.amazon.com/Fixing-Your-Feet-Prevention-Treatments/dp/0899976387/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383739795&sr=8-1&keywords=fixing+your+feet

This book has a lot of suggestions for preventing blisters and how to treat them if they do occur.

fredmugs
11-06-2013, 08:36
Good boots just did not fit right.

I don't know the terrain you hiked in but blisters don't start 2 miles in due to socks, weather, etc. They start that early because your footwear is not suited to your feet or your hiking style. I don't think hiker ingenuity is going to solve your problem. Get different footwear.

If you are going to go the tape route get some leukotape.

moldy
11-06-2013, 08:37
It's complicated. Taping up your known bad spots ahead of time might work for short day hikes. You will have to sort out the thing that will work for you. Finding the right shoe and socks may help. Getting your feet conditioned may take some pain and suffering with repeated blisters in the same area. That is how most thru-hikers crack the code.

tiptoe
11-06-2013, 09:08
For tight-fitting socks, try Darn Tough. Not cheap, but worth every penny, in my opinion. I never had blister problems after I switched to them.

CarlZ993
11-06-2013, 09:24
It depends on your feet and how the boots are wearing. The tape could rub, come undone and create another blister area. My feet were blister fiends. I learned (for me) that blisters did not return if I:

-kept a lighter pack
-wore lighter shoes
-stopped wearing waterproof shoes (too much sweat, feet can't breathe--no evaporation)

Good luck. Blisters can really take the fun out of hiking.
+1.

This works for me as well. I also use a footpowder called 'Blistershield' in my socks (no liner sock, just Smartwool, Darn Tough, or REI equivalent). Really helps. Good luck.

Coffee
11-06-2013, 09:37
Many years of running (~1500 miles/year) and, more recently, lots of mileage hiking has resulted in callouses where I used to get blisters. I almost never get blisters anymore either when running or hiking. I had one blister this year between two toes when I switched from boots to trail runners but I think that was a one time issue.

johnnybgood
11-06-2013, 09:44
Blisters occurring so early on means friction from I'll fitted shoes and / or moisture (sweat) retention.

I would try good hiking socks ,like Darn Tough and take those shoes back and get properly fitted before heading back out again

Drybones
11-06-2013, 09:56
1. Get shoes that fit your feet, without that it's an uphill battle all the way.
2. Do everything you can to keep feet dry and clean, take multiple socks and change regularly and wash the ones you take off, hang on pack to dry.
3. As soon as you feel a hot spot developing (wish I could take my own advice here), stop and deal with it before it becomes a major issue, put a coating of New Skin on it and bandage if needed, New Skin is the best treatment I've found, bandaids actually cause blisters at times.
4. Suck it up and keep walking, after a while the feet go numb.

msupple
11-06-2013, 10:13
For tight-fitting socks, try Darn Tough. Not cheap, but worth every penny, in my opinion. I never had blister problems after I switched to them. +1 I absolutely LOVE those socks! You can find some pretty good deals online but well worth it even at full retail.

HooKooDooKu
11-06-2013, 10:41
I've learned that when it comes to new boots, even when I have them sized correctly, the shape of my foot is such that I'm going to get blisters on the back of my heels until the boots have had a chance to get broken in really good.

In the mean time, I've found putting a layer of athletic tape over the back of my heels before I start hiking will prevent blisters until I've had a chance to get the boots broken in. Once the boots are broken in, I find I don't need the tape anymore.

I don't know exactly what tape would be the best. Any 1st Aid tape, athletic tape, and even duct tape will do the job. And since the tape isn't covering your whole foot, even if you used duct tape, you'd still be fine as long as you remove the tape at the end of the day and replace it at the start of each day.

shelb
11-07-2013, 00:02
Good boots just did not fit right.....?

Good is relative to YOUR foot! I have worn many a "good boot" and even broken them in, but I still had a problem with blisters.

Just Bill
11-07-2013, 01:35
Besides all the good advice above- Start walking barefoot. You don't need much, just a short stroll around the neighborhood for 15-20 minutes after dinner. You're supposed to be training anyway- walk three times a week barefoot.

