PDA

View Full Version : Standing Bear Hostel (2013)

Cro-Mag
11-06-2013, 13:35
I would, however, like to share my experience from my stay at Standing Bear Hostel during my 2013 thru-hike. This thread is not intended to start an argument but to notify future hikers that Standing Bear might not be the place for you. I would also hope that Standing Bear takes a turn in a better direction from hikers speaking openly about their stay.
I believe in open communication and understanding there are always two sides to every story. Well, this is my side of the story (I omitted names from my post).

When I walked up to Standing Bear, I was shocked to see the amount of drug and alcohol use going on. I could care less if people drink or smoke, but this place had a vibe that drugs were more of a business than a leisure activity. I was greeted by three men who were smoking pot. I did not get a welcoming hello, but more of a “damn, another hiker showed up” response. One of the men showed me around and explained how the place worked. One of the “rules” was “If a girl says ‘No’, she means ‘No’”. It worried me that this “rule” needed to be said, let alone at one point enforced. Really??
When I was touring the bunk room, I noticed one of the workers had a bed in the same room where the hikers slept. I noticed a copy of Mein Kampf on his bed. This worker was covered in questionable tattoos and sported a shaved head (not to start a skinhead debate, but I know the difference between a traditional skinhead and a racist skinhead, yes they are two different things). Now, let me say that I am also covered in tattoos and would never judge someone else with heavy amounts of work. The same worker questioned me about my race while I was eating dinner. I found this humorous to be honest.
A hiker that I had spent a few days with prior to arriving at the hostel, had arrived earlier in the morning. He needed help getting a ride into town because his pack needed to be replaced. The hostel agreed to give him a ride into town around noon. At noon, the hiker went and asked if they could go into town. The worker said they would be able to go around 2:00 instead. The hiker went back at 2:00 and asked for a ride. The worker said he was too drunk and could not drive. The hiker had to call another shuttle to get a ride into town. Not only did this upset the hiker, but soon after the worker denied him of the ride, he drove off to pick up his daughter as school.
When I woke up in the morning, I was welcomed to a nice pile of puke in the middle of the walkway to the bunk house. The tattooed worker had a little too much to drink and had thrown up his pizza from the night before. A hiker asked if it could be cleaned up and the response was “It will rain soon enough.”

It upsets me knowing this hostel could be an amazing stop on the trail. I heard from hikers who thru-hiked in previous years, that the place had changed toward the negative side of things in recent years.

On the other side of the story, I spoke with 2013 hikers who enjoyed their stay at the hostel. To each their own I guess. I would like to hear about those positive experiences from their stay so hikers can make their own decisions on their hike.

Hill Ape
11-06-2013, 13:38
let it go, really

10-K
11-06-2013, 13:47
Yeah.. let it go. I was through there last week and had one of the best stops I had between Springer and Erwin.

Seatbelt
11-06-2013, 14:27
I stayed there last month for a nite and enjoyed it. Left my car for a couple of days while section hiking. I guess it just depends on when you are there.

hikerboy57
11-06-2013, 14:30
wasnt the original thread closed?it seems the overwhelming majority of people who have stayed there have had positive experiences.in most cases ive seen, where one was disappointed with a hostel, the hostel was rarely at fault.

Cro-Mag
11-06-2013, 14:48
Thank you for your replies.

I find it interesting that similar threads have been made about the same hostel though. In my opinion there is an issue being swept under the rug here.

Good point hikerboy57, I feel the same way about some issues in regards to hostels on here. I guess that is up to the reader to decide though.

I will let the mods and other forum members decide what they will do with this thread. I just know that while hiking on the trail this year, no other hostel was brought up more than Standing Bear was. I find that to be very interesting.

Good day to all and happy hiking!

CarlZ993
11-06-2013, 14:54
I stayed there are well during my NoBo 2013 hike. Lot of dope smoking going on there. I saw one guy residing there that had what appeared to be prison tattoos. I got the strong vibe that this establishment (or at least some of the people staying at the establishment) was involved in undocumented pharmaceutical work. As a retired cop, I kept my mouth shut and left early the next day and hiked on.

Logistically, it's a great location to stop. I'm unsure if I'd stop there if I do another thru-hike.

