PDA

View Full Version : What tent did you use on your thru hike?

Happy44
11-06-2013, 21:39
i did 500m last year from duncannon to pearsburg and had such a bad tent, i had the eureka spitfire tent which gave me problems from the start with it not being a free standing tent and the fact that i was way to small. i could not fit me and my pack, i even had some trouble fitting me. im looking to a tent that will fit me needs of me and my pack, and wanted to ask you guys of great wisdom which tent you recommend? i was thinking off the limelight 2 or the rei half dome thx happy 2012 :)

Don H
11-06-2013, 21:41
Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo
http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/LunarSolo.html

Happy44
11-06-2013, 21:44
that tent is not free standing!

Leanthree
11-06-2013, 21:51
So you are asking 2 different questions. One is what tent people used on their thru, the other is what tent best fits your needs after your bad experience with the spitfire.

Based on what you said you wanted in a tent, I think the MSR Hubba Hubba makes sense for you.

Happy44
11-06-2013, 22:05
wow, that tent looks nice, hows the durability of that tent?

RCBear
11-06-2013, 23:39
I have the halfdome 2 and love it. Get all my gear in and can still move around. Good ventilation and I like having 2 entry/exit points with vestibules. That said, its not super light and im not sure if I would want it on a 2000 miler. But for smaller sections, I love the versatility.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

alexandra
11-06-2013, 23:41
I have the limelight 2. It is a great tent, roomy,but heavy for a thru. I'm taking a big agnes flycreek ul1 for my thru. I would look into a big agnes copper spur or as a poster mentioned msr hubba.

Starchild
11-07-2013, 00:09
I used the zpack heximid, not free standing but 17 oz total. Perfect for a thru IHMO

Before that I was considering using a MSR Carbon Reflex (1), which was advertized as 2lbs 2 oz but when all is said and done came in IIRC 2lbs 6 oz. That also was not free standing but pretty close and can be made free standing by using 2 treking poles. The Carbon Reflex is very similar to the Hubba.

In the Carbon reflesx the pack stays in the vestibule, in the Heximid the pack comes inside.

evyck da fleet
11-07-2013, 00:17
Used a Big Agnes Fly Creek 1. Kept my pack in the tent at night although it required putting the sleeping pad along one side of the tent wall instead of the middle due to limited space. Didn't have a problem with that and was glad to save the weight.

pmushock
11-07-2013, 00:53
I went from Damascus to Springer last fall and started with an Eureka Solitaire, which is a pos, but switched Big Agnes Seedhouse 1 in Gatlinburg, but I left my pack under the vestibule. I highly recommend any Big Agnes tent.

Just Bill
11-07-2013, 01:06
expensive but nice-http://www.rei.com/product/846932/mountain-hardwear-supermega-ul-1-tent
on sale- popular choice-http://www.rei.com/product/796087/big-agnes-fly-creek-ul2-tent-2013
on sale- many find this a bit tight- but still popular- http://www.rei.com/product/779612/big-agnes-fly-creek-ul1-tent-2013
not worth the money- but people buy it- http://www.rei.com/product/810034/msr-carbon-reflex-1-tent

Kelty and REI tents fit budgets better, but you won't break 3 pounds. You can "tune" them up by buying better poles and trimming a bit- but at that point you might as well spend a bit more. There are several options around $200 that just break 3 pounds.

bobtomaskovic
11-07-2013, 02:27
Sierra Designs Clip 3 CD wish they still made them. Like a hotel room for 1 person.

Astro
11-07-2013, 09:43
Used a Big Agnes Fly Creek 1. Kept my pack in the tent at night although it required putting the sleeping pad along one side of the tent wall instead of the middle due to limited space. Didn't have a problem with that and was glad to save the weight.

Thanks for posting that. Just ordered a Fly Creek 1 to use instead of my current Seedhouse 2. When I bought the Seedhouse 2 my son was hiking with me, and I was enjoying the extra space since he stopped. But with almost 1.5 lbs weight savings I was feeling it was worth the purchase. So great to see your positive feedback that it worked for you.

Old Hiker
11-07-2013, 09:44
Started with a hammock - couldn't get used to getting out in the morning with cold rain, wind, etc. so I had to switch back to my ALPS Zephyr 1 for the rest of my 500 mile attempt. Large enough for me (6'2") with pack in front vestibule. Had a GREAT e-mail review from another member. Bought 3 at the time from Steep and Cheap.