Just Bill
11-07-2013, 01:37
Leukotape is the best tape, unless you need to tape up your boots- then you need duck tape. If you need to tape your duct work you need duct tape.

rickb
11-07-2013, 07:15
Went out on a 5 mile club hike last Sat. after 2 miles started on a blister, 1 mile more the other heel started. Good boots just did not fit right. Hobbled in the rest of the distance, feet still hurt 5 days later. So I've got a blister issue. My point is, I think I'm going to do blister prevention by taping my heels to begin with , even before I get a blister. probably with cloth 1st aide tape, wont hold moisture the way duct tape would. Your opinion ??

Why not moleskin?

Here is link to a poll that might be of interest. You have to scroll up a bit to see the bar chart with the 240 responses. Not sure why the link does take you there directly.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?7676-How-do-you-treat-a-blister&p=88267#post88267

Dogwood
11-07-2013, 09:13
I don't know the terrain you hiked in but blisters don't start 2 miles in due to socks, weather, etc. They start that early because your footwear is not suited to your feet or your hiking style. I don't think hiker ingenuity is going to solve your problem. Get different footwear......

Prolly right.

1. Get shoes that fit your feet, without that it's an uphill battle all the way....

Look at what those posters said. It's one thing if blisters are a temporary issue as a result of something like your shoes needing some break in time, you're trying out something new(socks, etc), you have tender feet that aren't accustomed to the rigors of trail hiking, you are hauling large cumbersome packs, etc. It's another issue if as you say the shoes didn't fit right. Get shoes that fit.

I think I read somewhere that you said you are in medicine(RN?). If your shoes don't fit your feet characteristics that is the cause(one of the causes?) of blisters. The blisters are the symptoms of the improper fitting shoes. TREAT THE CAUSE(address the root cause(s) not simply the symptoms.

If I was getting blisters 2 miles into a hike I would take that as prolly meaning I missed something perhaps me not matching the shoes to my feet characteristics. I think what happened to you could be a good example of what happens when hikers don't get the shoes right. It results in discomfort, then pain, and then the inability to enjoyably complete hikes.

Now, Bryce this is what happens. We learn. We figure out what isn't working. We adjust. No ONE knows everything - not in life, in medicine, nor in hiking. I get shoes wrong from time to time too. I'm not afraid to return or not use them(pass them on to to someone else who might use them). Check into hiking shoes that don't beat your feet up 2 miles into a hike.:) Give shoes a work out in the store - walk up and down an incline, jump, side step, heel/toe raises, brake, notice stability, wear the socks you will wear these shoes with, walk around in the shoes with your weighted pack - if you feel anything not comfortable it's a good sign that discomfort will increase they longer you wear/hike in the shoes, LEARN YOUR FOOT CHARACTERISTICS and MATCH YOUR SHOE MODEL WITH THOSE CHARACTERISTICS, get your feet examined by someone who spends the time with you who is knowledgable about feet(volume, instep, etc)/stride/pronation/arches, etc NOT JUST SHOES! AND is not just into one line of thinking when it comes to hiking shoes(like all hiking shoes must be European heavy leather mountaineering high top type shoes OR THE REVERSE). Get professional advice. Get the shoes right. There's no legit reason to be hiking in routinely uncomfortable shoes. i wouldn't put up with it. You shouldn't have to either.:sun

HooKooDooKu
11-07-2013, 10:38
If you need to tape your duct work you need duct tape.
Actually, duct tape is one of the worst things to use on your duct work. Simply put, it doesn't last.

As such, most building codes today require one of the various UL181 listed tapes (there's different tapes based on the type of duct work).

Slo-go'en
11-07-2013, 12:33
Why not moleskin?

It's too thick and like most all other adhesive products, it just doesn't stay put. Before long it's wedged between your toes causing more trouble then good.

Not only do you have to break in the boots, you have to break in your feet. Toughen up your feet by walking a lot and you'll have little or no trouble with blisters. In the mean time, your probably going to get blisters and the best way to treat them IMOHO is with a liquid bandage such as "New Skin" since it does not have the problems Moleskin and other bandages have. I.E., thier too thick and don't stay in place.

stranger
11-08-2013, 11:32
I would suggest wearing snug fitting socks. Loose socks tend to become part of the boot and the sock will rub against your feet. With tight socks most of the friction is between the sock and the boot which is where you want it.