Starchild
11-06-2013, 15:41
There is obviously something going on at this place, but have the negatives really started to approach the positives, I don't know. There are certain negative aspects, and perhaps you caught a time when all line up, and therefore got a more negative experience then most. If this is trend they will fail (the AT will not allow it in the long run). I do feel that some attention must be paid to if this should be part of the AT community, but I am not willing to wright them off yet.

On my stay, and I am somewhat unusual in that good stuff comes to me while bad stuff is pushed away, so it would be unlikely that I would experience a bad stay, I found it OK, I had the Antarctic bunk, and had no issue with any of the staff. Rocket hinted to me that more then beer was available but I let it be at that. None of the staff seemed over intoxicated during my stay.

Coming out of the Smokies I welcome a stay, if it is unusual it adds to the AT thru hiking experience as long as it is not harmful, If it is harmful it should be removed from the AT experience IMHO.

ChinMusic
11-06-2013, 15:57
I found the "extra-curricular activities" easy enough to avoid. It was an interesting stop that added to my memories of the trail. I was treated very well by Curtis.

The Solemates
11-06-2013, 16:34
We've stayed with Curtis. We were the only guests, as it was early February. He had had way too much to drink (he caught himself on fire when we were there by starting a campfire with gasoline) and openly talked about where his drugs came from. we let it go, as others have. we were treated well. and curtis generally treats hikers well. but he does have issues.

Hill Ape
11-06-2013, 17:52
don't be coy. if you're going to play around at defamation and hurt a mans livelihood, just get it over with. the implication is what exactly? someone is cooking meth? please.

kofritz
11-06-2013, 17:52
as a section hiker i really looked forward to staying at Standing Bear and enjoyed my stay. i did not experience any of the stuff cro-mag complains of.

Slo-go'en
11-06-2013, 18:03
Or do what I do when passing through there - pass through there. I arrange my schedule to spend the night at Davenport Gap shelter, which is always really quiet. The next day go to Standing Bear, resupply and have a pizza for lunch, then move on. Pleanty of time to get to Groundhog creek shelter or one of the several campsites along the way on the climb up to Snowbird.

Cookerhiker
11-06-2013, 18:20
as a section hiker i really looked forward to staying at Standing Bear and enjoyed my stay. i did not experience any of the stuff cro-mag complains of.

Same here, on my SOBO section hike in '04. I was the only guest.

QHShowoman
11-06-2013, 19:40
The "let it go" comments are really irritating.

WB should welcome both positive and negative reviews, as long as they're written based on firsthand knowledge. If this is truly the only "bad review" in a sea of positive reviews, then there's no implicit threat -- just information that some may want to consider.

hikerboy57
11-06-2013, 19:43
The "let it go" comments are really irritating.

WB should welcome both positive and negative reviews, as long as they're written based on firsthand knowledge. If this is truly the only "bad review" in a sea of positive reviews, then there's no implicit threat -- just information that some may want to consider. the original thread was closed

SouthMark
11-06-2013, 19:54
I have stayed there on three different occasions and have had nothing but positive experiences.

QHShowoman
11-06-2013, 19:55
the original thread was closed

What meaning should I be extrapolating from this?

If it violated TOS, that's one thing. But if it was closed because someone was offended that the hostel in question received a poor review, then I think closing the thread was a disservice to the WB community.

hikerboy57
11-06-2013, 20:02
What meaning should I be extrapolating from this?

If it violated TOS, that's one thing. But if it was closed because someone was offended that the hostel in question received a poor review, then I think closing the thread was a disservice to the WB community.
the terms of service say we cannot reopen or discuss closed threads.there is a group that was formed for service providers to keep hearsay out of the main forums.this isnt a court where you're guilty till proven innocent.there have been numerous complaints about different hostels over the years, most without merit.its no different than staying ata shelter. if you dont like the vibe, you keep walking.

mrcoffeect
11-06-2013, 20:04
How many wacks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a dead horse?

hikerboy57
11-06-2013, 20:05
How many wacks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a dead horse?pretty much sums it up nicely

hikerboy57
11-06-2013, 20:16
the original thread was closedapologies, it wasnt just closed, it was deleted

QHShowoman
11-06-2013, 20:20
the terms of service say we cannot reopen or discuss closed threads.there is a group that was formed for service providers to keep hearsay out of the main forums.this isnt a court where you're guilty till proven innocent.there have been numerous complaints about different hostels over the years, most without merit.its no different than staying ata shelter. if you dont like the vibe, you keep walking.