I have since switched to a LightHeart Gear SoLong 6 (Shameless plug: I have one for sale on the Used Gear forum). I'm using that one in 2016 for my next attempt. My ALPS tents were loaned to another thru-hike attempt.

slbirdnerd
11-07-2013, 12:46
Have not thru'd but highly recommend a Big Agnes Fly Creek (go for the UL2) or Copper Spur. Very lightweight, still a tent, and very good ones at that. I use a Fly Creek UL2. It is freestanding but be aware it's just not quite right (sags) unless it's staked and guyed. Mainebob and his daughter used this tent on their attempted thru this year.

CarlZ993
11-07-2013, 14:02
For most of the hike, I used the Zpacks Hexamid Solo-plus. Really light. But, I mainly used shelters. In VT, I ended up getting EMS Velocity-1 (one person freestanding tent). I didn't like how the Hexamid handled a really bad storm I was in. Got a little wet. Undoubtedly some user error involved here. The EMS tent was okay. It was a little heavier than I would have liked and a little shorter than I would like. I wanted to buy the Big Agnes Copper Spur-1 but the EMS store didn't carry it.

off-pher
11-07-2013, 15:01
I used a clip flash lite and still use it
I think its a good roomy tent
simi light plenty of room for me
my dog and our gear.

hikerboy57
11-07-2013, 15:04
Thanks for posting that. Just ordered a Fly Creek 1 to use instead of my current Seedhouse 2. When I bought the Seedhouse 2 my son was hiking with me, and I was enjoying the extra space since he stopped. But with almost 1.5 lbs weight savings I was feeling it was worth the purchase. So great to see your positive feedback that it worked for you.
if you can, i highly recommend switching to the ul2. the extra space is absolutely worth the extra weight.

Transient Being
11-07-2013, 15:19
not freestanding, but i really like my lightheart solo

macfriend
11-07-2013, 16:43
How important do you guys think a free standing tent is? Like how often does one actually need that option. If you pick good tent pads, than do you ever really need the freestanding option?

atmilkman
11-07-2013, 16:56
How important do you guys think a free standing tent is? Like how often does one actually need that option. If you pick good tent pads, than do you ever really need the freestanding option?

I have a freestanding tent and when it's windy out you still have to stake it out first, no real advantage there. In the morning it's nice to be able to lay it over on it's side and let the floor dry and it's nice to be able to pick it up and shake the dirt out. I guess after you have it set up it's nice to be able to relocate it but again if it's real windy it just ain't gonna happen. In looking for a tent I wouldn't let freestanding be the one factor that sways your choice.

Nooga
11-07-2013, 17:14
I used a Light Heart (not free standing) on my hike, however in my observation, Big Agnes were the most popular tents.

RCBear
11-07-2013, 17:15

Much easier to set up, take down and shake out in the morning. Im too spoiled to deal with non free standing anymore :p

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Prime Time
11-07-2013, 17:49
I don't think freestanding is all that important. Sure you will probably pitch on a few platforms, especially in the Whites, but if you bring a little extra line foe guying out your tent on these few instances you'll be fine. I used a Big Agnes Copper spur 1 on my thru hike and LOVED it. It's a real tent that performed great in all weather, never leaked one drop, and was unaffected by 60 mph winds on an open bald. The advantages over the Fly Creek are: side entrance vs dog house entrance, much bigger vestibule (critical for cooking on a rainy morning at a stealth site), and support poles to spread out the foot end of the tent. These advantages are well worth the 5 extra ounces. I highly recommend it.

Chief One Bad Knee
11-07-2013, 18:02
Hi, I just bought an REI passage 2, and tried it out in a very humid and cool days on a campsite in Florida. I own a Eureka Zeus 2 which I always use in all my backpacking trips. The Passage 2 Is a few ounces heavier than the Zeus 2, but if you take all the bags out it won't be to bad. The one thing I did notice, NO CONDENSATION! Which the Eureka was terrible with condensation. I really like this tent and the fact if has two doors, sometimes when hiking a long ways comfort is a must.

Stinkbug
11-07-2013, 18:38
That is what I am saving for..... I have compared several of the tents above and the Lightheart Solo sounds like a great fit for me. Thinking about getting the Wedge option. Not free standing, but that is OK.

steve0423
11-07-2013, 18:41
thru'd with a Lightheart solo cuben...
I rave about it on a regular basis on WB...
Once you've pitched it a half dozen times, you should be able to throw up a non free standing tent in no time, if not, stick to the free standing...
I found i could pitch mine as fast or faster then folks with free standing tents. I also only had a few occasions when it was necessary to pitch it really quickly.
I pitched mine on wooden platforms 5 or 6 times with little fuss. The first time I tied a piece of spectra cord to either end and tied off to the metal eye bolts on the platform. I just left the cord on the tent for future platform pitching and it worked great all the up to the platform at The Birches.