Maybe your boot is too stiff. Try these Merell Proterras (http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Search/Search.mvc.aspx?SearchText=proterra&search=Search), I have the mids, they feel like your wearing high top sneakers. I got mine a full size larger than my foot measures and added a gel insole - extreamly comfortable yet stable too. I love em, never get blisters.

Agreed...many people assume a thicker shock is better for blisters but the sock compresses and bunches up, also as the sock compresses as you accumulate miles, you have to tighten up your shoes more. I've started using a thin, running sock and it's made a substantial difference.

Andrew Skurka recommends a single, tight, thin running sock. ALso get some Leuko tape

Drybones
11-08-2013, 12:38
Why not moleskin?

Moleskin works okay in certain areas, like the side of a foot, bandaids work in others, like when you have a small blister on the side of a toe. I take a few of several different items in hope that something will work, sometimes nothing is best, had a silver dollar size blister on the ball of my foot last time out that was best left alone except for some New Skin. First thing I go to is a coating of New Skin, wont peal off or wash off.

QiWiz
11-08-2013, 12:46

try trail runners instead of boots
the only people I see commonly get heel blisters are wearing boots
YMMV

Dogwood
11-08-2013, 13:18
Moleskin is a product not made by one company or under one label. As such some brands are thicker/thinner(Dr Scholls Moleskin Plus for example is a thicker product), more/less cushy, and more/less sticky. Read the labels. Look at the products. Consider and adjust if using Moleskin. I look for the thinner types at times. The thicker types at other times. Almost always go for the super sticky super adhesive Moleskin types. Sticks in place much better.

Here's a shorter list of the Moleskin brands I know of: Dr Scholls, Walgreen, Adventure, CVS, SUPER Moleskin, Curad, First Aid, Medline, etc.

Another Kevin
11-08-2013, 14:15
Leukotape is the best tape, unless you need to tape up your boots- then you need duck tape. If you need to tape your duct work you need duct tape.

No you need flue tape - the high temperature foil stuff. Duct tape is good for lots of things, but taping ducts isn't one of them.

Drybones
11-08-2013, 21:11
try trail runners instead of boots
the only people I see commonly get heel blisters are wearing boots
YMMV

I use trail runners but still get blisters if the feet stay wet long, the last outing they stayed pretty wet for the first 11-12 days, first got a blister on the ball of my foot (new one for me), then the sides of the heels, then the little toe. I recouped fairly fast from most of them once dry but that little toe just wouldn't go away, I actually believe the band aid on the adjacent toe caused this toe to blister. I've come to the conclusion that rocky terrain, after wet feet, is the major cause of blisters for me, your feet twist in all directions and once a blister starts that motion accellerates the damage. I may try a shoe with a firmer bottom than trail runners for the PA section next time out to reduce the twisting affect on the feet by rocks.

hikerboy57
11-08-2013, 21:21
i find its more the socks than the shoes.
first off shoes should fit right out of the box.there should be no break in period, otherwise you'll be in trouble when you have to switch out shoes during your hike.the real purpose of "breaking "in boots/shoes is to find out if the boots are right for you or not. expensive, i know, but when your trying on shoes, dont ever assume they'll feel better "once theyre broken in." they dont.
im much happier with trail runners, and the drier your shoes are , the happier your feet will be. but for me, all the difference has been the socks. ive been wearing darn tough socks now for 2 years and havent had so much as a hot spot.theyre absorbent, they breathe, they dry quickly,and they have just enough cushioning that doesnt bunch up under the toes.
some times it takes a while and some money to find the right shoe. experimenting with socks is a lot cheaper. army ant bought 8 pairs of shoes during his hike this year.maybe all he needed were the right socks.

Praha4
11-09-2013, 09:50
Ditto. Get this book, best resource available for blister prevention and blister treatment. FWIW, "Hydropel" is no longer available on the market ... one of the best alternative producst out there is "Sportslick". "Florida Mike"
http://www.amazon.com/Fixing-Your-Feet-Prevention-Treatments/dp/0899976387/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383739795&sr=8-1&keywords=fixing+your+feet

This book has a lot of suggestions for preventing blisters and how to treat them if they do occur.