"Hearsay" is information obtained through a secondhand source. But if someone posts a firsthand review of an experience with a service provider along the trail, it's not very helpful to the hiking community to filter or censor it just because it's negative. Let the information remain and people will take what they need and leave the rest.

hikerboy57
11-06-2013, 20:22
"Hearsay" is information obtained through a secondhand source. But if someone posts a firsthand review of an experience with a service provider along the trail, it's not very helpful to the hiking community to filter or censor it just because it's negative. Let the information remain and people will take what they need and leave the rest.
when it isnt corroborated its hearsay.

QHShowoman
11-06-2013, 20:22
apologies, it wasnt just closed, it was deleted

Which explains why I couldn't find a thread about the hostel that was closed.

hikerboy57
11-06-2013, 20:28
i dont get it. people just love bashing other people or their businesses. surprisingly standing bear has been around for quite a few years.if it was anywhere near as bad as the op claims, it would have closed down years ago.i'll say it again. there have been many complaints about various hostels over the yers, and usually the complaints are in the absolute minority. this would lead me to believe the hostel wasnt always the party in the wrong.you dont like how a place does business, then just dont stay there.start spreading these rumors, the establishment is forced to close, and everyone loses.

QHShowoman
11-06-2013, 20:29

Only if we're in court. And you've already said we're not.

Cro-Mag
11-06-2013, 20:39
Hi Hikerboy,

I am not sure if this was directed towards me because I made the thread, but are you saying that my experience is hearsay? In the long run, it doesn't really matter what either of us say, but please do not hint at the fact that what I wrote was falsely stated. It is insulting. What I wrote was all first hand experience, I in fact left out stories that were told to me secondhand, which could not be corroborated.

Thanks!
Salad Days

Rasty
11-06-2013, 20:43
How many wacks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a dead horse?

hikerboy57
11-06-2013, 20:45
Hi Hikerboy,

I am not sure if this was directed towards me because I made the thread, but are you saying that my experience is hearsay? In the long run, it doesn't really matter what either of us say, but please do not hint at the fact that what I wrote was falsely stated. It is insulting. What I wrote was all first hand experience, I in fact left out stories that were told to me secondhand, which could not be corroborated.

Thanks!
Salad Days
im just saying you should be careful about accusing people of illegal acts in a public forum.its their livelihood. you dont like the way a hostel runs,keep walking. its not rocket science.thres no ball and chain forcing you to stay there.

Don H
11-06-2013, 20:47
I stayed there and find the OPs observations accurate.
It's not so much the owner as it is the help he hires.

HikerMom58
11-06-2013, 20:55
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?83140-Avoid-Standing-Bear-Hostel

Here's the thread y'all....^

Do y'all remember growing up & at some point ur mom telling you that you needed to accept & eat the beets you didn't like b/c someone in Africa was starving? That's what the comments on this thread remind me of... If someone had a negative experience & you believe them. ( there's absolutely no reason not to believe Cro-mag) Then, 50 million people saying that they had a great experience, forget about it or just get over it doesn't mean much to the OP ....just sayin. Meaningless jiber jaber.

I believe he has a right to share his experience just as much as anyone else does that had a positive experience. I sincerely believe we all feel bad, for everyone concerned, that it was negative one.

Cro-Mag
11-06-2013, 21:03
im just saying you should be careful about accusing people of illegal acts in a public forum.its their livelihood. you dont like the way a hostel runs,keep walking. its not rocket science.thres no ball and chain forcing you to stay there.
Agreed, a public forum is not the best place. If the mods choose to remove the thread or the drug related talk, I am fine with that.

Sure, no ball and chain forcing me, but that shouldn't keep me from speaking up. I believe your generation taught me that.

I'll let you have the final word, as I am not here to get into arguments with fellow hikers.