Now that being said, I saw a guy struggle to pitch his Lightheart SoLong 6 on a platform, (due mostly to the way the corners have to be staked out), and I saw a couple fight to pitch a Tarptent StratoSpire 2 on a platform and swear never to do it again. So I guess it depends on the the design of the tent.

Lightheart Solo in cuben! woot woot!!

If you want a full on tent and not a tarp setup and it's in your budget, I can't imagine a better tent for a thru.
(my 2 cents)

None yet
11-09-2013, 12:07
A thru hiking friend recommended the Big Agnes Scout UL2 - anyone use this one?

Phikes
11-09-2013, 12:40
TT Contrail. DO IT!

Happy44
11-09-2013, 13:41
the real thing i had trouble with was my non freestanding tent was locations, to many rocks in every location, 1 hour later still cant find the right spot , this was an every night thing! ill take the extra 2 pounds and lower price vs shaving sometimes an hour every night trying to find the right spot to camp! thx for all ur help guys,

MinnesotaRambler
11-09-2013, 19:40
I have a big agnes copper spur ul 1 and I haven't used it on any thru hikes but I've spent around 20 nights in total in it on the Superior Hiking Trail in northern Minnesota. I was using the mar hubba hubba the two previous seasons. I looked into a lot of different free standing one person tents and this is the only one I have found so far that doesn't make me feel claustrophobic. It fits my Granite Gear Blaze AC and my 72" neo air sleeping pad inside the tent. The vestibule is great for cooking in back weather, storing shoes, trekking poles, cook kit, and water bottles. I am looking into a tarp tent at the moment to shed another 1.5 lbs. off my base weight.

Don H
11-09-2013, 20:26
that tent is not free standing!
Yep, and I use hiking poles so I don't carry tent poles either. Duel purpose UL mentality on my part. Plus the tent only weighs 23 oz.

After 3,000 plus AT miles and a hundred of weekend camping trips with this tent I'd say not being freestanding is not an issue. I've pitched it on wooden tent platforms with no problem.

Drybones
11-10-2013, 10:21
I have a freestanding tent and when it's windy out you still have to stake it out first, no real advantage there. In the morning it's nice to be able to lay it over on it's side and let the floor dry and it's nice to be able to pick it up and shake the dirt out. I guess after you have it set up it's nice to be able to relocate it but again if it's real windy it just ain't gonna happen. In looking for a tent I wouldn't let freestanding be the one factor that sways your choice.

Agree. I've never seen a situation where a free standing tent would be an advantage for me. The only place I can think of a free standing tent might be usefull is if you're setting up in a shelter, but that's not what shelters are for.

Nooga
11-10-2013, 11:38
Yep, and I use hiking poles so I don't carry tent poles either. Duel purpose UL mentality on my part. Plus the tent only weighs 23 oz.

After 3,000 plus AT miles and a hundred of weekend camping trips with this tent I'd say not being freestanding is not an issue. I've pitched it on wooden tent platforms with no problem.

Agree. This was my experience as well.

Marta
11-10-2013, 12:46
Rarely is it necessary to have a non-freestanding tent, but every minute that you're walking it's good to carry a lighter tent. In 2006 I carried a Tarptent Virga I. These days I like Lightheart tents. I'm in the process of getting a new one. :-)

mainebob
11-10-2013, 14:22
We picked up one in Damascus. It was an epic failure. The condensation was terrible. The front door does not have bug netting and you have to keep the front door open for any ventilation. When I talked with big agnes they admitted it was a design problem. Good idea but poor execution.

mainebob
11-10-2013, 14:36
[QUOTE=mainebob:1815692]We picked up one in Damascus. It was an epic failure. The condensation was terrible. The front door does not have bug netting and you have to keep the front door open for any ventilation. When I talked with big agnes they admitted it was a design problem. Good idea but poor execution.[/QUOT

Fyi a big agnes scout

fishfeet
11-10-2013, 15:07
I got a Eureka Spitfire as my tent for my thru-hike this year and guess what...I took it all the way to Katahdin. $120 bucks. Enough said.

fishfeet
11-10-2013, 15:12
I'd also like to add that i saw less than 1 in 20 people using any of these cottage industry tents like a Lightheart or a Six Moons Design. If it RAINS 100 out of 170 days like it did this year then it wont matter what tent you have because they all eventually become soaking wet messes...and you find yourself looking for a spot in a shelter anyway (regardless of how much you'll hate them and how many times you swore you'd never stay in one again).

Whack-a-mole
11-10-2013, 16:30
I really like my BA CS2. I'm a big guy, and it fits me pretty good. Probably bigger than the average hiker needs. Switched from a Sierra Designs clip flashlight mentioned above. The CF is ok if you are a little person and still young. It is very hard to get out of in the morning. The top dips so low that you can't even roll over on your hands and knees to get dressed. My Copper Spur is way bigger, and weighs less. Why go backwards???

matt923
11-10-2013, 16:36
On my sections this spring, I used a Gatewood Cape and had no problems whatsoever. Room for me and my pack, and weighed only 11 ounces.

RED-DOG
11-10-2013, 16:48
On my 2012 thru i used the Marmot EOS 1 person, and i liked it a lot.

xokie
11-10-2013, 17:17
not freestanding, but i really like my lightheart solo

Me too. I'm a bigger than average fellow and the lightheart solo has enough room for me, my pack at my side, sundry possible stuff at the pointy ends and my muddy boots in the vestibule.

swjohnsey
11-10-2013, 19:12
Big Anges Flycreek I. You will see lots of 'em for a reason.

cliffdiver
01-08-2014, 00:13
A thru hiking friend recommended the Big Agnes Scout UL2 - anyone use this one?

I used Scout UL2 for 800 miles this year on my attempt. I thought it was a palace for the weight- 1lb 9oz. It could suck to pitch in a hurry till you learned how, but overall a great tent. Never leaked, dried quickly and lot's of room, not much more you can ask of a tent.

doobe01
01-08-2014, 12:10
I used a Big Agnes FlyCreek 2 Platinum. Couldn't beat it for the weight and room. Only problem I had was when my dog jumped through the screen door. Big Agnes sent a new body to me in Gatlinburg, TN.

swjohnsey
01-08-2014, 12:50
Big Agnes has excellent customer service. Developed a trip at taped seam over door and BA sent a replacement to Rangley.

Ender
01-08-2014, 12:58
I used a Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight 2.

But then, I did the AT in 1998, and probably a solid 75% of hikers* were using that tent that year.

*Statistics totally and completely made up by me.

q-tip
01-08-2014, 15:57
Tarp Tent Contrail-best tent for me

lonehiker
01-08-2014, 16:29
MSR Missing Link. Retired it last year. It is sad to say that its replacement, the MSR Fast Stash, is crap.

Kingbee
01-08-2014, 18:55
I went from Damascus to Springer last fall and started with an Eureka Solitaire, which is a pos, but switched Big Agnes Seedhouse 1 in Gatlinburg, but I left my pack under the vestibule. I highly recommend any Big Agnes tent.

+1 on the Big Agnes Seedhouse 1

01-08-2014, 18:59
I want to say something not to bad mouth a product but just say what was observed. All the single wall one pole design tents are very light but I did see lots of folks struggle to put them up by themselves in the wind, or tricky soil, to loose or to hard. They fell down or were to saggy. The Big Anges Flycreek I was very popular, but it drips inside the tent when opened when wet or raining, front entry is not very easy, it is not free standing the back end must be staked out. The Big Anges seedhouse I , is free standing and the rain fly is longer all the way around the tent, nice tight set up can picked up and shake out the litter/dirt. 8 oz heaiver than the flyceek. MY choice best of all was the Nemo OBi 1 or 2, EZ set up, free standing, side entry and the rain fly covered 90% of my pack which was accessible just outside the door. A pole was snapped and a pole foot was lost and NEMO replaced at no charge. The dog went thru the screen, summer came and it was sent home and the seed house replaced it. The Nemo was better BUT, it is a pound heavier.

swjohnsey
01-08-2014, 21:07
Seedhouse I and Flycreek I are about identical except for weight of material.

Nick P
01-08-2014, 22:29

I'm planning on using a Eureka Solitaire on my SOBO thru this July; did you use a groundsheet underneath it? Did your poles hold up ok, or should I order an extra set? (thanks)

Footer
01-09-2014, 07:14
I'm planning on using a Eureka Solitaire on my SOBO thru this July; did you use a groundsheet underneath it? Did your poles hold up ok, or should I order an extra set? (thanks)

The GoLite Imogene UL2 Tent is a nice tent.

Lucy Lulu
01-09-2014, 12:36
Hexamid Plus