Thanks!
Salad Days

Tuckahoe
11-06-2013, 21:03

Hearsay is giving the details of an event as related to the Iindividual by another party. This would be a case if the OP had started this thread off by stating "I heard..." Andthe moderators are correct in filtering out those posts and service providers are correct in seeking to block them.

On the other hand the event was related first hand. These are things that the OP himself saw and is a legitimate review/complaint. Lack of corroboration does not make it hearsay, just an unwitnessed event.

As has been stated most complaints against service providers ars usually unfounded and WB is good at sniffing out such posts. Entitled hiker threads, the "The Place is bad causse they kicked us out for drinking beers..." come to mind.

If the OP's post is baseless then attack it on its lack of merit. However, it seems no one is actually adressing the facts as the OP gives them in his case.

mrcoffeect
11-06-2013, 21:06
i knew it was something like that. i always lose count around 3. I have ADD.

Rasty
11-06-2013, 21:07

Do y'all remember growing up & at some point ur mom telling you that you needed to accept & eat the beets you didn't like b/c someone in Africa was starving? That's what the comments on this thread remind me of... If someone had a negative experience & you believe them. ( there's absolutely no reason not to believe Cro-mag) Then, 50 million people saying that they had a great experience, forget about it or just get over it doesn't mean much to the OP ....just sayin. Meaningless jiber jaber.

I believe he has a right to share his experience just as much as anyone else does that had a positive experience. I sincerely believe we all feel bad, for everyone concerned, that it was negative one.

I guess some people don't think Whiteblaze is the best place to go on a witch hunt. Marijuana use is legal in four states now so it's here to stay for those that want that crap. No better or worse then alcohol or trail feeds without temporary health department permits.

Tuckahoe
11-06-2013, 21:07

I was stubborn and pig headed enough that I never ate the beets... my mom learned that if she were concerned about the starving kids in Africa, she should have mailed them the damn beets.

HikerMom58
11-06-2013, 21:21
I guess some people don't think Whiteblaze is the best place to go on a witch hunt. Marijuana use is legal in four states now so it's here to stay for those that want that crap. No better or worse then alcohol or trail feeds without temporary health department permits.

True dat... some people don't want to know. Some people do.. Ahh... I almost forgot the smiley face... :)

I was stubborn and pig headed enough that I never ate the beets... my mom learned that if she were concerned about the starving kids in Africa, she should have mailed them the damn beets.

That's funny Tuck... I'm glad to learn I wasn't the only one that was pig headed and stubborn. ;)

hikerboy57
11-06-2013, 21:21
Agreed, a public forum is not the best place. If the mods choose to remove the thread or the drug related talk, I am fine with that.

Sure, no ball and chain forcing me, but that shouldn't keep me from speaking up. I believe your generation taught me that.

I'll let you have the final word, as I am not here to get into arguments with fellow hikers.

Thanks!
Salad Daysyeah me neither.just felt the argument was going down a road we'd already been down. i dont doubt your experience there.
and you are entitled to speak up if you see something wrong. you have my apology.
we've had similar threads begun by service providers with complaints about various hikers, and it turns out, theres almost always two sides to the story.im sorry i suggested you were being disingenuous.im sure your motives are not.

hikerboy57
11-06-2013, 21:23

the thread i referred to was deleted.

kayak karl
11-06-2013, 21:31
You had a bad vibe from the start! Why did you stay? Pay for a shower/food and roll out.

mrcoffeect
11-06-2013, 21:36
All I know is that when I stayed there, I treated everyone the way I wanted to be treated. And they treated me in kind. in other words I acted like a respectful and thankful guest. And was treated like a welcome guest

HikerMom58
11-06-2013, 21:43
the thread i referred to was deleted.

Got ya!!! :)

Alligator
11-06-2013, 21:57
A lot of problems with this thread...

Alligator
11-07-2013, 02:25
Not trying to sweep this under the rug but the initial post breaks #2, 3, & 4 of the user agreement. Other users are breaking #3 and not following #15. To the OP, your post in the other thread broke #2. We could delete it, reopen it, or leave it closed, gonna be somebody unhappy no matter what. I will go with closed at least for now.